Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have dark brown shoes and I'm not buying new ones. What color suit should I shoot for?

navy

ETA: the brown needs to be at least as dark as the suit, so it depends what you mean by "dark brown." If they aren't dark enough to wear with navy, the best suit for your shoes would be grey.
 
Last edited:
Just went to my first interview and I'm so glad I read this forum for style advice. Huge sea of BLACK.. and some guys still had the tailor's threading on their jackets (the stuff you're supposed to cut off the vents to open them up? dunno what the real name is)...

Kinda Embarrassing >_>
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Never been to the East Coast before. Is it cold enough in October that I have to worry about wearing something outside the suit? What do you wear?
The coldest temperatures you're likely to experience are ~40 degrees in October. More like 50-60 on average. On interview day, you probably won't be outside all that much depending on where you stay and how you get there.

It's not uncommon to see interviewees wear big puffy jackets and take them off when they get there. If you want to be pro, get an overcoat.
 
Lab coat and stethoscope. If you want to appear you'll be a good doctor, why not wear the uniform?

Also wear a surgeon's mask, that way if the interview goes poorly you can just slip into the night.
 
Lab coat and stethoscope. If you want to appear you'll be a good doctor, why not wear the uniform?

Also wear a surgeon's mask, that way if the interview goes poorly you can just slip into the night.

Please quit your day job. You're hilarious!
 
Is wearing a black tie to an interview a bad idea?

Yes. You're going to an interview, not a funeral. Put on some color and don't look like you're honoring the dead.

Went on my first interview last week and it definitely looked like our entire interview group read this thread before going.

My first interview was the complete opposite. 40 people or so, only about 5 that wore something other than black. A few people still had tailor's thread on their vents which I quietly chuckled to myself. Everyone looked the same, except for the 5 people that wore non-black.
 
As a black male with somewhat lighter skin (half black, half filipino), what do you guys think would look good on me?
 
Blue shirt and silver tie ok for interview? Also I talked a a friend who told me wearing silver tie is not appropriate and I just remember the picture I sent to medical school featuring me in a purple shirt and a silver tie. Did I just give them some reasons not to interview me with that outfit?
 
Last edited:
Grey anything suit = black shoes unless you're a GQ model and know how to pull some swank. In general, I think interview attire should stick to classic tried and true formulas.

Eh? Men's Warehouse guy suggested brown/burgundy shoes with my charcoal suit.

Also, agree with many people here that standard black suit, white/light blue shirt was by far the dominant attire for men.
 
How do I say this nicely..hmm..this is pre-med BS.

Yes, people judge you and If you look like crap they will notice, same if you smell.

But I have interviewed hundreds of people in the last decade for jobs (most in the $60-75k/yr range) and 24 hours after the interview I couldn't tell you candidate's tie color if my life was on the line. Though I might remember if you didn't wear one.

You want to look like you belong, but nobody is going to say "he would make a great Dr, but that black suit just didn't hang right on him, send him packing"

Look nice, relax and most importantly remember they want to know what kind of physician you will be, not if you know which color tie makes people think happy thoughts.


PS: to clarify I wear a shirt/tie to work everyday. I will be wearing my charcoal suit and one of a couple shirt/tie combos depending on my mood when I pack.

Thank you! I own a black suit and nothing else; I don't want to have to buy a new suit just for an interview. I think that's ridiculous. If I'm dressed professionally, even with a black suit, I don't think it should serious affect me in my interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you! I own a black suit and nothing else; I don't want to have to buy a new suit just for an interview. I think that's ridiculous. If I'm dressed professionally, even with a black suit, I don't think it should serious affect me in my interview.

meh, i don't care who that guy has interviewed, he missed the point of the post he was replying to, completely.

that said, no, you do not need to run out and buy another suit if you have one already that's in good repair and fits you well. consider grey or navy for your next suit purchase, however - whenever that might be.
 
Going to be in NH (Dartmouth) in January! Being from Atlanta, I have a feeling I will be a bit unprepared. Thoughts on overcoats? I really don't like the way trench coats look, want something simple and classy.
 
Going to be in NH (Dartmouth) in January! Being from Atlanta, I have a feeling I will be a bit unprepared. Thoughts on overcoats? I really don't like the way trench coats look, want something simple and classy.

Trench coats are perfect if you need to carry out a mass murder. 🙂 I'm no expert but I think a longer peacoat would look great, something like this:

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/CPaGoods/itemcode=069528

And I've read on other SDN threads that a black suit is too stylish, is that true?

Same for brown/burgundy shoes with a navy suit?
 
What kind of suit would be good for a green tie? I don't know why, but green really works with my skin / eyes.
 
spacer.gif


What do you guys think of the color of this suit? I already purchased it, but was wondering if it was too light. Any suggestion on tie color? Thanks for any advice

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/alfani-red-suit-separates-grey-sharkskin-slim-fit?ID=449323
 
Last edited:
thanks for the advice on coats guys! I'm going to go look at some nice classy overcoats like those 🙂

@ NINERDYNASTY24: I like it! I saw a guy at my AECOM interview wearing a suit about that color and it looked sharp. You'll definitely stand out among all the black and navy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
 
I wanted to look trad but a little different and I'm glad, at my first interview, 95% of MD-only applicants had black/navy suits, white shirt, red power tie, unshakably coiffed hair (think, Conan O'Brien). The MD/PhD applicants were a bit more unique, if not nerdier 😉

I did the alfani red slim fit grey suit (traditional, but slightly euro/modern) with this overcoat in the charcoal/subtle plaid: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...3&LinkType#fn=COAT_STYLE=Overcoat&sp=1&spc=39
 
I wanted to look trad but a little different and I'm glad, at my first interview, 95% of MD-only applicants had black/navy suits, white shirt, red power tie, unshakably coiffed hair (think, Conan O'Brien). The MD/PhD applicants were a bit more unique, if not nerdier 😉

I did the alfani red slim fit grey suit (traditional, but slightly euro/modern) with this overcoat in the charcoal/subtle plaid: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...3&LinkType#fn=COAT_STYLE=Overcoat&sp=1&spc=39

gj on the suit but that plaid overcoat looks ugly as hell bro
 
What's the consensus on Jerry Garcia ties?

Is something like this:

http://www.tieguys.com/Detailed/6828.html

too informal?
Is it possible to make it work if you get the right color?

are you trolling with that tie (Troll grey lol)?

jg1021-grm.jpg


One of the worst ties one could possibly wear. Not only is it too informal, it's downright ugly. Your tie should be classic not some wannabe canvas for a wannabe artist
 
I dont give a damn what you guys say about black suits, they look great and thats what I'm buying. Those light navy and gray suits dont look nearly as good IMO.

james-franco.jpg
 
I'm visiting all you pre-meds from residency interviewing land, hoping to help you shed your bad habits early. You would not believe the awful clothing-related atrocities still perpetrated by 4th year medical students applying for residencies.

1. It is not acceptable to wear anything that looks remotely like this with your suit:

220px-Hush_Puppy_shoe.jpg


2. Please remove the tailoring string from the vents in the rear of your suit (whether it's a single or double vented suit). We know you bought your suit solely for this interview, but you don't have to flaunt that fact.

3. Charcoal or navy are excellent suit choices. Black suits, aside from being ugly and generally inappropriate, scream "I AM A PREMED AND I DO NOT UNDERSTAND MEN'S ATTIRE AT ALL." Do yourself a favor and buy a suit you'll actually want to wear at other functions in the future other than a funeral.

4. Button-down collars are pretty much the least formal type of collar there is. Pinpoint or spread collar should be your only real choices.

5. Socks match the trousers.

6. NEVER BUTTON THE BOTTOM BUTTON OF YOUR SUIT JACKET. EVER.

7. Please get your suit tailored. Even if it's by the 30-minute tailoring by some Korean lady in the mall. Your pants should not bunch up at your ankles, and your coat sleeves should not suffocate your hands. Your shirt sleeves should peek out about 1/4 to 1/2 inch past your coat sleeves.

8. Avoid patterns on all 3 elements of your dress (suit, shirt, and tie). Striped suit, striped shirt, and striped (or any pattern) tie is too busy and generally frowned upon. If you MUST wear a pinstripe suit, make sure either your shirt or your tie (or both) are solid colors.

9. SLIP-ON SHOES ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE. WEAR LACE-UP OXFORDS.

10. Speaking of shoes, you should consider investing in a pair of nice shoes. They don't have to be Allen-Edmonds (although you can get lightly used pairs on ebay for super cheap), but consider Johnston and Murphy or Cole Haan. Cap-toe balmorals like the picture below are the gold standard. Moc-toe shoes could work in a pinch, but are less formal. Leather soles should be your only consideration. Dress shoes should not ever have rubber soles (but again, this is all predicated on your willingness to spend >$100 on a pair of shoes, which many will not want to do even though they will last you nearly a lifetime).

allen115805_58355_jb.jpg


11. Belt and shoes should match (if not exact, nearly exactly).

12. For charcoal or black suits (if you didn't listen to my advice earlier and got a black one), black shoes/belt.

13. For navy suits, black shoes/belt, or burgundy/cordovan if you want to spruce it up a bit. Both are acceptable. A dark brown/chestnut is acceptable, but considered slightly less formal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those worried about shoes - I picked up a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues from Nordstrom Rack for $80. I honestly can't tell why they were considered seconds. Granted this was a few years ago... point being, there are TONS of ways to get expensive shoes on the cheap. Invest in yourself.
 
Interesting link about wearing suits:

...A lot of signaling analysis imagines just two parties, the party signaling and the party interpreting the signal. But often signals have a wider scope – signal interpreters often care a lot about how still other parties will interpret their signal interpretation. For example, even if you didn’t wear a suit to a job interview, in the hour long interview you might still convince your interviewer that you’d be a capable productive employee. Yet that interviewer could still be reluctant to hire you, knowing they’d have to explain the hire to others who know you didn’t wear a suit. Interviewers can similarly be reluctant to hire a competent person from a low ranked college, if others might hear of this fact and think less of them.
....
What about entertainers, who often wear “wild” clothing yet clearly seek to impress a wide audience that cares about what still others think of their entertainment choices? Since such entertainers are often especially valued for their originality, defiance, or trend foresight, they must often walk a very fine line between looking unimpressive via seeming too conservative, and giving too much offense by being wild in the wrong way. I envy them not....
 
Signaling is everything. I wore a navy Canali suit with Prada shoes... at FIU - a public med school in Miami - I was looked at by the other applicants and my interviewers negatively (rich southern californian stereotype...). I was wishing that I had worn a Menswarehouse non-tailored suit... At USC, I felt like I fit in just fine. As someone that doesn't tend to focus on what he is wearing, I couldn't believe how a suit could lead to such a dramatic emotional reaction.
 
Signaling is everything. I wore a navy Canali suit with Prada shoes... at FIU - a public med school in Miami - I was looked at by the other applicants and my interviewers negatively (rich southern californian stereotype...). I was wishing that I had worn a Menswarehouse non-tailored suit... At USC, I felt like I fit in just fine. As someone that doesn't tend to focus on what he is wearing, I couldn't believe how a suit could lead to such a dramatic emotional reaction.

Yea. I was told that you shouldn't wear labels to any interviews, generally...
 
I'm visiting all you pre-meds from residency interviewing land, hoping to help you shed your bad habits early. You would not believe the awful clothing-related atrocities still perpetrated by 4th year medical students applying for residencies.

1. It is not acceptable to wear anything that looks remotely like this with your suit:

220px-Hush_Puppy_shoe.jpg


2. Please remove the tailoring string from the vents in the rear of your suit (whether it's a single or double vented suit). We know you bought your suit solely for this interview, but you don't have to flaunt that fact.

3. Charcoal or navy are excellent suit choices. Black suits, aside from being ugly and generally inappropriate, scream "I AM A PREMED AND I DO NOT UNDERSTAND MEN'S ATTIRE AT ALL." Do yourself a favor and buy a suit you'll actually want to wear at other functions in the future other than a funeral.

4. Button-down collars are pretty much the least formal type of collar there is. Pinpoint or spread collar should be your only real choices.

5. Socks match the trousers.

6. NEVER BUTTON THE BOTTOM BUTTON OF YOUR SUIT JACKET. EVER.

7. Please get your suit tailored. Even if it's by the 30-minute tailoring by some Korean lady in the mall. Your pants should not bunch up at your ankles, and your coat sleeves should not suffocate your hands. Your shirt sleeves should peek out about 1/4 to 1/2 inch past your coat sleeves.

8. Avoid patterns on all 3 elements of your dress (suit, shirt, and tie). Striped suit, striped shirt, and striped (or any pattern) tie is too busy and generally frowned upon. If you MUST wear a pinstripe suit, make sure either your shirt or your tie (or both) are solid colors.

9. SLIP-ON SHOES ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE. WEAR LACE-UP OXFORDS.

10. Speaking of shoes, you should consider investing in a pair of nice shoes. They don't have to be Allen-Edmonds (although you can get lightly used pairs on ebay for super cheap), but consider Johnston and Murphy or Cole Haan. Cap-toe balmorals like the picture below are the gold standard. Moc-toe shoes could work in a pinch, but are less formal. Leather soles should be your only consideration. Dress shoes should not ever have rubber soles (but again, this is all predicated on your willingness to spend >$100 on a pair of shoes, which many will not want to do even though they will last you nearly a lifetime).

allen115805_58355_jb.jpg


11. Belt and shoes should match (if not exact, nearly exactly).

12. For charcoal or black suits (if you didn't listen to my advice earlier and got a black one), black shoes/belt.

13. For navy suits, black shoes/belt, or burgundy/cordovan if you want to spruce it up a bit. Both are acceptable. A dark brown/chestnut is acceptable, but considered slightly less formal.

FINALLY some great, comprehensive advice. I swear some male interviewees were wearing a suit for the first time in their lives. I saw one guy wear a clip-on tie (!!!), and it wasn't even on straight. Then again, the same guy still had his vent stitches in, wore a black suit with a purple shirt and red tie, had his arm sleeves extend to his knuckles, wore pants that were 3 inches too long, and had on black boots. He also constantly asked what kind of measures could be taken if a student were to fail a course in medical school. Hmm..

As far as cold weather attire goes, I interviewed on a day where the high was about 30 degrees. I wore a 3 piece grey suit, white shirt, black tie, black oxfords. I also had on a silver tie bar and a white pocket square. Since it was cold and windy, walking in I had on a black overcoat and burberry scarf. Each of my interviewers remarked on the sharpness of my dress and one had mentioned that he wished all interviewers took the extra consideration to look good. I can't say that this would fly everywhere though. Probably too "fashionable".
 
FINALLY some great, comprehensive advice. I swear some male interviewees were wearing a suit for the first time in their lives. I saw one guy wear a clip-on tie (!!!), and it wasn't even on straight. Then again, the same guy still had his vent stitches in, wore a black suit with a purple shirt and red tie, had his arm sleeves extend to his knuckles, wore pants that were 3 inches too long, and had on black boots. He also constantly asked what kind of measures could be taken if a student were to fail a course in medical school. Hmm..

As far as cold weather attire goes, I interviewed on a day where the high was about 30 degrees. I wore a 3 piece grey suit, white shirt, black tie, black oxfords. I also had on a silver tie bar and a white pocket square. Since it was cold and windy, walking in I had on a black overcoat and burberry scarf. Each of my interviewers remarked on the sharpness of my dress and one had mentioned that he wished all interviewers took the extra consideration to look good. I can't say that this would fly everywhere though. Probably too "fashionable".

3pc suit, tie bar and a burberry scarf? LIKE A BOSS!!!
 
Signaling is everything. I wore a navy Canali suit with Prada shoes... at FIU - a public med school in Miami - I was looked at by the other applicants and my interviewers negatively (rich southern californian stereotype...). I was wishing that I had worn a Menswarehouse non-tailored suit... At USC, I felt like I fit in just fine. As someone that doesn't tend to focus on what he is wearing, I couldn't believe how a suit could lead to such a dramatic emotional reaction.

+1, i try to match my suit to the school, though my read isn't always perfect.

for one thing, i wear wing tips north of the Mason-Dixon line, and cap toes south
 
Is it able to be slicked back?

Nope. Also, it's much longer than that. Just to be sure I know what you're talking about, could you find a comparable pic?

Any good curly hairstyle? I wish I had straight hair sometimes just because of how much easier it would be.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope. Also, it's much longer than that. Just to be sure I know what you're talking about, could you find a comparable pic?

Any good curly hairstyle? I wish I had straight hair sometimes just because of how much easier it would be.

Serious question: what about a buzzcut? Or at least a very short style with clippers (#2 to #3 combs or so)?
 
Serious question: what about a buzzcut? Or at least a very short style with clippers (#2 to #3 combs or so)?

I'd really prefer to not go with hair that short (I don't think it looks good on me). Would there be anything else I could do that would be professional enough? I'm at a loss here.
 
I'd really prefer to not go with hair that short (I don't think it looks good on me). Would there be anything else I could do that would be professional enough? I'm at a loss here.

Hope this helps:
From what I've read (here and other places), go on the shorter side. I think this is your first interview? Congrats! Don't take chances. Go conservatively.

Styling strategies
Cut your hair short all around and leave it unlayered (with the exception of around the ears). Use a small amount of mousse, comb it back and let it air dry. Or, instead of combing back, you can try a slight part on the side.

Of course, if all that seems like too much work, you can do what curly-haired men have done for years: Buzz it off or clip it very short and spike it up.

Read more: http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_250/251b_fashion_advice.html#ixzz1gJfaOsQ1
 
So I have an interview in DC coming up in three weeks and I'm searching for a suit. I already have the style and color I want, I'm just looking for a price now ($200 is my limit). That being said, what other things should I be looking for since I know its going to be stupid cold and seeing as I'm from Cali, I'm going to need to bundle up appropriately.