Midwestern (MA) SMP vs. Rutgers (MBS) SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dirk4mvp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having hard time deciding between MWU 1 yr masters and Rutgers 1 yr masters. The cost of attendance is roughly the same after evaluating the cost of living in both cities. So it really comes down to which program yields higher percentage in getting students into dental school.

MWU does give 2 guaranteed interviews at both MWU dental schools, but I'm not sure how its going to help me academically. (I've taken most of classes MWU offers in undergrad level) MWU offers Masters of Arts, which also makes me wonder if that's going to cost me elsewhere if I can't grab a seat at MWU.

Rutgers however, isn't oos friendly and does not have direct linkage to their dental school. But what I like about Rutgers is they offer Masters of Biological Sciences Concentration in Oral Biology and give students opportunity to take dental school courses. I figure this would be better for me academically because I have not taken much of the classes they offer in their program.

Also did anyone here finish Rutgers program in 1 year? I really want to work hard and finish the program in 1 academic year. To those that finished either MWU or Rutgers masters, please chime in and help me choose between the two. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

the rutgers program is a really, really solid deal. i'm glad that i did it. i did the 1.5 year track

you get to take dental school courses and have exposure to a very good school from a clinical perspective. you can shadow and all of that to really get a good sense of what the dental school life is like.

rutgers not being oos friendly....yes and no. if you're from anywhere else other than the tri state area, you'll have a tougher time getting in, but it's definitely possible. they grant masters people interviews if you have a 20 and a 3.5 in the masters program (that's what i was told). even if you don't get into rutgers for dental school, doing well in this program will set you up for many potential interviews and acceptances. everyone that i know personally has gotten into a dental school from this program. a lot of people tend to get into nyu, tufts, bu, and nova from this school (coincidentally these schools also favor masters students).

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, DentStudentc/0217. Do you know if good number of people finish the program in 1 year successfully? Like 12 credits in the fall, 12 in the spring 6 in the summer or 15 in the fall 15 in the spring. I've been out of school for a year and I'm motivated to study hard like there is no tomorrow. I heard they invite students to their dental school courses. Do most people get in if they request it? How does that work?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, DentStudentc/0217. Do you know if good number of people finish the program in 1 year successfully? Like 12 credits in the fall, 12 in the spring 6 in the summer or 15 in the fall 15 in the spring. I've been out of school for a year and I'm motivated to study hard like there is no tomorrow. I heard they invite students to their dental school courses. Do most people get in if they request it? How does that work?

yeah, i know plenty of people that have done it in a year. be smart about which courses you pick. your advisor will highly recommend certain courses for you to take when the time comes so that you don't overwhelm yourself.

and the dental school courses that you can take: oral microbio (d2 course, although they may have changed it to a d1 course)--either way you can sign up for this on your own; oral immunology (d1)--you can take it on your own....other courses include dental biochemistry, dental physiology, dental histology(all of these are d1 courses)--you need to be invited to take these courses. selection is based off of DAT score and GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
This info was very useful. Thank you.

Just curious, which Rutgers SMP are you referring to? I know the one in New Brunswick is fairly new vs the one in Newark. I am debating on going this route myself as my undergrad marks aren't what you would necessarily call "stellar"

I was referring to the Newark program.

I am having hard time deciding between MWU 1 yr masters and Rutgers 1 yr masters. The cost of attendance is roughly the same after evaluating the cost of living in both cities. So it really comes down to which program yields higher percentage in getting students into dental school.

MWU does give 2 guaranteed interviews at both MWU dental schools, but I'm not sure how its going to help me academically. (I've taken most of classes MWU offers in undergrad level) MWU offers Masters of Arts, which also makes me wonder if that's going to cost me elsewhere if I can't grab a seat at MWU.

Rutgers however, isn't oos friendly and does not have direct linkage to their dental school. But what I like about Rutgers is they offer Masters of Biological Sciences Concentration in Oral Biology and give students opportunity to take dental school courses. I figure this would be better for me academically because I have not taken much of the classes they offer in their program.

Also did anyone here finish Rutgers program in 1 year? I really want to work hard and finish the program in 1 academic year. To those that finished either MWU or Rutgers masters, please chime in and help me choose between the two. Thanks!

Midwestern's program offers all the science classes you will take in your first year of dental school. Many dental students that have done the 9 month program easily finished first year of dental school! Also you are guaranteed 2 interviews which they highly accept from both Midwestern schools, if they see you can handle their course load. With this program, I can say that I got 5 interviews and 3 acceptances with a 3.2 gpa undergrad and 20 DAT. Last year I received no interviews. Good Luck on your choice of where you want to go but this is just another opinion from a Midwestern student.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey I'm on the same boat. Trying to decide between Rutgers MBS and Midwestern MBS (2 yr track). Thanks yko0584 and DentStudentc/o2017 for your comments! I had horrible undergraduate GPA (3.04) so I am hoping for a GPA repair from these programs. I am leaning to Midwestern because 1. I graduated from an Indiana university and 2. the avg GPA of their accepted dental students is lower than Rutgers. Besides I am an international student so whenever I hear some dental schools being oos unfriendly I am just like errrr. But I really think the dental school courses in Rutgers MBS program would really look good on your application and get you noticed by other dental schools.

Help please?

I decided on midwestern. Can't beat the guaranteed interview. I heard majority of dental track students get into their dental program.

Reactions: 1 user
I decided on midwestern. Can't beat the guaranteed interview. I heard majority of dental track students get into their dental program.

I'm wondering about the Midwestern 9 month MBS program starting in fall 2015. Will this help one's chances for dental admission for the fall 2016 class. Like have most students in the program already sent their application for dental school while they are currently enrolled in the MBS program? Or do most people apply for dental school after completing the program.

And are the guaranteed interviews for current students of the MBS program, or are they for graduates of the program?