Mentioning acceptances in a LOI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clipslicer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to 3 schools. However, I really want to go to this one school I interviewed at that I'm waiting on. I already had an interview there but have been waiting for 3 months without a decision.

I want to write a letter of intent to this school saying I really want to go there. Do you think it would be wise to include that I have been accepted to 3 other schools, say the names of the schools, and then say I will turn them down for your school. Or should I not mention the schools by name, or should I just not say anything about being accepted anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

all schools can find out where else you have been accepted. all they have to do is log in on the internet to the aamc and look you up.
imo, just mention that you have been accepted to other institutions (no names), but would turn them down if accepted here. then they can look it up if they want.

even though LOIs really have little impact on anything, you probably don't need to mention that you are accepted if you decide to send one. You could be an applicant on their fence, and if they read that you are already in at other places, they may be inclined to say "Oh well, she's already in elsewhere, so let's go ahead and reject or waitlist." Alternatively, they'll look up to see where you're accepted and if they deem places where you're in already as a 'higher tier' than their school, they probably won't make you an offer. if you feel you must write an LOI (that will probably just get filed away anyway) then just mention that you are still waiting to hear from them and that you are very interested in attending their school. no need to give any unnecessary details.

Members don't see this ad :)
I figured if I say I was accepted to three schools, but really want to go there, they'll think this guy must be a good applicant so lets get him. Any other opinions?

Also, what do people think about sending in a LOI before the decision is made. Is it better to wait to see if I'm waitlisted or not? I want to write this LOI when it will have the most impact. Would that be before the decision is made or after I'm waitlisted?

most applicants are good applicants and most applicants have more than one acceptance, so you're really not trying to impress anybody by mentioning the fact that you're accepted in a letter.

and in terms of when to best send it there's no good answer. again, in my experience with colleagues at several med schools, LOIs aren't read -- they're just filed away because they're non-binding. THey know you're interested -- you applied there, so LOIs often don't carry the impact most students think they do. You'll probably want to wait until a decision is made (a non-reject decision that is). If you're waitlisted, schools will often time send out a letter or email asking you if you wish to remain on the waitlist...that's probably the only 'loi" they'll look at.

Originally posted by edfig99
most applicants are good applicants and most applicants have more than one acceptance
Actually of the 32,000 applicants that apply, only 16,000 get accepted. I highly doubt all 16,000 had more than one acceptance. I would venture to say that less than half of that 16,000 had more than one and not too many had 3. In other words, I would say it was a feat to get into 3 schools.

Any other opinions?

i didnt mention it outright b/c it can sound arrogant. I just said i had "visited many other schools" and am "fortunate to have several choices". You dont want the adcom to be like "well this snotty bastard has three accepts... he doesnt need us"

how long was your LOI? should it be a concise "will withdraw etc..." or should it elaborate on why too?

Originally posted by Clipslicer
Actually of the 32,000 applicants that apply, only 16,000 get accepted. I highly doubt all 16,000 had more than one acceptance. I would venture to say that less than half of that 16,000 had more than one and not too many had 3. In other words, I would say it was a feat to get into 3 schools.

Any other opinions?

Wow it's up to 50% acceptance rate? Cool. it was one in three back when i was applying. I will say that at the med school where I interviewed, all accepted students had well over three acceptances and their pick of schools. I had nine at the time. I'm not trying to minimize your feat -- three acceptances is great and I applaud your efforts...all I'm saying is that multiple acceptances aren't uncommon, and depending on the school, an LOI highlighting those acceptances doesn't necessarily help you and can hurt you.