Midlevels and residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makati2008

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just worked a fast track shift with one of the PAs in our residency. The PA comes in and moves my stuff out of the way and says I'm taking your seat. ( There are other sections in our ED said person could sit especially since I am actively charting).

Very rude and disrespectful. Also the provider that appears weakest in the group and leaving soon....

I'm posting this to say just please remember to be nice/cordial to your resident colleagues because they will be the ones who employ and leaving a bad taste in their mouth with poor work ethic and attitude issues is why many physicians don't respect us(said person doesn't know I am/was a PA prior to going back). When I tried to say this to said provider I hear I don't care because I am leaving. Smh. This hasn't been her first job and I doubt the next will be her last.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
That provider only happens to be a PA. They could just have easily been an MD or RN or DPM.

The reason I brought that situation up is because the relationship between a PA-MD/DO is one where the Midlevel needs a Physician to be employed. I'm very pro-PA but I'm also a realist.

Last edited:
That was rather rude.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, but this person wasn't rude because they are a PA nor are PAs generally rude. You happened to encounter a rude person who happens to be a PA.

Problem is that a good chunk of docs already dislike our profession, why give them more ammo.

Y''all realize Makati used to be a PA, right.
I understand his point. don't antagonize potential future employers. as a corollary, generally don't be a DB to anyone, regardless of who you are or who they are.

Reactions: 3 users
I understand his point. don't antagonize potential future employers. as a corollary, generally don't be a DB to anyone, regardless of who you are or who they are.

Hit it on the head

Reactions: 1 user
Problem is that a good chunk of docs already dislike our profession, why give them more ammo.

Really! Their 'dislike' should be directed at NP. I will consider PA as my colleagues once I become a physician...

Makati - I'm curious why you didn't set this guy straight? If this DB does this to you, he will do it to other Docs (and other PAs) and make us all look bad.

From your brief description of your encounter, I think it could have gone very differently.

"Fred...got a second? It is Fred, right? Oh, it's James? Sorry, come over here for a second James. Thanks...see that stuff you just moved? It isn't yours, it's mine, so I would appreciate it if you didn't just come in here and move my things. Oh, and I'm sitting here charting, so you're not going to take my seat. Clear on that? Now James, I want to talk to you about a few other things. Are you a NP or a PA? Oh you're a PA? That's great, you know I am a PA too, right? Yeah, I'm also an Emergency Medicine Resident, which means that I'm getting a bit more of a perspective on two things I want to share with you. First, you act like a douche bag when you come in here, move my stuff and move to taking the seat that I as obviously sitting in. Worse yet, when you, as a PA, act like a douche bag to physicians, you can hurt the entire profession that is full of great, smart, hardworking people who often still struggle to advance their profession. And on that note, you're medical performance seems kind of weak in comparison with the other PAs (fill in a couple of examples of this). So Fred, do me a favor, put my stuff back, don't touch it again, and get out of my seat."

Key word there is generally. Oftentimes bullies get by with things because people are afraid of confronting them. See my post above! :)

Makati - I'm curious why you didn't set this guy straight? If this DB does this to you, he will do it to other Docs (and other PAs) and make us all look bad.

From your brief description of your encounter, I think it could have gone very differently.

"Fred...got a second? It is Fred, right? Oh, it's James? Sorry, come over here for a second James. Thanks...see that stuff you just moved? It isn't yours, it's mine, so I would appreciate it if you didn't just come in here and move my things. Oh, and I'm sitting here charting, so you're not going to take my seat. Clear on that? Now James, I want to talk to you about a few other things. Are you a NP or a PA? Oh you're a PA? That's great, you know I am a PA too, right? Yeah, I'm also an Emergency Medicine Resident, which means that I'm getting a bit more of a perspective on two things I want to share with you. First, you act like a douche bag when you come in here, move my stuff and move to taking the seat that I as obviously sitting in. Worse yet, when you, as a PA, act like a douche bag to physicians, you can hurt the entire profession that is full of great, smart, hardworking people who often still struggle to advance their profession. And on that note, you're medical performance seems kind of weak in comparison with the other PAs (fill in a couple of examples of this). So Fred, do me a favor, put my stuff back, don't touch it again, and get out of my seat."

Lol believe me if I weren't a resident I would have told her how I felt. At this point it's all about not rocking the boat and getting through residency.

This young person is a part of the new generation of PAs that I'm sad to see taking over (no life experience) and she is a privileged person that doesn't even have to work if I remember correctly.

None of the PAs know my previous background due to me keeping it a secret to keep my life easier but I'm always extremely nice to those guys because I've been where they are now. Heck there was a program I didn't rank because there was talk of removing the PA shifts and giving them to residents to moonlight( I disagree with this since people have families to support but could definitely use the money ) which made her attitude even more depressing because my current program could do the same thing.