Men's Interview Clothing #2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be weird because I really don't like oxford, especially in white. The only time I like it is in a light blue OCBD. I just ordered a white and a light blue oxford spread collar from BB and really don't like it for a spread collared shirt.

Of course BB's selection is pretty limited, so it's not like I can get the end-on-end or herringbone I really want.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have to get a third shirt color, get light pink. But if I were you and just starting off, get another white. You'd be amazed at how nice white is. Try to get white oxford, which is the thick weave. It looks and feels heavy and looks so much better than pinpoint or broadcloth. It is also much less translucent. In fact, try to get the light blue and light pink in oxford cloth as well. The cloth looks like a basketweave pattern upon close examination.

Suspenders should only be worn on pants made for them (split-back and internal suspender buttons). If it has belt loops, wear belts.

As for blue, blue should be worn with brown exclusively. Or with gray suede if you're feeling adventurous.

I'd also like to add that White with thin lavender stripes looks really nice.

Here's my 85 yuan shirt and significantly more expensive watch :love: The shirt's stripe is too wide, try to find pencil stripes maybe, I think that would look better with a charcoal suit and a blue tie with silver pinpoint dots
seikoe.jpg

Watches suck. Nobody needs them anymore. :shifty:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah what's the consensus on watches?

I feel like they add a finishing touch to a well-dressed man but are they becoming less and less common?

Yeah what's the consensus on watches?

I feel like they add a finishing touch to a well-dressed man but are they becoming less and less common?

Let us ask captainnerd what he thinks of watches. It would only be the umpteenth time he's had to argue with someone about watches, the poor guy.

How do the gentlemen here do their ties?

I am disturbed by almost everything in this thread, though I understand that this sort of stuff is prerequisite to entering any cloistered profession.

I guess my one question is - must I get a suit tailored before I go interview?

I am disturbed by almost everything in this thread, though I understand that this sort of stuff is prerequisite to entering any cloistered profession.

no, you don't. but why would you buy a maserati and then put touring tires on it? go hi-pro: most places that sell suits will tailor them for free or a nominal fee (<$50). if a suit needs more work than that, it likely didn't fit you that well to begin with, and you should have bought something else. you're almost certainly going to have get the trouser legs and jacket arms done to the right length, anyway.

it really is worth the investment.

How do the gentlemen here do their ties?

Depends on the tie. Some of my ties make a really classy four-in-hand, some look better as a half-windsor. I never full-windsor ("double windsor") and occasionally I'll use a Pratt if I'm feeling silly.

Yes.

Beware: it's good to do your own research and insist on having your suit tailored the way YOU want it tailored. I made the grave mistake of not being completely adamant about the tailoring of one of my suits and they butchered it.

I'd also like to add that White with thin lavender stripes looks really nice.

Here's my 85 yuan shirt and significantly more expensive watch :love: The shirt's stripe is too wide, try to find pencil stripes maybe, I think that would look better with a charcoal suit and a blue tie with silver pinpoint dots
seikoe.jpg
I love the appearance of the black background watches.

Watches suck. Nobody needs them anymore. :shifty:
Watches are considered an "accessory" nowadays. Sort of like bracelets, rings, necklaces, etc. They are there for their appearance, sort of like those pocket square things, which rarely provide much use.

Watches are considered an "accessory" nowadays. Sort of like bracelets, rings, necklaces, etc. They are there for their appearance, sort of like those pocket square things, which rarely provide much use.

i dare you to wear a pocket square to an interview and then whip it out and blow your nose into it, mid-interview.

i dare you to wear a pocket square to an interview and then whip it out and blow your nose into it, mid-interview.
Funny story. I wore a PS to all of my interviews. In one situation, a student fell and cut open her arm and I used the PS to stop the bleeding, surely saving the student's life.

PS only the first part is true.

Members don't see this ad :)
Funny story. I wore a PS to all of my interviews. In one situation, a student fell and cut open her arm and I used the PS to stop the bleeding, surely saving the student's life.

PS only the first part is true.

Girls absolutely love pocket squares. It is so superfluous. And that's why they love it. Every time I've worn a pocket square, a girl will pull it out, examine it, then fold it and put it back in. At the end of the day, that is good use enough. Think of pocket squares and watches as a much classier tattoo. Or what a bracelet would be if a bracelet had class. Or a pinky ring if a pinky ring understood good wine or the importance of insurance in the development of Catholicism during the 1st century. Is any of this important? Probably not. And that's why you'll probably opt for the sleeves tattoo.

I wish someone would debate whether or not they should wear a tattoo to an interview? Or what color shirt to match with a tattoo of a celtic douche wrap around his neck?

I like how some people say a watch isn't necessary but $200 pair of Nike Jordans are. Especially when they are overweight and probably don't play basketball.

Is any of this necessary? Is going to med school really necessary? Just wear your stupid pajamas to the interview and focus on giving really really good answers about how you volunteered at the hospital. And make sure your pajamas have Bugs Bunny on it. You know...personality.

One of my professors who is probably mid 30s blows his nose into a handkerchief. Which isn't a pocket square.

Last edited:
Girls absolutely love pocket squares. It is so superfluous. And that's why they love it. Every time I've worn a pocket square, a girl will pull it out, examine it, then fold it and put it back in.

I like how some people say a watch isn't necessary but $200 pair of Nike Jordans are. Especially when they are overweight and probably don't play basketball.

Is any of this necessary? Is going to med school really necessary? Just wear your stupid pajamas to the interview and focus on giving really really good answers about how you volunteered at the hospital. And make sure your pajamas have Bugs Bunny on it. You know...personality.

One of my professors who is probably mid 30s blows his nose into a handkerchief. Which isn't a pocket square.
Handkerchiefs are gross IMO.

PS's... I've had similar experiences. Although people in my town are so unused to having people dress nicely, that there's a lot of looks of shock.

The bow tie is fun. Girls are always wondering about how to tie it. So I make them try tying it.

"do it like a shoe" "what if I only know bunny ears?" "learn to loop swoop and pull!"

People are quite disturbed by the way I dress. In a good way. They say things like "you dress like an assassin." Or "you dress like a Russian spy."

Or "you dress like an old man." This is probably the best complement given how stupid most young people look these days.

(200509144159)collateral_2.jpg

Last edited:
People are quite disturbed by the way I dress. In a good way. They say things like "you dress like an assassin." Or "you dress like a Russian spy."

Or "you dress like an old man." This is probably the best complement given how stupid most young people look these days.
Lol I got "who hired the hitman?" the other day :thumbup::thumbup:

Dark blue or darkish red tie.
A crisp white shirt.

Good luck :)

Something to bring out your ~eyes.

Really, any color will be fine.

the tie in the picture works real great. So a blue tie with a little silver in it, very thin silver lines. You can also try a gray, to me blue and gray will work nicely, but you want to look "dazzling" so go with a blue tie.
Avoid black because your suit is blue.

Blue tie would work well but if you're feeling like a G you could go with a red tie

if you wear a light blue shirt, then you should get a tie that has both dark and light blue in it. The two blues work with the dark suit and light shirt. If a white shirt, any tie with dark blue in it will work, including a dark/light stripe. The key is that you want at least one color that matches the suit, and one color that matches the shirt if the shirt is not white.

To follow the above post, if you go with red for example, make sure it has some dark blue, such as spots, stripes, symbols, etc. The majority of tie can be red, but you just want some blue in it to blend it with the surrounding background (suit).

Someone I know used to work for a fancy suit store. She has told me that a red tie conveys confidence (as long as it doesn't clash too much, the above posters had some good points on this). I think that blue/green/grey conservatively striped ties look good, and very professional. That color combination says "doctor" to me.

This one in particular is pretty snazzy, and it's on sale at Brooks Brothers!
here

Btw I like the light blue shirt, too. Everyone wears white :yawn:

I have a dark charcoal suit. I plan on wearing a black sweater vest with no design or stripes. Is this considered appropriate?

This is the exact suit that I have. But, the lighting in the picture makes it look a little light. It's actually a little darker than shown.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=200805&CategoryID=22612

My interview is this Friday. Thanks.

I have a dark charcoal suit. I plan on wearing a black sweater vest with no design or stripes. Is this considered appropriate?

This is the exact suit that I have. But, the lighting in the picture makes it look a little light. It's actually a little darker than shown.

The suit is fine but I would lose the sweater vest - it will make the suit seem less formal and give the impression that you are the reincarnation of Mr. Rogers.

I don't think it would be that bad. With a shirt and tie it would basically look like a high 3 piece. I think it can still be professional.

I tend to like going slightly zany in my neckties (not TOO zany of course) so I usually go for patterns outside of stripes. For an interview I would try to find a subtle or uncommon pattern that still looks good.

If you can find a nice shirt that isn't white, that would probably be good. For my interviews, I suspect I'm going to be wearing my favourite blue silk shirt, but that isn't fully decided yet since I have a few months left before I apply much less *really* worry about interviews.

if you wear a light blue shirt, then you should get a tie that has both dark and light blue in it. The two blues work with the dark suit and light shirt. If a white shirt, any tie with dark blue in it will work, including a dark/light stripe. The key is that you want at least one color that matches the suit, and one color that matches the shirt if the shirt is not white.

To follow the above post, if you go with red for example, make sure it has some dark blue, such as spots, stripes, symbols, etc. The majority of tie can be red, but you just want some blue in it to blend it with the surrounding background (suit).

Blue on blue on blue is too much of the same hue. A blue (regardless of color) tie with some white in it and a white shirt are the classic elements of a navy suiting. A black tie will work with navy suits, but it's a little more complicated to pull off. Consider a color like kelly green or maroon if you don't want a blue tie. Generally the secondary minor color of a tie should match the shirt and/or the pocket square, but rarely the suit.

Someone I know used to work for a fancy suit store. She has told me that a red tie conveys confidence (as long as it doesn't clash too much, the above posters had some good points on this). I think that blue/green/grey conservatively striped ties look good, and very professional. That color combination says "doctor" to me.

This one in particular is pretty snazzy, and it's on sale at Brooks Brothers!
here

Btw I like the light blue shirt, too. Everyone wears white :yawn:

Red tie is the classic "power tie." It can give bad associations at MEDICAL school interviews, but I personally have no problem with it.

I strongly considered wearing a sweater under my suit jacket for my colder interview locations. I think it looks plenty professional and if you pull it off well, you'll probably earn extra points. Keep in mind that you will be inside the majority of the time you're at your interview, so you may end up really hot.

I tend to like going slightly zany in my neckties (not TOO zany of course) so I usually go for patterns outside of stripes. For an interview I would try to find a subtle or uncommon pattern that still looks good.

If you can find a nice shirt that isn't white, that would probably be good. For my interviews, I suspect I'm going to be wearing my favourite blue silk shirt, but that isn't fully decided yet since I have a few months left before I apply much less *really* worry about interviews.

I wore a tie similar to (but less extroverted/better looking) the following two ties.
http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...t_id=1408474399545537&bmUID=iSnNpZn&ev19=3:29
http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main...t_id=1408474399545537&bmUID=iSnNszX&ev19=4:14
If you want a less-common pattern but to still be professional, my advice would be a gingham or plaid tie but in a very fine pattern, instead of one of the really popular plaid ties that only has two "intersection points"--those are faddy and will go out and are somewhat unprofessional.

Girls absolutely love pocket squares. It is so superfluous. And that's why they love it. Every time I've worn a pocket square, a girl will pull it out, examine it, then fold it and put it back in. At the end of the day, that is good use enough. Think of pocket squares and watches as a much classier tattoo. Or what a bracelet would be if a bracelet had class. Or a pinky ring if a pinky ring understood good wine or the importance of insurance in the development of Catholicism during the 1st century. Is any of this important? Probably not. And that's why you'll probably opt for the sleeves tattoo.

I wish someone would debate whether or not they should wear a tattoo to an interview? Or what color shirt to match with a tattoo of a celtic douche wrap around his neck?

YOU-MAD.jpg

Stay away from the silk. Unless you're applying for head pimp at a more shady med school. I see a lot of young people wearing non-iron shirts that have the texture and sheen of silk and it is rather cringe-worthy.

men-s-blue-thai-silk-long-sleeve-dress-shirt-small-s-b12f5.jpg

medium gray solid in cashmere or wool (blends with everything from white shirts, to blue shirts, to pink shirts, light purples, gingham shirts, herringbone shirts, houndstooth shirts, tattersall shirts, etc). Gray is the neutral base color to just about every shirt pattern. When I'm in a hurry, I go with this tie. The photo in the first post is probably a good example of gray in a wool/cashmere fabric. The wool can be herringbone if you want.
Why the cashmere/wool for the tie instead of silk? Are there certain colors/patterns that look better with certain types of fabric?

On a kinda related topic to clothes but not really important for interviews - anyone have a particular wallet model they really like? I'm looking for a new one, specifically a leather bifold with the card slots facing inward, and the few stores I've browsed haven't really had the best selections. Banana Republic had one that fit was I looking for, but I wasn't a big fan of the material. Any online stores I should check out?

he's recommending wool or silk for texture. one way to stick out is to have typical colors but unique textures. something that's really not important unless you're really into what you're wearing.

I have a Coach card holder that I like. could look at outlets

Why the cashmere/wool for the tie instead of silk? Are there certain colors/patterns that look better with certain types of fabric?

On a kinda related topic to clothes but not really important for interviews - anyone have a particular wallet model they really like? I'm looking for a new one, specifically a leather bifold with the card slots facing inward, and the few stores I've browsed haven't really had the best selections. Banana Republic had one that fit was I looking for, but I wasn't a big fan of the material. Any online stores I should check out?

Silk is better for vibrancy. Wool and cashmere are better for grays and neutrals. Just my opinion.

Silk doesn't produce macroscopic weaves very well. If you want a herringbone or a glen plaid weave, it is best to stick with wool. Currently, my favorite tie is a blue silk tie with silver flowers and vines similar to this one:
ctshirts

It would be very difficult to do this with wool.

Great texture contrast. Nobody's tie sticks like that unless you pin it tho =P

If you stick the tie out while you tighten, it does stay like that. I personally don't like that look though.

Gentlemen, where do you get your socks? It's not too hard to find OTC solid socks, but slightly wacky socks are a hard find. I've found a few at Sak's here in town, which closed recently. We don't have a Nordstrom's for Pantherella, plus Panther is really expensive.

Tl;dr: quality OTC colorful/patterend dress socks are found where?

Gosh that suit is a little too tight... It looks like the button is going to pop off like a bullet if you move even an inch.

TOO TIGHT? WHAT? That is a beautifully tailored suit. That shirt was wonderful too with nice collars with a wool tie. Fantastic picture taken by a man of great taste. I applaud the poster of said picture.

Gentlemen, where do you get your socks? It's not too hard to find OTC solid socks, but slightly wacky socks are a hard find. I've found a few at Sak's here in town, which closed recently. We don't have a Nordstrom's for Pantherella, plus Panther is really expensive.

I've had some good luck for nice patterned socks at J-Crew, although the rest of the store makes me want to set myself on fire.

you can try www.viccel.com

the socks aren't patterned or anything but a lot of styleforum members really like them. My wife got me a couple pair for Christmas but I didn't like the colors so I haven't tried them

I picked up some wool/silk Robert Talbott socks for cheap off styleforum's B&S for a good price. my favorite socks by far

Just came back from giving a tour and there was a guy there with a red shirt and black tie. Had to fight the urge to ask him if he valet parked cars for a living.

Just came back from giving a tour and there was a guy there with a red shirt and black tie. Had to fight the urge to ask him if he valet parked cars for a living.
Saw several such combinations at my last interview. =\ Wondered why people would put so little work into their interview attire since they spent so much time and money trying to get into md school in the first place...

The old thread can be found here.

Starting a new thread for the new season. I made my own mistakes in dressing for my interviews (they didn't cost me any acceptances though), still I wish I had seen the old thread sooner.

For a general guide as to what to wear captainnerd says it all:

General guidelines are:

Suits: Navy, Grey are most popular. Black is what many people wear but something you should stay away from.

Shirts: conservative is better. Plain white, light blue, pink, light purple.

Ties: Small pattern and solid.

Shoes: Brown or Black, not squared. Clean.

This is just my general feelings, I am by no means an expert, but I hated the idea of starting a thread without saying something.

If you are looking for advice, post pictures, and someone or many someones will comment.

Alright, I will admit it. I did not go through all 16 pages, so I apologize if this was already answered...

What's wrong with a black suit?

Also, is a suit < absolutely > necessary? Cannot just deal with a decent button-down shirt and pants?

Finding a suit for myself is not fun. I am 5.7' and 100 pounds. Yes, I am very very light. I cannot under any circumstances gain weight. I worked at McD for 6 months while in high school. I lived off of the food served there, sometimes even having it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner :barf:... Nevertheless, I did not gain any weight.

In short,
51t82fs9y8l.jpg

He has nothing on me.

Anyway, no department store has a suit that fits me well. If I take it to the tailor, everything would have to be changed.

Men's warehouse is quoting me $1,500 for a custom tailored suit. Getting multiple suits would get really pricey...

What can I say, I am a freak of nature :(

From,
Abi

Alright, I will admit it. I did not go through all 16 pages, so I apologize if this was already answered...

What's wrong with a black suit?

Also, is a suit < absolutely > necessary? Cannot just deal with a decent button-down shirt and pants?

Finding a suit for myself is not fun. I am 5.7' and 100 pounds. Yes, I am very very light. I cannot under any circumstances gain weight. I worked at McD for 6 months while in high school. I lived off of the food served there, sometimes even having it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner :barf:... Nevertheless, I did not gain any weight.

In short,

He has nothing on me.

Anyway, no department store has a suit that fits me well. If I take it to the tailor, everything would have to be changed.

Men's warehouse is quoting me $1,500 for a custom tailored suit. Getting multiple suits would get really pricey...

What can I say, I am a freak of nature :(

From,
Abi

Until you get one of our resident fashion gurus to chime in I'll fill you in on what I've learned from them so far this interview season.

Nothing is "wrong" with a black suit. In fact, if you are attending a funeral or a formal event...black is the way to go! The reason many frown upon wearing a black suit to an interview is that it is considered too formal. That being said...you'll no doubt see a few black suits at your interviews. I think about 99% of the females at my interviews were wearing black, it was very somber (though at my last interview there was a girl wearing a navy pin...I was a big fan, looked sharp).

Not exactly sure why you starting talking about how much McDonald's you've eaten. I suppose it's to point out your belief that you have a rather unique body shape.

Well, regardless of how normal/abnormal your body...you MUST get your suits tailored. It's a must. Period. If you can buy a suit off the rack and it fits you perfectly...that's the exception, definitely not the rule (and even then I would bet that a professional tailor could improve its fit). You do not need to spend $1500 on a suit (though I would prefer 1 really good suit to 2 or 3 crappy ones).

Check out Jos A. Bank...they're having sales like they're going out of business. Their "traveler's" series of suits are tapered for people who have thinner waists. Get a suit that fits and then get it tailored. Hope this holds you over until a professional can chime in :)

In fact, if you are attending a funeral or a formal event...black is the way to go! The reason many frown upon wearing a black suit to an interview is that it is considered too formal.

^ You are right, formality is the issue.

A textured black suit can be dressed down for an interview with the right shirt/tie combination. It requires careful consideration of color and texture contrasts, which I am not going to explain as it is better for most young guys on this site NOT to try to look like they are fashion gurus.

If you read through some more of this thread, you'll realize that even if you end up looking like a total jackass it probably won't affect your chances too much.

However, it is one thing to look totally clueless premed; it is considerably worse to look like you tried to pull off an "advanced" fashion stunt and failed. Leave that to the pros.

For suits, Jos A Bank is a good recommendation. For dudes with weird metrics, get a suit separate. I personally would not have it tailored in store. I have a tailor who runs a dry-cleaner. She does superb alterations for half the cost of getting it done in a department store.

Your whole suit + alterations does not need to cost you more than $250.

Status
Not open for further replies.