Miami Miller vs. State School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyc89824

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine

Pros
  • Accepted to the MD-MPH program. Strong interest/background in public health—I don’t see the MPH as an “essential” to my medical career, but I am drawn to this dual degree program specifically because the MD/MPH components are so well integrated. This is my favorite program.
  • Good clinical and research opportunities available here. I have a background in clinical research and would like to stay involved in research in medical school.
Cons
  • FAR from home. I am concerned about being this far away from my family, friends, and support group (although I think I would do *okay* far from home, but it is an additional challenge). I am very close with my family.
  • Grading system: Not a true P/F curriculum. This concerns me.
  • Haven’t heard back about financial aid. My best guess is that it will be about equivalent to my state school.
  • MD-MPH program starts in June! (This isn’t really a huge con for me, but it is on the earlier side).

Downstate

Pros
  • Close to home: my friends, family and support system.
  • Preclinical curriculum: P/F grading
  • Great clinical experience!
Cons
  • They offer an MD/MPH dual degree program in 5 years, so there is an additional time/cost factor here. Since I am a non-traditional applicant with a background in public health, I am not sure that I am quite as interested in this dual degree program.
  • Not known as a strong research school (and unranked, although this isn’t a major concern of mine)
  • An estimated ~$70,000 per year in loans (for my state school!! o_O)

As you can see, I’m pretty much choosing between the program I like better (Miami) vs. the school that is closer to home (another option I would be happy with--just not in love with it quite as much). Additionally, these two options differ in their pre-clinical grading systems. I know that, ultimately, I have to evaluate my priorities and this is a decision I have to make on my own—but any personal insight into these two programs is greatly appreciated! Also—any personal insight on going to med school far from home is helpful as well!

In terms of specialty, my interests are still all over the board. I’m hoping to narrow that down in school :). In terms of residency, I am thinking I will want to end up back close to home (NYC), which gives Downstate an additional pro, however, I think that will be possible from Miami as well. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey dude I was accepted to both, imo I would have chosen Miami, I was not impressed by downstate. I think there are more opportunities at Miller. You should also think deep as to why you want the MPH. Btw downstate does have good research. Also, family friends is great and all but you have to ask yourself if you would see them that often anyway

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey! so I'll start by saying I was accepted into MD-MPH at UM so there may be a slight bias however I have a ton of family who went to downstate. One thing to consider about the pass/fail grading system is your own personal motivation in the matter. If you're a student that is generally going to do well regardless (aka end up in the top quartile) then UM being pass/fail plus doesn't really hurt you or add that additional stress. As far as clinical/research opportunities both schools have been around for a while and both have a diverse patient population. However research in FL largely goes to UM and UF in terms of funding whether that be clinical or basic science. In addition you'd be getting an extra degree at a discount in 4 years. Since you want to likely end up in the northeast for residency maybe see if UM matches well up there. All that being said only you can know how important being close to family is to you. If it's invaluable and will significantly affect your happiness then you have your answer. The out of state medical school students I've interacted with at various institutions have found support systems relatively quickly since all your classmates will be enduring the rigor with you. And with you being MD-MPH there's 49 others who you'll form close ties with early before the really tough classes start in the fall. You'll be an amazing doctor regardless of where you go :), but maybe look at where you'll grow the most outside of school as well (and where you'll be happy). Best of luck!