MGH IHP Open House

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DanceQueen66

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an email for MGH IHP Openhouse. It looks like an optional one. Has anyone also got it, is it a step before interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I got one yesterday too! I'm not sure if it is a step before interviews though. Are you gonna attend?

I emailed them to ask- they are NOT doing interviews this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does that mean not everyone got invited to the open house?

I got an email also yesterday afternoon. Does this mean we got in to the school, and the open house is more for information?

I got an email too. I'm definitely going, but I live in NYC so it's not that hard for me to get there. We haven't gotten accepted. I went to a regular info session earlier in the year, and the perception I got when they talked about the Open house was that it in fact was their interview. I got the same perception reading the letter: even though it states "it's not required and will not be a factor in scoring your application", there are statements that suggest that you should attend or participate in the live steam to show that you actually have a genuine interest in attending the program (the 'However' sentence is a huge giveaway IMO) Honestly, I don't even know why they said it won't be a factor, because it weren't, why not just accept the students you want strictly off of their application and then invite them to an Open House for accepted students? (I think Boston U does it this way)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got an email too. I'm definitely going, but I live in NYC so it's not that hard for me to get there. We haven't gotten accepted. I went to a regular info session earlier in the year, and the perception I got when they talked about the Open house was that it in fact was their interview. I got the same perception reading the letter: even though it states "it's not required and will not be a factor in scoring your application", there are statements that suggest that you should attend or participate in the live steam to show that you actually have a genuine interest in attending the program (the 'However' sentence is a huge giveaway IMO) Honestly, I don't even know why they said it won't be a factor, because it weren't, why not just accept the students you want strictly off of their application and then invite them to an Open House for accepted students? (I think Boston U does it this way)

Yea your probably right. I guess I'll see you there. I wonder if they choose certain people out of the all the candidates from the open house.

I got that email too, but i cant go because i start a new job that week. does anyone know when they should be letting us know if we got accepted or not?

I got that email too, but i cant go because i start a new job that week. does anyone know when they should be letting us know if we got accepted or not?

ImageUploadedBySDN1478379449.592701.jpg

Yea your probably right. I guess I'll see you there. I wonder if they choose certain people out of the all the candidates from the open house.

They definitely do, probably the ones that stand out and make lasting impression. It feels like it's going to be similar to a job fair.

Also got the invite for the open house. For those of you who went to informational sessions with the program, did anyone ever explicitly state that this open house was being used as an interview replacement? My understanding is that the open house is simply there to provide a deeper look into the program for the candidates that, in the past, would have been considered for interviews. Part of any interview process is inviting potential students an opportunity to make a more informed decision about taking an acceptance offer to a program. It would make sense that if this were being weighted heavily in the admissions process, that other open house dates would have been offered, considering applicants may have circumstances preventing travel to Boston on that date. For myself, I'm undergoing a SLAP repair the day before Thanksgiving, so travel across the country a week and a half later, financially and physically, isn't really possible. And certainly there must be other applicants having to plan travel from all over the country as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Also got the invite for the open house. For those of you who went to informational sessions with the program, did anyone ever explicitly state that this open house was being used as an interview replacement? My understanding is that the open house is simply there to provide a deeper look into the program for the candidates that, in the past, would have been considered for interviews. Part of any interview process is inviting potential students an opportunity to make a more informed decision about taking an acceptance offer to a program. It would make sense that if this were being weighted heavily in the admissions process, that other open house dates would have been offered, considering applicants may have circumstances preventing travel to Boston on that date. For myself, I'm undergoing a SLAP repair the day before Thanksgiving, so travel across the country a week and a half later, financially and physically, isn't really possible. And certainly there must be other applicants having to plan travel from all over the country as well.

Also, if the open house were evaluative, they wouldn't explicitly state, in bold, underlined letters in the invite, that it is not evaluative.

Has anyone else not heard anything yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not heard anything yet either.
iIkeep hearing they are not having interview this year and open house is optional and informational only. it is not going to help or hurt a candidate. I wonder how their selection process is?

for people going to this open house since we are meeting faculty are you going dress in business attire like the same way we dress for interviews? or do you think its more casual...

I was planning on going in my interview attire minus the blazer, but sounds like I might do the blazer as well, if that's what others are doing. Just a pain to fly with a blazer.

Are you guys going to the morning session or afternoon session?

Have any of you received any additional info other than the eventbright automatic confirmation? I haven't heard anything from them since registering...

So I watched the live feed of the Open House this morning. Any thoughts on the new curriculum from y'all that attended? My concern at this point has to do with program outcomes since we won't see that for some time. Just wanted to gauge what other applicants are thinking about the curriculum.

I got an email for MGH IHP Openhouse. It looks like an optional one. Has anyone also got it, is it a step before interview?
I came back from MGH Open house. It was informative and I felt student panel was helpful. Who ever attended or watched on live feed, what are your thoughts?

I felt like the whole thing was pretty helpful, I heard that more people went to the afternoon session. Just wondering, how packed was the afternoon session cause the morning was already packed enough?

I was at the afternoon session. At one point we were all in one room for the introduction with Dr. Levangie. I counted 17 tables with approx. 6 people per table so there were about 100 people there. Any idea how many people were there in the morning?

I enjoyed the Q&A with the first and second year students. All of them seemed happy/impressed with the new curriculum and it seemed like they had a positive view of the administration (which is good considering how change scares people).
Do you know what kind of things the students were saying about the new curriculum in particular. I couldn't make it to the open house so I am going to watch the recorded version later this week!

From what I remembered, the new curriculum was a lot more of the "you do this on your own, outside of class" while the old curriculum was more in class time. I might be wrong, but that's what I got from it.

From what I remembered, the new curriculum was a lot more of the "you do this on your own, outside of class" while the old curriculum was more in class time. I might be wrong, but that's what I got from it.
Any idea what is their accepted gpa? On PTCAS i see it as 3.6 as avg . I am not at 3.6

Last edited:
Current first year at the IHP, feel free to DM me if you have any questions :)

Wasn't able to make it to the open house... can anyone give more information about housing, parking, what the campus is like, living in Boston etc? Also, do they have a gym/fitness center?

Wasn't able to make it to the open house... can anyone give more information about housing, parking, what the campus is like, living in Boston etc? Also, do they have a gym/fitness center?

From what I remember the student who guided my tour group telling us, the cheapest/most convenient neighborhoods that most of the students reside in are Sommerville and Cambridge. She said Charlestown was a little more expensive, but that gets knocked down since students room together. Parking around the campus is difficult because it's all metered, so you'd have to move your car or feed the meter every two hours. For fitness, there's a YMCA 5 minutes walking distance from the campus. I stayed in a hotel that was attached to it and it looked pretty solid. Boston in my personal opinion is awesome (this is coming from a native New Yorker). I completed my undergrad in NH, and every time I've been there it has been great. I also have a bevy of friends who live in and around Boston and they almost never anything bad to say about living there.

In addition to the YMCA (which is like $30/month), students recently started getting free access to the gym facilities at a nearby apartment/condo(?) complex- I believe it's this place: www.harborviewhealthclub.com. Also like a 5 min walk from campus.

My sense is that most students don't drive to class, but rather bike, take public transit, and/or walk, as these tend to be better options.

Boston is a really cool city in my opinion. There's a TON of schools in the area, so lots of young people and lots of stuff going on all the time. Easy to get around if you don't have a car, lots of good food, lots of cultural and social things going on, etc.

The downsides, in my opinion, are a relatively high cost of living (though less than some urban areas like NY and SF) And it is New England, so it can get pretty cold in the winters, and a bit muggy in the middle of the summer.

How do you like it so far. Why did you pick MGH.
I love it so far. The professors are great and our class is awesome... I don't know if it's the type of people the school attracts or if they truly do try to choose genuine people but everyone in our class is very friendly and helpful; there are no "competitive" vibes which I know my friends in other programs are experiencing. I chose MGH because of the clinical affiliations (namely with Partners network) and the new curriculum. The new curriculum is a lot of self-teaching and you have to keep up with the work, but it is so nice to only have to focus on one "class" aka module at a time; I was extremely worried about facing the stress of a doctoral program and this curriculum has eliminated a lot of that stress. For me personally, one frustrating thing is being part of the first class to go through the new curriculum... they don't have every single kink ironed out yet, but they've been great with listening to any feedback we have given so far.

Does anyone have an idea how many qualified applicants they received this year?