This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

-FRET-

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on applying to DO schools this cycle, but was able to obtain a physician's LoR last minute so I figured it was in my best interest given my stats. I wanted to know if mid-October is simply too late to submit my primaries for DO schools-

Sub-par stats (worst of it was an MCAT score drop 507--->501)
3.1 sGPA 3.47 cGPA (AMCAS calculations)
Great ECs, LoRs, and fully financially independent since I was 16 (worked 2 full-time jobs, steadily 70-90 hours a week, throughout undergrad).

Big question here for me is whether or not I need to submit NOW (if at all) or if I can wait until my fee waiver application is approved (~ 2 weeks). I'm looking at about 15 schools so almost $1000 for primaries and then paying for secondaries... I really need to know if it's worth it. I'm also considering cutting my school list down so I'm not a reapplicant at all of these schools if I have to try again next cycle.

Any help at all would be appreciated, thanks guys!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man I am not here to comment whether it's late or no. Frankly I don't really know tbh. But you seem like a strong candidate, and quite possibly may be able to find success.

But about that FAP. I did NOT qualify for FAP, but I do know quite a things about it. If you qualify for FAP you will saving ~$150 (primary app fee) + ~46 (1st school on your list primary fee) =$196 <- total amount you will be saving on your primaries. You will have to pay $46 on primary for every subsequent school you add to your list. But here is the good part: if you do qualify for FAP, i think most schools if not all will waive the secondary fee too which is always between $50-$100.

Reactions: 1 user
Technically, mid-October is not too late for DO schools. It’s not ideal, but it’s not too late. The MCAT score drop and <3.2 sGPA are a little worrisome to me. AACOMAS computes sGPA differently than AMCAS, though, so maybe your sGPA is higher. Overall, it’s hard to say. October isn’t too late, but it’s always best to apply sooner. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not late until December

I wasn't planning on applying to DO schools this cycle, but was able to obtain a physician's LoR last minute so I figured it was in my best interest given my stats. I wanted to know if mid-October is simply too late to submit my primaries for DO schools-

Sub-par stats (worst of it was an MCAT score drop 507--->501)
3.1 sGPA 3.47 cGPA (AMCAS calculations)
Great ECs, LoRs, and fully financially independent since I was 16 (worked 2 full-time jobs, steadily 70-90 hours a week, throughout undergrad).

Big question here for me is whether or not I need to submit NOW (if at all) or if I can wait until my fee waiver application is approved (~ 2 weeks). I'm looking at about 15 schools so almost $1000 for primaries and then paying for secondaries... I really need to know if it's worth it. I'm also considering cutting my school list down so I'm not a reapplicant at all of these schools if I have to try again next cycle.

Any help at all would be appreciated, thanks guys!!!
no, not at all. Even in a normal cycle, T-giving wouldn't be late. This cycle, you have until early Dec.