-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Michigan State c/o 2017 applicants!
Started by hai1983
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
No your not alone. I'll be giving it another try and hopefully will have better results than last time!!





Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck guys! Let me know if you have any questions.
Good luck guys! Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you!
First question: do you (or anybody else) have a sense for what SIS scores are going to be competitive? I know on the website it says 750 and above, but I'm wondering if one needs to be much higher.
Hi guys! I am a recent graduate (GO GREEN! GO WHITE!) and I can answer questions about the curriculum and clinical rotations. The admissions process changed after my class was admitted - we were the last class to do interviews. For my class, I think our average SIS scores were in the 900s - but that was under the old admission process. They modify the calculation of the SIS scores every year and I'm not sure what the calculation is this year. Generally, the higher your grades and GRE scores, the higher your SIS score. Good luck! 

Hi guys! I am a recent graduate (GO GREEN! GO WHITE!) and I can answer questions about the curriculum and clinical rotations. The admissions process changed after my class was admitted - we were the last class to do interviews. For my class, I think our average SIS scores were in the 900s - but that was under the old admission process. They modify the calculation of the SIS scores every year and I'm not sure what the calculation is this year. Generally, the higher your grades and GRE scores, the higher your SIS score. Good luck!![]()
Thanks for saying hi! Congratulations on graduating!
My SIS is in the low 900s and I have a good amount of experience, so I feel good about applying, but I'm sure you remember the waiting to know how it turns out makes one paranoid about numbers.
Hai- that's a good question. Competitive SIS scores change every year, I'm sure. Remember that the subjective part of your application can add to you SIS score. You can always go to the website and look at the previous application cycle's profile to get an idea of what a competitive SIS score is (you will have to do the calculation given the numbers). I think you have a competitive SIS score. Are you IS or OOS?
http://cvm.msu.edu/student-information/dvm-program-admissions/class-of-2016-profile/view
http://cvm.msu.edu/student-information/dvm-program-admissions/class-of-2016-profile/view
Hai- that's a good question. Competitive SIS scores change every year, I'm sure. Remember that the subjective part of your application can add to you SIS score. You can always go to the website and look at the previous application cycle's profile to get an idea of what a competitive SIS score is (you will have to do the calculation given the numbers). I think you have a competitive SIS score. Are you IS or OOS?
http://cvm.msu.edu/student-information/dvm-program-admissions/class-of-2016-profile/view
That's a fantastic idea, to calculate the SIS score for the average 2016. Thanks for suggesting it! I had to make a couple of guesses for GRE scores, using the data they post about the middle 50%, but it looks like the average SIS for a 2016, according to this year's calculator, is 880.
I'm out of state, which is, of course, suboptimal. I'm just hoping a good SIS, plus good experience (tons of SA tech work, zoo, food animals in a lab setting, shelter volunteer), will help make it work out.
I'm applying to Michigan State this year, too! I am also out of state. I calculated my SIS score just now, and looks like mine is above 900 as well. My experience hours are about average, but they are varied, and I will have more hours before the application is due (especially research experience). My non-animal-related activities are excellent, so hopefully that helps. 😀
Does anyone know if an 826 is competitive? Just based on grades and GPA, without extracurriculars or experience. I am trying to narrow down my list of ELEVEN schools haha I will take any advice I can get!
If you look above we talked about SIS. The MSU website says 750 and above is competitive. I calculated the average SIS for the incoming class based on the statistics published by MSU, and it was 880 (which includes IS and OOS, I'm pretty sure).
826 isn't bad, though of course it'd be easier for you if you were IS (the incoming class is 76 IS: 35 OOS). If your file review will be solid (good LORs, experience, etc.) I'd say go for it.
cs5910, I agree with hai. If you have an excellent subjective file (ie, vet/animal experience, LORs, research, community activities, clubs, diversity stuff, etc), it can contribute a lot to your SIS.
What kind of things are on the supplemental application? Of the five academic criteria mentioned on the website, there is one I did not mention in the VMCAS, so I was wondering if there was a way I could mention it in the supplemental (socio-economic challenges). I had plans to include it in my VMCAS previously, but I forgot to go back and add it.Good luck guys! Let me know if you have any questions.
What kind of things are on the supplemental application? Of the five academic criteria mentioned on the website, there is one I did not mention in the VMCAS, so I was wondering if there was a way I could mention it in the supplemental (socio-economic challenges). I had plans to include it in my VMCAS previously, but I forgot to go back and add it.
My supplemental 2 years ago asked for socio-economic challenges.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the quick reply! Hopefully it hasn't changed much. I have an interesting family background. 🙂My supplemental 2 years ago asked for socio-economic challenges.
http://cvm.msu.edu/student-information/dvm-program-admissions***If you submitted a completed VMCAS Application to MSU CVM, then a Supplemental Application will be sent to your e-mail address on Wednesday, October 10, 2012. Please check your e-mail and spam and if you do not receive the Supplemental Application contact us at [email protected] after 5pm on October 10***
Anyone know what sorts of essays to expect (if any?) in their supplement? I'm worried since the one week we have to turn it in will be a busy one for me!
For questions for most supps, peep the link. Note, they might be a bit old but you get the gist: http://harvest.cals.ncsu.edu/vetpac/index.cfm?pageID=2247
I read somewhere that there are no essays on the supplemental for MSU. But I might be wrong.... Hoping there aren't any as we have all written so many this summer for our apps haha
Received it this morning..there are 5 questions (900 character limit on all)
Last edited:
At this point of the app process I just cut and pasted my responses from other supps. 😎
I would put a lot of thought into your supplementals. If they asked the same questions as in previous years (vet, animal, research exp, etc), answer with a lot of detail. Two people look at these answers and add points to your SIS based on your experiences.
This is probably my supplemental with the most questions so far so I don't have any essays that were similar.. 😎 but i guess its about time for me to write some haha
Have you traveled abroad by yourself or with friends? Those experiences tend to yield some type of snafu. Shows great resolve and life diversity at the same time 😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does MSU usually tell you right away if you aren't good enough? Or do you have to wait until January for that too?
Other than their SIS calc, I've no idea.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=866346Does MSU usually tell you right away if you aren't good enough? Or do you have to wait until January for that too?
Looks like December?
I'm very excited for my application to MSU. I was satisfied with all but one of my essays. Dealing with a break-up and writing essays at the same time is rough, but I have an academic adviser who supported me. I was able to talk my way through them with him before writing.
Anyone have any updates? This year is not rolling I assume since everyone received their supp at the same time?
Nothing to report over here. I imagine even with the simultaneous supplementals they'll proceed a lot like last year, with the highest SIS people hearing early and the rest getting news as January and February go on. I hope I'm wrong and everyone gets news soon.
Is there a way to check our application statuses from the applicant portal? Whenever I look, it just says that my supplemental is complete. I haven't been able to find a status page. 😕😱
GhostBusterBill asks, "who YOU gonna call?"
What is the website to check if the app is complete/ application status?
https://wapp.cvm.msu.edu/admiss/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/admiss/Applicant/Application/Introletter.aspx
this is the same log-in website that I used to fill out my supplemental app... I'm not sure if this is where we check our status (or if we can even check statuses at all) 😕
I just wanted to wish you luck in applications. I was a re-applicant last year and am now an out-of-state first year at MSU. If any of you have any questions about anything please let me know. I will try to check on the thread periodically. 🙂
Just wanted to add that I got my acceptance letter in Mid-February last year
I just wanted to wish you luck in applications. I was a re-applicant last year and am now an out-of-state first year at MSU. If any of you have any questions about anything please let me know. I will try to check on the thread periodically. 🙂
thanks!! do you know if there is a way for us to check our status online?
thanks!! do you know if there is a way for us to check our status online?
I don't think there is.
Yeah I don't remember being able to check on the status of the application. I just remember coming on here everyday and checking who had heard something. We had someone in our class that heard as late as 3 weeks before classes started that was on the wait list.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Read on facebook that someone received an acceptance last Friday. Good luck!
Read on facebook that someone received an acceptance last Friday. Good luck!
Was this a dual degree or normal track acceptance?
Was this a dual degree or normal track acceptance?
Don't know. I thought DVM/MPH/PhD/MS students apply for the second degree during their first year?
Don't know. I thought DVM/MPH/PhD/MS students apply for the second degree during their first year?
I read you have the liberty to choose when you start your dual degree. Before, or after, the DVM is fine, with the majority falling into the latter group.
I read you have the liberty to choose when you start your dual degree. Before, or after, the DVM is fine, with the majority falling into the latter group.
True, but not what I meant. I don't think many people apply at regular admissions for DVM/combined programs, I think people apply for the combined program once they are accepted to the DVM program.