Meeting with Admisison Dean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saildawg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking with an acquaintance yesterday, and he told me to set up an appointment with the dean of admissions before/while applying. Is it a good idea to email him and try to make an appointment already? I want to look interested, but not desperate and overzealous. Do applicants usually try to schedule meetings before they interview? Thanks for any help

Members don't see this ad.

saildawg said:
I was talking with an acquaintance yesterday, and he told me to set up an appointment with the dean of admissions before/while applying. Is it a good idea to email him and try to make an appointment already? I want to look interested, but not desperate and overzealous. Do applicants usually try to schedule meetings before they interview? Thanks for any help

I don't think it hurts. The director of admissions near where I am is pretty involved in outreach, so it's nothing strange for the school. I mean, I came to their house just to chat...but the conversation ended up being focused on medical school entry. If anything, you can "pick" their brain to see how medical school admissions people may think.

When I was put on hold for an interview, my PI hooked me up to meet with the director of admissions at my undergrad's med school to see what I can do with app. It ended up I didn't need it b/c the same day as I was suppose to meet her, the adcom pushed my app forward for an interview....but anyways...i talked to her over the phone, and she was really nice about telling me what else I could add to my app. Depends on the school and if they are willing to do that.....but I think it's a good idea.

saildawg said:

It'll only look desperate/overzealous if you arrive at the dean's office wearing kneepads, holding a bottle of mouthwash, and start telling the dean that you have no gag reflex right before opening your mouth for an extended period of time.

More seriously, as long as you make the visit purposeful by focusing your questions strictly on admissions to said school and not currying for favor/ingratiating...you should be fine.