MGH IHP interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomattic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Invited to interview Saturday, Feb 2. Tuition is expensive as hell so this one was kind of a pipe dream and I may decline. Does anyone have inside info about the program? Is it actually worth the exorbitant tuition?

Members don't see this ad.

Got an interview invitation aswell! It is REALLY expensive but I am going to the interview just to check out the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Kids!

Do some searching of the threads for mgh-related stuff and you'll likely find.. me! I've tried my best to answer questions related to the school since I was admitted a mere 2.5 years ago. I just finished the academic portion of my year-long internship, will be sitting for the boards on Jan 29.

Please look at the link jmb444 kindly posted but then feel free to post any additional questions you may have. I welcome PMs too.

Congrats for getting an interview. It's really an excellent program and the places I've done clinical placements at have said they find IHP students to be better prepared for practicing.

-Kate

I'll be there on the 2nd as well!

According to previous threads, there is about a 2:1 interviewed:admitted ratio, though I can't re-locate the thread I found that in.

According to previous threads ( http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=877411&highlight=mgh) those who interviewed with and attended MGH thought it was worth all the money. I have an interview in February as well so hopefully we will have a good idea after. Does anyone know how many interviews they usually hold for a class size of 70?

I read on their website that they offer a 1 year, full-time, paid internship. Is the internship during the 3.5 year program or does it begin after 3.5 years of study? If it begins while we're still in the program, that would obviously seriously lower the cost of tuition, assuming we could use the money we're paid to cover the last year of tuition. Does anyone know the details on this?

So the 1 year paid internship begins the fall of the 3 year after 2.3years of coursework. So it's the 3rd year of the program. The first 4 months are the student portion and then you'll graduate and sit for the boards and finish the internship as a licensed therapist. The structure and pay vary based on the clinic site you're placed at.

Hey everyone! Congrats on getting an interview to MGHIHP! I'm a first year in the program and I absolutely love it! I found this forum very helpful when I was applying, so feel free to ask me questions or PM me as well. Good luck!

Hey babaO98- Have we met? I'm going to venture a guess yes. I'm a 3rd year, I helped out in anatomy labs this past summer.

Kttdancer -Thanks for the links to the previous threads and the further information! I just rescheduled for January 26th and can't wait to check out the program.

According to previous threads ( http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=877411&highlight=mgh) those who interviewed with and attended MGH thought it was worth all the money. I have an interview in February as well so hopefully we will have a good idea after. Does anyone know how many interviews they usually hold for a class size of 70?

I just skimmed that thread and it looks like most of those who commented had yet to actually make a lona payment yet. Their opinions on whether or not it was worth the $$$ might be more relevant if they are actually in repayment status on their loans.

I just did a pretty thorough search for old MGH threads in pre-PT and PT forums, but couldn't find this info. Does anyone know the format for the interview(s) (e.g. one-on-one, panel, group, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed last year and it was a group interview. There were three applicants to each professor.

Awesome, thanks for that info. So, based on SDN research I've done, the general rule of thumb with those types of interviews seems to be:
-be proactive, but not aggressive in terms of answering first
-bounce ideas off of each other, feed off of others comments
-have some back up answers in case someone 'takes' your answer

Any other tips for that format? I'm only familiar with one-on-one.

Awesome, thanks for that info. So, based on SDN research I've done, the general rule of thumb with those types of interviews seems to be:
-be proactive, but not aggressive in terms of answering first
-bounce ideas off of each other, feed off of others comments
-have some back up answers in case someone 'takes' your answer

Any other tips for that format? I'm only familiar with one-on-one.

When I interviewed, the professor actually asked us questions individually, so there was no need to "go first." Instead, she just ended up starting with me and asked me a specific question about a job I had in undergrad. They do ask some more general questions, and I'm not sure how other interviewers run their groups, but mine was actually very organized and directed so we didn't have to stress much about bouncing off each other.

When I interviewed, the professor actually asked us questions individually, so there was no need to "go first." Instead, she just ended up starting with me and asked me a specific question about a job I had in undergrad. They do ask some more general questions, and I'm not sure how other interviewers run their groups, but mine was actually very organized and directed so we didn't have to stress much about bouncing off each other.

That sounds much more relaxed to me. Thanks!

Last edited:
Nomatic, how did the interview go? So looking forward to mine next week!

Nomatic, how did the interview go? So looking forward to mine next week!

It was great! I liked the other applicants I met, and the faculty and students were really accommodating, informative, and professional. My interview was composed of 3 interviewees and 1 interviewer (a faculty member). It's true what past interviewees have said, that it is not a competitive vibe. For the most part we all were asked a different question each time. Make sure you're familiar with your application, as most questions were an extension of something we had written about in an essay or listed as a volunteer experience. Good luck next week!

Glad you had a good experience! I wish you all the best in making your decisions. I haven't been active here as much, but I take my boards Tuesday, so I think that's a valid excuse!

That's great! I was worried that with the group format I wouldn't be able to really talk about what makes me unique as an applicant. I felt like although other programs used a group format they were more interested in how you responded to the questions and how you interacted with the group rather than gaining insight into the individual applicant.

I will say that my interviewer clearly took the time to read my application before the interview and highlighted my uniqueness. So you will have that opportunity to do so. Having said that, the interview is only 30 minutes with 3 people, so I only answered about 4 questions total or roughly 4-5 minutes of total talking time (factoring in the time my interviewer took to respond to each of our answers, which she most definitely did). Make your answers count and keep them succinct.

Thanks so much for all the info! Did they say how long until they told you their decision?

Sounded like they're waiting to send out everyone's decision after you guys interview next weekend. But it sounded like we'd know quickly, like that following week.

Has anyone received additional info about the interview day? (i.e where to go, etc) I have only received the initial interview invite and was told I would received more info mid-Jan. Also, I have seen a lot of people are interviewing on the 2nd, anyone else on the 1st?

I will call soon to double check

My interview is for the 1st aswell. I emailed Almi to get the additional info but she said that all the info we needed was sent in the first email (in that case, I dont know why they said more info was coming). Our interview time and the PT department's address are all in the initial interview invite. See you on Friday!

For those that attended interviews the 1st and 2nd, any thoughts or feedback? Are they still communicating a decision regarding acceptances and waitlist within the week?

I was there this weekend and was very impressed!!! They said that they were deciding on Sunday and then sending it out early this week. I believe we find out through email?

I got the email this morning, I got in! I interviewed on Friday. Now I need to decide between Northwestern and MGH!!!

Got the email this morning. Accepted with scholarship! Waiting to hear back from two other schools, but excited about this one. Congrats, bwhite!

I also got the lovely email that I got into MGH! A HUGE burden off my chest! God is so Great!!

I got this email this morning, too! Super pumped

I have some serious decisions to make. Does any one have an estimate on how much I could expect to pay monthly for an apartment in Boston?

From a historical perspective, does anyone know how many end up on the waiting list? And, least likely known, how many typically come off?

I got this email this morning, too! Super pumped

I have some serious decisions to make. Does any one have an estimate on how much I could expect to pay monthly for an apartment in Boston?

I lived in Boston during undergrad and can tell you that it varies widely, but breaks down like this from what I remember.
Somerville/Cambridge: I shared a 2 bedroom in both and paid about $850/month and 800/month respectively, but know that prices in that area have climbed recently. Both are nice, not far from campus, with close access to the T (public transport), and with roommates can be affordable.
Allston is another affordable option with roommates. I paid $650 to live with 10 other people (yes, ten) in a 3-story house.
Dorchester is traditionally known as the hood (sort of) but is gentrifying like crazy and will have cheaper options. My friend just moved to Dorchester and pays $750 with one roommate.
Downtown Boston, or Boston proper (Back Bay, South End, Beacon Hill, etc.): will run a LOT higher than the aforementioned spots.
Jamaica Plain and Mission Hill: a little farther away but cheaper options on par with the 600-700/month range with roommates.

What about living in Charlestown? I know a fair number said they lived within a few minute walk of campus?

I've never lived in Charlestown, however, I've been there plenty of times. I will say that it has both its good and bad parts, like many other places. Right around campus (Navy Yard area) is very nice and will be more expensive. Other parts of Charlestown will be cheaper but do your due diligence when learning about any particular neighborhood.

I also was accepted and was offered the Knowles Scholarship! I will hopefully see you all in June!

I also received an acceptance this morning. See you all in the summer!

How long were accepted students given to send in a deposit?

Has anyone been able to access their letter of acceptance through the MGHIHP website yet?

Is the letter supposed to be posted in the same portal through which we originally applied? If so, my status still says "submitted."

I think that's what they said. I still only see all the original application menu options when I log in as well.

Does anyone know how large the waitlist is typically?

Does anyone know how large the waitlist is typically?

They said they interviewed 120 people who "were all qualified to be admitted" and sent out 60 acceptances in their first round of offers, so it could be as large as 60 people.

I'm officially declining my acceptance and scholarship. It was a tough decision but I really hope this helps some other qualified person on the waitlist get a spot in the class and/or the scholarship goes to someone else.

accepted students who are attending,

we should make a facebook group or something!!!!

Last year the school made a Facebook group for us and emailed the link a few weeks later :)

Also in terms of where to live, my class is spread out all over the city. The north end and beacon hill will be more expensive, but are within walking distance to school. Cambridge, Somerville, and Medford are good cheaper options. I also have friends that live in brookline and south Boston.

It really comes down to how much you want to spend and how close you want to be. Basically if you live near a T stop, you'll be ok.

One last thing: a lot of first years sublet June-August and then move to a move permanent place in September. All us first years may need to sublet our places for the full-time practicum, so definitely look for that opportunity as well! The school should let you know how to find these listings later in the spring :)

If you have other questions, feel free to ask!

This might sound silly, but I love to workout and was highly disappointed with the YMCA at the constitution inn. In those locations you mentioned are there some nice gyms nearby?

I can't speak for every neighborhood, but I ended up getting a membership at the YMCA you're talking about. It was the cheapest one I could find ($30/month) and it actually works out great because it's right across the street from Building 36. A ton of us work out there and we honestly don't have a ton of free time, so it's the most convenient in my opinion.
I'm sure most places have gyms, but if you're in the city it's going to be a bit more expensive. I lived in Somerville this summer and went to Planet Fitness for $10 a month. I know there's a tiny branch in Government Center but I didn't keep my membership. It really depends on where you end up living, though. Once you know where you'll be, it'll be easier to do the research.