MHA Fall 2016: Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What's been the toughest part of the application process for everyone?

My first GRE score was just ok and I spent a few long months studying nothing but math. That was by far the most difficult part. I did get the score I was looking for, but it means I got my applications in later than I wanted, just a week ago.

My first GRE score was just ok and I spent a few long months studying nothing but math. That was by far the most difficult part. I did get the score I was looking for, but it means I got my applications in later than I wanted, just a week ago.
Have you looked for any online sources to help you with the application or interview process?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an admit from USC ! I am so elated ! Anyone here planning to join the MHA program at USC!
Hi.
Congrats..
Ur hard work finally paid off. Did u go thru an interview process B4 hearing from USC or is it a direct admission?

Yeah, I thought I'd have better communication from a couple of my programs, Michigan included (they did email me earlier this week for next week's visit day, which is a bit earlier than your day-before email). Not a good impression, I agree.

Good to know, thank you. Did you get that email about the visit days being totally full? Clearly the interest was not anticipated well.

Yeah I got that email. I would also guess that there were 45-50 people at my visit day, which is way more than the 35 allotted slots. If it makes you feel better, there is literally no interview/evaluative part at all, so there's nothing to be nervous for.

Yeah I got that email. I would also guess that there were 45-50 people at my visit day, which is way more than the 35 allotted slots. If it makes you feel better, there is literally no interview/evaluative part at all, so there's nothing to be nervous for.

No, it probably makes me feel worse since I'm spending so much money and taking time off to go. I know the campus/city, I understand the university mentality (although not specifically familiar with the SPH). I was going to see the SPH and because I thought an interview would be involved. I thought they had that group presentation thing that the old MHA threads talk about.

Last edited:
Hi.
Congrats..
Ur hard work finally paid off. Did u go thru an interview process B4 hearing from USC or is it a direct admission?
No USC doesn't have any interviews. I just received my Deans Merit Scholarship as well

Reactions: 1 user
I got accepted to the MHA program at Columbia University! I am so excited!

Who else is going to Columbia?

So far I was also offered an interview with SLU, Uni Min. Tulane, and OSU but I will probably cancel them.

Reactions: 2 users
So far I was accepted to Columbia's MHA program and UCLA's MPH in Health Policy and Management program. I am absolutely torn between these two schools on opposite coasts and between choosing MHA or an MPH. I am an international student, went to undergrad in DC (not a huge fan of east coast weather) and ultimately want to go into consulting. Anyone else making similar decisions as well? I'd appreciate any advice, insights, or information you may have about these schools/programs!

So far I was accepted to Columbia's MHA program and UCLA's MPH in Health Policy and Management program. I am absolutely torn between these two schools on opposite coasts and between choosing MHA or an MPH. I am an international student, went to undergrad in DC (not a huge fan of east coast weather) and ultimately want to go into consulting. Anyone else making similar decisions as well? I'd appreciate any advice, insights, or information you may have about these schools/programs!
While it's not impossible to go into consulting with an MPH, I think you would be better prepared for interviewing and for the actual work if you were to pursue an MHA. You get more business background with an MHA, but depending on the program you could always see if you can take some business courses as electives if you choose MPH.

So far I was also offered an interview with SLU, Uni Min. Tulane, and OSU but I will probably cancel them.
Congrats! I would suggest interviewing at the other programs still- it's about fit and you may end up liking one of the other programs better.

Congrats! Curious--when did you interview with them? Did you just recently find out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I would suggest interviewing at the other programs still- it's about fit and you may end up liking one of the other programs better.

Thanks! That's a good point since they are all excellent schools. I already interviewed with two other programs besides Columbia but personally I just don't think I would chose any other school over it.

How are you liking the MHA program at OSU?

Thanks! That's a good point since they are all excellent schools. I already interviewed with two other programs besides Columbia but personally I just don't think I would chose any other school over it.

How are you liking the MHA program at OSU?
I love the program! The faculty is amazing and I could not have asked for a better cohort. We also have a strong alumni network which definitely helps when it comes time for residency and fellowship searches. If you have more specific questions don't hesitate to message me!

No, it probably makes me feel worse since I'm spending so much money and taking time off to go. I know the campus/city, I understand the university mentality (although not specifically familiar with the SPH). I was going to see the SPH and because I thought an interview would be involved. I thought they had that group presentation thing that the old MHA threads talk about.

*ETA: Apparently visit day is required per the email. Okay.

That case competition that they've had before is no longer. You still have it, but it's just more of an informational thing. Also, I finally set up my interview (for tomorrow afternoon).

Any other applicants to Columbia's part-time MHA? I know you guys are out there somewhere LOL anyway I'm wondering if we have informal interviews lIke the full-time applicants.

I love the program! The faculty is amazing and I could not have asked for a better cohort. We also have a strong alumni network which definitely helps when it comes time for residency and fellowship searches. If you have more specific questions don't hesitate to message me!

Where else were you accepted to and considering? Why did you choose OSU?

so firstly, this website has been both a God send and a curse all at the same time. I am really appreciating all the great advice, but I find myself checking this forum MANY more times a day than I should. I have applied to Georgetown, George Mason and VCU's MHA programs back in NOVEMBER and have heard NOTHING from anyone. I am freaking out.. someone please tell me that no news is good news! I purposefully applied early so I would hear back around this time, rejected or accepted.. I just have to know, I am driving myself insane! Anyone else in this predicament?

Where else were you accepted to and considering? Why did you choose OSU?
I applied to University of Pittsburgh as well as George Washington. I was accepted to both. For me, the alumni network was a huge selling factor. Pitt and GW are both great programs, but there was no alumni presence. When I interviewed at OSU, they had 3 alumni present so I was able to see where they were in their careers and how the OSU MHA program helped get them there.

That case competition that they've had before is no longer. You still have it, but it's just more of an informational thing. Also, I finally set up my interview (for tomorrow afternoon).

Yay, good luck!

Hey everyone- found this article that gives really great interviewing advice- just thought I would share! http://www.mhamentor.com/

Did you or someone you know write that? I ask because you "found" it the day it was written. It's a good roundup of interview advice but consider changing the recommendations for women's dress. It comes off outdated and ignorant.

Columbia MHA applicants: Did you guys receive an email with a link to a financial survey? I've been reading in other forums about how other Mailman applicants have, but I've backcombed through every email I've gotten from them and I never received a link to a financial survey. AHH I emailed them to clarify, but wanted to check-in here too.

Did you or someone you know write that? I ask because you "found" it the day it was written. It's a good roundup of interview advice but consider changing the recommendations for women's dress. It comes off outdated and ignorant.
No, I did not write it. A friend and I were getting coffee with a prospective student and they pulled up the article asking for our opinion on it. I thought it was a really comprehensive article so I thought I would share it here!

Just got my acceptance to Columbia(!) now if only they would send information on funding...

If you are dead set on consulting (management, healthcare, or otherwise), you might want to consider business school. Major firms still do not really view MHAs and MBAs as equivalents (I cannot speak to MPH degrees, but they are typically more academic/research focused and generally pursued by clinicians). Consulting firms recruit more heavily out of business schools than MHA programs and they put MBAs in at the senior consultant level (more money, one less rung on the career ladder to climb). Many (most? all?) offer healthcare specific MBAs or healthcare concentrations.

Has anyone heard back on acceptance to Michigan's HPM? They said we would hear 5-7 days after the interview (separate from the visit day), but I'm wondering if anyone's heard an official yes or no.

Is anyone aware of any online Statistics courses,as I belong to the medical field I have not taken up any Statistics classes but now that I got admitted to USC I need to take up a Statistics class in order to meet the requirements. Thank you in advance :)

Has anyone heard back on acceptance to Michigan's HPM? They said we would hear 5-7 days after the interview (separate from the visit day), but I'm wondering if anyone's heard an official yes or no.

I am going to the Visit day tomorrow. I have tried to get an interview set up then since I am coming in from out of town. Does that take place on campus after the visit day?

I am going to the Visit day tomorrow. I have tried to get an interview set up then since I am coming in from out of town. Does that take place on campus after the visit day?
They're over Skype the week after your visit day.

so firstly, this website has been both a God send and a curse all at the same time. I am really appreciating all the great advice, but I find myself checking this forum MANY more times a day than I should. I have applied to Georgetown, George Mason and VCU's MHA programs back in NOVEMBER and have heard NOTHING from anyone. I am freaking out.. someone please tell me that no news is good news! I purposefully applied early so I would hear back around this time, rejected or accepted.. I just have to know, I am driving myself insane! Anyone else in this predicament?

I am right with you on refreshing this forum and my email way more than what is healthy!

I applied to Rush in early December, can anyone tell me about their experience with Rush? Turn around time for getting interview, hearing decision after interview, ect? Or has anyone applied there? Someone a few pages back mentioned an acceptance, but that was the last Rush has been discussed it looks like. Anxiously waiting to hear something from them!

I applied to Rush in early December, can anyone tell me about their experience with Rush? Turn around time for getting interview, hearing decision after interview, ect? Or has anyone applied there? Someone a few pages back mentioned an acceptance, but that was the last Rush has been discussed it looks like. Anxiously waiting to hear something from them!

I only applied to two schools and Rush is my first choice. I applied in November without a GRE score. My score was submitted early this month and I was invited to interview within a few days. My interview isn't for another couple weeks. It seems like most of the posts that mention a Rush interview were accepted pretty quickly after that. Fingers crossed for both of us.

I only applied to two schools and Rush is my first choice. I applied in November without a GRE score. My score was submitted early this month and I was invited to interview within a few days. My interview isn't for another couple weeks. It seems like most of the posts that mention a Rush interview were accepted pretty quickly after that. Fingers crossed for both of us.

Thanks for the info! Best of luck for your interview.

No USC doesn't have any interviews. I just received my Deans Merit Scholarship as well
Sounds Great!
Just out of curiosity-- Could you tell me about the strong points in ur application other than ur scores. Lyk experiences, volunteer work etc. I am an international student & I am really unaware of those crucial points. The admission system in my country is different. I worked on my GRE score- aggregate 321/340. 2 yrs exp in pharma industry as analyst. what else should I do to become a competitive applicant?
Thanks in advance

Sounds Great!
Just out of curiosity-- Could you tell me about the strong points in ur application other than ur scores. Lyk experiences, volunteer work etc. I am an international student & I am really unaware of those crucial points. The admission system in my country is different. I worked on my GRE score- aggregate 321/340. 2 yrs exp in pharma industry as analyst. what else should I do to become a competitive applicant?
Thanks in advance
Hi ! So your GRE score looks great ! I had volunteered in many medical check up camps organized by Lions Club( a famous club for community services in India) and Being a dentist I did volunteer in Free Dental Services camps organized by my college. I worked for a year part time in a private dental practice. I worked on a research project based on Edutainment in my final year, I uploaded the documents of this project. Along with this I guess a good SOP would do the deal. Let me know if you get admitted to USC :)

I am right with you on refreshing this forum and my email way more than what is healthy!

I was offered an interview about a week after I applied and then was accepted about 5-6 weeks after my interview

Hi ! So your GRE score looks great ! I had volunteered in many medical check up camps organized by Lions Club( a famous club for community services in India) and Being a dentist I did volunteer in Free Dental Services camps organized by my college. I worked for a year part time in a private dental practice. I worked on a research project based on Edutainment in my final year, I uploaded the documents of this project. Along with this I guess a good SOP would do the deal. Let me know if you get admitted to USC :)
Hi. U do hav some good public health experience. I am from India too. I haven't heard from d admissions committee yet. I know Lions Club, though I am not a member of it. We organized a few fitness program in conjunction with Lions. When did u apply for USC. I submitted mine in d mid of Dec.

I was offered an interview about a week after I applied and then was accepted about 5-6 weeks after my interview

Did Rush offer you any funding? I'd imagine you are one of the more qualified applicants.

Accepted to Michigan!!!
Congrats! Can I ask how you found out and if they gave any information on scholarships? It's the last school I'm waiting to hear from so I'm pretty eager to get the official accepted or rejected notification...

Congrats! Can I ask how you found out and if they gave any information on scholarships? It's the last school I'm waiting to hear from so I'm pretty eager to get the official accepted or rejected notification...

I received an email with my acceptance. The decision was also posted on my Wolverine account. My acceptance email didn't include any scholarship information so I'm not sure when/how they notify of that.

Did Rush offer you any funding? I'd imagine you are one of the more qualified applicants.

Rush would not give me scholarship info until after I accepted the offer, which I didn't

I received an email with my acceptance. The decision was also posted on my Wolverine account. My acceptance email didn't include any scholarship information so I'm not sure when/how they notify of that.
Ok thanks - congrats again!

Pleasantly surprised to open my email today and found out I received a scholarship to Minnesota. Makes this decision a lot more difficult than I thought it was going to be.

Congrats! Did they e-mail you back with the scholarship information?

Thanks! I'm actually still waiting on it. I also have yet to be emailed the financial aid survey that most people already received. When I emailed them asking about it, they said they would be sending it to me in a couple days. I except I'll hear about scholarship information after that's filled out and processed.