General Admissions & OTCAS Mentorship and scholarship opportunities for minority students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cannOT_f@il

Reaction score
Hello all, I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe during these times. Personally going through this OT journey I've felt there were a lot of hurdles. I noticed there is not much support for prospective students and especially for BIPOC individuals. I was wondering if anyone had a mentor or strong support system along their journey? Also, has anyone come across any scholarship opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
During my OT journey, I did not have strong mentorship... an OT I shadowed with and who wrote my recommendation kept in contact with me so that was nice... we are still friends on fb even now. One of college professors was a great mentor while I was in school and my first year and I know I can turn to her if I ever need to talk, but pretty much on your own.. at leasr that was my experience.. I personally also did not find any scholarships, but I went to school about six years ago so that could have changed.

During my OT journey, I did not have strong mentorship... an OT I shadowed with and who wrote my recommendation kept in contact with me so that was nice... we are still friends on fb even now. One of college professors was a great mentor while I was in school and my first year and I know I can turn to her if I ever need to talk, but pretty much on your own.. at leasr that was my experience.. I personally also did not find any scholarships, but I went to school about six years ago so that could have changed.
Thanks so much for your reply! I was hoping that "you're on your own" feeling is something that would eventually go away. Do you feel if there were adequate resources to find mentors it would better shape the therapist we become?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 users
Hey! You might already be familiar with this, but if not, I recommend that you check out Coalition for Occupational Therapy Advocates for Diversity (COTAD). They host events, presentations, and book clubs to promote diversity in the profession. They also have a mentorship program to pair OT students with OT practitioners, with a particular interest in supporting OT students from underrepresented backgrounds.
Hi, Thank you for this! I was unaware, they offered that service.
Sad The Office GIF

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much for your reply! I was hoping that "you're on your own" feeling is something that would eventually go away. Do you feel if there were adequate resources to find mentors it would better shape the therapist we become?
I guess it will eventually go away, but I'm 4 yrs in and still feel like a baby OT, lol. Well let me clarify... I don't feel like im on my own. I definitely found a job where I am learning a lot and not just from other OTs, but from the PTs, SLPs, and sp. ed teachers. I do still feel like there is sooo much more to learn and/or it's hard to take whats in my brain and explain to others (ie parents)... but that confidence/skills comes with practice... back to ur original question, we are a hands on field... mentorship/guidance is key, but not as readily available as professors make it seems. I think that's one thing our profession need to do better at is teaching the new OTs. It's why I feel so strongly about taking students.

I guess it will eventually go away, but I'm 4 yrs in and still feel like a baby OT, lol. Well let me clarify... I don't feel like im on my own. I definitely found a job where I am learning a lot and not just from other OTs, but from the PTs, SLPs, and sp. ed teachers. I do still feel like there is sooo much more to learn and/or it's hard to take whats in my brain and explain to others (ie parents)... but that confidence/skills comes with practice... back to ur original question, we are a hands on field... mentorship/guidance is key, but not as readily available as professors make it seems. I think that's one thing our profession need to do better at is teaching the new OTs. It's why I feel so strongly about taking students.
You sound like an amazing person/therapist thank you for all your insight!