Men's Interview Clothing #2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brooks brothers non-iron slim-fit. These are about the only dress shirts I buy at this point. Also they just happen to be on a one-day sale today.

The non-iron shirts have a chemical layer that does not last repeated washings and they will soon be yes-iron shirts. Also, the chemical penetrates the fibers and when it washes off, it will unravel the fibers faster.

Ironing isn't so bad.

Members don't see this ad.

The non-iron shirts have a chemical layer that does not last repeated washings and they will soon be yes-iron shirts. Also, the chemical penetrates the fibers and when it washes off, it will unravel the fibers faster.

Ironing isn't so bad.

It is when you're about to be a surgery intern...I'm all about the low-maintenance.

Any brands of shoes to recommend? I should mention I have a black suit!- should I buy another one or make it work?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is when you're about to be a surgery intern...I'm all about the low-maintenance.

I'm a huge fan of my steamer. Much faster and exhaustion proof than an iron and I can still be lazy and leave things in the dryer for way tooooo long.

Non iron shirts unironed isn't so bad either. I like the lived-in look for most days and the well-ironed look for big events.

The shine of non-ironed shirts is also bad aesthetically, imo.

The Japanese are some of the best dressed.
P1060555.jpg

The shoe is a Hidetaka Fukaya in a blue suede, most likely bespoked. Do not wear this to an interview. Unless you plan on being a doctor by day and an international crime lord/weapons dealer by night.

To the guy with the black suit, make it work. Brown still works with black. If you need a beater pair of shoes, get a nice brown captoe by the Macy store brand, Tasso Elba. They're not great and will get the leather wrinkles where the toe bends when you walk within hours and the wrinkles will never go away, even if you use a shoe tree. But hey, for $100, you get what you pay for. Made in China. Probably softened with goat or pigeon feces or both (not a joke) and tanned with harsh chemicals or simply dyed with a stain and then sprayed with a topcoat. The blue suede above is probably in the $1,500 to $1,700 range and is custom made to your foot using about 9-15 measurement parameters. Look at how microscopic those stitches are! They're like little individual pieces of powdered sugar.
308351_fpx.tif

Last edited:
I'll probably end up wearing a conservative suit/shirt, and a power tie to interviews.

During High school and in college, I always rocked power ties. Red/Scarlet silk ties look very good with charcoal suits and a white under shirt.

I'll probably end up wearing a conservative suit/shirt, and a power tie to interviews.

During High school and in college, I always rocked power ties. Red/Scarlet silk ties look very good with charcoal suits and a white under shirt.

No on the power tie. Either make it subdued or colorful in a non-power-tie sort of way. If you really want to add some other color, go for funky socks. The power tie isn't the right thing for an interview.

whats the deal with the thickness of the ties?

there are a lot of different thicknesses...pencil thin to extremely thick

not being >6', i don't like anything too thick, but i know pencil ties are going too far

No on the power tie. Either make it subdued or colorful in a non-power-tie sort of way. If you really want to add some other color, go for funky socks. The power tie isn't the right thing for an interview.

Eh, I've always loved the power tie look. I'll probably err on the side of caution though.

I wore a BRIGHT scarlet silk tie to my first interview and got hired on the spot at 20% higher pay than the other salesmen started at.

feltgoodman

EDIT: I'll probably wear something toned a bit down like this though:
392056-xs.jpg

this is my 'go to' silk blue-tie, is it acceptable or a 'power tie'?

PSS2501rbl-RBlue.jpg

PSS2501rbl-RBlue.jpg

I personally think that's a bit boring, but it could work. The "power tie" specifically refers to the bold red ties that worn by e.g., the president when he gives the state of the union.

On my interviews, I can't tell you how many times I saw people wear the same boring, black, nontailored suits. What...are you guys going to a funeral or something?

I wore charcoal w/ pinstripes to 2 of them and a light brown suit to another. At all three I got complemented on how I was dressed. Seriously...if you go in with a black suit, white shirt, boring tie...you're going to blend in in a bad way.

Looking back, I wish I had worn a nice tweed suit, something like:

BOYDE-3-PIECE-SUIT-2.jpg

Now THAT is stylin'!

Also, LEATHER watchband. The steel watchband is the most overplayed piece of junk in a man's wardrobe. The point of your watch is to be understated and comfortable, not some giant piece of hardware you lug around trying to show off.

Black dress shirts? Are we serious, here? Are you going to the Middle School semi-formal or something? Why don't you just wear short sleeves with a side-pocket, while you're at it? You're a grown-up now...ditch the black.

And to the OP, very solid taste in socks. White socks are for the gym. Black socks are for squares. :thumbup:

PSS2501rbl-RBlue.jpg
It works. You don't need anything that stands out really. Subtle patterns are nice. Even if it is just in the weave. Like Austinap said, stand out in socks not ties. Then again I think if everything is solid standout socks might look a bit off.

I like Tie Bar ties because I like to be thrifty. They are cheap so I wouldn't expect to hang on to it for 5 years or anything, but depending on how often you dress up they make it through the season or maybe two.

Members don't see this ad :)
11pulse.slide1.jpg
how about special edition, authentic crocodile leather airforce ones to accompany an otherwise normal suit. These are $2000 and I think quite formal if you can pull them off right.

yyy.jpg

11pulse.slide1.jpg

Last edited:
SO is there no difference to a silk blue tie vs. a patterned one in terms of which is more appropriate?

Last edited:
Any brands of shoes to recommend? I should mention I have a black suit!- should I buy another one or make it work?

Just go with a standard oxford-style black shoe. Very few dudes can pull off brown shoes with a black suit.

I like the look of these(price is a bit low though and you get what you pay for):
http://www.endless.com/dp/B0027IQEH...e=380333&linkCode=asn&creativeASIN=B0027IQEHQ

Wear some socks with variety, though. Don't look like you're going to a funeral.

On my interviews, I can't tell you how many times I saw people wear the same boring, black, nontailored suits. What...are you guys going to a funeral or something?

I wore charcoal w/ pinstripes to 2 of them and a light brown suit to another. At all three I got complemented on how I was dressed. Seriously...if you go in with a black suit, white shirt, boring tie...you're going to blend in in a bad way.

Looking back, I wish I had worn a nice tweed suit, something like:

BOYDE-3-PIECE-SUIT-2.jpg

Now THAT is stylin'!

Also, LEATHER watchband. The steel watchband is the most overplayed piece of junk in a man's wardrobe. The point of your watch is to be understated and comfortable, not some giant piece of hardware you lug around trying to show off.

Black dress shirts? Are we serious, here? Are you going to the Middle School semi-formal or something? Why don't you just wear short sleeves with a side-pocket, while you're at it? You're a grown-up now...ditch the black.

And to the OP, very solid taste in socks. White socks are for the gym. Black socks are for squares. :thumbup:

Exactly what I was thinking.:D
http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page...onal_Ties.asp&pg=1&i=88&xlOnly=&boysTiesOnly=
http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page...onal_Ties.asp&pg=1&i=88&xlOnly=&boysTiesOnly=
http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page...onal_Ties.asp&pg=1&i=93&xlOnly=&boysTiesOnly=

11pulse.slide1.jpg
how about special edition, authentic crocodile leather airforce ones to accompany an otherwise normal suit. These are $2000 and I think quite formal if you can pull them off right.

yyy.jpg

11pulse.slide1.jpg

I like how this guy thinks he's funny. Awww, so adorable.

Those shoes are as dumb as the price. A testament to the stupidity of fashion. Crocodile should be left to women's purses.

Last edited:
Ehhh I'm not a huge fan of solid color ties. In fact, here's what I'd do if I were going to an interview tomorrow:

BOYDE-3-PIECE-SUIT-2.jpg

+

506456JNY_S10_DF.jpg

+

SB1217_md_TNT.jpg

spacer.gif

+

711-2518Sb.jpg

+

Shoes_iAEC1049494.jpg

+

41gkgZnUQkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I would not wear that suit to an interview. It says "NBA basketball player." Everything else is acceptable. However, in the end, it comes down to fit. Tie that tie too long or too baggy shirt and it all ends up looking awful. The suit fabric is nice but the fit appears to be too baggy and NBA-ish. This is what they refer to when they say "American sack suit." Looks like a potato sack with hole for head and arms.

Also, that suit does not appear to be tweed. Appears to be worsted wool. Three buttons are awful. If you can afford that suit, you can afford better shoes. Socks are also awful and all that brown is gonna make you look like a piece of turd.

For those of you who do not like brown and black shoes, I recommend the Grenson William:
3079rushden.jpg

Formal enough for a suit and still will look good with jeans or khakis.

Grey suede is a favorite of Lamborghini CEO:
482f557617e80_normal.jpg

Last edited:
I am scared to wear socks like that. Everyone here seems to approve of the "goofy socks add color" strategy- what is the basis for this? I just feel that is the equivalent of wearing a tie covered in yellow smiley faces.

To me fashion is "the stuff those people wear on runways and there is no way you'd be caught dead in".

Trend is what is popular but still more conservative, like certain colors trend in (lavender for example) or skinny ties.

conservative dress is what you are going for here. Boring? yes. Safe? Yes.

Oh and for the thrifty minded: Don't spend a lot of money on ties. Probably the most over-payed-for objects around. Look for good deals. Tiebar.com is a great site for good ties that look nice and don't cost a bazillion dollars. Use the money you save to get your suit tailored. Ill fitting looks terrible.
I'd agree with this to a point... Although style (not fashion) can be rather non-conservative. Weird concept.

Anyway, I like this thread. Looking forward to interview season and all the discussion that comes with it. haha.

I am scared to wear socks like that. Everyone here seems to approve of the "goofy socks add color" strategy- what is the basis for this? I just feel that is the equivalent of wearing a tie covered in yellow smiley faces.

Socks can add personality. If your entire getup is subdued and conservative, why not mess around in the sock dept? I wouldn't wear rainbow stripes or smiley faced socks. But the tartan socks here can be very nice. It also says you don't shop at the same place millions of others shop.

1-32.jpg

The funny thing about socks is that they are a sign of luxury when they have intricate patterns on them. A shirt is made from a huge bolt of fabric maybe several hundred yards long (if mass produced). If there's a hole in the fabric, they can just use another portion of the bolt. A sock is an individual item loomed in the form of a foot. It actually requires a human being be present at all steps of the process. Examine a well made sock and you'll see that the fibers are not cut from a bolt but individually loomed. Quite a process. The more complex the patterns, the more complex the process.

6_large.jpg

The heel and toe are the parts where a very skilled human being is required. See the little red threads at the toe? That is a sign that the toe was finished by hand.

The pattern on suits and shirts are actually a sign of quality. When a tailor or shirtmaker takes the time to match the patterns so that they line up, it shows to the customer that the fabric was cut by hand and not by layering hundreds of layers and then mass producing it with a laser or a band saw. Yes, band saws are used in the production of most of the world's clothes.

Last edited:
because some people will insist on doing something to stand out and socks are the best place to do it. I wore pretty normal socks once and more 'fashionable' ones once. but they were still pretty conservative.

I'm clueless when it comes to fashion. I will likely be consulting this thread many times come interview season.

I like how this guy thinks he's funny. Awww, so adorable.

Those shoes are as dumb as the price. A testament to the stupidity of fashion. Crocodile should be left to women's purses.

strongly disagree and not trying to be 'funny' or 'cute'. While I will reluctantly concede that it is debatable at best whether or not to wear this at a med school interview, they are still sweet shoes. Most comfortable ones I've ever worn.

The high price tag has nothing to do with "fashion" but merely stems from the incredibly high quality of the product. In addition to being hand-made in Italy with genuine exotic crocodile skin, they are also plated with an 18K gold lace debay. The price isn't that ridiculous when you compare to other special edition air force ones. I think your comment shows an ignorance of the air force one culture.

In the end, my decision, and anyone else in a similar boat, will have to be based on a gametime judgment of whether I can pull of this look at an interview. If you don't have the intrinsic confidence, you'll just come across as a trendy d-bag trying to act hood. If you can pull it off :xf:, game on. :cool:

strongly disagree and not trying to be 'funny' or 'cute'. While I will reluctantly concede that it is debatable at best whether or not to wear this at a med school interview, they are still sweet shoes. Most comfortable ones I've ever worn.

The high price tag has nothing to do with "fashion" but merely stems from the incredibly high quality of the product. In addition to being hand-made in Italy with genuine exotic crocodile skin, they are also plated with an 18K gold lace debay. The price isn't that ridiculous when you compare to other special edition air force ones. I think your comment shows an ignorance of the air force one culture.

In the end, my decision, and anyone else in a similar boat, will have to be based on a gametime judgment of whether I can pull of this look at an interview. If you don't have the intrinsic confidence, you'll just come across as a trendy d-bag trying to act hood. If you can pull it off :xf:, game on. :cool:

The Italians are masters of marketing. "Made in Italy" shoes are not what they are cracked up to be. Many Kenneth Coles are made in Italy. The nice thing about Italy is that it is very close to the source of lots of low quality leather tanneries in northern Africa like Tunisia, Libya, Egypt.

High quality goods can be made in China (iPhones, iPads) just like low quality goods can be made in Italy (Nike Air Force One:Extra Stupid Edition). Surely there's an idiot in France making the most foul of wines.

Although I detest crocodile skin as being gawdy, I guess even within the crocodile domain, there are signs of good quality and signs of crappy quality. The first is how large a piece of crocodile is it? It appears the Air Force Ones are made by sewing several small parts of leather together. Maybe this is the result of having to work with the leftover scraps that are discarded from other manufacturers. Also, how natural is the color? The dark brown/almost black is the result of heavy dying, probably to conceal the fact that each piece came from a different animal. Dying each piece of scrap to a uniform color hides this fact, pardon the pun.

In the end, Nike thrives on marketing. They sell a few of these limited editions to rappers in the hopes that their fans will purchase the mass produced versions.

I bolded your statement about the price. The most expensive bespoke shoes made from the best materials do not come close to $2000, even when they are completely handmade down to the tree sap and the hemp stitching. And that's including the bespoke nature of fittings. The best Japanese shoemakers who make a shoe based on measurements, then cut the shoe open while you wear them to remeasure don't even charge $2000 for what is in essence the creation of TWO SHOES! To site Nike as a quality shoe maker is like comparing a Sony to a Krell or a Ford to a Bentley.

I bolded "Air Force One culture" because I thought it was funny. Yes, I am ignorant of the air force one "culture." I sure hope every doctor I ever encounter is likewise.

Wait, there's more? These Air Force Ones aren't ridiculously priced when compared to other editions? You're telling me that the other editions are ridiculously priced? "Ma'am, this hip replacement model isn't all that ridiculous when you compare it to the other superfluous models we sell. Oh boy do we try to fleece *****s with those!"

In the end, I think you should definitely wear it because it will probably match the personality of the suit. *QED*
p-diddy-in_gray_suit.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that the materials do not cost $2000. It is the 18K gold-plated shoelaces that drive up the cost close to that. Obvi it is a little less as the company has to earn a profit. And just because a person wears Italian woven, authentic crocodile leather limited special edition air-force ones with custom gold-plated shoelaces, they are not qualified to be a doctor?

You also say that you would not want to see any doctor who has knowledge about the "air-force one" culture? As you said in another thread, outside of optometry your interests lie in "esoteric" things like male fashion. Can't a perfectly competent doctor be interested in hip-hop and what's behind the air-force one, one of the biggest phenomena of urban shoe culture in the past 3 decades? Sounds pretty close-minded to me...

I agree that the materials do not cost $2000. It is the 18K gold-plated shoelaces that drive up the cost close to that. Obvi it is a little less as the company has to earn a profit. And just because a person wears Italian woven, authentic crocodile leather limited special edition air-force ones with custom gold-plated shoelaces, they are not qualified to be a doctor?

You also say that you would not want to see any doctor who has knowledge about the "air-force one" culture? As you said in another thread, outside of optometry your interests lie in "esoteric" things like male fashion. Can't a perfectly competent doctor be interested in hip-hop and what's behind the air-force one, one of the biggest phenomena of urban shoe culture in the past 3 decades? Sounds pretty close-minded to me...

This is a matter of philosophy that deals with the calculus of pleasures. Having a knowledge of the history of architecture is surely more valuable than having a knowledge of Pokemon. Surely, having a knowledge of the history of hand-crafted shoes—whose most current methods (the Goodyear welt) go back about 200 years and had to deal with an era before cement and carpeting— is surely more valuable than the history of a marketing ploy of a company who hires Indonesian children to make their shoes and market to rap stars.

Why do you guys keep using the phrase "fashion?" Fashion deals with Air Force Ones. Fashion deals with the fleeting, the in-the-moment, the here and now. The etiquette of dress is called style just like the rules of grammar is a style. The proper rules of dress evolve slowly. The suit has been around for 200 years and in the past 100 years, only the dart and the vent have been added. The oxford and the blucher has been around for about 200 years (almost unchanged) and will continue to be around for the next 200 years. Gothic architecture will be around for the next 1000. The Air Force Ones will probably die with the advancement of education. Good riddance.

Yes, when it comes to Air Force Ones, I am close-minded. The less I know, the better off I am.

The Air Force Ones are what most economists would call a Veblen Good. Maybe not an exact Veblen Good but a Veblen Good whose price influences not the leisure class's demand for the product but how the lower class view a replica of the same product. For example, the Chrysler 300 is (I giggle at this thought) often called "the Baby Bentley" because it's design was to emulate the Bentley. Compared to other iterations of the 300, this current one seems to have struck a chord with the lower classes because of its comparison to Bentleys. The $2K Air Force Ones have nothing to do with gold. The amount of gold in the Air Force Ones is trivial and probably amounts to a a few dollars. As a Veblen Good, the price of the AFO is arbitrary. They are marketed to rap stars in the hopes that the lower class who look up to rap stars will buy the standard editions. Lowering the price of the Gold AFOs would, contrary to Price-Demand schedule, actually lower the demand of the AFOs. This is the definition of the Veblen Good, a rare paradox in the economic world. Imagine if lowering the price of pizzas meant that people stopped buying pizzas.

Your vocabulary word of the day is: Veblen Good. Google it.

FlyingButtresses.jpg

is better than

circle-01.jpg

is better than

air-force-ones-closing-ceremony.jpg

Btw, I ended my last post with QED and yet you still argue? Let this be the last on the topic.

QED

Last edited:
I'm clueless when it comes to fashion. I will likely be consulting this thread many times come interview season.

Like mentioned earlier, charcoal suit(tailored is a great addition, whomever mentioned it), clean and crisp white dress shirt, and a nice power tie.

It'll make you stand out a bit more over the black and white people interviewing. If you think it's too flashy, tone it down with some pattern or subtle striping, as others have mentioned.

:)

maybe this has been posted before... but, do you all think that brown shoes with a navy suit is not conservative enough? or should i just stick with black? i was going to pick up the dark brown park avenues..

maybe this has been posted before... but, do you all think that brown shoes with a navy suit is not conservative enough? or should i just stick with black? i was going to pick up the dark brown park avenues..

Navy suits are supposed to be worn with very dark brown shoes. Unless you find those aforementioned gray suede shoes of which I am very jealous, go with the dark brown ones for sure

I know noting about fashion and w/o this thread would have worn just my regular non-conservative suit. How much does this stuff really matter? Are the people who don't dress conservatively like this really at a disadvantage (conscious/subconscious)? Does dressing "bold" make you look unprofessional/arrogant or something?

I know noting about fashion and w/o this thread would have worn just my regular non-conservative suit. How much does this stuff really matter? Are the people who don't dress conservatively like this really at a disadvantage (conscious/subconscious)? Does dressing "bold" make you look unprofessional/arrogant or something?

The sad thing is, the vast majority of people on the interview trail have no idea how to dress. Unless you wear something god-awful (e.g., those Air Force One shoes a few posts up), you'll kind of blend in. You probably won't stand out as being dressed particularly poorly.

That being said, that isn't the kind of first impression I'd recommend. Even people that have little eye or care for fashion notice when a guy shows up in a suit that doesn't fit at all, whether it's conscious or not. If you wear a suit that fits, colors that match, shirts without terrible patterns, and polished shoes, you'll be ahead of 90% of the crowd. By far, fit is the #1 issue I saw with men's clothing on the trail in the past year. Invest the money and spend a little time with a tailor to get it right.

Just look good. This stuff doesn't matter too much.

Don't try to make a statement with something weird (your outfit shouldn't outshine your personality).

This stuff really matters only when you look awful.

I think many guys show up at medical school interviews in cheap-looking and ill-fitting suits because they don't have the money to get suits tailored or buy suits from luxury retailers which tend to have better fit. I'd love to have a suit custom made, especially given my smaller body type. However with application costs and interview expenses expected to be at least $2000, I don't see how I can afford the recommendations here. And what with the wind of fashion shifting direction constantly? Ok so it's not news but common', 3 button suits were all the rage even as recently as last year and I feel like they're so yesterday now. All of my few suits are 3 buttons and I'd be so embarrassed wearing them this year.

I think many guys show up at medical school interviews in cheap-looking and ill-fitting suits because they don't have the money to get suits tailored or buy suits from luxury retailers which tend to have better fit. I'd love to have a suit custom made, especially given my smaller body type. However with application costs and interview expenses expected to be at least $2000, I don't see how I can afford the recommendations here. And what with the wind of fashion shifting direction constantly? Ok so it's not news but common', 3 button suits were all the rage even as recently as last year and I feel like they're so yesterday now. All of my few suits are 3 buttons and I'd be so embarrassed wearing them this year.

None of the advice here (with the exception of the air force ones and some of captainnerd's comments) requires a huge investment.

Here is my basic (budget friendly) advice:

Where:
Jos Banks. Wait for a good sale (they have weekly rotating deals - a good deal is in the 60-70% off range).
What:
I think their signature gold suit line is the way to go (comes down to ~$300 on a good sale). It is a big step up in quality from their other suits. Alternatively you could try the "Joseph" suit (slimmer cut). If you are really deal-hunting they will often have their executive suit line for $199.
How:
The best thing you can do for making sure your suit fits is to start with the jacket - to minimize tailoring expenses and complexity, find a jacket that fits your shoulders and chest off the rack. Then you only have to worry about getting the sleeve length finished. Pant alterations are easy.
Cost:
The total cost for alterations if you follow this approach (sleeves, pant waist, pant finish/cuff) should be <$50

I think there are plenty of good options for dress shirts (as mentioned I like Brooks Brothers slim fit).

Shoes, there are lots of "decent" shoes around $100, but no "great" ones. The biggest things are to avoid boxy square-toes and rubber soles, and make sure to keep your shoes clean and polished.

Ties, way too many to even know what to choose. I (again) like brooks brothers but if not on sale $75 is hard to stomach for a tie. Their slim ties are perfect width for me and their stripes are classic.

So bottom line - wait on sales, stick to the "classics" that won't go out of style. I think places like mens warehouse have terrible quality but they sucker people in with their deal prices. Jos Banks is a big quality step up from those types of places but still affordable. Avoid Macy's like the plague.

Two buttons have been around forever. They will be around forever. The more the buttons, the more dangerous it is.

The three button suit is still acceptable. The SUIT is such a classic that a minor detail like # of buttons won't make a huge difference (as long as it is within the 1-3 range). Being such a classic, I would focus more on the fit of the suit since that is the most important detail. I would rather wear a 3 button suit that fits properly than a 2 button suit that doesn't.

Buying fashion is a horrible investment for the sole purpose you stated. Buy the classics. Two button charcoal wool worsted ($500 max with tailoring fee), white shirt, light blue shirt, throw in some stripe shirts (the fewer the stripes, the more classic&#8212;white being the base color) ($50 per shirt, find MTM online that will fit very well), brown leather captoe made in China ($100, $50 on sale).

The minimum chest size for suits Off The Rack (OTR) start at 36 inches. If you don't have a 36 inch chest minimum, you might have to go to Made to Measure (MTM). Do some hunting and you can find some MTM suits for $600.

The grey suede wingtips at pediwear (right click it and it will go to the actual image) is $220 shipped to the US (the British pound is very weak right now, it's a steal). For two Macy's brand shoes made in China, you can have one very well made English shoe. The investment is very sound. You get "free" shoe trees (value $20), shoe polish (value $5), suede brush (value $5), and a free silk tie of your choosing (value $10). (I know because I bought a pair.)

The purpose of showing high end items is that that is the look you're going for. The interesting thing with the clothing industry is that there are no intellectual property laws pertaining to design&#8212;only trademarks are protected. Nobody owns the rights to a wingtip brogue design or a leather captoe design. You can find a cheap American company making a captoe. There are hundreds of captoes out there. You can probably make some fake Air Force Ones and omit the Nike Swoosh and you'll be okay.

To be honest with you guys, I can almost guarantee that I have fewer clothes than about 85% of you. The value is higher (maybe&#8212;I imagine there are some of you who probably go for the expensive denim and Air Force One and BAPE and Hyphe trend), but in terms of volume, I am a minimalist. About 5 years ago, I donated all my clothes to the Goodwill and started over with just the classics. No more graphic tees. No more baggy jeans or cargo pants. No more buying Gap sweaters with a single stripe across the chest (remember those god-awful things). No more artificial fiber fleece sweaters.

This is probably the best advice I can give: go minimal and stick with the classics. Fashion is not minimal. Watch old 60s movies or Mad Men. Take note of the designs and style that are still present today. Buy those items. Within an item, also go minimal. Fewer stripes, fewer colors, fewer zippers, buttons, etc. Once you go minimal, you'll find that FIT is the most important detail. Once you're comfortable with the fit of your clothes, branch out and add more details like patterns and explore the classic designs like gingham, glen plaids, prince of wales plaid, herringbone, houndstooth, etc.

In the end, you'll end up looking like an adult. In no time, you'll be yelling at the kids to get off your lawn and to turn down that racket.

Btw, Jos A Banks stock price does very well. Click the 5 year profile and the 10 year profile.
http://quote.morningstar.com/Stock/s.aspx?t=JOSB

Last edited:
After reading this I am sure premeds need to read GQ on a regular basis and for you southern guys (like me) www.southernproper.com is the way to go. I'm rocking the bow tie!

It doesn't have to be an overly expensive suit. Heck, you can go to Men's Wearhouse and get a suit for $250 and as long as you get it altered to fit correctly, you'll look better than most other interviewees. Guys just tend to wear baggy suits for one of two reasons:

1. They are insecure about wearing clothes that fit correctly.
2. They are too lazy to get their suits altered to fit properly.

When you buy a suit, even from a mall store like Men's Wearhouse, they'll do some of the work(like hemming) for no extra charge.

My biggest interview attire advice is just don't wear black. It looks depressing.

As always, captainnerd gives great style advice. I also want to reiterate his point about not needing to buy a lot of clothes, so long as what you have fits well and is versatile. I've recently gone the way of CN and given most of my old clothes to goodwill and replaced it all with less than 1/4 of the volume.

Also, for everyone that always brings up the financial aspect, two things:

1. You can dress yourself well without breaking the bank. It doesn't cost that much to get a suit tailored, especially relative to the rest of your wardrobe or compared to the cost of applying.
2. Think of it as a long-term investment. If you buy cheap now, you'll have to go buy again in a few years. Unless you planning on gaining a bunch of weight, get a suit that will last and it will be cheaper in the long run (not to mention you'll look better the whole time).

After reading this I am sure premeds need to read GQ on a regular basis and for you southern guys (like me) www.southernproper.com is the way to go. I'm rocking the bow tie!

this post on styleforum sums up my view of bow ties almost perfectly. I wouldn't even go so far as to read GQ, 95% of guys would do much better just by paying a little bit of attention. When you notice someone you think is dressed well (or poorly), ask yourself why.

Boy oh boy. I came in here hoping to find Captainnerd and was not disappointed. Can we please just give him some special title? I feel it is wrong to not acknowledge the significant contributions he (or she? I don't remember) has made.

by the way, boo to watches.

Boy oh boy. I came in here hoping to find Captainnerd and was not disappointed. Can we please just give him some special title? I feel it is wrong to not acknowledge the significant contributions he (or she? I don't remember) has made.

by the way, boo to watches.

Do you really think a girl would know this much about men's clothing? The worst advice about clothes: a woman's. You can always tell when a guy is dressed by his girlfriend. He ends up with men's clothes with women's style. Women dress men so they end up looking cute, not correct.

Do you really think a girl would know this much about men's clothing? The worst advice about clothes: a woman's. You can always tell when a guy is dressed by his girlfriend. He ends up with men's clothes with women's style. Women dress men so they end up looking cute, not correct.

As a rule, agreed. I do know a few women with excellent taste in men's clothing though.

When I bought my interview suit at Nordstrom's in 2006, I was helped by a woman who had worked in the men's suit department at Nordstrom's for about 25 years. She was a real take charge gal and seemed very knowledgeable - she questioned me about the purpose of the suit and then steered me to a very nice classic navy blue suit. Then she helped me purchase some Allen Edmond dress shoes, belt, dress shirts, socks, and a couple of nice ties. I have been very happy with the outfit. I plan to wear it for residency interviews next winter.

But I would not let my girlfriend dress me. The Nordstrom's lady seemed to know her stuff.

As a rule, agreed. I do know a few women with excellent taste in men's clothing though.

The older the woman, the less she's interested in cute and the more conservative they tend to be about dress. The younger they are, the more clueless they are.

In the very high end of men's clothing world, everything is done by men. The measurer, the cutter, the clothsman. Maybe the seamstress is a woman but she just puts the parts together. The decision making about how something should be measured or cut to fit a person is a man. Same goes for the shoe industry from the leather cutters to how the leather is chosen and what part of the hide is used. Again, the seamstresses are women. At Kiton and Brioni, everything is done by men, 100%. Even the hand sewing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.