MHA Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone speak to which school would be better for consulting, Columbia or Johns Hopkins?

Members don't see this ad.

Would you mind sharing your experience and thoughts regarding the event for those who didn't attend? (i.e. me!)
It was GREAT very informative. They gave an overview of the program ...then split us up by concentration (I went with the MHA group) so we could get further insight and ask questions. There was a panel of current faculty and they talked about their experience and work. Then there was a panel of current Price students and alumni as well and we got to ask them questions. They also covered financial aid , networking opportunities/advice, and events and clubs on campus to get involved with. It was a long day! 8am-6pm!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also couldn't make it to the USC student's day. Visiting in 2 weeks...so if you went let us know how it was

Anyone else struggling to make a decision between USC, GWU, Georgetown and Tulane? General consensus here seems to be in favor of USC - which is an amazing school. Although, based on my undergrad experience, dealing with administration can often feel impersonal.

Anyone else struggling to make a decision between USC, GWU, Georgetown and Tulane? General consensus here seems to be in favor of USC - which is an amazing school. Although, based on my undergrad experience, dealing with administration can often feel impersonal.
I'm struggling to make a decision between GWU and USC currently. I don't want to follow the consensus though even though yes USC is a great school (I went to their MHA admitted students day). Something in me still wants something different and a new experience ...so I've been leaning towards gwu. I'm trying not be afraid if change and go against the consensus of USC. I would only be going for the name. But I feel gwu could offer and show me so much more and their program is ranked 16 and USC 22. It's tough man. What are you leaning more towards?

I'm struggling to make a decision between GWU and USC currently. I don't want to follow the consensus though even though yes USC is a great school (I went to their MHA admitted students day). Something in me still wants something different and a new experience ...so I've been leaning towards gwu. I'm trying not be afraid if change and go against the consensus of USC. I would only be going for the name. But I feel gwu could offer and show me so much more and their program is ranked 16 and USC 22. It's tough man. What are you leaning more towards?

Realistically, I'm going back and forth between USC, GWU and Georgetown. There are just a ton of pros and cons to weigh. I sat in on a class at USC two weeks ago and it was incredibly interactive and engaging. The thing is - and I suspected as much - all the students I talked to said they have never interacted with their assigned faculty mentor and it's ultimately an independent process to really seek out the right mentors with the best connections for your future.On the flip side, there are a lot of on-campus informational/recruitment sessions. What I loved about the students I met was that everyone was passionate and informed and no one seemed complacent. It's a decently large program so i think competition will definitely factor into the environment. Living in SF now, it's also be far the easiest move for me and the safest option since everyone I know is in CA. Unfortunately, USC is the priciest option as it's not offering me anything in the way of graduate assistantships or anything.

On the other hand, I really see the appeal of GWU and Georgetown. GWU has an amazing program that has a tremendous network and connections in DC. I think I'm struggling with the same factors you are. In terms of rank, GWU has a longer history as an accomplished program - albeit the rankings are not entirely reliable IMO. At Georgetown, I also had a tremendous experience when I visited and their alumni network - though much smaller- have been the most receptive to my questions and have really given me great insight. I think it'll ultimately come down to the experience that I want and that's what I'm having trouble reconciling. Are you leaning towards GWU?

Thank you for your response. Very informative and insightful seeing that I haven't visited DC and wasn't able to attend GWU's preview day. I am leaning more towards GWU, I live about an hour from USC so like you yes it would be the safest/most comfortable option for me, but I want to step out of my comfort zone to be honest. When i step back and look at both programs there's nothing USC can offer me that GWU can't. The only thing that shook my decision to go to GWU, was that faculty at the USC event kept mentioning that LA and California have such a strong Trojan network. On the flip side GWU does have a strong network in CA (obviously not as strong as USC). But I feel as though if I were to attend GWU, I would bring back a unique work experience and knowledge to L.A (as of now I don't see myself staying in DC permanently, I do have plans to come back to LA).

Seriously speaking if I were to go to USC, it would just be for the name and network. More factors drive me to DC however. GWU tuition is 70K by the way while USC is 8ok, so though cost of living in DC is high, i feel like it would balance out. I didn't receive any scholarship or grant from either school either :-/.

Got into UNC-Chapel Hill's MHA program...!!! Finally time to rejoice...!!!:soexcited:

Reactions: 4 users
I submitted directly to Missouri via its portal on November 2nd. On or about December 11th they told me they wanted to interview.

I interviewed with them on January 8th and was told I could expect to hear something in 1-2 weeks. No word as of yet. A full description of the interview can be found further up on this thread...
I have got an acceptance of Mizzou ,nybody else who has been accepted...how is d program and placements

This is my first time posting on here but I have been following for a while. I was also accepted to Mizzou for Fall 2015. Did you receive any information regarding financial aid and/or when you need to make your decision? When I was accepted to the University of Utah they sent me a packet that contained financial aid information among other things.
Hey I have been accepted....by Mizzou for fall....I have d same questions ny info?

Hi
I am an international doctor and applied for physician masters program and got accepted in auburn university pemba program.
Anyone has any information about this university and looking for future career guidance as planning to get in the fellowship after completion of program.

Thank you for your response. Very informative and insightful seeing that I haven't visited DC and wasn't able to attend GWU's preview day. I am leaning more towards GWU, I live about an hour from USC so like you yes it would be the safest/most comfortable option for me, but I want to step out of my comfort zone to be honest. When i step back and look at both programs there's nothing USC can offer me that GWU can't. The only thing that shook my decision to go to GWU, was that faculty at the USC event kept mentioning that LA and California have such a strong Trojan network. On the flip side GWU does have a strong network in CA (obviously not as strong as USC). But I feel as though if I were to attend GWU, I would bring back a unique work experience and knowledge to L.A (as of now I don't see myself staying in DC permanently, I do have plans to come back to LA).

Seriously speaking if I were to go to USC, it would just be for the name and network. More factors drive me to DC however. GWU tuition is 70K by the way while USC is 8ok, so though cost of living in DC is high, i feel like it would balance out. I didn't receive any scholarship or grant from either school either :-/.

I'm really still wavering back and forth. I was wondering, since you attended the official admit day at USC, did you feel the alumni and current student panels were helpful in terms of really providing insight into career placement, hiring trends and the general hiring environment? Did the general career prospects seem positive? Though DC makes sense, I feel like I might just have to bite the bullet and go with the higher price tag of USC if I ultimately want to return to the west coast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really still wavering back and forth. I was wondering, since you attended the official admit day at USC, did you feel the alumni and current student panels were helpful in terms of really providing insight into career placement, hiring trends and the general hiring environment? Did the general career prospects seem positive? Though DC makes sense, I feel like I might just have to bite the bullet and go with the higher price tag of USC if I ultimately want to return to the west coast.
Yes to awnser your question , the USC event touched on all those topics in full, including current students and alumni. It definately seems like a GREAT institution and I don't think u'de regret your choice

Hello everyone. I've been on his forum for a few hours and figured I'd join in the conversation.

I went to Tulane for undergrad in Business Management.

I applied and was just accepted to Tulane's MHA program. It was the only program to which I applied.

My undergrad GPA was 3.15 and I scored 158 verbal, 156 Quant and 4.5 analytical.

If anyone has any questions about the MHA program I'll be happy to answer as best as I can from the tours and visits etc that I have done.

Good luck to everyone and I am happy to be a part of this forum!

Anyone accept OSU's MHA admissions offer?

Did anyone else get a call from Dr. Ference at Columbia? He's a prof and I think the program director of the MHA program.

I was almost set on Yale for the small classes and individual attention from faculty, but through the conversation I really got a sense that he knew his students exceptionally well and seemed to genuinely take an interest in where his students are going. It really threw me off considering Columbia had quite the reputation for inaccessible faculty. Do they get faculty to call admitted students every year?

Ultimately I'm hoping to go into healthcare consulting and potentially pursuing a law degree after. Any thoughts on which program may be more suited?

Officially accepted an offer from JHU! Attended Admit Day this past week and was thoroughly impressed by the students, faculty, and above all the incredible resources available to students. If anyone else intends to go there, do let me know!
Congratulations!

I accepted! Are you still deciding?

I accepted awhile back. I'm from California so I am just trying to figure out what it will be like to live in Columbus. Any thoughts?

Does anyone know if USC is still offering seats for the fall? I applied about a week ago and was wondering what the time frame was for hearing back

Accepted to and attending the University of Florida (MHA Fall 2015). If anyone on this forum is attending UF or knows someones who is attending UF please pm me your contact info/email or your friends contact info/email.

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances! Some real top applicants out there!

Good luck on the upcoming school year!

Thank you

Reactions: 3 users
I got into Trinity, anyone else going?

Reactions: 1 users
Decided on Hopkins! Had a great time meeting the students, Teresa, etc at Admitted Students Day. Can't wait to meet some of you in Baltimore in the fall!

I will be going to Hopkins this fall! I had a great experience visiting the program and love the one-year residency component of the program. I can't wait to meet everyone!

I'm interviewing at Trinity soon. How was it?
Hey ebuck,

Trinity is absolutely amazing. To start, their reputation is carried throughout the nation by some of the most respected and most highly payed executives. Within the state, the school's recognition is extremely high and everyone in healthcare wants to meet you when they find out you are attending Trinity. For some background, I grew up in Texas and my father is a physician in DFW. When I started asking the CEO of his hospital and his business partners where the best place to receive an MHA from is, they all said Trinity. The school's culture seems small and very cohesive. It is the kind of place where you call your classmates for a job when it's time for a career change and you have an interview the following week. There are however a few downsides, namely the price. However, judging by some of the alumni's total compensation packages of $500,000 to 5m+, I don't think it's too big of a deal. Also, they seem to be adding a ton of consulting companies to the year long residency options list and nearly half of last years class is considering industry/consulting jobs.

If you need more info let me know,
Gielinor

Last edited:
School: MGM Medical College, India.
GPA: Cumulative and Major - 3.25/4 (WES)
GRE: 313 - 158 Q 155 V
Major: MBBS
Applied: Johns Hopkins, VCU, NYU Wagner, UNC Chapel Hill, Hofstra,
Interview: UNC Chapel Hill (04/02/15)
Waitlist:
Rejected: JHU, VCU, NYU Wagner.
Accepted: UNC Chapel Hill, Hofstra
Attending: UNC Chapel Hill

Anyone who is attending the MHA program fall 15 at UNC Chapel Hill???

Everyone please update all your stats, dates, scores, %, and most importantly where you are attending. This will help everyone make cohort facebook groups.

GO with columbia, youll have more fun, either way you will end up with similar options, but you wont have to live in Ithaca

GO with columbia, youll have more fun, either way you will end up with similar options, but you wont have to live in Ithaca

Thanks for your response MHA1234! I keep on hearing that from all of my friends and colleagues... > ___ <

Cornell would have a stronger business focus than Columbia, which seems like what you are looking for ultimately.

Just visited USC last week. Was only around campus for a few hours, but it was incredible. I loved the city, the school, and the people. Can't wait to move to LA

Just visited USC last week. Was only around campus for a few hours, but it was incredible. I loved the city, the school, and the people. Can't wait to move to LA
Ill be seeing you this coming year then! cant wait to meet you and the rest of the cohort. there's a FB group for us that's already started, message me if youre interested.

heyy does anyone know about the univ of north texas (UNTHSC) MHA prog? how is the school and its placement opportunities.

School: Binghamton University
GPA: Cumulative and Major - 3.6
GRE: Verbal-152 Quant-155 Write - 4.5
Major: English (Minor - MGMT)
Applied: Columbia. NYU, CUNY Baruch (All on 4/14)
Interview: CUNY Baruch (4/23)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Still waiting on NYU and Columbia. I applied to all part time programs. Does any one have any info on how long these schools take to decide? Has anyone been accepted for part time for Fall 2015?

Any info would be much appreciated

I was notified about being put on the waiting list for Columbia's part-time MHA earlier this week after a phone interview on Monday.

School: University of Alabama
GPA: Cumulative and Major - 3.9
GRE: Verbal-155 Quant-145 Write - 3.5
Major: Public Health
Applied: UAB, Trinity, UCF, USF, TX State
Interview:
Waitlist:
Rejected: UAB
Accepted:
Attending:

Hey y'all…I saw a few people applied to Trinity. Did anyone else apply to Texas State, UCF, USF, or even UNF?
Also, those of you that applied to Trinity, did you have to go through an interview process?

Undergrad School: University of South Florida
Undergrad GPA: 3.7
GRE: V-152 , Q-156
Applied:
USF, UCF, UF
Interview: UF (4/6)
Accepted: USF, UCF, UF (Deferred admission for fall 2016)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Attending: UF!!!

Interview:
Waitlist:
Accepted:
Attending:

Hey y'all…I saw a few people applied to Trinity. Did anyone else apply to Texas State, UCF, USF, or even UNF?
Also, those of you that applied to Trinity, did you have to go through an interview process?

My undergraduate degree is from USF where we have a pretty highly ranked College of Public Health that technically houses the MHA program. However, there are too many question marks around the program to consider it when you have other options. Only two people graduated from the program this semester. I love my school and would recommend it without a doubt for undergraduate study or an MPH.

I applied to and was accepted at UNF
Interview:
Waitlist:
Accepted:
Attending:

My undergraduate degree is from USF where we have a pretty highly ranked College of Public Health that technically houses the MHA program. However, there are too many question marks around the program to consider it when you have other options. Only two people graduated from the program this semester. I love my school and would recommend it without a doubt for undergraduate study or an MPH.

Thank you for sharing that. I am shocked that only two graduated this semester…that does gives me a little more perspective about their MHA program. Thank you!

Hi All,

I am a current student at UW. I'm originally from CA, so if anyone has questions either about the program or moving, I'm happy to oblige.

Interview:
Waitlist:
Accepted:
Attending:

I was accepted to Texas State about a month ago and UCF in December. I will be attending Texas State. If you have any questions let me know.

Interview:
Waitlist:
Accepted:
Attending:

Yes, Trinity has a four part interview process. You meet with 2 faculty members, 1 staff member, and have a student interview.