USMLE Microbial resistance to innate vs. adaptive immunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nice Marmot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In First Aid (2016 pg. 192; 2015 pg. 200) it says that microbial resistance to our adaptive immune system is "not heritable," whereas microbial resistance to our innate immune system "persists through generations and does not change within an organisms lifetime." Any idea what the heck this means?

Members don't see this ad.

You inherit certain toll like receptors (TLR's) and such that can help mediate innate immune response. So these TLR's are inherited and could mutate and such but they are static over the course of a person's life. Adaptive immunity of course is all the stuff with antibodies and all that jazz which is adaptable and is not inherited for the most part, it adapts and is selected for from encounters with antigens. So now if an organism is resistant to our innate system that isn't changing then the organism doesn't need to change, it can inherit those traits and such (if I remember right certain capsules are an example of this idk it's been awhile lol). Now to evade our ever changing adaptive immunity requires mutations and changes to antigens and what not. That's how I would think of it, it's kind of a weird statement to me. Someone feel free to correct me I'm no micro expert haha.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
its not about the microbes resistance to your immunity. I think you misread. its talking about our resistance to microbes (microbial resistance). Since innate is germline encoded, it is passed on as it is. But since adaptive undergoes VDJ recombination and develops after encountering a pathogen (acquired), u cant pass it down to ur offspring; your offspring has to see the pathogen to develop immunity to it. For instance if i have immunity to EBV, my child wnt be immune to ebv from birth, he has to get infected with ebv to develop this immunity on his own.
Makes sense?

Reactions: 1 user