MHC Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RD1285

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am very happy to find a site like this in which everyone can voice their concerns, opinions, and ask questions. I wanted to ask because I need advice regarding my current internship site that I am currently doing my mental health practicum. The place is very disorganize, unstructure, and a health/safety hazard. Is a non-profit organization that is struggling to keep itself afloat. The place is full of roaches and you constantly find dead and alive roaches inside the office area. Also the place has rats and they have been inside the building by the office where everyone sits, write notes and do administrative stuff. In addition, the ceiling leaks when it rains and it tends to leak where the wall power outlet is. The site not only has all of that but they are asking their interns to go to a school to do after school homework with the kids. The after school program is not establish it takes place in the school cafeteria with more than 30 kids ranging from kindergarten to fifth grade. Also two weeks after starting my practicum, my clinical director quit. They brought a person that is going to supervise me, that yes she is License by my state but she does not have the supervisory training and has never supervise interns. My school place me in this site after picking a site for me out the five that I sent them. I need advice in what should I do regarding the site, and convincing my school to switch me over. Also I don't know if during mental health practicum I'm suppose to to homework with kids, if that is consider clinical or mental health.

Members don't see this ad.

Homework tutoring is NOT mental health counseling! Does your advisor know about the safety issues and the change in supervisor? Your program needs to know these things.