Mental health and application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VIZ1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As some of you may recognize, I'm the one that's on the third application cycle with only waitlists. Going through this entire process for the third time with the possibility of never succeeding even at this point has really taken a toll on my mental health. I've started getting therapy and antidepressants because of these circumstances. The past couple of months, I've been been waking up in the middle of the night and unable to fall asleep again just thinking about this entire situation. How this cycle can make someone go through so much and not even provide them with definitive answers as to why they have been failing really takes a toll on me. Has anyone else found themselves in similar distress?

I know many of you may say that it isn't the end of the world but everybody has their own value on life/career goals and I've placed a lot of value in this. Many of you may suggest a reapplication but each application is becoming increasingly difficult for many personal circumstances including having to rewrite the new MCAT (I wrote the old one) and the cost. I spent around $5000 on application/interview related expenses this cycle and I come from a mid-level income family.

Edit: I've finally received an acceptance as of mid-May. I'm deeply thankful and grateful for this opportunity as well as the support I have received on this forum. I hope I can be an example to all of those that have been facing difficulty with the admissions process and will do my best to help future applicants and reapplicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
First of all, that really sucks. I'm sorry you're going through this. It's excellent that you are taking steps to take care of your mental health, that's very commendable. I will also say that yes, this cycle made my anxiety much worse, to the extent that I was a complete mess for about a month. However, I was incredibly lucky to get two acceptances, so what I am/was feeling is nothing compared to what you must be going through as a third time re-applicant.

As for logistics: how many WLs are you on, and do you know if they're high-yield? If you're on 5 or more and at least a few regularly pull much of their class off the WL, then you probably have a solid shot after May 1, when everyone has to pick one school and spots start opening up. Are any of your WLs ranked? Finding out where you stand among hundreds of applicants in limbo could be helpful for your mental status. Have you sent letter(s) of intent? They really can't hurt, and could help immensely. Outlining why the school is a great fit for you, what you have been doing this past year since applying, etc. could get your app revisited and bumped up.

Contrary to your final assumption, I would think long and hard, and discuss it with your therapist/close family, SO, etc. before reapplying a fourth time. Like you said, the application cycle takes a huge toll on mental health, for everyone (to a certain extent). For you, on your third application cycle, possibly fourth, that would be much worse. You have to think about both the practical and emotional benefits and drawbacks to continuing to apply. How long can you afford (monetarily and emotionally) to put your life on hold in order to get into medical school? Is it worth the emotional turmoil to get into medical school, only to be faced with a further gauntlet of emotional hurdles? The application process is only the beginning, not the end. Can you see yourself being happy doing something else? For this, it could be helpful to talk to your therapist. After spending so long trying to get into medical school, it's understandable for a lot of your life meaning and self-worth to be tied up in becoming a physician. Your therapist can help you separate the two, and can give you strategies for building an identity outside premed/medical school applicant. It could prove therapeutic to send out resumes to other jobs that you are qualified for, or to go another path to become qualified. This could even be a silver lining, a new start, a chance to pursue something you left behind to do medicine. I know that personally, if I'd gone through three cycles with no luck, I'd look into going back to school for music or writing, two passions that have needed to take a back seat to medicine for me. If you have something like this, go for it!

If you want to re-apply again: maybe take another gap year (if this is practical and feasible, it may not be). Reset your mental health to somewhere brighter. Get more experience (while dipping your toes into the water for other options!) Retake classes/MCAT if you need to. Recuperate and relax, you've been through hell three times. When it comes time to apply (and I'me sure you've heard this advice a million times before), submit early (first day!) apply broadly, apply DO (did you do this this cycle?) as well as MD, and do everything you can do to make all aspects of your application top notch.

Whatever you do take care of yourself and surround yourself with people who support and care about you. You are worthwhile and you matter, whether or not you ultimately become a physician. Repeat that to yourself. You matter, no matter what your career. And if you need to talk, you can PM me. I'll be here.

Reactions: 8 users
As some of you may recognize, I'm the one that's on the third application cycle with only waitlists. Going through this entire process for the third time with the possibility of never succeeding even at this point has really taken a toll on my mental health. I've started getting therapy and antidepressants because of these circumstances. The past couple of months, I've been been waking up in the middle of the night and unable to fall asleep again just thinking about this entire situation. How this cycle can make someone go through so much and not even provide them with definitive answers as to why they have been failing really takes a toll on me. Has anyone else found themselves in similar distress?

I know many of you may say that it isn't the end of the world but everybody has their own value on life/career goals and I've placed a lot of value in this. Many of you may suggest a reapplication but each application is becoming increasingly difficult for many personal circumstances including having to rewrite the new MCAT (I wrote the old one) and the cost. I spent around $5000 on application/interview related expenses this cycle and I come from a mid-level income family.

I'm really sorry to hear about the toll the cycle's taken on your mental health. It's definitely a long, drawn-out, stressful, and expensive process. Hopefully you'll be accepted off of one of the waitlists some time soon!

If you don't end up getting in this cycle, I agree with @PB&Jam. Take at least a year off to get yourself back in good working condition, spend some time having fun, and think seriously about whether you think it's worthwhile to apply again. In the meantime, pursue other interests and hobbies and explore other fields you might be thinking about as a Plan B.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, that really sucks. I'm sorry you're going through this. It's excellent that you are taking steps to take care of your mental health, that's very commendable. I will also say that yes, this cycle made my anxiety much worse, to the extent that I was a complete mess for about a month. However, I was incredibly lucky to get two acceptances, so what I am/was feeling is nothing compared to what you must be going through as a third time re-applicant.

As for logistics: how many WLs are you on, and do you know if they're high-yield? If you're on 5 or more and at least a few regularly pull much of their class off the WL, then you probably have a solid shot after May 1, when everyone has to pick one school and spots start opening up. Are any of your WLs ranked? Finding out where you stand among hundreds of applicants in limbo could be helpful for your mental status. Have you sent letter(s) of intent? They really can't hurt, and could help immensely. Outlining why the school is a great fit for you, what you have been doing this past year since applying, etc. could get your app revisited and bumped up.

Contrary to your final assumption, I would think long and hard, and discuss it with your therapist/close family, SO, etc. before reapplying a fourth time. Like you said, the application cycle takes a huge toll on mental health, for everyone (to a certain extent). For you, on your third application cycle, possibly fourth, that would be much worse. You have to think about both the practical and emotional benefits and drawbacks to continuing to apply. How long can you afford (monetarily and emotionally) to put your life on hold in order to get into medical school? Is it worth the emotional turmoil to get into medical school, only to be faced with a further gauntlet of emotional hurdles? The application process is only the beginning, not the end. Can you see yourself being happy doing something else? For this, it could be helpful to talk to your therapist. After spending so long trying to get into medical school, it's understandable for a lot of your life meaning and self-worth to be tied up in becoming a physician. Your therapist can help you separate the two, and can give you strategies for building an identity outside premed/medical school applicant. It could prove therapeutic to send out resumes to other jobs that you are qualified for, or to go another path to become qualified. This could even be a silver lining, a new start, a chance to pursue something you left behind to do medicine. I know that personally, if I'd gone through three cycles with no luck, I'd look into going back to school for music or writing, two passions that have needed to take a back seat to medicine for me. If you have something like this, go for it!

If you want to re-apply again: maybe take another gap year (if this is practical and feasible, it may not be). Reset your mental health to somewhere brighter. Get more experience (while dipping your toes into the water for other options!) Retake classes/MCAT if you need to. Recuperate and relax, you've been through hell three times. When it comes time to apply (and I'me sure you've heard this advice a million times before), submit early (first day!) apply broadly, apply DO (did you do this this cycle?) as well as MD, and do everything you can do to make all aspects of your application top notch.

Whatever you do take care of yourself and surround yourself with people who support and care about you. You are worthwhile and you matter, whether or not you ultimately become a physician. Repeat that to yourself. You matter, no matter what your career. And if you need to talk, you can PM me. I'll be here.

Thanks for the meaningful reply. I'm on 6 waitlists. Some are high yield and some aren't. I've sent LOIs and I suppose there still is a chance.
I've considered applying DO but not even mid tier MD schools are interviewing me. I made another thread about this but it was interpretted as a humble brag lol.
I've brought this up with my therapists but it hasn't been much help. I've really tried to convince myself that I didn't want to be a physician but I just can't. My friends and family have been telling me that not everyone enjoys what they do in life and I'm considering just accepting that fate. I feel as if this feeling will just follow me for the rest of my life.

Thanks for the kind words and advice, I'll take that all into consideration.

Thanks for the meaningful reply. I'm on 6 waitlists. Some are high yield and some aren't. I've sent LOIs and I suppose there still is a chance.
I've considered applying DO but not even mid tier MD schools are interviewing me. I made another thread about this but it was interpretted as a humble brag lol.
I've brought this up with my therapists but it hasn't been much help. I've really tried to convince myself that I didn't want to be a physician but I just can't. My friends and family have been telling me that not everyone enjoys what they do in life and I'm considering just accepting that fate. I feel as if this feeling will just follow me for the rest of my life.

I think the reason people interpreted it as a humble-brag was that your OP didn't explicitly state that you haven't been accepted or that you're a re-applicant, only that you got 7 IIs this cycle. Which, as others on that thread pointed out, suggests that something is likely going wrong in the interviews. 6 wait lists gives you a pretty decent chance of matriculation, though, so hopefully things'll work out this summer.

If you do reapply, DO schools don't do yield protection like mid-tier MD schools (as per @Goro), so you may actually have some luck there. Did your state MD school (if you have one) interview you?

I have no advice, just crossing my fingers and sending you good vibes. :)

I think the reason people interpreted it as a humble-brag was that your OP didn't explicitly state that you haven't been accepted or that you're a re-applicant, only that you got 7 IIs this cycle. Which, as others on that thread pointed out, suggests that something is likely going wrong in the interviews. 6 wait lists gives you a pretty decent chance of matriculation, though, so hopefully things'll work out this summer.

If you do reapply, DO schools don't do yield protection like mid-tier MD schools (as per @Goro), so you may actually have some luck there. Did your state MD school (if you have one) interview you?
That's a good point, I didn't explicitly state that. Alright I'll consider DO. I don't have a state MD school unfortunately :/

I want to tackle a few things in your response. First, MD>DO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nothing (don't even consider Caribbean). DOs are physicians no matter which way you slice it, so if you can't see yourself doing something else, do yourself a favor and apply DO.

Second, the point of talking about this with a therapist isn't to convince yourself that you don't want to be a physician or never did. That's ludicrous. Of course you wanted (and still want) to fulfill that dream, however, at a certain point the mental, emotional, and monetary costs start to outweigh the benefit. Don't try to lie to yourself and convince yourself you never wanted this. Accept that you wanted it, and still want it, bad. Bad enough to apply 3 times and consider a fourth. But you also need to accept that maybe there's another path for you out there. If you decide not to reapply, you will grieve the loss of this dream. You will go through the stages of grief, strange as that may seem. But--and this is the important part--you will find new dreams and goals to pursue. You might not think so. Right now, you're in the trenches of medical applications. You haven't thought of anything else, so you can't envision yourself anywhere else but medicine. But once you grieve and get your distance, new aspirations and goals will start manifesting themselves. You'll find joy and meaning in doing other things. They may be small at first, but they will grow. Exploring other talents and interests may lead you to foster a budding interest in a different field. You could find great personal fulfillment in another medically related profession. Who knows? And you don't have to know right now. But you do have to know that whatever decision you make will be the right one for you.

Finally, your family isn't being helpful. Just because you don't do medicine doesn't mean you'll be miserable doing whatever you do end up doing, or that you have to settle for something that will make you miserable. People find personal fulfillment in their jobs all the time, and most of them aren't doctors. You will, too. In time.

Reactions: 4 users

I was literally so bummed when I saw people interpret it that way...Just because I had seen you on enough school threads etc to know that you were a struggling reapplicant. I just wanted to say that I have had fingers crossed for you since I first read about your reapplicant and waitlist situation a few months ago. Also I know people have said you must have interview problems but just a note of encouragement if you were really so bad they would have just rejected you. I think it's a good sign you are on the wait lists.

I am so hopeful for you. Continue to take care of yourself. Best wishes.

Reactions: 2 users
So did you apply DO the third time or did you still not learn your lesson? Might want to consider going this route if you want to be a physician more than you care about the letters after your name.

Your attitude that mid level schools offering you interviews indicating some sort of acceptance on the horizon isn't panning out. Hopefully you'll get in this cycle and it'll all be a bad dream, but if you're preparing to reapply, you need to apply DO's if you don't want to be stuck in limbo forever. 3 failed cycles is not good.

Have you had your school list looked over on here or elsewhere? Have you done a few mock interviews? Has someone read your application and helped edit/critique it?

Take care of yourself because this is a pretty crummy time. Waiting is hard enough. Keep the things above in mind should you choose to reapply. And you should reapply. And this time you should add DO.

First, best of luck! We are all rooting for you big time! Second, sorry for what's going to be a long post.

My first piece of advice for you is to "bet" against yourself. Find something that excites you to do next year, that you couldn't do if you were in med school, in the event that you aren't accepted off one of those waitlists. It might be taking a trip, getting a puppy, or really indulging in a hobby. I had a backup plan tentatively arranged to work on a wildlife preserve in a tropical place. Whatever it is, spend a long time planning it so that you're super pumped about it. If after that, you get off the waitlist, yay! All you've done is waste some time. If not, yay! You have a great way to spend the next year that won't destroy your soul. Focus on that. (Some people using this strategy find it helps to actually sink some money into whatever the plan is to psychologically even out the options even more, but that's a matter of personal preference).

Longer term, if you don't get in this cycle, find yourself a job that pays well enough that you can save some money, and more importantly a job that you won't hate. It should probably be something totally unrelated to medicine, but that's up to you. Plan to spend a few years at this job, and set a firm timeframe during which you wouldn't even consider reapplying. You should do some volunteering (both clinical and nonclinical) during this time, but it doesn't have to be a huge time commitment. A few hours a month should be plenty. Otherwise, enjoy your free time! After a few years, you might find that this other less stressful job is totally fulfilling, and never look back at medicine. If you find yourself still drawn to med school, now you'll have money saved for the applications, some new experiences to add to your file, temporal distance from the previous cycles, and some additional maturity which might help with essays/interviews.

Either way, good luck! I have every finger and toe crossed for you!

Reactions: 2 users
First, best of luck! We are all rooting for you big time! Second, sorry for what's going to be a long post.

My first piece of advice for you is to "bet" against yourself. Find something that excites you to do next year, that you couldn't do if you were in med school, in the event that you aren't accepted off one of those waitlists. It might be taking a trip, getting a puppy, or really indulging in a hobby. I had a backup plan tentatively arranged to work on a wildlife preserve in a tropical place. Whatever it is, spend a long time planning it so that you're super pumped about it. If after that, you get off the waitlist, yay! All you've done is waste some time. If not, yay! You have a great way to spend the next year that won't destroy your soul. Focus on that. (Some people using this strategy find it helps to actually sink some money into whatever the plan is to psychologically even out the options even more, but that's a matter of personal preference).

Longer term, if you don't get in this cycle, find yourself a job that pays well enough that you can save some money, and more importantly a job that you won't hate. It should probably be something totally unrelated to medicine, but that's up to you. Plan to spend a few years at this job, and set a firm timeframe during which you wouldn't even consider reapplying. You should do some volunteering (both clinical and nonclinical) during this time, but it doesn't have to be a huge time commitment. A few hours a month should be plenty. Otherwise, enjoy your free time! After a few years, you might find that this other less stressful job is totally fulfilling, and never look back at medicine. If you find yourself still drawn to med school, now you'll have money saved for the applications, some new experiences to add to your file, temporal distance from the previous cycles, and some additional maturity which might help with essays/interviews.

Either way, good luck! I have every finger and toe crossed for you!
Thanks
You're right
It's always good to prepare for the worst

So did you apply DO the third time or did you still not learn your lesson? Might want to consider going this route if you want to be a physician more than you care about the letters after your name.

Your attitude that mid level schools offering you interviews indicating some sort of acceptance on the horizon isn't panning out. Hopefully you'll get in this cycle and it'll all be a bad dream, but if you're preparing to reapply, you need to apply DO's if you don't want to be stuck in limbo forever. 3 failed cycles is not good.

Have you had your school list looked over on here or elsewhere? Have you done a few mock interviews? Has someone read your application and helped edit/critique it?

Take care of yourself because this is a pretty crummy time. Waiting is hard enough. Keep the things above in mind should you choose to reapply. And you should reapply. And this time you should add DO.
I'll definitely consider DO. I thought applying to mid-tier and low-tier schools was good enough but now I'm seeing that there's yield protection there. I didn't know that DO schools don't do yield protection so I could definitely apply there.
I haven't had my school list looked over but I've done the mock interviews and had people look over my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread broke my heart and made me cry inside. I really wish I could give you a hug.

You are so incredibly strong to be able to do this 3 times. I really hope you have luck from your 6 WL's. Please update this thread if you are successful as I am now emotionally invested in your success as a random person on the internet. I wish you the absolute best of luck and am sending you lots of pixelated love.

Reactions: 11 users
why would you not apply to DO schools?? Three times???

You're on 6 WL's so barring your having interviewed terribly, that bodes well. Do any of the schools have ranked waitlists? Do any of them accept updates?

I'm not sure if this is advisable but maybe you could speak to an admissions dean at one of the institutions?

I'm really confused as to how someone with good enough stats to get invites from top-tiers has been through 3 cycles unsuccessfully.

out of 6 WLs I would be very surprised if you were not accepted to at least 1.

That being said, can you elaborate on your situation?

When did you first apply? What were your stats? Any red flags on your app?? What was your list like? Why haven't you considered DO (yield protection won't matter, DO standards are rising every year).

Basically, how did you get to this point?

What in the world is yield protection

What in the world is yield protection

Some mid to low-ranked private MD schools often won't offer interview invites to candidates with high stats because their data shows that such students are unlikely to attend if accepted.

Oh damn I just don't understand how someone who is such a good student needs to apply three times

This thread broke my heart and made me cry inside. I really wish I could give you a hug.

You are so incredibly strong to be able to do this 3 times. I really hope you have luck from your 6 WL's. Please update this thread if you are successful as I am now emotionally invested in your success as a random person on the internet. I wish you the absolute best of luck and am sending you lots of pixelated love.
Thanks! Your support is very heartwarming. I'll definitely update this thread if I get an acceptance.

You're on 6 WL's so barring your having interviewed terribly, that bodes well. Do any of the schools have ranked waitlists? Do any of them accept updates?

I'm not sure if this is advisable but maybe you could speak to an admissions dean at one of the institutions?
I've spoken to the admissions deans at schools in my previous cycle but they never told me much other than the fact that there were too many competitive applicants. I've been sending LOIs and updates but I may ask about my rank sometime.

I'm really confused as to how someone with good enough stats to get invites from top-tiers has been through 3 cycles unsuccessfully.

out of 6 WLs I would be very surprised if you were not accepted to at least 1.

That being said, can you elaborate on your situation?

When did you first apply? What were your stats? Any red flags on your app?? What was your list like? Why haven't you considered DO (yield protection won't matter, DO standards are rising every year).

Basically, how did you get to this point?

Thanks. I'm thinking about making another thread to describe my situation in more detail as well as a compilation of my previous posts. GPA is ~3.9 and MCAT is 38. I don't imagine that there are red flags since I'm getting interviews. My list was a spread amongst high tier and mid tier schools. I didn't apply to DO because I didn't know that they had no yield protection unlike mid tiers MDs.

Oh damn I just don't understand how someone who is such a good student needs to apply three times

Thanks. I'm astounded too. My best guess is my interview skills were not as great in my first two cycles. I've also matured a lot as each cycle went by.

I am posting since I have received an acceptance as promised.
A few weeks ago, I received an offer from Yale. I am very surprised and excited myself. I apologize for not posting earlier because I was held up with lots of administrative work.
After so many application cycles and waitlists, an admission to medical school appeared to be only a dream. But I believe this can be an example to all of those that have been waitlisted that there is really hope, in future cycles if not this one.

I'm very thankful for all the support that I have received on this forum and will do my best to support applicants in the future.

Reactions: 24 users
Congrats on your acceptance!!!

A few weeks ago, I received an offer from Yale. I am very surprised and excited myself. I apologize for not posting earlier because I was held up with lots of administrative work.
After so many application cycles and waitlists, an admission to medical school appeared to be only a dream. But I believe this can be an example to all of those that have been waitlisted that there is really hope, in future cycles if not this one.

I'm very thankful for all the support that I have received on this forum and will do my best to support applicants in the future.
CONGRATS!! You earned this and me and a bunch of other people were rooting for you. You got into an amazing school too which makes it even more sweeter. Good luck in med school and during the rest of your career! :)

Edit: I've finally received an acceptance as of mid-May. I'm deeply thankful and grateful for this opportunity as well as the support I have received on this forum. I hope I can be an example to all of those that have been facing difficulty with the admissions process and will do my best to help future applicants and reapplicants.
Number one I like the avatar. Naruto was my jam back in junior high. Number 2, take care of yourself and stick with the therapy and meds, sometimes it takes a few tries to find the right meds/therapist that grooves with you. Something that's helped me personally is mindfullness meditation because it has taught me to self regulate my thoughts and drive attention away from my negative/irrealistic ones. Thirdly you shoud feel proud of yourself for the acceptance! No need to be hard on yourself at all.

Self-care is an important skill. ;)

Thanks a lot everyone! I'll keep all that in mind!

Thanks a lot everyone! I'll keep all that in mind!
How did you manage a 3.9 GPA? I am a skilled test taker for some reason (I don't know why) but suck at maintaining a very high GPA. 3.5 for me is high.

Im so happy for this guy!

Reactions: 1 users
3.9, 38MCAT and it took you THREE cycles?? ****, given my college app experience and my probably poor interview skills I'm really scared this is going to be me

Granted you did get into Yale so the end result isn't bad, congrats. Did you reapp 3 times to Yale?

This makes me so happy. I hope you find a sense of fulfillment and success in med school! All the hard work (and cash!) you put in these last three cycles are going to pay off

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

WOWWW!!! CONGRATS BROTHER!

Thanks everybody! The support means a lot to me!

How did you manage a 3.9 GPA? I am a skilled test taker for some reason (I don't know why) but suck at maintaining a very high GPA. 3.5 for me is high.
That's a difficult question to answer. It depends on the school/program/courses that you're in. At my school (and probably most schools) engineering programs make it hard to attain a high GPA although they have more job prospects than some biology programs.

3.9, 38MCAT and it took you THREE cycles?? ****, given my college app experience and my probably poor interview skills I'm really scared this is going to be me

Granted you did get into Yale so the end result isn't bad, congrats. Did you reapp 3 times to Yale?

I know it seems daunting. The first time I applied, I absolutely wanted to get in on my first attempt. In hindsight, I am very content with the outcome. This was actually the first time I applied to Yale. I always thought it was out of reach based on my record of applying to med school so I didn't apply but decided to go all in on this application cycle.

Congratulations! I can't imagine what it must be like to do that three times. You've certainly earned it. I'm so happy for you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@VIZ1 !!! I had been rooting for you along the way! AH I am so, so happy for you-- looking forward to meeting you this August! :soexcited:

Thanks everyone! The support means a lot!

Congrats!!!!! Soo happy for you! I remember there being an issue with pre-requisites for some of the schools you were waitlisted at. Did you find out in time to take any you need or is that not an issue anymore? Congrats again!!

Thanks! My courses were fine for Yale. I'm glad I wasn't put in a situation where I couldn't finish my courses on time. (Eg UCLA being my only acceptance late June)

Thanks everybody! The support means a lot to me!

That's a difficult question to answer. It depends on the school/program/courses that you're in. At my school (and probably most schools) engineering programs make it hard to attain a high GPA although they have more job prospects than some biology programs.

Oh. Engineering School. Well it looks like you discovered my problems. Lol.

Congratulations! I'm so happy to hear it worked out for you --

Thanks everyone! The support means a lot!

Thanks! My courses were fine for Yale. I'm glad I wasn't put in a situation where I couldn't finish my courses on time. (Eg UCLA being my only acceptance late June)

David Geffen is a good school too. I always found it interesting that the school is named after the same guy (record exec) who signed Bob Dylan and Nirvana. I guess it's good Geffen values education?

David Geffen is a good school too. I always found it interesting that the school is named after the same guy (record exec) who signed Bob Dylan and Nirvana. I guess it's good Geffen values education?

UCLA is a good school too. I just didn't meet 3 of their prerequisites and I would not have had the opportunity to take those courses if they accepted me late summer.