MHA Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got accepted to UNC Chapel Hill.Will be attending the same as it is the only school I applied to :).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I found about my UMN merit award about a week after the decision, Michigan maybe 3 weeks after.
I received a notification from UMich's office of financial aid today. Is that how you found out about your merit award, or are they done separately?

I received a notification from UMich's office of financial aid today. Is that how you found out about your merit award, or are they done separately?
I was notified through an e-mail from the school of public health.

Hi guys,

I've heard that the AW section isn't given as much weight and I wanted to hear your thoughts about that (whether there is any truth to that at all).

Last edited by a moderator:
Accepted to USC, but found out today and haven't heard anything about any sort of scholarship offer. Total cost of the program is around $80,000. It is an incredible school and a great opportunity, so someone please persuade me to bite the bullet and pay for it!

Reactions: 2 users
Ugh UMich offered me 1500/semster in work-study. Doubt I'll be going there.

Hi guys,

I've heard that the AW section isn't given as much weight and I wanted to hear your thoughts about that (whether there is any truth to that at all).

I think that is correct. At least true if you do well in the other two sections.

School: The University of Alabama
GPA: 3.5
GRE: 305
Applied: Saint Louis University, Memphis, USC (California), University of Kentucky, SMU (MBA), Texas A&M
Rejected: None
Accepted:Saint Louis University, Memphis, University of Kentucky, SMU, Texas A&M

Has anyone heard from USC yet?? It's my number one and I am pretty eager to get a response from them.

What are my chances at Umich with a 690 GMAT and 3.4 GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
After taking a look at the new rankings, what are your opinions on UAB vs UNC? I would receive in-state tuition at UAB, but I was set on UNC beforehand.

I was accepted with a 650, 3.4 (SOPHAS). Check out my first post for other things I was involved with. Gmat and GPA is defintely not everything.

Applied: Saint Louis University, Memphis, USC (California), University of Kentucky, SMU (MBA), Texas A&M
Accepted:Saint Louis University, Memphis, University of Kentucky, SMU, Texas A&M

Has anyone heard from USC yet?? It's my number one and I am pretty eager to get a response from them.

Heard from USC mid February including scholarship info. Applied by dec.15 priority deadline.

Hey, does anyone know if Michigan's visit date has passed and if so, if there's another one? Or if a scheduled visit would be helpful? I haven't gotten a reply from anyone in the office and would like to see campus.

Also did anyone else notice that Yale just fell off of the new Healthcare Management rankings? Do you think that they're just not categorized in that thread anymore or just got worse? As a prospective students, it's just kind of unnerving haha.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Hey, does anyone know if Michigan's visit date has passed and if so, if there's another one? Or if a scheduled visit would be helpful? I haven't gotten a reply from anyone in the office and would like to see campus.

Also did anyone else notice that Yale just fell off of the new Healthcare Management rankings? Do you think that they're just not categorized in that thread anymore or just got worse? As a prospective students, it's just kind of unnerving haha.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Yale is no longer on the list because they lost their CAHME accreditation (Yale said they decided not to peruse the CAHME re-accreditation process).

After taking a look at the new rankings, what are your opinions on UAB vs UNC? I would receive in-state tuition at UAB, but I was set on UNC beforehand.
Employers aren't going to care, I promise. Both are good schools. If you want the deep south after graduation (AL, MS, etc) go to UAB, if you want the east coast UNC would be better.

Yale is no longer on the list because they lost their CAHME accreditation (Yale said they decided not to peruse the CAHME re-accreditation process).

Do you think it's going to make a negative impact on employment post graduation?

Another longtime lurker here guys - given the new rankings, any thoughts/opinions/general musings/etc. on USC vs. Georgetown beyond regional preference?

Do you think it's going to make a negative impact on employment post graduation?

Yale is Yale... nothing else will need to be said. There Public Health ranking is still solid (14th), which is where the program is housed.

You should contact Yale, and ask them yourself... maybe speak with a student.

Couple thoughts:
1. Rankings are not everything. If you look at the number one ranked UM - Ann Arbor (scored 4.4) to Rush (ranked 5 and scored 4.0), you should remember rankings are an ordinal measurement, whereas the score is an interval measurement... meaning UM and Rush are ranked 5 places apart, but only have a score of .4 difference on a scale from 1-5. What I'm trying to say is how much of a true educational difference comes from a difference of .4? Even when you look at University of Iowa (ranked 10th with a score of 3.5) compared to UM...that's a difference in score of .9.

2. More specifically about Yale - in my humble opinion... no. I think if you go to an institution like that, rankings will not matter. I doubt during an interview an employer will say well Yale is off the rankings this year, you're not going to get the job.

Yale is Yale... nothing else will need to be said. There Public Health ranking is still solid (14th), which is where the program is housed.

Couple thoughts:
1. Rankings are not everything. If you look at the number one ranked UM - Ann Arbor (scored 4.4) to Rush (ranked 5 and scored 4.0), you should remember rankings are an ordinal measurement, whereas the score is an interval measurement... meaning UM and Rush are ranked 5 places apart, but only have a score of .4 difference on a scale from 1-5. What I'm trying to say is how much of a true educational difference comes from a difference of .4? Even when you look at University of Iowa (ranked 10th with a score of 3.5) compared to UM...that's a difference in score of .9.

2. More specifically about Yale - in my humble opinion... no. I think if you go to an institution like that, rankings will not matter. I doubt during an interview an employer will say well Yale is off the rankings this year, you're not going to get the job.

I completely agree with you. Ranking is a waste of time when it comes to Ivy league schools..lol
What I was getting at is the CAHME accreditation. Is that going to affect me getting jobs at hospitals or fellowships? I don't know how much the accreditation plays a role in hiring.

Many (all?) administrative fellowships require you to come from a CAHME school. Doesn't matter for consulting.

Many (all?) administrative fellowships require you to come from a CAHME school. Doesn't matter for consulting.
I wouldn't say that's the case...

Go to ACHE's fellowship listing and search them... I found only a handful require CAHME accreditation... many posting listed CEPH accreditation as sufficient. There were some that did specifically list CAHME only.

http://www.ache.org/postgrad/directory.cfm?

I encourage you to look into this yourself.. perhaps email Yale.

Most schools emphasize a holistic approach in describing their admissions process. I think you can be reasonably confident the more prestigious programs like UMich truly do follow one, given the better applicant pools they have to work with.

I did a lot of research before applying, and came away with the impression that, while a low GPA and GMAT can possibly disqualify you, high scores - by themselves - won't get your ticket punched. The combination of essays, recommendations and the interview (if done) are much more important.

The GPA and GMAT speak to one's academic knowledge and aptitude. The essays, etc. describe the person. Admissions committees value the latter a lot more. There's no point in bringing a 40 pound brain on board if they can't be part of a team or work with a professor.

The best way I've heard it described is that no one thing will get you in or keep you out. UMich seems to favor well rounded people who are able to think on their feet and work with others. Good luck...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Most schools emphasize a holistic approach in describing their admissions process. I think you can be reasonably confident the more prestigious programs like UMich truly do follow one, given the better applicant pools they have to work with.

I did a lot of research before applying, and came away with the impression that, while a low GPA and GMAT can possibly disqualify you, high scores - by themselves - won't get your ticket punched. The combination of essays, recommendations and the interview (if done) are much more important.

The GPA and GMAT speak to one's academic knowledge and aptitude. The essays, etc. describe the person. Admissions committees value the latter a lot more. There's no point in bringing a 40 pound brain on board if they can't be part of a team or work with a professor.

The best way I've heard it described is that no one thing will get you in or keep you out. UMich seems to favor well rounded people who are able to think on their feet and work with others. Good luck...

That makes sense.

I couldn't agree more with this. I feel like the GRE or GMAT will not get you in to a school, but it can definitely keep you out. Standardized test scores, whether high or low, can show if your GPA is truly indicative of your academic ability.

I would also say to not underestimate the interview portion of any process. Just like in any field, your scores and academic achievement can get you an interview, but if you are a nervous wreck and don't deliver yourself in a professional manner, you shoot yourself in the foot pretty quick.

Viejo89 hits the nail on the head with his assessment, though! :thumbup:

Couple thoughts:

Thanks, bcmdnc! I guess my initial concern just came from the disappearance of the school, but the reasoning for that makes sense. I'm trying to decide between Yale, UMich, Georgetown, and Colombia, and I thought rankings would have some insight into post-graduation job placement, but it doesn't seem like there's a place that compares that. Does anyone have any insight on this?? Or any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Back to the rankings thing though - out of curiosity, I actually looked into rankings methodology, and it seemed like the numbers were purely based on peer reviews (having faculty, alumni, other organizations rank each school 1-5). That just screams subjectivity to me and wish that US News took a more fact-based approach to this.

Looking at the class demographic of MPH programs, it seems that the vast majority of students are women. As a male applicant, are my chances better or worse?

Accepted to USC, but found out today and haven't heard anything about any sort of scholarship offer. Total cost of the program is around $80,000. It is an incredible school and a great opportunity, so someone please persuade me to bite the bullet and pay for it!

You finally heard back!! Congrats ! Are U going ?

You finally heard back!! Congrats ! Are U going ?
I visit South Carolina next week. If I don't feel like it's the place for me, then I'm going to go to the USC admitted students day on the 30th. The price tag of California is just killing me.

I visit South Carolina next week. If I don't feel like it's the place for me, then I'm going to go to the USC admitted students day on the 30th. The price tag of California is just killing me.

I got into USC !! Got the email today ! Now I have to decide between them and GWU :-/

School: Ferris State University (Small University in Michigan)
GPA: 3.35
GRE:150 Verbal 153 Quantitative
Major: Health Care Systems Administration
Applied: University of Southern California, UIC, University of South Carolina, and OSU
Interview: University of South Carolina
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: University of Southern California, University of South Carolina, UIC.
Attending: Either UIC or University of Southern California.

I was accepted back on 1/16 to UIC and had sent in a deferral request to start in Fall of 2016. My heart was set to move to Chicago for a year so I could establish as an Illinois resident and receive in state tuition for the following year, then I received my acceptance letter to USC on 3/20 and now I am not sure what to do. USC was always my top school and with a lower GPA and GRE score I didn't think there was a chance for me to get in.

Anyone have any input on either school that would help me make a final decision?

Thanks in Advance!

Hi! I am a senior at Washington University in St. Louis, and I applied to the University of Miami MPH program and was wondering if anyone else has applied/ knows anything about how competitive their program is? I am super stressed about it and anyone who could give any insight would be much appreciated!
Gpa: 3.70
GRE: verbal: 162 q:156 w:4
Bio/Spanish double major, Public Health Minor
-work in a clinic as a translator for spanish speaking patients (3 yrs)
-worked in a clinic translating and assisting in programs in rural Peru (1 month)
-shadowed neonatologist in Madrid (6 mo)
-published in Nature magazine as a co-author on a paper due to research work i did in a lab at washu med school (3 yrs)

School: Ferris State University (Small University in Michigan)
GPA: 3.35
GRE:150 Verbal 153 Quantitative
Major: Health Care Systems Administration
Applied: University of Southern California, UIC, University of South Carolina, and OSU
Interview: University of South Carolina
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: University of Southern California, University of South Carolina, UIC.
Attending: Either UIC or University of Southern California.

I was accepted back on 1/16 to UIC and had sent in a deferral request to start in Fall of 2016. My heart was set to move to Chicago for a year so I could establish as an Illinois resident and receive in state tuition for the following year, then I received my acceptance letter to USC on 3/20 and now I am not sure what to do. USC was always my top school and with a lower GPA and GRE score I didn't think there was a chance for me to get in.

Anyone have any input on either school that would help me make a final decision?

Thanks in Advance!

When did you hear back from South Carolina? I had my interview earlier this month and the Program Director told me he'd get back to me by the following week. But he just emailed me again on Monday saying there was a problem with SOPHAS and they just found another batch of applications they didn't see before so now it will take longer. I also got into USC as well, so I'm trying to make some of the same decisions as you. I don't know much about UIC, USC would definitely have better weather than UIC, however it might cost a bit more, but on the US News rankings USC is ranked quite higher than UIC, and probably has a stronger alumni network. Health Care is a very relationship driven industry so having a strong alumni network is a key aspect you should consider.

Thanks for the reply! I already received all that information mid-feb as well. I was wondering if anyone officially joined the class of 2017 yet so I can create a fb group :)

Did you ever create this fb group? I was accepted and haven't made my decision yet so it would be nice to talk to students to have made the decision about why they did so and other things such as living areas what not.

Has anyone who was admitted to UNC's MHA received any info/emails from them since being admitted?

When did you hear back from South Carolina? I had my interview earlier this month and the Program Director told me he'd get back to me by the following week. But he just emailed me again on Monday saying there was a problem with SOPHAS and they just found another batch of applications they didn't see before so now it will take longer. I also got into USC as well, so I'm trying to make some of the same decisions as you. I don't know much about UIC, USC would definitely have better weather than UIC, however it might cost a bit more, but on the US News rankings USC is ranked quite higher than UIC, and probably has a stronger alumni network. Health Care is a very relationship driven industry so having a strong alumni network is a key aspect you should consider.
I ended up hearing back from SoCar on 3/5. But I was in touch with them early because I was concerned that I had been accepted to UIC and SoCar still hadn't received my application.

So I think I've decided that I am going to attend USC. It is going to be expensive and I know that I am going to be paying for it for a long time, but the experience and the education are worth it in my opinion. I'm not crazy am I?

How was the Texas A&M interview and how long did the whole process take?

How was the Texas A&M interview and how long did the whole process take?

Did you ever create this fb group? I was accepted and haven't made my decision yet so it would be nice to talk to students to have made the decision about why they did so and other things such as living areas what not.
I have not. I can! but nobody got back to me, so I didn't want to be the only one in a group. Besides, I cant even create one without another member ready to join! FB wont allow it! but now there are three of us in here, so I can!

So I think I've decided that I am going to attend USC. It is going to be expensive and I know that I am going to be paying for it for a long time, but the experience and the education are worth it in my opinion. I'm not crazy am I?
If you're crazy then so am I because I am leaning towards the same direction.

I have not. I can! but nobody got back to me, so I didn't want to be the only one in a group. Besides, I cant even create one without another member ready to join! FB wont allow it! but now there are three of us in here, so I can!
I'm down as well!

Officially accepted an offer from JHU! Attended Admit Day this past week and was thoroughly impressed by the students, faculty, and above all the incredible resources available to students. If anyone else intends to go there, do let me know!

Let me know how the admitted students day goes today. I wasn't able to go because the travel expenses were too high for me with the short notice, and I already visited the campus and spoke to an advisor last summer.

Who's going to the usc admitted students day today ?!?! See you there ! :)