You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Memes of Podiatry
Started by GreenHousePub
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ophtho bro brought out the diamond burr for MOTY. Pack it up boys 😂
Who care. Podiatry burns like Rome
We did it here first.
BeaverBlade
Full Member
I thought the only way to make money off plantar warts was to not effectively treat it.
And the classifieds at the bottom of PM News has someone trying to sell their SWIFT machine lol
Here's your reminder that the clinical data supporting Swift for IPKs is a case series with N=2
I am always amused by the steady volume of Swift and lasers being sold. A certain Huckster out of California was selling his lunula lasers and what not the other day. And it is amusing to know that second market Swift devices apparently get no support.And the classifieds at the bottom of PM News has someone trying to sell their SWIFT machine lol
So what you’re saying is that there are multiple documented success stories???Here's your reminder that the clinical data supporting Swift for IPKs is a case series with N=2
But these lasers make a ton of money though, I know someone who charges $1k per toenail....PER TOENAIL. Dude is swimming in money and apparently "it works". I haven't tried it yet but I have had lot of patients inquire and willing to pay but I don't do them.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But these lasers make a ton of money though, I know someone who charges $1k per toenail....PER TOENAIL. Dude is swimming in money and apparently "it works". I haven't tried it yet but I have had lot of patients inquire and willing to pay but I don't do them.
I could list all the easy reasons why this isn't true - because they don't work, because most patients aren't actually willing to pay, because if there was an effective laser everyone would have it including much wealthier medical specialities who would outcompete you ie. the dermatologists would simply have their NPs and PAs doing it.
The real reason though is because if you had a laser that worked - you wouldn't charge $1000 for it. You could, but if it was so "easy" you would rapidly become flexible on the pricing because if it was profitable at $1000 - I got news for you - its profitable at $500 a toe also with a much larger number of people willing to pay. $500 a toe would still be the easiest money in the world.
You know who claims he cures toenail fungus super effectively? The PM News California hackjob.. Funny story - he was just selling a bunch of lasers on PM News.
At $1,000 a nail, T. rubrum isn’t a pathogen. It's a business partner.
FOMO like this is how you end up selling a bricked SWIFT on PM News for 60% off list.But these lasers make a ton of money though, I know someone who charges $1k per toenail....PER TOENAIL. Dude is swimming in money and apparently "it works". I haven't tried it yet but I have had lot of patients inquire and willing to pay but I don't do them.
Wtf I can’t even convince my patients to do it for a hundred, and that’s all the toes!But these lasers make a ton of money though, I know someone who charges $1k per toenail....PER TOENAIL. Dude is swimming in money and apparently "it works". I haven't tried it yet but I have had lot of patients inquire and willing to pay but I don't do them.
Probably need to move to a HCOL place.Wtf I can’t even convince my patients to do it for a hundred, and that’s all the toes!
Already am. The problem with HCOL areas are boomers don’t wanna spend cashProbably need to move to a HCOL place.
I took a deep dive into laser treatments last year. Basically, podiatry is really badly situated for "laser surgery." Let's assume the demand is there...
-You're still only licensed to treat foot/leg problems like fungus and telangiectasias. You'll never cash in on the really lucrative treatments like wrinkle reduction, hair removal, or removal of pigmented lesions.
-These treatments are time consuming. It's a 15-30 min visit, and that's $100-300 of opportunity cost unless you're not busy. If you are busy, you could in theory train your assistants to do the laser treatments, which warrants a conversation about liability, certifications, how much of a premium do you pay your staff to do this, how do you handle the patient volume when--not if--they call out sick
-Unlike a swift, lasers cost a LOT. Like a mortgage payment.
-If you want to re-brand your entire practice as a med spa this can still all pay off. But now you're introducing marketing expenses on top of your labor and equipment expenses.
-Do a quick google search, there are probably a couple of NPs in your area already doing this. You want to jump from the saturated market for podiatry services into the saturated market of cosmetic dermatology?
-You're still only licensed to treat foot/leg problems like fungus and telangiectasias. You'll never cash in on the really lucrative treatments like wrinkle reduction, hair removal, or removal of pigmented lesions.
-These treatments are time consuming. It's a 15-30 min visit, and that's $100-300 of opportunity cost unless you're not busy. If you are busy, you could in theory train your assistants to do the laser treatments, which warrants a conversation about liability, certifications, how much of a premium do you pay your staff to do this, how do you handle the patient volume when--not if--they call out sick
-Unlike a swift, lasers cost a LOT. Like a mortgage payment.
-If you want to re-brand your entire practice as a med spa this can still all pay off. But now you're introducing marketing expenses on top of your labor and equipment expenses.
-Do a quick google search, there are probably a couple of NPs in your area already doing this. You want to jump from the saturated market for podiatry services into the saturated market of cosmetic dermatology?
Those look like something Dr. Death would use for a circ.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rapidly scrolls through MIS powerpoint slides.
Fun/scary fact: we use them on eyes tooOphtho bro brought out the diamond burr for MOTY. Pack it up boys 😂
...just kidding, we know orthopedic surgeons don't need to browse job listings to find work
I love it!View attachment 424684
How @NatCh markets himself.
Haha, that’s kind of accurate (and funny)! 👊🏼
AmazingView attachment 424848
...just kidding, we know orthopedic surgeons don't need to browse job listings to find work
MOTY candidate.View attachment 424848
...just kidding, we know orthopedic surgeons don't need to browse job listings to find work
Thank you
But still continues on until residency. Then complains more, but this time it's about job outlook and pay.
So....everyone on here?But still continues on until residency. Then complains more, but this time it's about job outlook and pay.
I feel attacked.
Bro the highly coveted Kaiser jobs paying the nurses more than they pay the pods..RN works 3 days a week vs 7 years trained podiatrist works 50hrs a week and free call for competitive pay of 150k.
View attachment 424899
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
RN works 3 days a week vs 7 years trained podiatrist works 50hrs a week and free call for competitive pay of 150k.
View attachment 424899
Yea but the podiatrist gets to be called a doctor! How cool is that?!
Out of curiosity, what's the dayshift make?
If you want to make a career out of working nights, that's going to take a toll on you
If you want to make a career out of working nights, that's going to take a toll on you
BeaverBlade
Full Member
There’s a nursing shortage.
There’s not a podiatrist shortage.
There’s not a podiatrist shortage.
That's an interesting comparison. The job market dynamics for nursing is very different.There’s a nursing shortage.
There’s not a podiatrist shortage.
DPMs--high cost of entry, skills not transferrable, so not much attrition. A lot of pods get in to deep and are trapped. Or maybe they love their jobs. Or maybe it's both and we get Stockholm Syndrome. But poor ROI limits entrants, hence the projected podiatry "shortage."
RNs--comparably low cost of entry, skills are transferrable but you're easily replaceable. Therefore hospitals/admins use and abuse them. High burnout. Attrition is real. You might get your $230k in San Francisco but the hospital is taking their pound of flesh out of you in return. You can unionize to push back but that's all the leverage you have. [Bedside] nursing shortage driven by high exit rate from the profession.