Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have an interview in DC coming up in three weeks and I'm searching for a suit. I already have the style and color I want, I'm just looking for a price now ($200 is my limit). That being said, what other things should I be looking for since I know its going to be stupid cold and seeing as I'm from Cali, I'm going to need to bundle up appropriately.

A winter coat wouldn't hurt.
 
what about for hispanic men!!! Im looking everywhere for images of good suits on hispanic men. Im not dark but not light skinned either. Im in good shape, body of a soccer player since ive played my entire life. Any help with colors for latinos!
 
what about for hispanic men!!! Im looking everywhere for images of good suits on hispanic men. Im not dark but not light skinned either. Im in good shape, body of a soccer player since ive played my entire life. Any help with colors for latinos!
Gray. A medium-dark gray suit (in my opinion) is perfect for a tan complexion. Keep the shirt light (pale blue or white) and the tie dark (blacks, navies) and you're good to go.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I honestly think that the important thing is to look professional imo. As long as you're clean and wearing nothing too flashy you'll be fine. Make sure your hygiene is impeccable though!
 
I honestly think that the important thing is to look professional imo. As long as you're clean and wearing nothing too flashy you'll be fine. Make sure your hygiene is impeccable though!

I'm always surprised when people don't know how to dress professionally. I once saw a guy go into a job interview with a white suit and pink vest/tie combo (yes, this was real life). If you wish to stand out from the crowd without overdoing it, change up the color of your tie.
 
For those of you wanting to look like a boss in your interview, check out zara.com. I just got my suit from them and had my interview, I felt like Prince Edward at the royal wedding. Sizes are true to size and it took me about 5 days to get my suit. Make sure tie width is no wider than 3 inches. Peace!
 
Will this work?
50_cent_suit.jpg
 
10. Speaking of shoes, you should consider investing in a pair of nice shoes. They don't have to be Allen-Edmonds (although you can get lightly used pairs on ebay for super cheap), but consider Johnston and Murphy or Cole Haan. Cap-toe balmorals like the picture below are the gold standard. Moc-toe shoes could work in a pinch, but are less formal. Leather soles should be your only consideration. Dress shoes should not ever have rubber soles (but again, this is all predicated on your willingness to spend >$100 on a pair of shoes, which many will not want to do even though they will last you nearly a lifetime).

This post is all great advice except for maybe the leather sole thing depending on location. If you have leather soles and wear them outside in a wet climate (like the Pacific NW) your shoes will get destroyed (although you can probably do it a few times and be fine if its just for OOS interviews). I have found the best thing to do is take them to a RELIABLE shoe store and have the leather soles removed and replaced with hardish rubber. Note this is not just slapping some rubber over the leather, but actually removing the leather and replacing it with rubber. When done properly, no one can tell when looking at it from the top/side and very few people would notice if they flipped the shoe over.

Secondly, I would recommend a nice pair of shoe trees for travel and just in general to keep creases out of your shoes and to keep them looking sharp.

Both of these steps will greatly increase the life of your shoes and in reality you should be able to wear them for the rest of your life as a nice pair of shoes will not go out of style.
 
This post is all great advice except for maybe the leather sole thing depending on location. If you have leather soles and wear them outside in a wet climate (like the Pacific NW) your shoes will get destroyed (although you can probably do it a few times and be fine if its just for OOS interviews). I have found the best thing to do is take them to a RELIABLE shoe store and have the leather soles removed and replaced with hardish rubber. Note this is not just slapping some rubber over the leather, but actually removing the leather and replacing it with rubber. When done properly, no one can tell when looking at it from the top/side and very few people would notice if they flipped the shoe over.

Secondly, I would recommend a nice pair of shoe trees for travel and just in general to keep creases out of your shoes and to keep them looking sharp.

Both of these steps will greatly increase the life of your shoes and in reality you should be able to wear them for the rest of your life as a nice pair of shoes will not go out of style.

You have just suggested paying money to replace leather soles with rubber. Blasphemous.

Leather soles will be ok in the wet provided they have been broken in and you don't wear them again the next day. They have to be given the chance to dry back out again. You won't be wearing them every day to school, so the possibility of a couple rain incidents during interview season shouldn't dissuade you from owning leather soles, which are otherwise superior to rubber in nearly every way.
 
what is the opinion on linen jackets? i had an interview in memphis(hot and humid already in march and i get hot and sweaty like nobody's business). rocked the blue linen jacket, grayish slacks, yellow shirt w/ tie that accented both jacket and shirt, and loafers w/ matching belt.

usually wear a black suit with jade green shirt and good tie. but i decided to change it up
 
We meet again, kind sir. 🙂 I wouldn't interview in anything over than a suit. But anything goes in the South, I suppose.

As for your normal interview attire, I have to disagree. I firmly believe suit should either be gray or navy. Harder to pull of black but it's possible. And the shirt should be white or oxford blue, ALWAYS.
last time we meet.... enjoy the ban troll.
 
what is the opinion on linen jackets? i had an interview in memphis(hot and humid already in march and i get hot and sweaty like nobody's business). rocked the blue linen jacket, grayish slacks, yellow shirt w/ tie that accented both jacket and shirt, and loafers w/ matching belt.

usually wear a black suit with jade green shirt and good tie. but i decided to change it up

The expected dress for interviews is business attire. That means a suit. Suit means a jacket and pants cut of the same cloth. You wore a business casual getup (blazer and slacks).

A suit made of linen/light cotton would be appropriate in warmer months, especially in the south. Don't wear seersucker, just because it's not really formal except in context.

While we're on the topic, green and yellow shirts shouldn't be worn by white people. I don't know if you're white, so I'm not going to tell you not to wear them. If worn, they should typically be paired with brown suits. It will look very 70's regardless.
 
The expected dress for interviews is business attire. That means a suit. Suit means a jacket and pants cut of the same cloth. You wore a business casual getup (blazer and slacks).

A suit made of linen/light cotton would be appropriate in warmer months, especially in the south. Don't wear seersucker, just because it's not really formal except in context.

While we're on the topic, green and yellow shirts shouldn't be worn by white people. I don't know if you're white, so I'm not going to tell you not to wear them. If worn, they should typically be paired with brown suits. It will look very 70's regardless.

linen is never appropriate for interview attire. not even in the South. i've wondered at times what i would have done if i had interviews in the south (only had one and it was chilly even for November when i was there, so no problem). the best solution is a tropical wool suit in a 7-8oz fabric, but these are expensive and difficult to come by. plus they wrinkle easily.

so, though i hate to say it, the best option here for your typical impoverished pre-med is probably a blended fabric. This isn't a bad option.

i've found green and yellow can be worn by guys with a very fair complexion. but the color can't be too saturated. an easy yellow with a navy suit can work well. but i would never wear these colors to any interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You have just suggested paying money to replace leather soles with rubber. Blasphemous.

Leather soles will be ok in the wet provided they have been broken in and you don't wear them again the next day. They have to be given the chance to dry back out again. You won't be wearing them every day to school, so the possibility of a couple rain incidents during interview season shouldn't dissuade you from owning leather soles, which are otherwise superior to rubber in nearly every way.

Yeah. A lot of people overestimate how delicate leather soles are.

I have a pair of leather soled boots that I typically wear when it's raining or there's snow/slush on the ground. They've lasted through a Michigan winter with just some scuffing from abrasion. There doesn't appear to be any water damage. My one complaint is that they really don't have much traction at all when it gets slippery. Durability-wise, they're fine.
 
Yeah. A lot of people overestimate how delicate leather soles are.

I have a pair of leather soled boots that I typically wear when it's raining or there's snow/slush on the ground. They've lasted through a Michigan winter with just some scuffing from abrasion. There doesn't appear to be any water damage. My one complaint is that they really don't have much traction at all when it gets slippery. Durability-wise, they're fine.

lol i can remember one interview in particular where i was almost late because i had to creep slowly along a sidewalk that was covered with black ice from the bus stop to the school itself. don't think the sole material would have helped in that situation though.
 
You have just suggested paying money to replace leather soles with rubber. Blasphemous.

Leather soles will be ok in the wet provided they have been broken in and you don't wear them again the next day. They have to be given the chance to dry back out again. You won't be wearing them every day to school, so the possibility of a couple rain incidents during interview season shouldn't dissuade you from owning leather soles, which are otherwise superior to rubber in nearly every way.

Yes, well that is why I said dependent on location. If you are wearing dress shoes everyday and rotating through 2 or 3 pairs depending on style needs and are in the Pacific NW where it rains basically every day late september through early may you will damage them relatively quickly.

And just to be clear, this is what I mean by rubber bottoms, but I do heed your point of leather being better. As you can see, no one would ever know there is rubber down there unless flipped over. The brand shown here is Topy.

b64b909b_Sinatra..Rubber-sole.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Yes, well that is why I said dependent on location. If you are wearing dress shoes everyday and rotating through 2 or 3 pairs depending on style needs and are in the Pacific NW where it rains basically every day late september through early may you will damage them relatively quickly.

And just to be clear, this is what I mean by rubber bottoms, but I do heed your point of leather being better. As you can see, no one would every know there is rubber down there unless flipped over. The brand shown here is Topy.

hmmm.... first i've heard of it. i guess it's not as horrible an idea as i thought, although i can't imagine you pay less for these than you do to get resoled. sometimes i learn something new on this forum. anyway, thanks for sharing 😉
 
Well read through much of the thread and LOL before reading it I had in mind a black suit, red tie and white shirt...well that won't be happening now.

Just a quick question though. I'm an Indian male...tan/light brown skin tone. Should I go navy blue, charcoal, or gray?

I was thinking dark gray/charcoal, light shirt, dark tie..black shoes?

Thanks 😀
 
linen is never appropriate for interview attire. not even in the South. i've wondered at times what i would have done if i had interviews in the south (only had one and it was chilly even for November when i was there, so no problem). the best solution is a tropical wool suit in a 7-8oz fabric, but these are expensive and difficult to come by. plus they wrinkle easily.

so, though i hate to say it, the best option here for your typical impoverished pre-med is probably a blended fabric. This isn't a bad option.

i've found green and yellow can be worn by guys with a very fair complexion. but the color can't be too saturated. an easy yellow with a navy suit can work well. but i would never wear these colors to any interview.

I mean, we always recommend people just buy a single wool suit for interviews. Pre meds aren't rich. You'll be inside the whole time, anyway. The best option overall is a spring-weight wool. Buy an overcoat for winter interviews and take the jacket off if you have to be outside in summer...

I haven't seen yellow work with white people. It's at best "meh." Tan people, sure. It's a contrast/hue thing.

Why the don't buy Armani? Anyone can respond to this 🙂

Overpriced. Doesn't matter if you're rich.

This may seem like a noob question
But for the shoes do you want shiny or dull?

Polished. (Doesn't have to be spitshined, but that won't hurt if you if your interviewer is the staunch ex-military type, which is rare at med school interviews.)
 
I mean, we always recommend people just buy a single wool suit for interviews. Pre meds aren't rich. You'll be inside the whole time, anyway. The best option overall is a spring-weight wool. Buy an overcoat for winter interviews and take the jacket off if you have to be outside in summer...

I haven't seen yellow work with white people. It's at best "meh." Tan people, sure. It's a contrast/hue thing.

i hear ya. but if i had had more hot weather interviews, i probably would have sprung for something more appropriate to the climate. that's me. i'm not made of money either, but i do view the professional dress section of my closet as a long-term investment.

but it's also true that i have always been astounded at just how breathable medium weight wool suiting fabrics really are.

Overpriced. Doesn't matter if you're rich.

not only that, but Armani always looks expensive. not quite the vibe you want to throw off at a med school interview, where you want to be projecting humility (among other things)

Polished. (Doesn't have to be spitshined, but that won't hurt if you if your interviewer is the staunch ex-military type, which is rare at med school interviews.)

just don't buy patent leather. something like the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue is perfect. the airport shoe shine will do just fine, but it's cheaper in the long run to learn to do it yourself (it's not hard!!)
 
Ok cause the budget is tight
What would be a good suit maker in the ~500 or so range

For some reason I do not think the budget is "tight" if you are willing to spend $500 on the suit alone. I feel like most students go down to Men's Wearhouse or JC Penny's and get a $200-$250 suit and then get it tailored. I probably spent $550-$600 on everything- shoes, suit, shirt, tie, belt, tailoring, etc. And I thought that was probably a little on the high side.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious. For someone that doesn't have a suit and not a lot of money, do you guys recommend buying 2 cheaper suits, or is 1 medium-priced suit good enough? I keep thinking that I will see the same people at different interviews and they'll remember me wearing the same thing lol.

On a side note, if I were to go on 5 to 10 interviews, what is wrong with buying 1 or 2 H&M suits (navy and charcoal) for $100 each (coming in at 6'2" @ 195lbs, shredded, zyzz status, fits me perfectly off the rack), I'm sure the H&M suits can get through at least 3-5 wears without falling apart

a pair of $45 dress shoes

1651204-p-DETAILED.jpg


And a $20 CK Slim fit dress shirt, $7 silk tie, and $20 belt from The Burlington Coat Factory

Total (2 suits, 1 pair of shoes, 1 shirt, 1 tie, 1 belt ) = $300.

Is there anything wrong with doing this?
 
You may see some of the same applicants at several schools while interviewing. It doesn't matter in the slightest what these people think of you. It matters what the interviewers at each school think of you, and they're only going to see you the one time. I would recommend getting one nicer suit instead of two cheaper ones. Unless you're doing something really weird to it, it ought to last through the interview season, at least.

Just curious. For someone that doesn't have a suit and not a lot of money, do you guys recommend buying 2 cheaper suits, or is 1 medium-priced suit good enough? I keep thinking that I will see the same people at different interviews and they'll remember me wearing the same thing lol.

On a side note, if I were to go on 5 to 10 interviews, what is wrong with buying 1 or 2 H&M suits (navy and charcoal) for $100 each (coming in at 6'2" @ 195lbs, shredded, zyzz status, fits me perfectly off the rack), I'm sure the H&M suits can get through at least 3-5 wears without falling apart

a pair of $45 dress shoes

1651204-p-DETAILED.jpg


And a $20 CK Slim fit dress shirt, $7 silk tie, and $20 belt from The Burlington Coat Factory

Total (2 suits, 1 pair of shoes, 1 shirt, 1 tie, 1 belt ) = $300.

Is there anything wrong with doing this?
 
For some reason I do not think the budget is "tight" if you are willing to spend $500 on the suit alone. I feel like most students go down to Men's Wearhouse or JC Penny's and get a $200-$250 suit and then get it tailored. I probably spent $550-$600 on everything- shoes, suit, shirt, tie, belt, tailoring, etc. And I thought that was probably a little on the high side.

Sorry I didn't mean like 500
I got my previous suit from high school for 200 because it was half-off and also I had a coupon. It was originally 500. Only problem is its black pinstripe 🙄
 
Do yourself a favor... get a made-to-wear suit if you can't afford bespoke tailoring.

i would recommend thickasthievesla Get a two button traditional in charcoal or navy blue and call it a day. http://thickasthieveslookbook.blogspot.com/2009/05/2-button-traditional-suit.html . Their suits start at 480 shipped within CONUS

For shoes, if you're a baller get some John Lobb oxfords. If not, i've seen some decent aldo shoes (for the price), or you can try cole haan as well. Pick a matte black or matte black/camel if you go with the navy suit

FITTED white shirt, red tie. You're good to go.

Keep it simple. The most important part of the suit/dress shirt is the fit.
 
Do yourself a favor... get a made-to-wear suit if you can't afford bespoke tailoring.

i would recommend thickasthievesla Get a two button traditional in charcoal or navy blue and call it a day. http://thickasthieveslookbook.blogspot.com/2009/05/2-button-traditional-suit.html . Their suits start at 480 shipped within CONUS

For shoes, if you're a baller get some John Lobb oxfords. If not, i've seen some decent aldo shoes (for the price), or you can try cole haan as well. Pick a matte black or matte black/camel if you go with the navy suit

FITTED white shirt, red tie. You're good to go.

Keep it simple. The most important part of the suit/dress shirt is the fit.

Matte shoes? Red tie? wut?

ThickasThieves is supposed to be pretty good. Also indochino (although I personally don't like IC's shirt collars).
 
There is no way I would get a red tie. Red ties are power ties and IMO you should come across as humble. Also stay away from stripes. Get a very plain and simple pattern- maybe small dots or squares.
 
There is no way I would get a red tie. Red ties are power ties and IMO you should come across as humble. Also stay away from stripes. Get a very plain and simple pattern- maybe small dots or squares.
What about pinstriped dress shirts? Or do you think a plain white one would be better?
 
tie color doesn't matter as long as it's "normal"... seriously. A guy in a boxxy ass suit with pleated pants, side vents, and huge break in his pants is still going to get in if he's a baller on paper.

Doctor's don't know how to dress (for the most part).
 
What about pinstriped dress shirts? Or do you think a plain white one would be better?

Honestly, I do not know about shirts and stripes. I probably would not do it unless they are super subtle. I mean, the first image here you can barely see them and I would say that is okay, but the second is maybe a little over the top - definitely nothing larger than this. I think the general rule is the thinner, the more formal/professional.

Side note, IMO both of these ties are not what you want. The first one is likely not going to match any suit you find and its a bit plain and the second has too large of a pattern. Something more towards the third image is what you want but without that much of a gloss to it. My general rule would be, if you can see a politician wearing it, put it back.

13CK020_xl.jpg


Pinstripe-Dress-Shirt.jpg


tn_images--T--G-550-Purple---jpg_w350_h350.jpg
 
My take?

13CK020_xl.jpg

This guy looks like a cheap guido. PLEASE DO NOT GET AN ARTIFICIAL TAN BEFORE YOU GO TO AN INTERVIEW.


Pinstripe-Dress-Shirt.jpg

Problems: cheap tie, cheap shirt, and cheap undershirt.

tn_images--T--G-550-Purple---jpg_w350_h350.jpg

Only proles wear purple.

--

General styling advice:
1) Wear a navy blue suit in the colder months and a seersucker suit in the warmer months that is tailored to your body type and flatters you appropriately.
2) Stick to high quality BB, RL, Aquascutum, British private label, custom tailored shirts as much as possible.
3) Avoid anything and everything synthetic; stick to clothing that is cashmere, silk, cotton, or wool and you'll never go wrong!
4) Panterella or similar-quality socks are a must. +1 for argyle and fun prints!
5) Boys wear lace-up, "dress" shoes and men wear loafers. Go to Cole Haan, Todds, or Gucci and get a few pairs that will match any outfit that you have. (Tip: you can buy several pairs in bulk for a discounted price by going to Nordstrom's online store. Saks rarely marks things down and Barney's is always hassle.)
6) Ensure you have a high-quality wool/cashmere winter coat for the colder months and a Burberry/Barbour-type trench coat for the mild months.
7) And if I happen to meet you on the interview trail in a few years and am attracted to you, please side part your hair to the left and remember to smile. 😀 😉😍

Fashion no-no's:
1) Wearing polos and chinos--no matter how colorful and cheerful you want to seem--to any kind of interview.
2) Frayed, tweed jackets over JEANS are not OK unless you're a Latin teacher at Groton who makes $60K a year or a clueless frosh from Alaska in Dport. #hugepetpeeve
3) Wearing socks that don't match the rest of your ensemble.
4) Unpolished loafers. Interviewers will judge you by the state of your shoes.
5) Boat shoes when you aren't sailing or, worse, don't sail regularly.
6) Birkenstocks of any kind when you aren't lounging in private.
 
General styling advice:
1) Wear a navy blue suit in the colder months and a seersucker suit in the warmer months that is tailored to your body type and flatters you appropriately.
2) Stick to high quality BB, RL, Aquascutum, British private label, custom tailored shirts as much as possible.
3) Avoid anything and everything synthetic; stick to clothing that is cashmere, silk, cotton, or wool and you'll never go wrong!
4) Panterella or similar-quality socks are a must. +1 for argyle and fun prints!
5) Boys wear lace-up, "dress" shoes and men wear loafers. Go to Cole Haan, Todds, or Gucci and get a few pairs that will match any outfit that you have. (Tip: you can buy several pairs in bulk for a discounted price by going to Nordstrom's online store. Saks rarely marks things down and Barney's is always hassle.)
6) Ensure you have a high-quality wool/cashmere winter coat for the colder months and a Burberry/Barbour-type trench coat for the mild months.
7) And if I happen to meet you on the interview trail in a few years and am attracted to you, please side part your hair to the left and remember to smile. 😀 😉😍


The bolded parts honestly might be some of the worst advice on this thread (the rest of the garbage is just quirky and pretentious).

Do not wear a seersucker suit to a medical school interview.

Also, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT wear loafers in this setting. This is a formal business type interview. Loafers are not appropriate in this instance, regardless of what you think.
 
Honestly, for a premed student interviewing for medical school, the bare essentials could be boiled down to:

1. Don't wear/own a black suit
2. Make sure your suit fits you properly
3. Get a decent pair of shoes.
4. Wear a white (or light blue if you can't listen to directions) cleanly pressed dress shirt
5. A nice simple tie is perfect (and red/burgundy is perfectly fine, despite what people say about "power ties")
 
tie color doesn't matter as long as it's "normal"... seriously. A guy in a boxxy ass suit with pleated pants, side vents, and huge break in his pants is still going to get in if he's a baller on paper.

Doctor's don't know how to dress (for the most part).

Yeah, your appearance is unlikely to make-or-break you unless you're right on the line in the interviewers mind to begin with, or it's really, really out there (like, he's wondering if your parents normally let you dress yourself, out there).

Doctors may not "know how to dress" for the most part, but at least most of them know when to use an apostrophe and when to just use the regular plural form of a word. We each have our own individual ways of trying not to look like an idiot.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The bolded parts honestly might be some of the worst advice on this thread (the rest of the garbage is just quirky and pretentious).

Do not wear a seersucker suit to a medical school interview.

Also, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT wear loafers in this setting. This is a formal business type interview. Loafers are not appropriate in this instance, regardless of what you think.

Agreed. This is awful advice. Dont wear seersucker. You shouldn't even own a seersucker suit unless you have 2 other staple suits in your closet first. Loafers are also not appropriate. Wear business class lace up dress shoes. Men wear both lace ups and loafers and know which kind of shoe is appropriate for the situation. Boys wear velcro.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't go with light brown; medium or dark brown is probably ok (no lighter than dark chestnut) but I just went with black punched captoes.

Thread.... revived!

What is everyone's opinion of the navy suit light brown shoe/belt combo? I love it and want to wear this to interviews but do you guys think it's a little too flashy?

http://api.ning.com/files/E9VorKPZT*rnZNZKSxi8vX76-bAgzf7E7PpWr8PQ5zU1mbOlxyo*843ZIzvxKmo5KSF0sGFXaqG Pk9S-ki4YBW1R6xbDxZlT0oft5lEJSTA_/bluesuit002.jpg

Nix the bag, of course.

EDIT: I clearly don't know how to insert an image properly. So, I just went with a hyperlink.