MHA Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! I've been calling them and asking about the status of my app! I submitted my app towards the end of October so I could meet the dec 15 scholarship deadline! When did u submit your app?
I submitted it in early December. It might take time to get the mail correspondence. I actually got an e-mail informing me of the decision the same day I got the packet.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all. I've been lurking around this forum too long without posting. Sorry for the delay. (Updated)

School: State school relatively unknown outside the Pacific Northwest
GPA: 3.64 cumulative, 3.79 major
GRE: 165 verbal, 162 quant, 4.5 analytical
Major: Economics/Political Science
Applied: 11/3 (University of Washington), 11/30 (Minnesota, USC), 12/13 (Michigan), 1/6 (Pitt)
Interview: 2/3 (Michigan), 2/10 (Minnesota)
Waitlist:
Rejected: Washington (12/16)
Accepted: Pitt (1/15), Michigan (2/8), USC (2/12 with Merit Scholarship), Minnesota (2/19)
Attending: Don't know yet!

Good luck on all upcoming interviews and decisions, everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I got accepted to USC today. So excited! received the merit scholarship. I am beyond happy. :soexcited:
Congrats!! Did they indicated that you got a scholarship on the website or did you get a separate package?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! Did they indicated that you got a scholarship on the website or did you get a separate package?
The website was a general e-mail saying I got accepted. The scholarship came in the package!

Yale's grading system - from what I read, they do not give GPA. Will that be a disadvantage if I want to get another degree after MHA?

I was accepted on 1/13 and found out about financial aid about three weeks later
Wohoo! How long did it take for OSU to send you the financial aid information after the admission decision?

Why OSU over SLU?
The one thing that drew me to Saint Louis was their health care market. They have four health systems and two academic med centers, providing plenty of experience opportunities (At this point I don't really have an interest in consulting). SLU is a great program with great faculty, and I see that you got a GRA position, which is awesome! I received merit scholarships from both institutions, which made my decision more difficult. But it eventually came down to cost and how much I like Columbus over STL. I think the OSU and SLU MHA programs are too similar to justify giving up in-state tuition plus scholarship from OSU. In addition, I have a field-related job at a local hospital in Central Ohio that offers tuition assistance and is allowing me to shift to part time when classes begin.

Reactions: 1 users
The one thing that drew me to Saint Louis was their health care market. They have four health systems and two academic med centers, providing plenty of experience opportunities (At this point I don't really have an interest in consulting). SLU is a great program with great faculty, and I see that you got a GRA position, which is awesome! I received merit scholarships from both institutions, which made my decision more difficult. But it eventually came down to cost and how much I like Columbus over STL. I think the OSU and SLU MHA programs are too similar to justify giving up in-state tuition plus scholarship from OSU. In addition, I have a field-related job at a local hospital in Central Ohio that offers tuition assistance and is allowing me to shift to part time when classes begin.
Lol after reading this thorough explanation I would have chose OSU to! You definately did your homework lol! Lol congrats

Yeah that makes a lot of sense then. I did my undergrad at OSU, but for me to do the MHA program there it would have cost me an extra semester of pre req classes and I did not want to spend extra time doing that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when UNC or UMich will be making scholarship notifications? I have one secured for Minnesota, but want to hear from the other two before making my decision. I didn't expect to get into all three schools and am having a really hard time choosing. All three gave me a nice interview experience, and I could manage going to any of them It's just a matter of whether price (MN), ranking (MI), or location (NC) matter most to me. Any advice??

Congrats on the acceptances to both! What's your stats, le_93? If you don't mind me asking - I haven't seen you post any on the forum. As for an opinion... mine is well documented in the beginning threads of this discussion. Both are fine options, one is near the top of the list for a media company ranking of Top MHA programs and the other at the pinnacle of medicine to the known World. A lot sounds good on paper and in theory but Hopkins has put it to practice to become what they are. If you have healthcare experience in an administrative or finance capacity, you know what a challenging time it is for the industry. Why does this matter in terms of your graduate program choice? Lookup these two terms: Global Budget Revenue (GBR) and HSCRC. If you want to be proficient in what is likely to come to the rest of the country, MD is the guinea pig. It is the test tube for the DHHS and is granted a special Medicare/Medicaid waiver to self-govern via a commission known as the HSCRC who utilizes GBR to manage costs in an all-payor system. They are granted this waiver because they consistently outperform national metrics - that has alot to do with why many health systems and providers look to Hopkins. Will you get full exposure to this in a graduate MHA degree? No, but what you will get is exposure to the lessons learned of an institute that is not just surviving but thriving. If you are in healthcare, this is where you want to be.... if not for the name, then for the experience and the relationships. One man's OPINION. Either way, you are in a great position having options - many here and numerous others (for a variety of reasons), unfortunately, do not. Good luck on your decision.

Reactions: 1 users
its almost 4 months since i submitted my application at JHU ,even ppl who have applied after me have received accpetance/rejection. Is there anyone on the same boat here? i have no idea what i should be expecting at this point. hopefully if they keep you waiting this long its for a positive decision :p ...cant be optimistic enough

its almost 4 months since i submitted my application at JHU ,even ppl who have applied after me have received accpetance/rejection. Is there anyone on the same boat here? i have no idea what i should be expecting at this point. hopefully if they keep you waiting this long its for a positive decision :p ...cant be optimistic enough
Four months?! When did you submit your application? I haven't heard anything from Hopkins since December 8 when they said my application was complete. Im pretty sure I didnt get on based on my stats, but it would be nice for them to go ahead and send me a rejection. Also, being that they do interviews and I saw a ton of people being interviewed at the tale end of last year and early January this year, that also led me to believe I didnt get in. If your stats were competitive and you think you may have gotten in the only reason I could see you not hearing back is if they are waiting on the people they are more "sure" about to accept/reject the offer. Its a highly sought after program & I just cant see them doing interviews this late still unless they have people on the " unofficial waitlist" to fill spots for those who decline.

applied on 22 oct and application was forwarded to dept on 27th oct. that could be one possible explanation, except i believe you have until mid april to accept their admission offer, so hard chance they'd be waiting to fill declined spots this soon. Also they send out invites for the interview again in march, as i gather from last years thread.

Just received news from University of Missouri about a GRA position. Covers full tuition with a stipend. Now I am stuck between SLU and MIZZOU. SLU would cost me an extra 30k even with the GRA I received. Is the program ranking of SLU worth 30k? I am currently leaning towards no, but wanted to see what everyone else's thoughts were.

Have you attempted contacting the program? Your waiting period seems to be exceptionally long!

I submitted 2nd week of December, interviewed the following week, and was offered admission the week after.

Just received news from University of Missouri about a GRA position. Covers full tuition with a stipend. Now I am stuck between SLU and MIZZOU. SLU would cost me an extra 30k even with the GRA I received. Is the program ranking of SLU worth 30k? I am currently leaning towards no, but wanted to see what everyone else's thoughts were.

I don't think 30K should discourage you from entering a top 10 program. Your graduate school career is a huge stepping stone for your first job opportunity. Given that starting platform, the extra 30K will be negligible in comparison to the doors SLU will open up for you. Just my opinion!

For those curious about the UMich Visit Day:

Aside from the frigid weather, I had a pleasant experience at visit day. You truly get the feeling that the faculty cares about their students! Both current students and faculty were friendly and accessible for questions throughout the day. A few things that set Michigan apart from other visit days: 1) Sitting in on an actual class to better understand classroom dynamics and 2) A mini case competition amongst prospective student (it's not as intimidating as it sounds).

The program has a terrific track record for being the #1 program in the country, and they truly believe in a balance between policy and management, as reflected by their comprehensive course list. However, I was a bit surprised to learn that the MPH and MHSA programs differ by only 2 classes.

With a long tradition of excellence in HMP, a comprehensive research agenda, and receptive faculty members (they work with students to refine the curriculum), Michigan has a terrific program– just make sure you are prepared for brutal winters!

applied on 22 oct and application was forwarded to dept on 27th oct. that could be one possible explanation, except i believe you have until mid april to accept their admission offer, so hard chance they'd be waiting to fill declined spots this soon. Also they send out invites for the interview again in march, as i gather from last years thread.
Hmmm. I wonder why it took so long to forward your app. my app was completed and I got the notification it was forwarded on the same day. are they your top choice? I second possibly inquiring about your status within the next couple weeks just to make sure there is nothing awry on their end.

I wrote to gilbert morgan, he replied that decisions will be given out from mid to end Feb. Also wrote to Teresa regarding the application but got no response.
Is there any international applicant here who got admited?

@Bane13 Thank you very much for your insight! I was previously leaning in the direction of JHU beforehand and it looks as though I will be attending. I have an interview coming up with UMich, so that may affect my plans, but otherwise I am pretty much set on living in Baltimore.

For anyone that was curious, here are my stats, feel free to message me if you have any questions:

School: Smaller, Liberal Arts College (About 6,000 students)
GPA: 3.5 Cumulative, 3.3 Major
GRE: 159 Verbal, 158 Quant, 5.0 Writing
Major: Biology (Former Pred-med), Public Health Minor

Applied: UNC Chapel Hill, Columbia, Cornell, UMich, JHU
Interview: UNC (2/16) Columbia (1/5) Cornell (1/25) JHU (1/26) UMich (To be scheduled)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: UNC (2/19) Columbia (2/8) JHU (2/10) Cornell (2/9)
Attending: ????

Congratulations. I don't know if SLU is $30K better than Mizzou, as Mizzou's program is also ranked and well regarded. In the end, there are only two things you really need:

1. For a program to prepare you for a professional opportunity, and...

2. A firm belief that a program's internship, faculty and alumni network will give you that opportunity.

Both these programs meet these requirements.

Cost notwithstanding, the locales might also be a factor for you. Columbia is the quintessential college town and Mizzou has a great football program and a gorgeous campus, so if you're into that sort of thing...

St. Louis is a city and thus has everything that comes with a city: pro sports teams, museums, traffic... There's some overlap between the two schools but also some significant differences. Have fun deciding, I don't think you can lose with either one...

Congratulations. I don't know if SLU is $30K better than Mizzou, as Mizzou's program is also ranked and well regarded. In the end, there are only two things you really need:

1. For a program to prepare you for a professional opportunity, and...

2. A firm belief that a program's internship, faculty and alumni network will give you that opportunity.

Both these programs meet these requirements.

Cost notwithstanding, the locales might also be a factor for you. Columbia is the quintessential college town and Mizzou has a great football program and a gorgeous campus, so if you're into that sort of thing...

St. Louis is a city and thus has everything that comes with a city: pro sports teams, museums, traffic... There's some overlap between the two schools but also some significant differences. Have fun deciding, I don't think you can lose with either one...

I appreciate the advice! It looks like I will be going with Mizzou after doing a bit more research. In my eyes both programs are well regarded and will offer me plenty of opportunities through internship, faculty, and alumni. The campus was just the cherry on top.

Any thoughts on South Carolina vs. Tulane? Still waiting to hear back from Southern Cal, but I feel like the cost there will just be too much even if I am accepted.

Admitted to UNC today! I've narrowed down my choices to UNC and JHU, two very (very) different programs. I would very much appreciate some outside thoughts on each of these programs!

Did anyone confirm going to USC (southern california) yet?

I submitted my application by the Dec. 15 deadline and heard back mid-February, including scholarship info. Though, they're deadline is still July so I imagine they have a lot of leeway of announcing decisions.

I submitted my application by the Dec. 15 deadline and heard back mid-February, including scholarship info. Though, they're deadline is still July so I imagine they have a lot of leeway of announcing decisions.
Thanks for the reply! I already received all that information mid-feb as well. I was wondering if anyone officially joined the class of 2017 yet so I can create a fb group :)

today completes 4 months of submitting my application, called up HPM department at JHU to inquire about the status, was diverted to answering machine. its march already...dunno if its reasonable to expect much now

Thanks for the reply! I already received all that information mid-feb as well. I was wondering if anyone officially joined the class of 2017 yet so I can create a fb group :)

Ohh, I see now. Haven't heard much from people going to USC on this thread. Hope it goes well.

Anyone know if its possible to transfer from a Columbia MHA to an MPH?

Hi All,
I'm a long time lurker. I'm trying to decide between UNC (MHA) and Yale (MPH-HCM). Any thoughts? I haven't read much of a discussion on UNC this year's thread. And has anyone heard about financial aid for either of these schools? How common is it to get need and merit based aid?

now that most of the decisions are out, have any of you decided on the school you will be attending? itll be great to know what school each is going to and also if you have shortlisted down to two schools that ud most likely attend.

now that most of the decisions are out, have any of you decided on the school you will be attending? itll be great to know what school each is going to and also if you have shortlisted down to two schools that ud most likely attend.
USC (Southern cali), submitted by intent to enroll a week ago

Paid my deposit for Minnesota last weekend.

Narrowed down to JHU and UNC; attending Admit Day for Hopkins this month before making a final decision.

Nothing from USC so far. They said that all of my materials were under review and that I should hear back at the end of February or early March.

Nothing from USC so far. They said that all of my materials were under review and that I should hear back at the end of February or early March.

That's what they told me too, the wait is very annoying though lol, I'm beginning to think I didn't get in. Have you gotten admissions into any other schools

That's what they told me too, the wait is very annoying though lol, I'm beginning to think I didn't get in. Have you gotten admissions into any other schools
Only Tulane so far

Hi everyone!

School: University of Southern California
GPA: 3.7
GRE: V-168, Q-155, A-4.0
Major: BS in Global Health
Applied: Columbia, George Washington, UAB, VCU, USC, UCLA (MPH), Yale (MPH)
Interview: Columbia (1/15), GW (2/13), UAB (3/13), VCU (2/20), (USC doesn't have one)
Waitlist: NA
Rejected: UCLA
Accepted: Columbia, George Washington, VCU with scholarship, USC with scholarship
Attending: I am not sure yet!

Accepted to UMich and UMN! Decision of which to attend will be either UMich, UMN, and Hopkins. Happy with my options! :)

Has anyone, perhaps those with earlier admission decisions, received information on merit-based awards for UMich and UMN? If yes, how long after your decision did you find out?

Accepted to UMich and UMN! Decision of which to attend will be either UMich, UMN, and Hopkins. Happy with my options! :)

Has anyone, perhaps those with earlier admission decisions, received information on merit-based awards for UMich and UMN? If yes, how long after your decision did you find out?

I found about my UMN merit award about a week after the decision, Michigan maybe 3 weeks after.