Midwestern University (Downer's Grove) Interview Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss Hopeful PT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends! I had my physical therapy interview at Midwestern University, Downer's Grove. I searched high and low for information on what to expect and couldn't find any prior to my interview, so I'm hoping you will find this post helpful!

The interviewers were Sarah Keller, Timothy Hanke, Joseph Krzak, Kathy O'Hagan, Kent Irwin and Janey Prodoehl. The session starts with a meet and greet with the admissions counselor.

Then you have a 25 minute written essay portion where you will answer one of 2 questions (you choose which one you answer)....unfortunately I do not remember the first prompt. However, the second question was: What role do physical therapists play in relation to physicians, nurses, physician assistants and pharmacists?

Your essay is then given to the interviewers, this is all they will know of you before you enter the interview room, so what you write in this essay could benefit you immensely. Each candidate interviews with 2 faculty members at the same time. These are examples of some of the questions asked today:

1) What do you know about APTA Vision?
2) What do you know about Direct Access?
3) What are the strengths and weaknesses of Direct Access?
4) Why do you want to go to Midwestern?
6) When were you challenged and how did you overcome this challenge?
7) What were your volunteer experiences like?
8) What is your major weakness?
9) What traits do you feel a successful physical therapist should have?
10) If you could take 3 people that are not family to a deserted island with you, who would they be and why?
11) If you could be any animal what would you be and why?
12) What specific experience did you take from your volunteering/observation time that you can see yourself using as a future PT?

Based on the feedback I got, some of the interviewees had extremely structured interviews, while others just had casual conversation with their interviewers. One key thing I learned today is that this is not a research school. When someone asked about it the faculty seemed to get pretty annoyed. They stressed that their focus is teaching and not researching.

After the interviews there was a campus tour with 2 first year DPT students. After the tour we got lunch.

And that was it! Let me know if there are any questions! I'd be happy to answer them!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do you mind sharing your stats that got you the interview? I'm anxiously to hear back!

Thank you so much for this helpful post! When did they inform you of your interview? They have been pretty quiet and I haven't heard back yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for this helpful post! When did they inform you of your interview? They have been pretty quiet and I haven't heard back yet.

No problem! They informed me of my interview about 3 weeks before the actual interview date.

Hi Friends! I had my physical therapy interview at Midwestern University, Downer's Grove. I searched high and low for information on what to expect and couldn't find any prior to my interview, so I'm hoping you will find this post helpful!

The interviewers were Sarah Keller, Timothy Hanke, Joseph Krzak, Kathy O'Hagan, Kent Irwin and Janey Prodoehl. The session starts with a meet and greet with the admissions counselor.

Then you have a 25 minute written essay portion where you will answer one of 2 questions (you choose which one you answer)....unfortunately I do not remember the first prompt. However, the second question was: What role do physical therapists play in relation to physicians, nurses, physician assistants and pharmacists?

Your essay is then given to the interviewers, this is all they will know of you before you enter the interview room, so what you write in this essay could benefit you immensely. Each candidate interviews with 2 faculty members at the same time. These are examples of some of the questions asked today:

10) If you could take 3 people that are not family to a deserted island with you, who would they be and why?
12) What specific experience did you take from your volunteering/observation time that you can see yourself using as a future PT?

Based on the feedback I got, some of the interviewees had extremely structured interviews, while others just had casual conversation with their interviewers. One key thing I learned today is that this is not a research school. When someone asked about it the faculty seemed to get pretty annoyed. They stressed that their focus is teaching and not researching.

After the interviews there was a campus tour with 2 first year DPT students. After the tour we got lunch.

And that was it! Let me know if there are any questions! I'd be happy to answer them!
If you dont mind me asking, when did you submit your application? I submitted mine around Oct 13th. I received the basic emails, that my stuff was received but nothing since then.

I submitted my app at the beginning of September and my PTCAS finally got verified at the end of September. I was notified a few days after that MW got my application. I got invited for an interview a couple of days after that. Good luck!

What did you think about the overall interview process? Was it difficult? Did you feel comfortable? Did you get accepted?