Mid-Level School after Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesGleaven

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN Member,

I'd like to ask; Are there any members of this community that have gone to nursing or PA school after medical school? Please Comment below and Share your experiences with us?

Also I'd like to ask. If you do go to mid-level school after going to medical school, what are you professionally? Are you still a Doctor? Do you have the same ethical responsibilities as a doctor? Should you even keep up the happenings of the physician world if you make such a switch?
TIA

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt anyone has done this because it makes no financial sense. Just change how you practice as a physician to be more in line with your goals instead of going back to school for less pay.

Reactions: 8 users
This is a troll post right? Yes I would like to do 4 years undergrad, then 4 in med school, $300k debt and then go to PA school

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't see any US grads doing this but there have been a decent amount of IMGs do a bridge route to NP after being unable to match for x amount of years. Think it cuts a year off the RN/NP program.

Reactions: 5 users
This is a troll post right? Yes I would like to do 4 years undergrad, then 4 in med school, $300k debt and then go to PA school
I mean I am dead serious. This is an anonymous forum so I want people to share. Are there any IMG's or AMG's that do that after medical school?

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't make sense for AMGs to do this unless they dropped out, are expelled, have a record so bad that no residency program anywhere will take them in etc.

This can be a route for IMGs who failed to match repeatedly but i haven't actually seen one

We did have a graduate of Ross attending PA school. She had tried to match 3 times with no success.
She was not allowed to use the MD degree on her jacket or badge (or be referred to as "doctor").
She was an excellent PA student.

Reactions: 8 users
We did have a graduate of Ross attending PA school. She had tried to match 3 times with no success.
She was not allowed to use the MD degree on her jacket or badge (or be referred to as "doctor").

Was she a Nice Girl..So the MD just goes away like that. Did she seem happy? How did she fund this education? In what capacity is she using the MD now?

Wow, i just read that and... that's pretty bad.
What does that have to do with the post though? Do you have anything to contribute to the post? Or are you hear " be honest" or whatever.

• Okay...
  • Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
We had a student expelled from my class who is now in PA school. But he got kicked out in third year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was she a Nice Girl..So the MD just goes away like that. Did she seem happy? How did she fund this education? In what capacity is she using the MD now?
If she is licensed and working as a PA, then there would be no capacity in which she'd be officially using her MD.

If you are considering this for yourself, you'd need a pretty good explanation as to why PA (they don't generally like being used as a back up, though it clearly happens) and why the issues that kept you from residency are resolved.

Reactions: 1 users
As mentioned, I've seen people bring it up due to circumstances that prevent them from completing residency. I don't see why not.

If I could put forth a hypothetical: Person is kicked from residency. Would the PA school delve into that and really investigate it as part of their acceptance process or not? I would guess they would. Not getting a residency to begin with may send up fewer red flags to them I would guess.

Reactions: 1 users
She was lovely, with excellent interpersonal skills. She wasn't bitter or angry.
She has still earned the MD degree. It's on her CV. If she ever wanted to use it in a non-clinical setting, she could certainly do so.
PA school is the path to clinical work that will permit her to pay back a boatload of loans.

I would imagine someone who earned an MD, failed to match, and then entered PA/NP school and completed that would be treated about the same as someone who completed PA/NP school without the MD.

I don't know anyone who followed this path, but almost without exception everyone I know who dropped out of med school or failed to match is now out of the medical field entirely. The sole exception is a person currently working as a med school instructor after failing to match three times.

You are probably going to need to explain the circumstances that prevented you from obtaining residency in detail to any potential medical professional program (PA, NP, etc).

I mean I am dead serious. This is an anonymous forum so I want people to share. Are there any IMG's or AMG's that do that after medical school?
I know one IMG who did that after failing to match for ~8 years then matched into FM after being a midlevel (NP) for ~5 years

She was lovely, with excellent interpersonal skills. She wasn't bitter or angry.
She has still earned the MD degree. It's on her CV. If she ever wanted to use it in a non-clinical setting, she could certainly do so.
PA school is the path to clinical work that will permit her to pay back a boatload of loans.
May I also ask what race was this girl? Also how old was she?

• Okay...
  • Hmm
  • Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
Hello SDN Member,

I'd like to ask; Are there any members of this community that have gone to nursing or PA school after medical school? Please Comment below and Share your experiences with us?

Also I'd like to ask. If you do go to mid-level school after going to medical school, what are you professionally? Are you still a Doctor? Do you have the same ethical responsibilities as a doctor? Should you even keep up the happenings of the physician world if you make such a switch?
TIA
any chance they enroll in high school after PA school?

• Haha
There are a few PA programs that explicitly exclude former MDs and medical students. NP programs don't really care. There is some question as to liability, as it could be argued you were practicing outside of your scope if you were even slightly outside your lane, but I think this is an overblown fear. I've known a few IMGs that couldn't match which went to NP school over the years, and one MD student that dropped out to go to PA school

As mentioned, some med school graduates go down this route if they can't match multiple times. Very rare for USMDs but it does happen for IMGs, especially Caribbean IMGs.

I would argue that most med school grads, especially US grads, should be able to practice as a PA without having to go back to 2 years of PA schools (and take on the debt associated with doing BOTH med school and PA school). After all completing med school gives 4 years of education which is twice as much as PA students get already. And I would also argue that most students that graduate from a Caribbean med school get as much education as PA schools in the U.S. as long as they did rotations in the U.S. would be qualified.

Obviously the problem is most states won't license med school grads as a PA without having an actual PA degree. Though there are a few exceptions like in Missouri (MO allows doctors to practice without residency) . Maybe this should be much more common in other states:

It is a question and this is a forum for such. Now is it "Important...?"
that subjective now isn't it?

Your comments in this thread are certainly helping to frame the context of the infarctions that originally got you dismissed from medical school.

OP, I will add there are other careers outside of clinical care that you may find of interest that you can do with your MD.

I do not know you personally and can only go based on your interactions on SDN and the facts presented that resulted in your original dismissal from med school, but I think a patient-facing career may not be in your best interest. You will undoubtedly run into the issues you faced in med school again.

Your comments in this thread are certainly helping to frame the context of the infarctions that originally got you dismissed from medical school.

OP, I will add there are other careers outside of clinical care that you may find of interest that you can do with your MD.

I do not know you personally and can only go based on your interactions on SDN and the facts presented that resulted in your original dismissal from med school, but I think a patient-facing career may not be in your best interest. You will undoubtedly run into the issues you faced in med school again.
Thank You for the advise. I will take your comments about non-clinical career into consideration.

As mentioned, some med school graduates go down this route if they can't match multiple times. Very rare for USMDs but it does happen for IMGs, especially Caribbean IMGs.

I would argue that most med school grads, especially US grads, should be able to practice as a PA without having to go back to 2 years of PA schools (and take on the debt associated with doing BOTH med school and PA school). After all completing med school gives 4 years of education which is twice as much as PA students get already. And I would also argue that most students that graduate from a Caribbean med school get as much education as PA schools in the U.S. as long as they did rotations in the U.S. would be qualified.

Obviously the problem is most states won't license med school grads as a PA without having an actual PA degree. Though there are a few exceptions like in Missouri (MO allows doctors to practice without residency) . Maybe this should be much more common in other states:
Yeah.. And If they could just remove the loans. Maybe a program for speedy loan forgiveness is in order. Like 5 years of qualifying payments and your loans wipe clean. Like @gyngyn said, It just doesn't sit well with me to go to PA school and acquire more debt so she can pay off that debt AND the debt she acquired while going to medical school. That kind of hamster wheel energy expenditure is totally Un-American if you ask me.

Thank You for the advise. I will take your comments about non-clinical career into consideration.

Yeah.. And If they could just remove the loans. Maybe a program for speedy loan forgiveness is in order. Like 5 years of qualifying payments and your loans wipe clean. Like @gyngyn said, It just doesn't sit well with me to go to PA school and acquire more debt so she can pay off that debt AND the debt she acquired while going to medical school. That kind of hamster wheel energy expenditure is totally Un-American if you ask me.
The bold seems to be exclusively american Idk what you are talking about.

the system extracts as much money from you as they can for any many hours for as intense a workload as possible, stopping just short of a revolt of the masses

I’ve only seen this a few times and they were all immigrants whose medical education wasn’t accepted by the US. MD/DO was basically off the table so they just went nurse -> NP.

I’ve only seen this a few times and they were all immigrants whose medical education wasn’t accepted by the US. MD/DO was basically off the table so they just went nurse -> NP.

So you know some MD/DO that went back to nursing school? Are you willing to share more details that you may have obtained peripherally about them?

the system extracts as much money from you as they can for any many hours for as intense a workload as possible, stopping just short of a revolt of the masses

At this point if the revolt of the proletariat is coming, let it come. The systems is totally untenable. 1 year at Wake Forest SOM is 91 thousand Dollars, 1 year at Creighton is 90K +, 1 year at Georgetown is 100K..for one Year. The people will not put up with this any longer.

Now I am focused on treating people very well and being good to people for now so when It comes, I might be spared in the oncoming slaughter.

At this point if the revolt of the proletariat is coming, let it come. The systems is totally untenable. 1 year at Wake Forest SOM is 91 thousand Dollars, 1 year at Creighton is 90K +, 1 year at Georgetown is 100K..for one Year. The people will not put up with this any longer.

Now I am focused on treating people very well and being good to people for now so when It comes, I might be spared in the oncoming slaughter.

Nothing about whatever the hell you just said was remotely on topic. You should just delete this post, because it's really stupid.

Reactions: 2 users
The bold seems to be exclusively american Idk what you are talking about.

The definition of “American” is in the eye of the beholder. It can mean totally lazy and entitled. It can mean pull yourself by the bootstraps. It can be anything in between.

Nothing about whatever the hell you just said was remotely on topic. You should just delete this post, because it's really stupid.
Can you please refrain from using cuss words at least. We are all doctors here. We can have strong opinions without them. I was just writing an aside to @ohmanwaddup comment. Nothing more than that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.