Men's Interview Clothing #4! (2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going with a Gucci green 5-peice suit and Prada red shoes. I'll probably go with my Louis tie, and matching Fendi cufflinks.

adcoms, am I now guaranteed an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need a full canvassed suit. Fit and appearance is far more important than the cost of your suit.

CT makes decent suits and suit supply is good too. Both yield a suit for about 400-600 bucks. Buying used is far cheaper if you know what to look for.

Regarding ties and knots.

This is the knot one should tie. Double four in hand. The tie is solid too.

Grading-Projects-double-four-in-hand-knot-tie.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Are tie clips okay? I got one thats pretty simple brushed metal I like to wear. Not trying to make a statement, just keep the tie in place/straight.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently got interviewed this cycle. Anyways, inside a navy blue suit, brown shoes, brown belt, black socks and a classic white dress shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently got interviewed this cycle. Anyways, inside a navy blue suit, brown shoes, brown belt, black socks and a classic white dress shirt.

Wear navy socks.

Consider burgundy shoes/belt, but a dark brown combo works too. Please don't do the tan/Walnut thing for an interview. Black shoes/belt is safe with navy too, for an interview.

What's the verdict on watches? As long they match my belt, shoes - it's fine? My wife got me a nice movado but I don't want interviewers to immediately judge me

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A wide, flat, loose, poorly made knot with no dimple? Woof.

Here is what I consider to be an excellent four-in-hand knot

But it really depends on your shirt. If you're wearing a button-down or point collar shirt, you gotta go with a four-in-hand. If you're wearing a spread or cutaway collar shirt, the half-windsor is the most fitting.
Came into this thread just to respond to your post, mostly to educate.

Spoo was/is my style icon, but he does NOT use a four-in-hand. My mind was blown too

Getting the four-in-hand knot right

Wear navy socks.

Consider burgundy shoes/belt, but a dark brown combo works too. Please don't do the tan/Walnut thing for an interview. Black shoes/belt is safe with navy too, for an interview.

I ended up getting accepted so I guess the outfit was okay. I think u'll be fine as long as u don't wear anything ridiculous like a red suit. Remember ur interviewing to become a podiatrist not a GQ model. I'd recommend getting a decent suit at Macy's or JCpenny. Keep it simple

Came into this thread just to respond to your post, mostly to educate.

Spoo was/is my style icon, but he does NOT use a four-in-hand. My mind was blown too

Getting the four-in-hand knot right

Heh, cool.

I've been living a lie

FIH comes off as a bit british prep/boarding school. DFIH is cool (scratch that) substantial. Might have to try the Knize. Looks pretty easy to tie and isn't as stingy as a half or full windsor.

You're either ignorant or stupid to believe that a fused suit fits and appears normal. Sure, we cannot all afford nor want to buy $2000 suits. That's stupid if you're on a budget; however, the suit I listed is better in every possible imaginable way than CT or Suit supply. It's $500 shipped. That's a steal for full canvas and super 140s. The fact that you even recommended those brands shows me it's impossible for you to be ignorant and you must be the latter.

You're adorable.

How long have you worked in healthcare again? Do you know how most physicians and adcomms dress? Most of them have no idea what super 140's even means...

What they do recognize is that someone is wearing their dad or grandfathers suit. I saw that a bit at an interview.

Truth is. You could wear a department store suit and if it fits well and you're well put together otherwise, you're going to be fine. Is it the best suit? No. Will it break the budget? Also no. I'd prefer to buy a used suit. I bought a used BBGF suit that I had altered. I still fit it and still wear it when called for.

My wardrobe looks nothing like that of my peers. That said, the number of people in this process (and the world, mind you) that can tell the difference between a suit that is fused, half canvassed, full canvassed, or had the stitching blessed by the pope himself is so minuscule that it is not the target audience.

The goal here isn't to get people to dress like spoo. It's to get people to make sure that they're put together enough to not stand out in a bad way or appear ostentatious.

So again. You're missing the point.
Fit and overall appearance > canvassing.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, what up @ridethecliche . Haven't seen you since we interviewed together and you wore that killer suit.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not chirping. What on earth are you talking about?

Ok, what should I make fun of? The fact you want to be a dentist, the fact that you're a Trump supporter, or the fact that it is the year 2017 and you are still making usernames with your date of birth in them?

Worst troll ever
1) Not a troll
2) Seriously, you are acting combative.
3) @ridethecliche and I did interview together at Kimmel in the spring of 2015 and he did wear a great suit.
4) Number 3 was not a troll, it was just sarcastic.
5) You are the one trolling on the pre-med forums as a soon-to-be dental student.

Quit fighting ladies, you're both beautiful.

Looks like we're going to have a "men's interview clothing #5" as this one will probably be closed shortly.

Quick, get your punches in. No more jabs, go for the cross and overhead right!

I don't think anyone wants to take fashion advice from someone who has a Barstool Sports logo for their avatar
Don't underestimate stoolies and their ability to dress well. If you listen to some of their podcasts (i.e. pardon my take) you'll understand.

To bring this back on topic. maga1994 made some solid contributions in his earlier post about what to wear. Sure his advice isn't going to be best for everyone, but theres no need to berate him over it.

What's wrong with wearing a tie that reflects you for you? I get that it should be formal, but dang, there's nothing wrong with wanting to not look like every other person in the room.

Yo calm down. This isn't a website for sartorialists.

Go on the trail and interview at enough places or look at enough folks walking around in interview clothes and you'll see that even SuSu is better than what most people end up paying way more for. I actually just looked through this thread and just realized that you had links in your post. I legit just saw that your post had links in it.

I have no experience with the suit you linked. Do you?

I can guarantee that like 90% of folks on here that would buy a suit wouldn't get it altered because they think whatever they get is fine. It's also hard to order something online when you don't know your size.

I understand you're trying to help, but you're not going to do so by being combative and dismissive.

No hate mang. Just melloooowwwww.

And cyrilfiggis is the man.

Can we get this thread back on track now? Apologies for my part in whatever deviation.

I now have like 3-4 pairs of AE's and a few pairs of Italian shoes (Zegna among others) collecting dust.

I do get to wear my CJ boots a fair amount. But dressing well is a bit much where I am.

I open my closet every day and see all my sport coats staring at me in disappointment. At least I get to wear a tie now during clinicals. I missed my crunchy silk knits.

I would love to get English or Italian shoes, but my foot's too small for a tapered toe. A shame really, because CJs are the ****.
You'll get some use out of the stuff eventually and when you do, people will notice you look damn good. Strands in walnut are a guaranteed compliment.

I've traded in most of my AE shoes for C&J or Aldens (and several Rancourt shell loafers), although the few AEs I still own hold a special place in my heart.

In clinic, I don't wear a tie (and usually eschew a white coat), so my clothing has a decidedly casual slant. Fortunately, I've built my shoe collection around this, and own very few balmorals.

Interestingly, out of all the various shoes and boots I own, I still tend to get the most positive comments on my classic Alden Indy 403s.

For students interviewing on a budget, I usually recommend looking for a pair of Johnston & Murphy Melton cap toe balmorals used on ebay for ~$30-50, which is what I did for residency (but I was admittedly a disaster for med school interviewing like most people). Got a black and a burgundy pair for <$100, and I was covered for my grey and my navy suits. They're corrected grain but take a great shine, have leather soles, and have a good shape to them. I have never been a fan of AE's captoes (First Ave, Park Ave) due to the 65 last being difficult for me to fit into and, more importantly, the stubby look of the captoe. They've had a few better captoe offerings (Harrison, Exchange Place) but I'd still consider looking at other makers (Carmina, C&J, Meermin, Kent Wang) for a more "permanent" captoe balmoral to be a fixture of your wardrobe.

Can this also be a men's hygiene thread?

1. Shave and groom hair and facial hair, get a haircut if you need one
2. Thread/pluck eyebrows if its too crazy but only to clean up the brows, don't overdo it
3. Use facial cleanser, exfoliate, etc.
4. Brush teeth, floss teeth, mouth wash, use whitening formula if you have stains
5. There are tools to cleanly push out blackheads and whiteheads too
6. Deoderant if you're sweaty

Can this also be a men's hygiene thread?

1. Shave and groom hair and facial hair, get a haircut if you need one
2. Thread/pluck eyebrows if its too crazy but only to clean up the brows, don't overdo it
3. Use facial cleanser, exfoliate, etc.
4. Brush teeth, floss teeth, mouth wash, use whitening formula if you have stains
5. There are tools to cleanly push out blackheads and whiteheads too
6. Deoderant if you're sweaty

7. Bruh please for the love of all that is holy wear deoderant.

Question on beard. My hair is thinning so I keep my head hair to about 1/8th of an inch. I have a decently styled beard (max at 1/4th of an inch). Would beard be okay considering I would look like a kid w/o it and and relatively balding head?

Cologne, yes or no? I was thinking it might be a bad idea in case any of my interviewers or fellow applicants are allergic? Would like a second opinion though.

FYI to my fellow interviewees:

Please make sure your suit jacket fits to your body type, matches the pants in color and style, and the pants do not appear to look like the "skinny" type of pant/jeans that is in street fashion right now.

AND AND AND please wear dress shoes and not "doc marten" type shoes like below with the laces showing because of the "skinny" pants. I wanted to grab this fellow applicant and shake some sense into him!!!

He worked so hard to get the II and really came off looking very unprofessional!
61rhf98AsnL._UY395_.jpg

Thoughts on wearing a suit without a belt? The pants fit perfectly at the waist and have belt loops.

Thoughts on wearing black oxfords with a matching black belt on a dark navy suit? Or should I go with dark brown?

Thoughts on wearing black oxfords with a matching black belt on a dark navy suit? Or should I go with dark brown?

Either should be fine. I personally like dark brown more (if you have the matching shoes and belt) because blue and black makes me think of a bruise.

What do you guys think about a dark navy colored suit with a gray or black tie? I don't have a navy colored tie :(!

Black belt/shoes are fine.
What do you guys think about a dark navy colored suit with a gray or black tie? I don't have a navy colored tie :(!
Black tie is fine if it's easily distinguished from the suit. I prefer grey with navy, though.

Wearing a navy suit with black dress shoes. Any specific colored tie I should go with?

Maroon is better.
Hi Gyngyn, thank you for your opinion! is maroon a personal preference? or what will come off more professional than gray and black? do you think gray will work better than black for a dark navy suit?

Thank you!

Hi Gyngyn, thank you for your opinion! is maroon a personal preference? or what will come off more professional than gray and black? do you think gray will work better than black for a dark navy suit?

Thank you!
A navy tie with a navy suit provides no visual contrast.
A black tie is just...not right.
Grey is not wrong, just dull.

A navy tie with a navy suit provides no visual contrast.
A black tie is just...not right.
Grey is not wrong, just dull.
I understand your view! Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions! I will try to get a maroon tie and see how the suit looks!

Thank you again!

Get one with a pin dot!

I have a charcoal suit. Wondering if I should pair this with a gold tie or burgundy tie. Also it is a lighter gray so I am still contemplating if I should wear brown shoes or black shoes.

I see what you are aiming for! I will try to shop for a maroon with spaced out pin dot, dark brownish shoe and a brown belt! with white oxford shirt

Thank you!
Not a button down collar!

Last edited by a moderator: