Men's Interview Clothing #4! (2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im surprised no ones talked about underwear? You think im joking but wearing boxer means you'll have a wedgie from walking around all day

Members don't see this ad.

A wide, flat, loose, poorly made knot with no dimple? Woof.

Here is what I consider to be an excellent four-in-hand knot

But it really depends on your shirt. If you're wearing a button-down or point collar shirt, you gotta go with a four-in-hand. If you're wearing a spread or cutaway collar shirt, the half-windsor is the most fitting.

It also depends on using the right tie. If the tie is too thin, a 4 in hand can look really sparse.

If someone showed up in a properly-tied bow tie, speaking as an applicant whose opinion is irrelevant, I'd admit him for that alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would a black suit send the wrong message? I understand black is usually for weddings and funerals, but it's the only color I got.

Edit: got my answer. Forgot about the search function.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thoughts on slightly big frames? too hipsterish/young? What about this samsung smart watch as an accessory - it doesn't look too digital.

1_25.jpg
2_25.jpg
SAMR760BK

My suit is a dark charcoal, and I was hoping to provide contrast with a lighter tie. I was planning on wearing a white or light grey shirt along with a pink tie. Are knitted and square ties too modern for the medical profession? Or am I better off choosing a less provocative color and style?

Side note question: thoughts on pocket squares and dress watches (Orient Bambino)?
u3Abu1y.png

My suit is a dark charcoal, and I was hoping to provide contrast with a lighter tie. I was planning on wearing a white or light grey shirt along with a pink tie. Are knitted and square ties too modern for the medical profession? Or am I better off choosing a less provocative color and style?

Side note question: thoughts on pocket squares and dress watches (Orient Bambino)?
u3Abu1y.png
A pink tie is not business professional.
Your white shirt will provide the contrast for a dark tie.
Pocket squares are not a deal breaker on the right person, but I'd vote against one for the interview. It runs the risk of looking "high maintenance."

Reactions: 3 users
I'm planning on this tie with my dark navy suit! Can I ask for your opinion @gyngyn ? I understood you told me dots maroon tie but couldn't find an affordable one :/

Attachments

• 3pc75920_600.jpg
    3pc75920_600.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 98
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on this tie with my dark navy suit! Can I ask for your opinion @gyngyn ? I understood you told me dots maroon tie but couldn't find an affordable one :/

wow I have a very similar tie that I might wear with my navy suit as well

Reactions: 1 user
Ill be wearing a dark navy suit with black shoes and belt. What tie color should I aim for with a white shirt? Burgundy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@gyngyn What color tie goes best with a light navy blue suit? I'll be wearing brown shoes and a brown belt.
The contrast of a tie in the maroon family is good with both navy and charcoal.
The hue should be in the same range as the suit.

Reactions: 1 users
Should we bring any sort of bag or folder along with us to the interview like a professional portfolio or briefcase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would this be appropriate? I'm already planning to tie a larger knot (probably full windsor) because my collar's spread is so wide and ensure the length goes right above my belt. I'll maybe get my suit jacket's sleeves hemmed a bit too.

For anyone curious... jacket is Banana Republic, shirt is Charles Tyrwhitt, and tie is Tie Bar.

Maybe try with a white shirt.

RoWaZMu.jpg

Opinion on these shoes to go with a charcoal suit? Too casual?

For med school interviews, I wore a bow tie with a $99 H&M suit to a top-20 school and was offered a full ride
I wore a $20 suit from Goodwill to a top-5 school and was accepted.
Chill.

Programs aren't looking for robots.

Reactions: 2 users
For med school interviews, I wore a bow tie with a $99 H&M suit to a top-20 school and was offered a full ride
I wore a $20 suit from Goodwill to a top-5 school and was accepted.
Chill.

Programs aren't looking for robots.

lol that's bold man.

I'm sure it was the bow tie and cheap suit that got him into top schools and not a probably 75++ LizzyM

Opinion on these shoes to go with a charcoal suit? Too casual?
Those are not the best. They look very casual, almost like house shoes.
What do you guys think of these suits?
I'm not really considering the 3rd one, more curious about the one with the vest and the others with the gray color.
These are fine. Personally I don't see any benefit to the vest, so I would not pick a 3-piece. I suggest not going too light with the color. Seasonally and situationally a dark suit is better, navy or charcoal.

Thank you, I figured as much. Ended up finding some nice oxfords at the Rack for a sweet deal.
Good choice, I saw your post was a little old but figured I'd buzz you back anyway.

How about the fact that the others are gray?

Not a fan, but that's personal preference.

I've been on many a interview through my career and I tend to keep it as conservative as I can. I have a navy blue BB suit that's pretty much my go-to for interviews. Charcoal is my back up.

How important is it that the sleeve on the dress shirt extends beyond the suit sleeve?

How important is it that the sleeve on the dress shirt extends beyond the suit sleeve?

Its worth the 30 dollar investment to get the sleeves tailored but at all my interviews I would say about 60% of the guys had the suit sleeves to long. Suprisingly all of the ladies had their jacket sleeves cover their shirt, but I'm not sure if that's a norm for girls.

A good trick if your shirt sleeves are almost enough length but not quite here yet is to put a rubber band (or bangle) around your forearm over your shirt. This will hold the sleeves in place so they stay longer than the suit sleeves.

You don't need a full canvassed suit. Fit and appearance is far more important than the cost of your suit.

CT makes decent suits and suit supply is good too. Both yield a suit for about 400-600 bucks. Buying used is far cheaper if you know what to look for.

Regarding ties and knots.

This is the knot one should tie. Double four in hand. The tie is solid too.

Grading-Projects-double-four-in-hand-knot-tie.jpg
For a collar like that, a full windsor should be utilized. For a more narrow collar, I would go with that knot or a half windsor. You don't want any tie on your collar showing. This is more of a casual style.

I'm 6'4" and my ties are not long enough for the narrow end to fit through the backside "loop" when I tie a half windsor. What are my options to secure the narrow end while not looking like a tool?

@gyngyn

You could tuck it into one of the spaces between two buttons of your shirt, or a tie clip...but I think tie clips are less formal than desired for an interview.

I'm 6'4" and my ties are not long enough for the narrow end to fit through the backside "loop" when I tie a half windsor. What are my options to secure the narrow end while not looking like a tool?

@gyngyn
Long ties for tall men are available- at a big & tall shop near you or online. In the meantime I think tie bars are just fine

What do you guys think about a dark navy colored suit with a gray or black tie? I don't have a navy colored tie :(!

Bring in some color man! Not neon, but something to liven up the look. Your tie is supposed to 'go with' your suit, not match it.

Would this be appropriate? I'm already planning to tie a larger knot (probably full windsor) because my collar's spread is so wide and ensure the length goes right above my belt. I'll maybe get my suit jacket's sleeves hemmed a bit too.

For anyone curious... jacket is Banana Republic, shirt is Charles Tyrwhitt, and tie is Tie Bar.

That tie is NOT working with the suit and shirt. The suit and shirt are both 'muted' hues and that tie is bright blue. A dark wine or rich green tie would work much better, possibly something in the yellow family. Also consider a dark paisley.

What suit/shirt/tie/shoe color combo would be recommended for a person of East Indian heritage (i.e. brown skin)?

Navy or charcoal suit, just like everyone else. For your shirt, see whether white, creme, or one of the various hues of light blue are better with your skin tones and work from there. Also be sure to wear an undershirt (crew neck, not V) if you're darker-skinned as many light-colored shirts can be sorta see-through and an undershirt makes them look much crisper.

I would honestly tuck the short end into my shirt or just let it roam free before I wear a tie clip.

And as for the suit/shirt sleeves question, cmon you're a big boy. Get clothes that fit or spend a little to get them tailored so they do.

I think White men look nice in grey suits. ^.^ I think every person regardless of race has a style and color scheme that suits them best. For example one white guy might have brown instead of pink undertones that would look dull if he wore a certain color.

The four-in-hand looks like something you hastily tied together with one hand while driving to an interview. A half-windsor looks like a full windsor that had a stroke and slouches to one side.

I prefer symmetry in my knots. But that's just me. I realize the modern preference is the lopsided, small knot.

I also don't mind no-dimple knots. I like something like this.

tie-no-dimple.jpeg
I agree. Yours is the only one that looks normal. I didn't realize so much went into tying a tie!