Mercer DPT - 2016 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megsmans

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back from Mercer's DPT program?

Members don't see this ad.

They do not have rolling admissions. The application deadline is in a month. So, it's going to be a while.

You're right, I completely forgot they're not doing rolling admissions this year. More waiting it is!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email yesterday inviting me to an interview Nov. 19th.

Reactions: 1 user
University: Georgia College an State University
Major: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.62 (no retakes)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.59
GRE: 1st V: 153; Q: 152; A: 3.0 .... 2nd V: 154; Q: 148; A: 3.5

Submitted PTCAS: 9/19
Verified: 9/26

Volunteer: 3000 hr outpatient

Applied: Armstrong, Brenau, Emory, Georgia State, Mercer

Acceptances: N/A

Rejections: N/A

Interviews: Mercer (11/19) request received (10/19)

Hey all,

I applied and interviewed with Mercer last year - but decided to go to Emory's DPT program - so let me know if I can shed a bit of light on any part of the application process!

Hey all,

I applied and interviewed with Mercer last year - but decided to go to Emory's DPT program - so let me know if I can shed a bit of light on any part of the application process!
Would you mind explaining what the interview was like? That would be greatly appreciated!

Sure thing! It's been a little while since the interview, but from what I remember you start off by mingling with the current students, faculty, and fellow interviewees - as interesting as it is to get to know about the other interviewees, try to interact with the current students and faculty. There's an introduction of the faculty and program overview before they split you into 3 different groups: Q&A with the current students, personal interviews and group interviews. There's an optional tour of the campus/facilities afterwards, but I opted out of it. Hope that gives you bit of an insight into how interview days are structured (most schools are more or less set up like this) and good luck!

Sure thing! It's been a little while since the interview, but from what I remember you start off by mingling with the current students, faculty, and fellow interviewees - as interesting as it is to get to know about the other interviewees, try to interact with the current students and faculty. There's an introduction of the faculty and program overview before they split you into 3 different groups: Q&A with the current students, personal interviews and group interviews. There's an optional tour of the campus/facilities afterwards, but I opted out of it. Hope that gives you bit of an insight into how interview days are structured (most schools are more or less set up like this) and good luck!
Do you remember anything about the types of questions they asked in the personal and group interviews? Was it more laid back so to say or really structured for the most part?

Hi guys, I was just about to apply when I saw that even though PTCAS lists the deadline at Nov 1st, Mercer U lists their supplemental application deadline at 10/17, which has already passed. Is this a mistake? Or are they both in November, and the website just has not been updated?? Thanks

So you received an invitation for an interview before the 11/1/16 deadline? I didn't realize programs did that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So you received an invitation for an interview before the 11/1/16 deadline? I didn't realize programs did that.

Some schools review applications as they come in even though they state they do not have rolling admissions, just depends on the program I suppose, but it's always best to apply as early as possible.

Hi guys, I was just about to apply when I saw that even though PTCAS lists the deadline at Nov 1st, Mercer U lists their supplemental application deadline at 10/17, which has already passed. Is this a mistake? Or are they both in November, and the website just has not been updated?? Thanks
I think they are both hard deadlines, I would check with the admission coordinator.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was verified 7/15 and completely done by 8/15 for all programs I applied to - pretty early.

They recently pushed back their overall deadline to Nov 1.

A good friend of mine is in her second year at Mercer and she told me the first round of interviews is full, and you would have been notified by now. There is a second round in January, and invited should be sent out late November/early December.

Received an interview request today (11/8) for 1/14/17. This seems really late to me. Do I even have a chance?

Hey all,

I was wondering if you could give me some tips/info on the Mercer interview? Mine is in January.

Received an interview e-mail today for 1/14/16 for Mercer. This is my second interview invitation so far.

Is it safe to assume that those of us who haven't received this second round invitation won't receive one at all? Seems to be the most likely case, but pessimism and such.

Hi all, quick question. I just received an email this morning inviting me to the interview on 01/14/16. However, after reading these posts I saw that there has already been an interview date for November. Considering I would have to take a plane in order to be at the interview, I wanted to make sure that it was worth it. Will they already have a full class by the time the January interview date rolls around? Thanks for the help!

Is it safe to assume that those of us who haven't received this second round invitation won't receive one at all? Seems to be the most likely case, but pessimism and such.
I received an email this morning (11/08), so I would still have hope!

Sorry for the late response, but to answer @energy_pt and @kdhdpt, interview day starts off with mingling between the intervees, professors and students followed by a introduction to the program. You should really try to talk to the professors and current students to get a feel of what the program is like during that time. After the introduction to the program, you are split into either personal interviews, a Q&A with the students, and a group activity. The interview itself felt longer than the other schools I interviewed at, but definitely wasn't anything too stressful. There's the obvious "why/how you got into physical therapy" as well as questions designed to look at your character. There's an optional tour that they give following interviews, but I opted out of that.
@PSUkines, my memory is a bit hazy, but from what I remember last year, they had maybe half or a little more of the class filled before the second round of interviews.
Hope this helps clarify some of the questions you may have about interview day and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone that went to interviews this weekend, how'd they go? What questions were asked?

For anyone that went to interviews this weekend, how'd they go? What questions were asked?
I was accepted today around 3:00 pm. Questions I remember are what will my classmates say about me, how'd I get into PT, what population would I see myself working with. My interviewers were very easy going and it felt more like a conversation than a standard interview. Everyone was very friendly. I really enjoyed the group interview as well!

i also interviewed this weekend and it was very chill. I got a very good feel for what the vibe is like between students as well as faculty. for me the faculty quality and involvement with students is a major factor, as well as the classroom camaraderie within the cohort. i think that combined with the quality of education and clinical opportunities mercer seems like a great place! i would definitely interview there if you are on the fence.
i got a call on monday as well that i was accepted too! i am waiting to hear from another top choice before making a decision, but the interview day put mercer definitely into my top 2. so relieved to get my first acceptance before the holidays too!!

@kdhdpt congrats! Is Mercer your top choice for PT school?
Thanks! I have an interview with Georgia State Dec. 2nd! I thought for sure I was set on GSU if I get in, but after the interview with Mercer I can definitely see myself there also. If I'm accepted to GSU I will have a tough decision on my hands!

i also interviewed this weekend and it was very chill. I got a very good feel for what the vibe is like between students as well as faculty. for me the faculty quality and involvement with students is a major factor, as well as the classroom camaraderie within the cohort. i think that combined with the quality of education and clinical opportunities mercer seems like a great place! i would definitely interview there if you are on the fence.
i got a call on monday as well that i was accepted too! i am waiting to hear from another top choice before making a decision, but the interview day put mercer definitely into my top 2. so relieved to get my first acceptance before the holidays too!!
Did you go ahead and complete the survey to secure your spot even though your waiting to hear from another school? Congrats btw :)

It's a behavioral based interview. You can find out many of the questions by googling "behavioral based interview". The key is to prepare specific examples of how you exhibited the questioned characteristics and what you learned from your experience. If your prepared it will be fairly easy and you'll be able to focus on good communication.

I was accepted as well. Congrats to everyone else. It was my first acceptance, so this a huge stress relief. I will definitely be very relaxed in my interview next week.

Thanks! I have an interview with Georgia State Dec. 2nd! I thought for sure I was set on GSU if I get in, but after the interview with Mercer I can definitely see myself there also. If I'm accepted to GSU I will have a tough decision on my hands!

GSU being half the cost goes a long way. I'm interviewing on the 2nd as well. It seems like they interview a lot of people in very short time. I haven't even though about having to choose between the two schools. Mercer was extremely welcoming, I am very grateful for the acceptance.

@kdhdpt GSU was actually my top choice when I was applying/interviewing, but I ended up going to Emory. Granted, I wasn't accepted to GSU, and was set on Mercer before going to the Emory interview. I might've answered it on another thread, but let me know if you have any questions about the GSU interview!
@Grizzlyman congrats to you as well!

@kdhdpt I didn't fill out the form yet bec I should hear back in the next couple weeks about Belmont, my other top choice. They filled up most of their class with early decision people and only have 6-8 spots left I think, so I'm not toooooo hopeful I will get in, but if I do i will feel pretty torn- they were both really really awesome on interview day! Since i'm not a georgia resident GSU actually would end up being far more expensive than Mercer, so I ended up cancelling my interview there once accepted at Mercer.

@kdhdpt I didn't fill out the form yet bec I should hear back in the next couple weeks about Belmont, my other top choice. They filled up most of their class with early decision people and only have 6-8 spots left I think, so I'm not toooooo hopeful I will get in, but if I do i will feel pretty torn- they were both really really awesome on interview day! Since i'm not a georgia resident GSU actually would end up being far more expensive than Mercer, so I ended up cancelling my interview there once accepted at Mercer.

when you say 6-8 spots left, do you mean for Belmont University or Mercer University?

I actually went ahead and filled out my form because it said "secure" your spot so I was worried id lose it if I didn't go ahead and respond. Hope that doesn't cause any trouble if I decide to go with a different school! I hope you find out soon though :)

when you say 6-8 spots left, do you mean for Belmont University or Mercer University?

She meant Belmont. If you are interviewing in January for Mercer you still have a very good chance at acceptance. There will also be students that will decline Mercer for whatever reason. Traditionally Mercer has accepted about half of the students from each interview session. Good luck.

@kdhdpt GSU was actually my top choice when I was applying/interviewing, but I ended up going to Emory. Granted, I wasn't accepted to GSU, and was set on Mercer before going to the Emory interview. I might've answered it on another thread, but let me know if you have any questions about the GSU interview!
@Grizzlyman congrats to you as well!

Hello! I just saw your replies. I will have an interview on GSU, and could you help me prepare the interview? What kind of questions I need to prepare and your opinions about the factors which are important to get into the school. Thank you.

@kdhdpt I wish I had told you earlier, but it would've been okay to ask them for an extension to give time for the other school to get back on you, if that was something you were concerned about, although I did have to commit to Mercer before ultimately committing to Emory.
@hjpark16 There will always be the "why PT" question (which in my interview question was asked in a way that I didn't comprehend - and part of the reason why I think I wasn't accepted due to the answer I gave). Your response to "why PT," I think, is a good tell for the AdCom to gauge how enthusiastic you are about the profession and how likely they'll consider you. I don't quite remember the other questions, but I recall that there weren't any situational questions (e.g., what would you do if one of your group member wasn't contributing). The interview lasts ~15 minutes and there were about 7 questions. I personally felt a bit rushed during the interview, so I'd practice being concise (but thorough) with your answers. I would research a bit about GSU's program and see if/what they offer someone other schools don't. Other than that, I would suggest getting to know as much about the program from the students and faculty as it is as much as them getting to know you as it is you getting to know them. That's all I got, but let me know if you have any other questions!

Last edited:
@kdhdpt I wish I had told you earlier, but it would've been okay to ask them for an extension to give time for the other school to get back on you, if that was something you were concerned about, although I did have to commit to Mercer before ultimately committing to Emory.
@hjpark16 There will always be the "why PT" question (which in my interview question was asked in a way that I didn't comprehend - and part of the reason why I think I wasn't accepted due to the answer I gave). Your response to "why PT," I think, is a good tell for the AdCom to gauge how enthusiastic you are about the profession and how likely they'll consider you. I don't quite remember the other questions, but I recall that there weren't any situational questions (e.g., what would you do if one of your group member wasn't contributing). The interview lasts ~15 minutes and there were about 7 questions. I personally felt a bit rushed during the interview, so I'd practice being concise (but thorough) with your answers. I would research a bit about GSU's program and see if/what they offer someone other schools don't. Other than that, I would suggest getting to know as much about the program from the students and faculty as it is as much as them getting to know you as it is you getting to know them. That's all I got, but let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for your response! It is really helpful to prepare the interview!

I got an email today but nowhere does it say what time to be there for the interview (1/14)
Anyone know?

Just kidding, I found it :)

So...when is it? I don't see it in that email either. haha

Edit: I just received a separate email stating the time, in case anyone else looks at this. My time is at 10:30am, not sure if that is the same for everyone though.

Last edited:
After the first interviews they started letting people know very quickly.

Last cycle they were notified by Wednesday the following week. but haven't seen anyone who interviewed on 1/14 saying they were called yet.

Hey to all who've been accepted to the fall '17 p DPT class. I accepted my admission last year's cycle but I elected to do a dual degree so during this year ('16-17) I've been taking the MPH portion and I won't be starting the DPT portion until this fall with this incoming class. I look forward to meeting you all! I remember scanning this site everyday and how stressful everything was so I def feel for you, but its all worth it :) I had my interview in January and received a phone call on Feb 2 I believe. So you January interviewees don't lose hope and good luck to ya!

Hey to all who've been accepted to the fall '17 p DPT class. I accepted my admission last year's cycle but I elected to do a dual degree so during this year ('16-17) I've been taking the MPH portion and I won't be starting the DPT portion until this fall with this incoming class. I look forward to meeting you all! I remember scanning this site everyday and how stressful everything was so I def feel for you, but its all worth it :) I had my interview in January and received a phone call on Feb 2 I believe. So you January interviewees don't lose hope and good luck to ya!
Hi! I was accepted to Mercer back in November and was also considering the dual degree program for public health. How do you plan on using the mph along with your DPT?