Michigan State c/o 2019 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Anybody know what happens if there is a major snowstorm the day of your interview?
 
Anybody know what happens if there is a major snowstorm the day of your interview?
Since it's Michigan, it'd have to be a SEVERE storm to warrant any rescheduling. If flights got cancelled/severely delayed (for which they do in lighter snow), I can't give you an answer on that. I'd say call them now and ask that question so you can develop a backup plan if you are flying.

I went there for undergrad, and we had 3 snow days in the 4 years I was there. That was 3/5 for the entire history of the university, 2 of those being for student/employee safety since it was -20 in the warmest part of the day AND we got 2 feet of snow in like 12 hours. That's why I don't think they'd ever do any sort of rescheduling.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My best advice is to get a big jeep vehicle and leave early haha. Also, there's no snow on the ground here and it doesn't look like we're expecting all that much soon. So I wouldn't worry too much.
 
My best advice is to get a big jeep vehicle and leave early haha. Also, there's no snow on the ground here and it doesn't look like we're expecting all that much soon. So I wouldn't worry too much.
Yeah, my interview isn't until February though. Can't really expect no snow at that point...
 
So I interview Saturday and was just going over stuff. Does Michigan require 2 ochem labs? The pre-req charts confuse me when they don't explicitly state it, but rather just say so many hours. Thanks!
 
Ok so this is a weird thing to be freaking out about but I'm worried my shoes aren't nice enough. Since it's going to be thirty degrees and we are going to be walking around I brought some boots. They aren't super fancy just plain black suede boots but they are a little bulky. I brought another pair that looks better but are not warm at all. Ladies any advice???
 
I honestly haven't picked out my shoes just yet, but there isn't any snow and it isn't exactly that cold. I'm probably just going to wear black heels I think, we'll be inside most of the day anyhow so it shouldn't be that bad.
 
I wore black heels to my Auburn interview last year and it had rained recently. I was slipping and sliding all over the place in the mud outside but I made it and they went really well with my outfit haha. I say beauty before pain when it comes to being female unfortunately.
 
I thought I wasn't nervous for this interview but it turns out that my fear of finals was just masking it. I'm freaking out! If anyone reading this is interviewing with the red group (Saturday afternoon) and wants to be interview/panicking buddies, PM me your phone number so we can text. I'm going alone and having someone to freak out with will definitely help.
 
Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend! Please don't be offended if any of the students give you a less than cheerful greeting on Friday as it is our last day of finals and we are all a little drained. I will be doing interviews on Saturday afternoon. See ya then!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got one too!....so excited (and nervous)! I'm waiting for them to send the actual invite with the dates available, what I got only said I should be receiving an invite soon. If you had an interview already, please post about it!....Good luck to you all.
 
Hey everyone!! So I had my interview today, and I survived!! haha, its actually not that bad, so don't worry 🙂

As far as shoes go, there were a million different types there, and I was actually surprised at how informally somewhere dressed. Regardless, there is a fair bit of walking on the tour, but you're *barely* outside ever.

Anywho, don't freak out!! Everyone there is super friendly and helpful!!!
 
Hey everyone!! So I had my interview today, and I survived!! haha, its actually not that bad, so don't worry 🙂

As far as shoes go, there were a million different types there, and I was actually surprised at how informally somewhere dressed. Regardless, there is a fair bit of walking on the tour, but you're *barely* outside ever.

Anywho, don't freak out!! Everyone there is super friendly and helpful!!!


Did they have underground Harry potter tunnels to keep you safe from the cold?? That's my #1 thing
 
Same as above! I actually had fun during some parts. Note to the Ladies, there is a tour of the hospital that takes about an hour, so I'd suggest bringing flats. My feet were killing me by the end!:inpain:
 
My interview is tomorrow and I'm wondering if lunch is provided or if you brought your own? Also is there anywhere to keep belongings-purse, keys, coats, etc.? I'm glad to hear all went well!
 
My interview is tomorrow and I'm wondering if lunch is provided or if you brought your own? Also is there anywhere to keep belongings-purse, keys, coats, etc.? I'm glad to hear all went well!
Yep, and they lock the rooms that contain your belongings so it's pretty safe and such!
 
Had my interview today! Wen't pretty well I think. I'm going to be around all day tomorrow if anyone wants to meet up message me. Good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews. 🙂
 
Good luck to everyone interviewing today. If you see me, say hi. I'll be wearing a black suit with a grey shirt and a square-patterned tie. 🙂

I'm in the red group that starts at noon, btw.
 
Congrats on your interviews! .... would you guys be kind enough to enlighten us with the types of questions we should expect during this interview?... Thanks!!
 
We can't actually discuss those types of things with anyone actually, they made that pretty clear. But don't worry! We all went in clueless and seem to agree it wasn't so bad.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pp9
It wasn't just that bad. It was super fun! Yes you're going to be stressed going into the first room but it gets much better. 🙂
 
Yeah, it was very fun and surprisingly different than what I imagined. You guys shouldn't stress too much 🙂 Good luck!
 
Hi All! Super excited.. received my interview invite yesterday. Date still to be determined. It will be weird being back on campus after nearly 30 years. Yes I am a non-traditional student. Did my undergrad at MSU. Beyond excited. Thank you everyone for the intel on shoes and the interviews.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We had to sign a confidentiality agreement saying we would not tell anyone anything about the interviews themselves! Sorry!
 
That makes sense, excuse me for asking. Im glad interviews werent bad for you guys. I guess I will find out when I get there. Any tips for preparing? Did they disclose when we would hear back on admissions decisions?
 
That makes sense, excuse me for asking. Im glad interviews werent bad for you guys. I guess I will find out when I get there. Any tips for preparing? Did they disclose when we would hear back on admissions decisions?

Mid February.
 
Thanks Felix!.... Also, what airport would you recommend flying into if I'm coming from Florida?
 
I flew direct from Reagan in DC (DCA), and planes come in and out from FL all the time at DCA!
 
Mid February.

So what if you're interview isn't until mid February? Hahaha I'm trying to get an idea from their website and I have no clue when I might hear back. But I'm glad everyone's interviews went well so far.

I don't know if you guys are allowed to answer this but a friend of mine has done a MMI for med school and he said that the prompts weren't too bad but that the interviewers at each station would change the prompt or add to it after his initial response. He said some of them were really tough and barely gave him time to think before asking the next question. Were any of the stations like that? Should we prepare for some curve balls? Thanks!
 
the gist that I got was that they need to wait until they get the scores from all the interviews, then normalize them to each other (so...our interviews are graded on a curve haha)...... I would imagine they would send the majority of them out in one batch...
 
the gist that I got was that they need to wait until they get the scores from all the interviews, then normalize them to each other (so...our interviews are graded on a curve haha)...... I would imagine they would send the majority of them out in one batch...

Whatchu talkin bout Willis? Curving the interviews...that's the first time I've heard that one lol. Now we're all secretly going to hope that everyone else sucked so the curve is better haha
 
hahahahahahahaha, that's completely my own take on it, but that's what I gleaned from the de-brief as to why they're waiting.... that's also what I was told by a friend of mine who performs MMIs for medical schools. They normalize each interviewer's scores over all the students they see. I'm not sure if MSU does it that way, but from what I understand its kinda normal for MMIs
 
But again...what if your interview is in mid-February? LOL I was given one date to chose and that was Feb. 13th so it's kind of at the end of that timeline.
 
Thanks Felix!.... Also, what airport would you recommend flying into if I'm coming from Florida?

That depends. There are two options that you need to compare based on your dates. I flew in from Miami to Detroit, and from there to Lansing and took a cab to the hotel/school. You could also fly to Detroit, rent a car, and drive to Lansing (1.5-2 hrs depending on traffic). Which option is cheaper depends on variables like your age (if you're 25+, you can rent the car much cheaper than I could), dates, and airport in FL you leave from. Just use google or studentuniverse.com to compare those two options.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you guys!....That's all very helpful information. I thought of renting a car but I've never driven in snow before lol, that should be interesting.
 
Hey everyone, sorry for being away for a bit. Felix has the right of it about the MMI's. Don't stress! Just be yourself and have fun with it and everything will be great. The FAQ and various videos online are more than enough to prepare for them.
As far as clothing, it is an interview so it's better to overdress then under, but the best advice is to dress comfortably and wear shoes you can handle walking in. The only time you will be outside will be coming from the Wharton parking ramp (if you drive) to registration and to get on / off the buses. Lansing normally doesn't get tons of snow (compared to Traverse City or the UP) so just make sure to dress warm.
If your're renting a car, try and find something front wheel drive since they tend to handle better in snow and ice. Trucks / SUV's with 4 wheel tend to be rented out quickly and honestly won't help more than a front wheel if you're not used to snow. Drive slow, brake early, and don't be distracted / stressed and you'll be ok.
DTW and Lansing Regional are your best bet for airports, but Lansing does use smaller planes which may make nervous flyers a little leery.
Side note: Yes, there are old steam tunnels under campus, but no, we cant use them (wish we could!)
 
Thank you guys!....That's all very helpful information. I thought of renting a car but I've never driven in snow before lol, that should be interesting.
http://www.michiganflyer.com/ If you don't want to rent a car. It looks like you can get round trip with the bus for ~$120. I would imagine a cab would run pretty high. The airport is roughly 90 miles from the school. The bus drops you off right across from campus. I only recommend it because so many OOS friends in undergrad used it to get to the airport for holidays.
the gist that I got was that they need to wait until they get the scores from all the interviews, then normalize them to each other (so...our interviews are graded on a curve haha)...... I would imagine they would send the majority of them out in one batch...
Makes sense to wait until they have everyone's results. This is the first year they're doing it, so I doubt they're making any decisions until everyone has interviewed.
 
Thanks Felix!.... Also, what airport would you recommend flying into if I'm coming from Florida?
Just a note...I flew into Lansing and the hotel I stayed at (University Quality Inn) had a shuttle to and from the airport and to the interview building which saved on transport and stress. I agree with the other posts though, the airplanes that go to Lansing are tiny and don't make for the nicest trip.
 
Just a note...I flew into Lansing and the hotel I stayed at (University Quality Inn) had a shuttle to and from the airport and to the interview building which saved on transport and stress. I agree with the other posts though, the airplanes that go to Lansing are tiny and don't make for the nicest trip.

Thank you guys!...this is really helpful info as I'm trying to figure out all of the logistics of this trip. Roostergirl, that sounds great, is this hotel in Lansing? If so, then this shuttle went from Lansing airport to the hotel and also to the university correct? My interview is early in the morning so I want to make sure this shuttle will be running well in advance. I'm also curious.....which airline did you use to get there?

Thanks!