Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't go with light brown; medium or dark brown is probably ok (no lighter than dark chestnut) but I just went with black punched captoes.
same. im not a fan of the light brown. go with a medium-dark brown belt and loafers. shine them up and you'll be good. i like the suit. im too big to pull it off though 🙁
 
Thread.... revived!

What is everyone's opinion of the navy suit light brown shoe/belt combo? I love it and want to wear this to interviews but do you guys think it's a little too flashy?

http://api.ning.com/files/E9VorKPZT*rnZNZKSxi8vX76-bAgzf7E7PpWr8PQ5zU1mbOlxyo*843ZIzvxKmo5KSF0sGFXaqG Pk9S-ki4YBW1R6xbDxZlT0oft5lEJSTA_/bluesuit002.jpg

Nix the bag, of course.

EDIT: I clearly don't know how to insert an image properly. So, I just went with a hyperlink.


For interviews, no. Otherwise, for less formal occasions or occasions where your primary goal is not to gain the acceptance of someone in a position above you, I'm actually a big fan of navy with medium brown like that picture (I know you said light brown, but I would not consider that color light brown). It's a bit more fashion-forward, but not so much so that people will give you bizarre looks. I've gotten a lot of compliments on my navy suit + chili colored shoes, but would never wear this combo on an interview.

For interview season, when wearing a navy suit, stick to black or cordovan/burgundy shoes. I personally prefer the burgundy look with navy in this setting, but no one at a med school interview will give you a strange look if you're wearing black shoes/belt. And as drizzt said, try to go with a cap toe style, whether it's punched or not.
 
Tight fitted suits? Barney Stinson style, yeah?

Opt for "well-tailored." Don't be afraid to spend a few bucks on a quality tailor. You can get a good suit off the rack at places like Marshalls or Nordstrom Rack for pretty cheap, and then get it tailored to fit. Don't be the guy who shows up in what looks like his fathers suit, hanging off you all baggy, but it's probably not a great idea to err on the side of super-trendy ultra-tight fitting suits either. If you can find a good tailor, they can work with your body type to allow the suit to compliment you best while still maintaining a sense of formality. Tell the tailor what you're wearing the suit for, and he/she will be able to help you out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
same. im not a fan of the light brown. go with a medium-dark brown belt and loafers. shine them up and you'll be good. i like the suit. im too big to pull it off though 🙁

Sorry for all the posts, just want to reiterate what I said on the previous page about loafers. Not appropriate for a formal interview such as this. As Modus said, men wear lace-ups and loafers, but know when each is appropriate. This is not the time to wear loafers.
 
Interview suit? Yes / No?

It's not a tight fitted suit.

IMG_6530-Copy.jpg


edit: See attachment
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Okay, I attached it. Can u see it?

It's not a bad suit, but for interviews I would usually recommend a darker charcoal suit. As far as the shoes go, I personally am not a fan of the square-toed style, but overall those would tend to work with a charcoal/navy suit.

If that's the only suit you own and you don't have the luxury of lots of extra money for another one, that suit would probably do.
 
Thread.... revived!

What is everyone's opinion of the navy suit light brown shoe/belt combo? I love it and want to wear this to interviews but do you guys think it's a little too flashy?

http://api.ning.com/files/E9VorKPZT*rnZNZKSxi8vX76-bAgzf7E7PpWr8PQ5zU1mbOlxyo*843ZIzvxKmo5KSF0sGFXaqG Pk9S-ki4YBW1R6xbDxZlT0oft5lEJSTA_/bluesuit002.jpg

100% No. Even though it looks good in general.

Medicine is a conservative field. You are not trying to look cool. You're trying to look professional. Do not risk getting railed by someone who thinks the look is 'inappropriate' because you want to look good.

There's really only 2 options for suits:
1) Dark Charcoal
2) Navy blue
Note: black won't get points taken off, but this isn't a funeral or a ball. Keep suits solid or with LIGHT pinstripes.
EDIT: Note: 2 or 3 button suits only. You're not Steve Harvey, or trying to be a Dolce & Gabbana model. Absolutely do not get a double breasted suit. This is not 1990.

Three options for shirts:
1) White
2) White with white stripes (these look great)
3) Light blue

Three for ties:
1) Patterned
2) Paisley
3) Solid (only if you have a striped shirt)
Note: Avoid images on your ties. No NFL, college, or Gumby ties, or vineyard vines puppies.

Two for shoes:
1) Black
2) Dark brown (only if navy blue suit)
Edit: Note: lace-up oxford semigloss, only.

One for belt:
1) Matches shoes

One for jewelry:
1) Watch
Note: Watch optional. If you have piercings or tattoos, take them out or cover them up. Tie clips and cuff links should also not be used to avoid looking pretentious (I always wore these until a national board examiner told me to not have them in interviews for this reason).

One for hair:
1) Conservative. No faux hawks, no Bieber bangs. Easy on the gel

One for facial hair:
1) Shaven (unless you are a nontrad >30. they have more room to play)

Anything else is stepping out of safe territory. You risk some interviewers liking it, and some feeling you are 'unprofessional.' There is no reason to risk something here. Shine with your personality, not your suit.

In four years I've seen tons of kids roll in looking like Tony Stark, but never saw one of them at the white coat ceremony. Tony Stark made it, he can do whatever he wants. You haven't. You're competing with tens of thousands of other people for a spot. Why blow it with something so trivial?
 
Last edited:
Great advice everyone. You confirmed my concern about looking to flashy. I'll save the flashiness for post-acceptance celebration 😎
 
Wondering the same thing. That's a very classic style. It may not impress but certainly will not rub anybody the wrong way.

I should have added that the shoe should be a lace-up Oxford semi-gloss . Nonglossed leather invariably looks cheap and like pleather. For $75 (!) you can do much better.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is what I had planned on wearing: Navy suit, white shirt, navy/burgundy/white striped tie, black or dark brown shoes/belt. I've been told that combo works for me (dark hair, dark eyes, tan skin). A few questions:

1. Stripes okay for the tie or too bold? See pic below.

2. I never wear a watch. Is it really necessary to have one?

3. Is a spread collar too bullish?

$(KGrHqF,!ncE9fWnRnsnBPjvcfbQi!~~60_1.JPG


1. Broad stripes (like yours) are good. I usually wear a striped tie for interviews/meeting someone important. The color is ok. Personally I would wear something a little brighter and with more blues as opposed to the burgundy-heavy scheme here (esp since you're tan skinned). In addition, you've all heard the psychology of color, and it's something that merits consideration in your final choice of tie.

2. Watch is an option. You don't have to wear it. Just was mentioning that it is the only acceptable piece of male jewelry.

3. Spread collars are not too bullish and are the right option for certain men. Your collar type should depend on your face. Wide faced men should not wear them.
 
Whats wrong with the shoe lol

Honestly, my first thought was that those were some shoes made to dress up a construction worker. They look too rugged in my opinion, for an interview. They'd be much better suited for everyday office wear if you were in a cubicle 9-5.

This is what I had planned on wearing: Navy suit, white shirt, navy/burgundy/white striped tie, black or dark brown shoes/belt. I've been told that combo works for me (dark hair, dark eyes, tan skin). A few questions:

1. Stripes okay for the tie or too bold? See pic below.

2. I never wear a watch. Is it really necessary to have one?

3. Is a spread collar too bullish?

$(KGrHqF,!ncE9fWnRnsnBPjvcfbQi!~~60_1.JPG


IMO

1. Tie looks fine
2. Only wear a watch if you feel comfortable in it. If you feel weird/unnatural wearing it, don't.
3. Spread collars are fine. Just make sure the tips of the collars are covered (or close enoug) by the lapels on your jacket
 
It is safe to say the colors of the school at which you're intervieweing should be avoided? Say if a school's colors were dark red and blue, you'd want to avoid the above outfit?

I don't think that's an issue. I have no idea what my med school's colors are and I doubt faculty at most places do either (unless it's attached to a sports-heavy undergrad). Even if it is, it doesn't matter.
 
That's exactly the scenario. E.g., you're interviewing at U of Nebraska, maybe you avoid a tie w/ red in it so you don't look like you're trying too hard.

Lol funny you picked that school. I interviewed there. Wore a navy suit and red tie. Got in (ultimately didn't end up going, though). Granted I had no idea what the school colors were.

Again, it's a nonissue. Unless the color combination is really conspicuous, like bright blue/orange and you're at UF, they probably won't notice.
 
Disagree somewhat.

1) I think dark medium grey or even light grey suits are fine, but I wore a solid navy brioni suit to almost all my interviews.

2) I think any light colored shirt is fine, patterned or otherwise, preferably w/o pocket.

3) I think any color tie is appropriate if it's not gaudy. Patterns are fine. If I knew a school was big into their school colors i'd match them as closely as possible (purple for Washington, nyu, and northwestern, crimson/cardinal for Harvard/Stanford, blue/red for Penn.

4) I prefer black shoes with said suit, and obv a black belt.

5) I generally wore a white linen pocket square with my suits.

6) do not wear a watch with a metal band with a suit. I wore either an iwc Portuguese or big pilot with alligator band to all my interviews, but anything with a leather/croc/gator band is fine, don't wear a brown band if you are wearing black shoes/belt. I actually had a resident at an interview ask to try on my big pilot haha.





100% No. Even though it looks good in general.

Medicine is a conservative field. You are not trying to look cool. You're trying to look professional. Do not risk getting railed by someone who thinks the look is 'inappropriate' because you want to look good.

There's really only 2 options for suits:
1) Dark Charcoal
2) Navy blue
Note: black won't get points taken off, but this isn't a funeral or a ball. Keep suits solid or with LIGHT pinstripes.
EDIT: Note: 2 or 3 button suits only. You're not Steve Harvey, or trying to be a Dolce & Gabbana model. Absolutely do not get a double breasted suit. This is not 1990.

Three options for shirts:
1) White
2) White with white stripes (these look great)
3) Light blue

Three for ties:
1) Patterned
2) Paisley
3) Solid (only if you have a striped shirt)
Note: Avoid images on your ties. No NFL, college, or Gumby ties, or vineyard vines puppies.

Two for shoes:
1) Black
2) Dark brown (only if navy blue suit)
Edit: Note: lace-up oxford semigloss, only.

One for belt:
1) Matches shoes

One for jewelry:
1) Watch
Note: If you have piercings or tattoos, take them out or cover them up. Tie clips and cuff links should also not be used to avoid looking pretentious (I always wore these until a national board examiner told me to not have them in interviews for this reason).

One for hair:
1) Conservative. No faux hawks, no Bieber bangs. Easy on the gel

One for facial hair:
1) Shaven (unless you are a nontrad >30. they have more room to play)

Anything else is stepping out of safe territory. You risk some interviewers liking it, and some feeling you are 'unprofessional.' There is no reason to risk something here. Shine with your personality, not your suit.

In four years I've seen tons of kids roll in looking like Tony Stark, but never saw one of them at the white coat ceremony. Tony Stark made it, he can do whatever he wants. You haven't. You're competing with tens of thousands of other people for a spot. Why blow it with something so trivial?
 
Disagree somewhat.

1) I think dark medium grey or even light grey suits are fine, but I wore a solid navy brioni suit to almost all my interviews.

2) I think any light colored shirt is fine, patterned or otherwise, preferably w/o pocket.

3) I think any color tie is appropriate if it's not gaudy. Patterns are fine. If I knew a school was big into their school colors i'd match them as closely as possible (purple for Washington, nyu, and northwestern, crimson/cardinal for Harvard/Stanford, blue/red for Penn.

4) I prefer black shoes with said suit, and obv a black belt.

5) I generally wore a white linen pocket square with my suits.

6) do not wear a watch with a metal band with a suit. I wore either an iwc Portuguese or big pilot with alligator band to all my interviews, but anything with a leather/croc/gator band is fine, don't wear a brown band if you are wearing black shoes/belt. I actually had a resident at an interview ask to try on my big pilot haha.

wtf baller
 
5) I generally wore a white linen pocket square with my suits.

Pocket squares rock, and are a must-have for most occasions with a suit. That said, I would never feel comfortable wearing it to work or an interview. I've only ever seen 2 people wear pocket squares to work. One was the president of the american society of plastic surgeons, and the other the president of the american society of aesthetic plastic surgeons.

So I must ask, was it flat, folded, or puffed?
 
Tv fold.

Pocket squares rock, and are a must-have for most occasions with a suit. That said, I would never feel comfortable wearing it to work or an interview. I've only ever seen 2 people wear pocket squares to work. One was the president of the american society of plastic surgeons, and the other the president of the american society of aesthetic plastic surgeons.

So I must ask, was it flat, folded, or puffed?
 
Btw I rocked this for several interviews; IMO it's the ultimate interview and/or power tie.

http://www.gilt.com/brand/luigi-bia...luigi-bianchi-mantova-silk-polka-dot-tie?sku=

Navy suit, white or light blue spread collar shirt (ideally neapolitan), sleek black captoes (I prefer ferragamo tramezzas for comfort and longevity but you could get by with allan Edmonds), black belt, nice watch, linen pocket square with a tv fold, you're ready to knock them dead. I usually rocked glasses for interviews, either wayfarers with clear lenses or Paul smith x Oliver peoples PS-1.
 
Just popping to say how tremendously helpful this thread was going through the interview process. I learned so damn much about professional wear for men. Pay attention, people.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wondering the same thing. That's a very classic style. It may not impress but certainly will not rub anybody the wrong way.

Terribly clunky sole. This kind of thing should never be paired with a suit. A cap toe is good, but this shoe is not at all what you want.
 
Got this suit from Nordstrom Rack last week for about $400. Not going to have a cuff on the pants though. Good?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hickey-...ferralID=84e4df8d-ace3-11e1-8e16-001b2166becc

Also, I have several shirts with this type of pattern (forgive me, I don't know what it's called).

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...ID=580043&cm_mmc=Google_Feed-_-5-_-57-_-MP557

Probably won't wear something with an oxford collar (button down collar), but I was considering wearing the above style/design/print shirt with a striped tie. Is a solid shirt a better idea?
 
Damn those look SHARP

What are they?

Salvatore Ferragamo Tramezza punched captoes. Mine are black (I think the ones in the pic are too but the color looks off on my phone) but they come in black, chestnut, brown, and cordovan I believe.
 
Got this suit from Nordstrom Rack last week for about $400. Not going to have a cuff on the pants though. Good?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hickey-...ferralID=84e4df8d-ace3-11e1-8e16-001b2166becc

Nice suit, safe choice if not particularly fashionable. Make sure it's tailored to fit though, it's a classic American brand so can be boxy. Good call on not cuffing, it looks staid.

As far as the shirts go, I wouldn't, although it wouldn't be completely wrong. Good rule of thumb is not having more than 2 patterns out of your suit, shirt, and tie, but I think a striped tie with checked shirt has the potential to be busy.
 
Nice suit, make sure it's tailored to fit though, it's a classic American brand so can be boxy. Good call on not cuffing, it looks staid.

Ok thank you. I had it tailored by someone at nordstrom rack and it looked good to me when it was pinned. I'm picking it up on Friday though, so we'll see.

This is the first suit I've ever owned!
 
Got this suit from Nordstrom Rack last week for about $400. Not going to have a cuff on the pants though. Good?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hickey-...ferralID=84e4df8d-ace3-11e1-8e16-001b2166becc

Also, I have several shirts with this type of pattern (forgive me, I don't know what it's called).

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...ID=580043&cm_mmc=Google_Feed-_-5-_-57-_-MP557

Probably won't wear something with an oxford collar (button down collar), but I was considering wearing the above style/design/print shirt with a striped tie. Is a solid shirt a better idea?

Fine suit. I think striped ties with hatch-pattern shirts have too many lines going on. A simple pattern tie (like the one somebody posted above) I think goes better.

EDIT: Woops, didn't see drizzt posted basically the same thing. Congrats on owning your first suit!
 
Btw I rocked this for several interviews; IMO it's the ultimate interview and/or power tie.

http://www.gilt.com/brand/luigi-bia...luigi-bianchi-mantova-silk-polka-dot-tie?sku=

Navy suit, white or light blue spread collar shirt (ideally neapolitan), sleek black captoes (I prefer ferragamo tramezzas for comfort and longevity but you could get by with allan Edmonds), black belt, nice watch, linen pocket square with a tv fold, you're ready to knock them dead. I usually rocked glasses for interviews, either wayfarers with clear lenses or Paul smith x Oliver peoples PS-1.


I wore two different suits this year for residency interviews. A DKNY charcoal suit and a CK navy suit.

With the charcoal suit I wore my black Allen Edmonds Park Aves (don't have a pic of mine handy, but for everyone else here's a pic):
81DC7BRVEQL._SL1500_.jpg


With my navy suit I wore "cheap" burgundy J&M Meltons. Not a fan of black shoes with navy suit, as I've said before.

Edit: sorry for the huge photo.
 
Quick note of caution on finding a tailor--

Beware of dry cleaner tailors. They are easier to find and cheaper, but you run the risk of having your suit butchered. Ask around friends/family for a respectable tailor who they have worked with. I have been charged $50-100 for suit alterations, depending on how much needed to be done.

Higher-end places will bring you in for alterations after your suit is made as part of the price.
 
Park aves aren't bad; AEs don't fit my feet right so I prefer tramezzas in E width or santonis. The tramezzas are the most comfortable leather soled shoes I own besides my custom Vass.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Park aves aren't bad; AEs don't fit my feet right so I prefer tramezzas in E width or santonis. The tramezzas are the most comfortable leather soled shoes I own besides my custom Vass.

Nice. I'm an AE guy across the board, really. Between the different lasts and complete gamut of widths available, I find it pretty easy to find a good fit in just about all their models. Sometimes just have to tweak the length/width, but I'm a pretty firm believer that most people can find a good fit with them.

That, and I like the American-made thing too. Never tried a pair of Tramezzas.
 
Nice. I'm an AE guy across the board, really. Between the different lasts and complete gamut of widths available, I find it pretty easy to find a good fit in just about all their models. Sometimes just have to tweak the length/width, but I'm a pretty firm believer that most people can find a good fit with them.

That, and I like the American-made thing too. Never tried a pair of Tramezzas.

They're well made; I prefer Alden for American made shoes, but I mostly own boots by alden. I generally prefer Paul smith laceups or gucci loafers for casual wear and diff Italian shoes for business wear.
 
They're well made; I prefer Alden for American made shoes, but I mostly own boots by alden. I generally prefer Paul smith laceups or gucci loafers for casual wear and diff Italian shoes for business wear.

Most of my AE purchases have been through their 2 for $200 sales or outlet factory seconds (for usually around or under $250 a pair with unnoticeable blemishes). AEs are just more "available" at least where I am, and Alden's slightly higher price point has made me more of an AE guy. Plus, they have top rate customer service, which in my opinion is essential.
 
For guys checking this thread out, allow me to make a suggestion. Assuming you've been able to figure out which color shoes to wear with your suit (black with charcoal suit, black or burgundy/cordovan with navy), consider this shoe. Regardless of what people will say about corrected grain vs. calfskin leather and whatnot, these are good "entry level" dress shoes (I use that phrase lightly because I realize students are often on a budget; however, you should really invest in one pair of quality and timeless dress shoes that will last you many, many years). If you're not ready to make the jump to Allen Edmonds/Alden/etc (a pair of which will probably last you 20-30 years easy), here you go:

Johnston & Murphy Melton (retail $130-175)

http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-Mens-Melton-Oxford/dp/B000UUGZN6

31P6MaCvBcL.jpg


These are a good starting point if you're not looking to break the bank on a pair of higher end shoes. What's more, you can find very gently-used pairs of these on ebay for ~$20-50 much of the time. A used pair of Meltons is better than most other choices people on here are suggesting.