Merit Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiki23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what schools have already given out merit scholarships?

The schools that I am interested in include:

Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt
Mount Sinai
Wake Forest
NYU

My decision is going to come down to financial aid and I really do not want to have to wait until May to find out that I won't be getting any money.

Also, if you are wait listed at a school and then get accepted, does that mean that you are most likely not going to get any money besides federal loans?

Thanks everyone ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt
Mount Sinai
Wake Forest
NYU

Pittsburgh has. They called a few weeks ago. I'm not sure about the others though.

i thought pitt didn't give merit scholarships anymore? or at least not substantial ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought pitt didn't give merit scholarships anymore? or at least not substantial ones?

They do. I know of at least one person (not me) who got a full-tuition scholarship.

well that sucks. i was hoping to get something from them.

Sorry :( Maybe they haven't yet called everyone. Plus, I'm sure people will be turning down some of the smaller scholarships soon, freeing up some more money to go around.

About Sinai, do they even give out merit scholarships?

I could be wrong, but I do not think that NYU offers purely merit-based scholarships. Their financial aid info sent in the mails says scholarships are for those who "demonstrate the greatest finanancial need as determined by FAFSA".

Vandy gives a ton of merit scholarships.

Vandy gives a ton of merit scholarships.

But I think they've at least given out the first round of full scholarships, according to our class thread.

How high of merit must one have to get scholorships, also do you people apply or do schools just offer?

Sorry :( Maybe they haven't yet called everyone. Plus, I'm sure people will be turning down some of the smaller scholarships soon, freeing up some more money to go around.

About Sinai, do they even give out merit scholarships?

From the MMSM financial aid website:

Award Letters outlining costs, estimated family contribution, scholarships, and loan eligibility are sent out in early June by e-mail to continuing students and U.S. mail for new students.

So I guess there are scholarships, but we won't know about them till june.

sinai gives 2 full rides and that's all i'm aware of

Johns Hopkins has full scholarships...

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do next to none of these schools tell you this information, via the web or otherwise? Sigh.

Why do next to none of these schools tell you this information, via the web or otherwise? Sigh.

Agreed. NYU has the least helpful financial aid website ever.

How high of merit must one have to get scholorships, also do you people apply or do schools just offer?

im also curious about this....do you have to have a 4.0/40 to be considered for any type of merit scholarship? are they based solely on numbers or do they take other factors into account? and what types of stats did all of you lucky scholarship winners have? thanks!

im also curious about this....do you have to have a 4.0/40 to be considered for any type of merit scholarship? are they based solely on numbers or do they take other factors into account? and what types of stats did all of you lucky scholarship winners have? thanks!

Well, I have a 3.98 /36. Also grew up dirt poor in the projects. I can't even god damn get information on these types of scholarships that are incredibly important for me. They expect me to apply to every school and interview everywhere. I can't even afford to attend more than a handful of interviews. So sick of this crap.

Yeah I don't know why schools don't tell you about the scholarships available. I know some schools have more aid than others, but I feel that they should tell applicants if and when merit based scholarships are awarded. That would REALLY help me eliminate some schools. But no, here I am hanging on to schools probably just to find out there is no money. But for the slight chance that there is money I'm holding out.

Schools often have scholarships for particular groups of people only (e.g. URMs, Bosnian nationals of Lithuanian descent, women graduates of Haverford college). Some of these scholarships are endowed by individuals from that particular group that want to help others like them. Schools also often call institution funded grants 'scholarships'. So there's a lot of confusion out there when someone says, 'I know someone who got a full ride to blah blah blah', and someone else says, 'whell I go there, and they don't do scholarships'. So just chill.

Apply for financial aid. Apply for the big national scholarships that are out there (ask your medical school fin aid officer) but don't count on anything.

Yes, school is expensive. Yes, many of your classmates come from rich families. And yes, it can be really anxiety provoking sitting there accumulating massive amounts of debt, even if you do come from a rich family. But unfortunately, the large majority of you just aren't going to get merit based scholarships.

Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt
Mount Sinai
Wake Forest
NYU

My decision is going to come down to financial aid and I really do not want to have to wait until May to find out that I won't be getting any money.

Also, if you are wait listed at a school and then get accepted, does that mean that you are most likely not going to get any money besides federal loans?

Thanks everyone ;)

UMich did at the end of March. Their admitted students website gives more details, I believe!

Well, I have a 3.98 /36. Also grew up dirt poor in the projects. I can't even god damn get information on these types of scholarships that are incredibly important for me. They expect me to apply to every school and interview everywhere. I can't even afford to attend more than a handful of interviews. So sick of this crap.

Keep your head up. It sucks applying when your paying for it yourself, but it can be done. :luck:

I had to take an extra year off to work to save up before applying (so a total of two years off after UG) because it all came out of my pocket, but I pulled it off. I even lost my home to katrina in the midst of the application process and lost most of my savings to getting back on my feet and I still managed to fly myself about in a nice suit and get in a few places.

It takes alot of discipline to save up and wait that extra time but the payoff when you make it here knowing that you did this all by yourself, driven by nothing but your own determination, there is no sweeter feeling in the world.

You can go to medschool without a scholarship even if you are poor as dirt, there are enough loans to cover everything, the debt sucks but your not going to be kept from medschool if you don't get a full ride somewhere.

Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt
Mount Sinai
Wake Forest
NYU

Thanks everyone ;)

Pitt definetly give scholarships, I got one last year. Also if you are considering those schools you might want to consider Case and CCLCM (if you like research) they both give scholarships. And I got off a waitlist from a school and was offered a scholarship and i've heard about it from others too, so it happens. But if you are really hoping on a scholarship the more schools you apply to the higher chance that you have.