-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Men's Interview Clothing #4! (2017)
Started by JoJustGotHisScores
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted804295
Or if they're sexy.Only with a fedora and a neckbeard
Is it appropriate to wear designer loafers to the interview? Having an obvious LV symbol on my shoes makes me think it might be too much. I just feel most comfortable in these shoes
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it appropriate to wear designer loafers to the interview? Having an obvious LV symbol on my shoes makes me think it might be too much. I just feel most comfortable in these shoes
Loafers are a 'no'. Loafers with some big symbol on them are a 'Michael Scott no'
Is it appropriate to wear designer loafers to the interview? Having an obvious LV symbol on my shoes makes me think it might be too much. I just feel most comfortable in these shoes
If something like this? Because these are obnoxious.
It may be out of a college student's budget, but a pair of Allen Edmonds are legit and will last ten years if you take care of them.
Exchange Place Cap-toe Dress Shoe by Allen Edmonds.
Last edited:
View attachment 225290
If something like this? Because these are obnoxious.
It may be out of a college student's budget, but a pair of Allen Edmonds are legit and will last ten years if you take care of them.
Exchange Place Cap-toe Dress Shoe by Allen Edmonds.
Gauche AF. Nothing says nouveau riche like a giant logo.
Hey guys I've been searching interview outfit ideas and found this video. Just an idea and some tips.
I'm 6'4" and my ties are not long enough for the narrow end to fit through the backside "loop" when I tie a half windsor. What are my options to secure the narrow end while not looking like a tool?
@gyngyn
Tall guy here.
Get extra long ties.
Cheap work around is a hidden safety pin.
[emoji106]
--
Il Destriero
Full suit.What is the consensus on wearing sport coats like Navy Blue with different color pants like charcoal gray, black? Is that too taboo, and should only full suits be worn? @gyngyn and anyone else I would appreciate your insight!
Please don't. I am assuming you're talking about wearing a blazer with different colored chinos, which is too casual.What is the consensus on wearing sport coats like Navy Blue with different color pants like charcoal gray, black? Is that too taboo, and should only full suits be worn? @gyngyn and anyone else I would appreciate your insight!
This doesn't look too casual. However, I am not a fan of the yellow tie myself. With navy I prefer a burgundy tie.How do you guys feel about a navy suit, white shirt and gold/yellow tie? I think brown shoes and belt would look best, but I've heard that looks too casual? Attached is best picture i could find
![]()
No, I was talking about a blazer with different colored slacks. That's not casual from my understanding?Please don't. I am assuming you're talking about wearing a blazer with different colored chinos, which is too casual.
No, I was talking about a blazer with different colored slacks. That's not casual from my understanding?
Yes it is.
--
Il Destriero
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ah gotcha. While I like this style personally, it's too casual IMO.No, I was talking about a blazer with different colored slacks. That's not casual from my understanding?
This thread gave me anxiety, as I only own a black suit.
This is due to not wanting to devote the finances to owning more than one suit, and black works for funerals.
I say "gave" me anxiety, because I've already gotten 4 IIs and an acceptance, so obviously they care more about my application than my duds. Just to belay any fears people have of this topic....
This is due to not wanting to devote the finances to owning more than one suit, and black works for funerals.
I say "gave" me anxiety, because I've already gotten 4 IIs and an acceptance, so obviously they care more about my application than my duds. Just to belay any fears people have of this topic....
No, I was talking about a blazer with different colored slacks. That's not casual from my understanding?
Yes it is.
--
Il Destriero
^
I find tie tacks and tie bars to be unappealing. Frankly the short end of your tie tends to stay underneath the wide end without any help.
When I see a tie tack or tie bar, it makes me think the person is unaccustomed to wearing a tie, and kind of went overboard. And they're not really worn in formal settings, legal or corporate culture.
When I see a tie tack or tie bar, it makes me think the person is unaccustomed to wearing a tie, and kind of went overboard. And they're not really worn in formal settings, legal or corporate culture.
View attachment 225897 Went with this for every interview so far. With once accept so far I think it worked out.
Sleeves on the jacket are too long. You'll never get in 😉
No, I was talking about a blazer with different colored slacks. That's not casual from my understanding?
Yeah don't do that.
what tie color is better with a dark navy suit and white shirt? I thought about wearing either a plum/dark purple color or a scarlet colored red one...not sure which I don't want it to be too bright to stand out but not like a bland one either. The purple is darker than the purple in my profile pic. The both have designs on them too and aren't just plain, one is brooks brothers other is hugo boss so not crappy looking haha
Yes it is.
--
Il Destriero
Ah gotcha. While I like this style personally, it's too casual IMO.
Yeah don't do that.
Thank you for the feedback everyone!
As I mentioned above, I prefer a burgundy.what tie color is better with a dark navy suit and white shirt? I thought about wearing either a plum/dark purple color or a scarlet colored red one...not sure which I don't want it to be too bright to stand out but not like a bland one either. The purple is darker than the purple in my profile pic. The both have designs on them too and aren't just plain, one is brooks brothers other is hugo boss so not crappy looking haha
Reviving this thread for new cycle...
I'm going suit shopping soon since I don't own any that fit (last time I wore a suit was 8 years ago). Any recommendations for affordable brands that still look decent? Also looking for some shoes, preferrably brown in color, since I'll be going for a blue or gray suit.
I'm going suit shopping soon since I don't own any that fit (last time I wore a suit was 8 years ago). Any recommendations for affordable brands that still look decent? Also looking for some shoes, preferrably brown in color, since I'll be going for a blue or gray suit.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Reviving this thread for new cycle...
I'm going suit shopping soon since I don't own any that fit (last time I wore a suit was 8 years ago). Any recommendations for affordable brands that still look decent? Also looking for some shoes, preferrably brown in color, since I'll be going for a blue or gray suit.
Hit up a Men’s Wearhouse sale! The brands fluctuate in price unless you’re talking about a real tailored suit, but I spent less than $200.
And to update my previous post: I got 5 acceptances, and mostly wore a Black suit, white shirt and RED tie. So yeah, the Thermometer look didn’t hold me back as I was worried it would. 😉
Hit up a Men’s Wearhouse sale! The brands fluctuate in price unless you’re talking about a real tailored suit, but I spent less than $200.
And to update my previous post: I got 5 acceptances, and mostly wore a Black suit, white shirt and RED tie. So yeah, the Thermometer look didn’t hold me back as I was worried it would. 😉
Congrats on the acceptances! I'm trying to spend less than 200 as well so I'll make sure to check them out. I have a gift card I was hoping to use for JCPenney but if men's Warehouse has better deals I'll save the gift card for later. I'll have to check them both out.
Congrats on the acceptances! I'm trying to spend less than 200 as well so I'll make sure to check them out. I have a gift card I was hoping to use for JCPenney but if men's Warehouse has better deals I'll save the gift card for later. I'll have to check them both out.
I couldn’t find anything in my price range at Penny’s, and I also couldn’t find an associate to help me to ask of there was anything beyond the stated prices I should know about!
If you live in a metro area it’s also not a bad idea to hit up a goodwill just to see. They won’t fit you, but if stuff is just too long it can be tailored reasonably cheaply. I didn’t find a suit, but I got an overcoat and leather gloves to go OVER my suit in the snow for $5! An overcoat would normally be hundreds, not to mention the gloves...
I couldn’t find anything in my price range at Penny’s, and I also couldn’t find an associate to help me to ask of there was anything beyond the stated prices I should know about!
If you live in a metro area it’s also not a bad idea to hit up a goodwill just to see. They won’t fit you, but if stuff is just too long it can be tailored reasonably cheaply. I didn’t find a suit, but I got an overcoat and leather gloves to go OVER my suit in the snow for $5! An overcoat would normally be hundreds, not to mention the gloves...
I couldn’t find anything in my price range at Penny’s, and I also couldn’t find an associate to help me to ask of there was anything beyond the stated prices I should know about!
If you live in a metro area it’s also not a bad idea to hit up a goodwill just to see. They won’t fit you, but if stuff is just too long it can be tailored reasonably cheaply. I didn’t find a suit, but I got an overcoat and leather gloves to go OVER my suit in the snow for $5! An overcoat would normally be hundreds, not to mention the gloves...
Ended up finding a nice suit for 150 (for the jacket and pants) at JCPenney which conveniently was the amount on my gift card so I just had to pay for the shoes, shirt, and tie. Unfortunately I accidentally bought a $50 tie so I'll be going back to return that tomorrow 😕. After I fix that mistake I'll be within about 250 for everything which is good since I'm really only spending 100.
Ugh I just hate that I was too embarrassed to say anything after she rang the tie up or else I could've saved myself a trip tomorrow.
Ended up finding a nice suit for 150 (for the jacket and pants) at JCPenney which conveniently was the amount on my gift card so I just had to pay for the shoes, shirt, and tie. Unfortunately I accidentally bought a $50 tie so I'll be going back to return that tomorrow 😕. After I fix that mistake I'll be within about 250 for everything which is good since I'm really only spending 100.
Ugh I just hate that I was too embarrassed to say anything after she rang the tie up or else I could've saved myself a trip tomorrow.
I would have been like, “Holy **** is it threaded with gold?”
Reviving this thread for new cycle...
I'm going suit shopping soon since I don't own any that fit (last time I wore a suit was 8 years ago). Any recommendations for affordable brands that still look decent? Also looking for some shoes, preferrably brown in color, since I'll be going for a blue or gray suit.
My two cents, avoid the light grey or lighter shades of blue with brown shoes as I think this is a more business casual look. My general rule of thumb for a business professional suit is a navy blue or charcoal grey with black shoes. Use a tie and your socks to show a little bit of your personality...one can never go wrong with maroon.
A $50 tie at JC Penney? THEY should be the ones who are embarrassed...
Try Steinmart for ties
Lol they had a bunch of $12 ties and this one was mixed in with them and I really liked it then realized at check out that it was not the same price as the rest.
I would have been like, “Holy **** is it threaded with gold?”
it was a very nice tie but I'd never knowingly pay that much for one lol. It'll be going back and replaced with a cheaper $10 tie
You can find great ties at local thrift stores too. I got my favorite one from a thrift while on vacation once.A $50 tie at JC Penney? THEY should be the ones who are embarrassed...
Try Steinmart for ties
South florida guy here interviewing in new england in january. what kind of outerwear is recommended for a full day of tours and stuff? Wearing a navy suit with brown shoes and belt.
Bumping this for the upcoming cycle 

9
907914
Looking at buying a suit here next week to get my head shots/fitting/etc. out of the way. Is there any stigma against cheaper suits? Like, if I pay a couple hundred bucks for a suit at Nordstrom Rack or some such will anyone care so long as it is fitted?
D
deleted804295
Nordstrom is cheap?Looking at buying a suit here next week to get my head shots/fitting/etc. out of the way. Is there any stigma against cheaper suits? Like, if I pay a couple hundred bucks for a suit at Nordstrom Rack or some such will anyone care so long as it is fitted?
9
907914
Cheaper than an actual suit store, better service and quality than Macy's.Nordstrom is cheap?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
9
907914
Also, the Macy's in my town just recently went through closure and is now being turned in to fancy down-town highrise apartments. So, there's that lolNordstrom is cheap?
A business suit that fits well doesn't have to be expensive. Rack is fine.Looking at buying a suit here next week to get my head shots/fitting/etc. out of the way. Is there any stigma against cheaper suits? Like, if I pay a couple hundred bucks for a suit at Nordstrom Rack or some such will anyone care so long as it is fitted?
If you know your suit size, Topman.com offers really great fitting suits at around $200.Looking at buying a suit here next week to get my head shots/fitting/etc. out of the way. Is there any stigma against cheaper suits? Like, if I pay a couple hundred bucks for a suit at Nordstrom Rack or some such will anyone care so long as it is fitted?
Nope! The most important part is that you get it tailored.Looking at buying a suit here next week to get my head shots/fitting/etc. out of the way. Is there any stigma against cheaper suits? Like, if I pay a couple hundred bucks for a suit at Nordstrom Rack or some such will anyone care so long as it is fitted?
Nordstrom is cheap?
Nordstrom, no. Nordstrom rack, yes. I have to constantly remind my wife that we no longer have an income of $70k and the Rack will have to do for the next 10 years...