Medics school background check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sadlyanon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

One of the medical schools I am interested in and am accepted to does background checks. I wanted to ask some questions about the details of the background check.

First off I did have a citation expunged off my record at 19 for underage drinking. I didn’t list it on amcas bc it’s neither a misdemeanor nor a felony. I don’t want to hid it and have it be an issue later, should I call and tell them what happened before they run they background checks?

Also 1 clinical activity on my application has changed due to me fired/let go from my full time job. I quoted 2000 hours but only completed 1000 so far.
When I was hired I was very honest and told them I would be taking time off for interviews. The woman who hired me said it would be fine. The woman who hired me also is no longer with our practice and the new manager wasn’t happy with me taking time off. I would get denied requests off for interviews out of state, and I would put the request in at least 3 weeks in advance. Often times 4-6 weeks in advance. Still denied so I just didn’t show up. When I didn’t show up I was written up. I technically got fired for being denied time off to vote this November, which is illegal in MD and is something I am annoyingly dealing with. Getting into medical school is important and I understand, as a previous manger, how important staffing is. But I can’t schedule my medical school opportunities around a practice who doesn’t even look out for my well being The only reason I didn’t quit was because it was paying $20+ and obviously applying to medical school is expensive.
So my 3100 clinical hrs on my app turned out to be 2000 which is a slight difference I suppose. Do I call the schools and tell them that I’ve been fired?? I really value my acceptances and don’t want anything to ruin/ revoke my start of education 2019.
Also, What do I do for future interviews ?

Any help from admissions @Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn @gonnif would be great!! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.