Midwestern Glendale PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mila1998

Reaction score
Hello, I have recently been accepted into the PsyD Clinical Psychology program at Midwestern University (Glendale Campus). I have read some mixed reviews regarding this program, but had a very pleasant interview experience and the overall stats seem quite good. Are there any students that have completed this program and can offer me some insights?

Members don't see this ad.

Internship rates have been trending upward, though that follows more sites offering more spots. EPPP pass rate still very problematic.
I'm pretty sure they use a captive internship. That's why their match rate jumped so quickly about 3 years ago and it's what they are referring to when discussing the 2-year half-time internship on their website.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure they use a captive internship. That's why their match rate jumped so quickly about 3 years ago and it's what they are referring to when discussing the 2-year half-time internship on their website.

Oh, then this place is still no bueno.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, what is a captive internship?

Hi, what is a captive internship?

It's when a program creates their own internship experience in which they mostly place their own students. Most places that have done this have had historically bad success at placing students in APA accredited internships prior to doing so.

It's when a program creates their own internship experience in which they mostly place their own students. Most places that have done this have had historically bad success at placing students in APA accredited internships prior to doing so.
I understand, thanks for explaining this to me, I really appreciate it. And how do I spot this?

I understand, thanks for explaining this to me, I really appreciate it. And how do I spot this?
If you look at the outcome stats they have to post on their homepage, you'll generally notice a huge jump in their accredited internship match rate in a single year. The actual text is typically buried somewhere on their website, but you can see hints here or there, like using two-year part-time internships. Others will come out and say that they use a local consortium or some other language, but try to cast it as a positive thing.

Attrition rates have run between 25-33 percent! That's very high. Statistically around a 1 in 3-4 chance that you won't finish (losing a minimum of ~40k if you drop out after first year, and many probably last a few years). Remember- a year or two of doctoral clinical psych training have little value on their own, so those aren't great odds. How do you know - for certain- that you're one of the 7 out 10 who actually would make it? Are you 40k worth of certain? 80k? 160k? (and I can't believe that's a real tuition number!).

Reactions: 5 users
I’d run far from that level of debt for a program that does not have a strong reputation.

Reactions: 4 users
If you look at the outcome stats they have to post on their homepage, you'll generally notice a huge jump in their accredited internship match rate in a single year. The actual text is typically buried somewhere on their website, but you can see hints here or there, like using two-year part-time internships. Others will come out and say that they use a local consortium or some other language, but try to cast it as a positive thing.
I see what you mean, thanks for explaining it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Eye-movement desensitization and reprocessing. It's a pseudo scientific "therapy." If you're interested, read the dismantling studies.
That’s what I thought you meant. Okay, thanks!

Ok. So. The cost of one these types of programs was/is cost prohibitive (based on prudent/rationale financial thinking/planning) 10 years ago. And, frankly, probably 5-10 years before that, even?

Some of these programs now charge a tuition of 50k/year. And that does NOT include a living stipend or any other costs. That would now be medical school level debt for waaaay less than half the starting salary of a physician. That's crazy thinking. People need to get a grip here!

Last edited:
Internship rates have been trending upward, though that follows more sites offering more spots. EPPP pass rate still very problematic.
Can you suggest a resource for finding the most up to date EPPP pass rates for programs?

Can you suggest a resource for finding the most up to date EPPP pass rates for programs?

ASPPB puts this info out periodically. The last one I saw was 2017 I believe, but these things are generally consistent over time, and you can check older reports to see how consistent. They used to publish an aggregate number over x number of years, but I don't know where that went.

APA Accredited programs are required to publish this data on their program websites. It's typically in a section titled "Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data." If you can't easily find this info on the program website, the program is either non-APA accredited or trying to hide something. If you can't find the info there, you probably shouldn't consider that program.

I believe that they have to publish their licensure percentage, but not their EPPP pass rate on their program page.

APA Accredited programs are required to publish this data on their program websites. It's typically in a section titled "Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data." If you can't easily find this info on the program website, the program is either non-APA accredited or trying to hide something. If you can't find the info there, you probably shouldn't consider that program.
Programs publish their licensure percentages in the "Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data" area but not the EPPP pass rate data.
www.asppb.net/resource/resmgr/eppp_/2017_Doctoral_Report.pdf

This is 2015-2017 1st time test taker data. I'm sure you can google up PDFs with previous ASPPB data to see longer trends.
This is helpful. Thank you.

I'm always confused by what are APA vs. CUDCP requirements, not that it necessarily a huge or meaningful difference.

Hi All! I attended Midwestern University's program and would love to answer any questions you have. I had a wonderful experience at this program and was one of the first individuals to graduate from the Neuropsychology Track (Dr. Powell has done an excellent job cultivating this program). I am happy to hear you had a wonderful experience during the interview process. The faculty is really what made me choose to go to Midwestern University and I was not disappointed. Just FYI, Midwestern does NOT have an internship program, so I am not quite sure what the above posts are referring to. I matched to my number one site and my cohort had a 100% match rate. Please let me know if you have any specific questions!

Hello, I have recently been accepted into the PsyD Clinical Psychology program at Midwestern University (Glendale Campus). I have read some mixed reviews regarding this program, but had a very pleasant interview experience and the overall stats seem quite good. Are there any students that have completed this program and can offer me some insights?
Hey Mila1998,
I actually recently graduated from MWU. Overall I had a very positive experience. I found the faculty to be incredibly supportive and I had a really great relationship with each of them. They knew me by name (I wasn’t just a number) and always treated me with respect. What you saw on interview day is what you actually get. As a graduate, I’ve made the transition from student to colleague and maintain a close relationship with some of the faculty. MWU also has a variety of leadership, research, and extra curricular activities to choose from. I was part of the neuro track and opted to go heavier on research and leadership opportunities. I felt the opportunities were enough and I matched for internship. As previously stated, MWU does not have an internal internship. Of note, I also participated in the APPCN match last year and matched to my #1 choice for a neuropsych fellowship at a major hospital. There are scholarships that can help ease the burden of paying for school and the cost of living in Glendale is really reasonable.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to shoot me a message!

Last edited:
This info is incorrect. MWU does not have a “captive internship”, please fact check prior to posting especially if you are not affiliated with a program or have not been affiliated with a program for some time.

This info is incorrect. MWU does not have a “captive internship”, please fact check prior to posting especially if you are not affiliated with a program or have not been affiliated with a program for some time.
Thanks for advice. I'll try to keep in mind the next time we're discussing diploma mills.

There are scholarships that can help ease the burden of paying for school and the cost of living in Glendale is really reasonable.
Can you estimate what the average debt burden a student should anticipate after attending this program? It looks like the cost per year is north of 40K and that does not include living expenses. I wonder how many people get these scholarships and how much are the scholarships? The program seems to have a decent attrition rate, is that due to the cost?

I think it is great that faculty know you by name and that you are collegial with them. Some might say that should be the norm for programs rather than something that sets a program apart. One would think that with such a large price tag one would get more than the standard experience.

I hope you understand my goal is not to attack you or your experience. As stated earlier in this thread (and throughout countless threads in this forum), costs are a major handicap later in life. The average clinical psychologist does not make the same salary as the average psychiatrist. Internship does not pay well and postdoc can vary a lot.

I hope you understand my goal is not to attack you or your experience. As stated earlier in this thread (and throughout countless threads in this forum), costs are a major handicap later in life. The average clinical psychologist does not make the same salary as the average psychiatrist. Internship does not pay well and postdoc can vary a lot.
I'm early career and work a standard GS-13 VA job and it covers my expenses & retirement. I've noticed that some of my VA supervisors/colleagues who also worked full-time for the VA and did private practice on top were more likely to have attended PsyD programs (including at VAs that often offered EDRP loan forgiveness).

Perhaps they are just very work-oriented/aren't raising kids/etc, but I'm really glad that I don't feel the financial pressure to maintain a side hustle, which wouldn't be the case if I was carrying a massive debt burden.

I honestly wonder if we're going to see even more of these in the next few years with congress putting out that the "forgiveness" is tax free. Legit makes me worry.
Wait, so they've announced that the 25-year income-based repayment plan forgiveness is actually tax-free now? The PSLF forgiveness has always been tax-free, but I didn't realize they reversed course on the 25-year forgiveness tax bomb.

Wait, so they've announced that the 25-year income-based repayment plan forgiveness is actually tax-free now? The PSLF forgiveness has always been tax-free, but I didn't realize they reversed course on the 25-year forgiveness tax bomb.

Yep. As part of the covid plan from what I recall.

It was silly to think this wouldn't happen. For alot of people on the IBR plans, the loan balance grows over the years due to interest. The IRS was not gonna bankrupt a working professional who payed his loans every month for 25 years.

It was silly to think this wouldn't happen. For alot of people on the IBR plans, the loan balance grows over the years due to interest. The IRS was not gonna bankrupt a working professional who payed his loans every month for 25 years.
More importantly, the tax bomb was punishing the victims of predatory institutions. Yes, they are smart enough to know better, but with other crimes we don't leave the predator unscathed and put all the burden on the victims. Instead of focusing on a crab mentality to pull down people who are in huge debt because of grad school, we should be focused on regulating or banning these predatory institutions.

A lot of this is going to require people to hold their noses and actually get involved in the APA and other professional advocacy so we stop letting the huge numbers of diploma mill grads (who will pay dues and be involved) control the narrative and rules.

More importantly, the tax bomb was punishing the victims of predatory institutions. Yes, they are smart enough to know better, but with other crimes we don't leave the predator unscathed and put all the burden on the victims. Instead of focusing on a crab mentality to pull down people who are in huge debt because of grad school, we should be focused on regulating or banning these predatory institutions.

A lot of this is going to require people to hold their noses and actually get involved in the APA and other professional advocacy so we stop letting the huge numbers of diploma mill grads (who will pay dues and be involved) control the narrative and rules.

Part of this is legal beyond just having APA take a stance. They have to have a legal and objective way to limit the mills, otherwise we'll spend tens of millions fighting restriction of trade lawsuits.

Hey Mila1998,
I actually recently graduated from MWU. Overall I had a very positive experience. I found the faculty to be incredibly supportive and I had a really great relationship with each of them. They knew me by name (I wasn’t just a number) and always treated me with respect. What you saw on interview day is what you actually get. As a graduate, I’ve made the transition from student to colleague and maintain a close relationship with some of the faculty. MWU also has a variety of leadership, research, and extra curricular activities to choose from. I was part of the neuro track and opted to go heavier on research and leadership opportunities. I felt the opportunities were enough and I matched for internship. As previously stated, MWU does not have an internal internship. Of note, I also participated in the APPCN match last year and matched to my #1 choice for a neuropsych fellowship at a major hospital. There are scholarships that can help ease the burden of paying for school and the cost of living in Glendale is really reasonable.
I am sincerely happy that things have worked out for you. I encourage the OP to contact you and get your perspective on the program. However, recognize that this is subjective data (as are the opinions of the posters on this board). In the end, you need to give much more weight to the OBJECTIVE data. This program 25-33% of the students who have entered this program do not finish, yet still have to pay tuition for the coursework that is not likely to transfer elsewhere. If tuition is financed in the traditional student loan format, it will result in a level of debt (monthly payments in the 1k-2k range) that will have significant impacts on your future lifestyle when calculated against even mid-career median psychologists salaries. It would be disingenuous to say that- should you actually complete the program and get licensed- you wouldn't be able to get a decent job, but you would be cut off from several employment opportunities prima facie. There may be options for loan forgiveness (never guaranteed), but this would also limit your employment opportunities. Many student who matriculate (probably even most of them) at this program end up making a living as a psychologist. Objective data indicated that, however, many do not. Of those who do, the high tuition suggests that many students end up with life-style crippling levels of student loan debt.

As an aside- at many programs, not only do the professors know the student's names, but their own spouses and children do as well. It's seen more as the first step in a collaborative process that often lasts a lifetime, starting with a mentor-mentee relationship, moving to colleagues, with friendship developing along the way.

Reactions: 6 users
Part of this is legal beyond just having APA take a stance. They have to have a legal and objective way to limit the mills, otherwise we'll spend tens of millions fighting restriction of trade lawsuits.
A large chunk of them would eliminated if they banned captive internship sites and set strict minimum standards, e.g., internship match rates, attrition, limits on tuition.

As an aside- at many programs, not only do the professors know the student's names, but their own spouses and children do as well. It's seen more as the first step in a collaborative process that often lasts a lifetime, starting with a mentor-mentee relationship, moving to colleagues, with friendship developing along the way.
My mentor knows my wife well and they are very friendly and conversant during any lab social activities. All the faculty in my program know me and most know my dog as well.

It's wild to hear students and grads from unfunded programs brag about basic humanity from the faculty in their programs.

Reactions: 2 users
A large chunk of them would eliminated if they banned captive internship sites and set strict minimum standards, e.g., internship match rates, attrition, limits on tuition.

Not that easy. If the captive internship site meets APA accrediting standards, you're setting up a challenge lawsuit. Limiting tuition may also be hard to enforce without a lawsuit. I am in total agreement that this should be done, but acknowledge that it is legally difficult to do so under our nation's current legal system.

I agree, I'm just a little surprised it actually did happen.

My mentor knows my wife well and they are very friendly and conversant during any lab social activities. All the faculty in my program know me and most know my dog as well.

It's wild to hear students and grads from unfunded programs brag about basic humanity from the faculty in their programs.
My hypothesis is that the marketing material from these institutions target students who do not have models for what graduate study should look like (e.g., first-generation, neglectful mentors in their undergraduate labs), so their experience of higher education is swollen classes where they rarely interact with a professor or graduate TA, thereby feeling like "just a number". When I was considering an FSPS, I was awed by their "small classes" (seminars of 15 students) and "low student-to-faculty ratio" (despite having cohorts of 50-60 students) because up until then I did not know that that was not what graduate study was supposed to be.

My cohort now, at a funded Ph.D. program, is fewer than 10 students. Hard to be just a number in this environment.

Reactions: 3 users
Linking to this must-read thread again: A PsyD story (mostly $$$ talk)

Also, it’s an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think captive internships are inherently bad as long as they meet APA standards. Honestly, I think that it’s a bit ridiculous that we have a national interview process and have people make cross-country moves for one year of training.

Reactions: 5 users
Also, it’s an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think captive internships are inherently bad as long as they meet APA standards. Honestly, I think that it’s a bit ridiculous that we have a national interview process and have people make cross-country moves for one year of training.
Agreed. If we want less poor-quality programs we need to make more high-quality programs. I am in support of smaller state schools starting PsyD programs even if they can only provide partial tuition remission but charge typical in-state tuition. The idea of a school asking for over 40K a year is insane (I mean it is like 3X insane).

Since we are talking about it, funding for training program grants (at the grad, internship, and postdoc level) is a big issue that APA is lobbying for in future appropriations bills. I just had a ton of capitol hill meetings last week with legislators where this was one of the discussion points. If ya'll are serious about this issue, it's another reason to support your state and federal practice orgs.

UT Southwestern is probably the best example of a captive internship done right. I’m torn on the topic, ideally a captive internship would be nice to cut down on some of the expenses and logistical/life challenges of a clinical psychology degree. At the same time, the National match process is one of the few ways predatory programs get held accountable for sub par training. Stricter guidelines for grad program APA accreditation would fix some of that I believe.

Yeah, it's a bit absurd that applying to and moving for internship is so cumbersome and captive internships are not inherently bad in principle, but it's important to look how they're actually being used. They aren't being used to, say, allow clinical science students to continue their research while fulfilling internship requirements, which can be difficult, or to save considerable money for prospective interns (what's a few thousand more in debt for someone who is already over $200,000 in debt from tuition alone?). No, by and large they are used by diploma mills and other poor quality programs to artificially inflate their match stats. That way, they can further deceive prospective students and employers about the quality of their programs and policies (e.g., admitting anyone with a heartbeat).

It's just like the rationale for developing PsyD programs in the first place. Ostensibly, they exist to produce more practicing psychologists by being slightly more clinical focused than scientist practitioner programs, but without losing or watering down the research training. In practice, outside of a few outliers, they're incredibly expensive and completely poor financial decisions, at best.

I agree. To have completion of your degree based on factors that are- to some extent- outside of the control of the school and the student seems a bit problematic to me. Also, while I certainly hope some programs weren't/aren't that predatory, there actually is a potential financial incentive for expensive tuition-based programs to have students hang around longer and pay for an extra year (particularly when the active role of the school and faculty is greatly reduced in those later, extra years).

UT Southwestern is probably the best example of a captive internship done right. I’m torn on the topic, ideally a captive internship would be nice to cut down on some of the expenses and logistical/life challenges of a clinical psychology degree. At the same time, the National match process is one of the few ways predatory programs get held accountable for sub par training. Stricter guidelines for grad program APA accreditation would fix some of that I believe.
That's the program I think of when I think of a solid captive site. Unfortunately, many of the rest (but not all) use a captive site as a way to match and essentially hide less competitive students.