Midwestern University DVM 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you have the Accepted Checklist (and not just the applicant checklist) it means you were accepted to Midwestern!

Congrats! :)
Thank you! I actually got confirmation over e-mail that I've been accepted! Basically ruined by own surprise, but I'm sooo happy! Gah!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone who interviewed on March 3rd heard back yet? The wait is killing me!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! You've all been awesome with advice so far, so I was hoping for some input on a dilemma I'm having. I currently have a cat and I'm fostering an awesome, one year old, 28 pound hound mix. I was considering adopting her, but I'm hesitant because of the big move to AZ and the time commitment of vet school. Anyone planning on bringing their dog to school or have any opinions on this??

Attachments

• 20170315_210323.jpg
    20170315_210323.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 65
Hi guys!

I had an interview on 2/27 and haven't heard anything back yet....our group was kind of big...like 30 people or so.. maybe that's why I haven't heard back? Just wanted to see if anyone else from 2/27 has heard anything yet! I'm starting to get nervous..

Hi everyone! You've all been awesome with advice so far, so I was hoping for some input on a dilemma I'm having. I currently have a cat and I'm fostering an awesome, one year old, 28 pound hound mix. I was considering adopting her, but I'm hesitant because of the big move to AZ and the time commitment of vet school. Anyone planning on bringing their dog to school or have any opinions on this??

When I had my interview there a student who was currently enrolled talked to us for a bit and said she had her dog with her and she knew other people who also brought their dogs with them. That being said, I think it probably just depends on your time management and how well you think you can handle it!

Hi guys!

I had an interview on 2/27 and haven't heard anything back yet....our group was kind of big...like 30 people or so.. maybe that's why I haven't heard back? Just wanted to see if anyone else from 2/27 has heard anything yet! I'm starting to get nervous..
Have you checked your MWU portal?

She is precious! :love:

I will definitely have my babies with me if I get in, but that's easy for me to say since I already live in AZ and have a s/o to help out when vet school days are long.

I wish I could give you more sound advice, but maybe @hazelmoo or @Penelope Renee could help you out with your question :)

Absolutely bring her!! You'll have plenty of time for her, especially when you're studying at home!

Reactions: 2 users

I know a few people with dogs at MWU and they all seem to make it work. I know one girl uses doggie daycare for her puppy (which is pretty reasonably priced in the area) on her long days. It has the added benefit of giving her study time while her pup is tired out at night. It's an added expense but a good option for long days in class.

Reactions: 1 users
Is everyone getting the Financial Aid pop up? I'm on the waitlist and I got a notification to do the financial aid form?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is everyone getting the Financial Aid pop up? I'm on the waitlist and I got a notification to do the financial aid form?
Yes, I have the little pop up!

Reactions: 1 user
For the accepted students that are OOS, how are you locating housing?

I've done the online thing before but it seems like the 'affordable' housing near campus seems to have horrid reviews.

The list provided by the school is a bit outdated and a few of the complexes don't exist anymore.

For the accepted students that are OOS, how are you locating housing?

I've done the online thing before but it seems like the 'affordable' housing near campus seems to have horrid reviews.

The list provided by the school is a bit outdated and a few of the complexes don't exist anymore.

Have you tried looking at:
Sagestone at Arrowhead Apartments or
San Lagos Apartments

I recently stayed the night with a friend who lives at San Lagos and is in dental school at MWU. The apartment he is in is a 1-bedroom on the 2nd floor and I really liked it. I stayed on a Tuesday night and the complex was pretty quiet. He said he loves it and has been there for 3 years. :)

San Lagos Apartments

I recently stayed the night with a friend who lives at San Lagos and is in dental school at MWU. The apartment he is in is a 1-bedroom on the 2nd floor and I really liked it. I stayed on a Tuesday night and the complex was pretty quiet. He said he loves it and has been there for 3 years. :)

I'll have to look those up!
I'd prefer living on campus for the first year until I know the area a little but I like to have a backup plan just in case.

Thank you!

San Lagos Apartments

I'll have to look those up!
I'd prefer living on campus for the first year until I know the area a little but I like to have a backup plan just in case.

Thank you!

San Lagos is a really nice apartment complex! My two best friends live there and we study at their apartment every weekend. It's very quiet and most of the residents are MWU students. Sagestone, San Lagos and San Prado, the three closest complexes to campus, are definitely the most expensive in the area. If you are looking to spend less, consider having a roommate or checking out other places. There are a lot of complexes near the Arrowhead mall (off of 79th ave) that are nice. I live at Sonoma Ridge and all of the units have recently been renovated and it's three exits away from campus. I would recommend, if you haven't already joined, checking out the main Midwestern Facebook page as well as the main Veterinary page along with your class page. Students are constantly looking for roommates around this time.

All classes CVM page- https://www.facebook.com/groups/MWUCVM/
All colleges MWU Glendale page- Midwestern University, Glendale AZ

San Lagos is a really nice apartment complex! My two best friends live there and we study at their apartment every weekend. It's very quiet and most of the residents are MWU students. Sagestone, San Lagos and San Prado, the three closest complexes to campus, are definitely the most expensive in the area. If you are looking to spend less, consider having a roommate or checking out other places. There are a lot of complexes near the Arrowhead mall (off of 79th ave) that are nice. I live at Sonoma Ridge and all of the units have recently been renovated and it's three exits away from campus. I would recommend, if you haven't already joined, checking out the main Midwestern Facebook page as well as the main Veterinary page along with your class page. Students are constantly looking for roommates around this time.

All classes CVM page- https://www.facebook.com/groups/MWUCVM/
All colleges MWU Glendale page- Midwestern University, Glendale AZ

Thank you!!!

I was getting a little worried seeing as most of the apartments are $980+ (I'm a Texan and it's dirt cheap here), but the MWU Glendale page is so helpful.

Does anyone commute from a bit further away? I live in Tempe/Mesa right now and am curious about going to Midwestern, but not sure if I'll have to move...

Can any current students shed some light on the dress code? Specifically, visible tattoos. I've been trying to find information on it and can't seem to find anything. I know during the interview they mention business casual clothing, but nothing else was really mentioned. Appreciate it!

Declined my seat. Good luck to those still waiting :)

Reactions: 6 users
Is it just me or is the MWU thread a lot more quite than it has been in years past? Does anyone know how many people have officially accepted a seat for the class of 2021? I know we still have about 3 weeks to go for numbers to be totaled and alternates offered seats, but I'm just curious.

Is it just me or is the MWU thread a lot more quite than it has been in years past? Does anyone know how many people have officially accepted a seat for the class of 2021? I know we still have about 3 weeks to go for numbers to be totaled and alternates offered seats, but I'm just curious.
I've been quietly counting from the people on here...so far it seems to break about even from the number of people who declined seats and the number of people on the alternate list. :whistle::whistle:

I've been quietly counting from the people on here...so far it seems to break about even from the number of people who declined seats and the number of people on the alternate list. :whistle::whistle:
I have been too, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being too hopeful. I feel like there aren't as many SDN members on here attending MWU this year which makes the numbers game harder to gauge.

Does anyone commute from a bit further away? I live in Tempe/Mesa right now and am curious about going to Midwestern, but not sure if I'll have to move...

I have friends that live farther. One friend lives in Mesa and commutes an hour each way for school every day. It's harder, but she listens to lectures in the car and makes it work!

Hi friends! I will be denying my seat this week :) Best of luck to you all waiting!!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi friends! I will be denying my seat this week :) Best of luck to you all waiting!!
Thank you for opening a seat for those of us waiting and best of luck to you! Where did you decide to go?

Can any current students shed some light on the dress code? Specifically, visible tattoos. I've been trying to find information on it and can't seem to find anything. I know during the interview they mention business casual clothing, but nothing else was really mentioned. Appreciate it!
So unfortunately I'm not the best person to answer this question, but I figured I would try. There are quite a few students with visible tattoos. The faculty has never made a big deal about them being covered up fully, but a classmate who has full sleeve tattoos has mentioned on a post before that she has been asked to try and cover up most of her tattoos. In the student handbook, it does mention that when in clinics and working with clients, tattoos are to be discretely covered and all piercings except in ears need to be removed. If you are on Facebook maybe check on the main CVM group page, I feel like this question was answered before (or you can post this question again) and my classmates with tattoos were very helpful.

Thank you for opening a seat for those of us waiting and best of luck to you! Where did you decide to go?

I'll be attending the University of Illinois! I loved it as much as Midwestern but it was cheaper and much closer to home :)

Reactions: 4 users
I currently live in Tempe too! But my dad lives about 10 mins north of Midwestern. I personally hate the traffic and will be moving back in with him (to cut costs too but I really hate traffic). Personally for me I would never be able to handle the drive which is typically 40 mins and add morning traffic on top and it increases to an hour and a half. Plus housing is generally the same price if not slightly cheaper up north than in Tempe. Hope that helps!

I wonder when the emails will start rolling out...this waiting is killing me!! :D

Reactions: 3 users
To give those of you waiting a better idea, right now there are 70 people on the 2021 group on Facebook. There are some upperclassman in the group as well so I don't think it's that many but still gives you some kind of idea :)

To give those of you waiting a better idea, right now there are 70 people on the 2021 group on Facebook. There are some upperclassman in the group as well so I don't think it's that many but still gives you some kind of idea :)
I think I remember you saying you had already paid your deposit at MWU but you were also accepted to another school? Did you make up your mind to attend MWU? :)

Anyone else still on the wait list for an interview?

I think I remember you saying you had already paid your deposit at MWU but you were also accepted to another school? Did you make up your mind to attend MWU? :)

I did! I decided that I should go with the school I got a better feel from despite "prestige of the schools" and will be happily starting MWU in August!

YOU GUYS. This wait is KILLING ME. XD Hope no one else is frazzled like I am! :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
I'm denying my offer! Good luck guys :)

Reactions: 5 users
I'm denying my offer! Good luck guys :)
Thanks for the heads up and opening up a spot :) Where did you decide to go @ilikecake ?

I did! I decided that I should go with the school I got a better feel from despite "prestige of the schools" and will be happily starting MWU in August!
Congrats! I hope to join you in the fall if all works out. How many upper classmen do you think belong to the Fb group @saff1991?

I'm dying over here too :bored:. Its the start of April though, so the countdown begins...

I got the e-mail about vaccinations and health stuff from LMU recently and I was just like CAN YOU HOLD ON A SEC, I GOTTA HEAR FROM MIDWESTERN FIRST.

I was just like CAN YOU HOLD ON A SEC, I GOTTA HEAR FROM MIDWESTERN FIRST.
Hahahahahaha...I wish so much that I could like this more than once. Hopefully the wait will be over sooner than later :xf:

at least 15 that i can tell for sure!
Thanks! That sounds like a reasonable number. :)
2 more weeks and hopefully those of us waiting will hear something. Sometimes it feels like it's taking forrrrever and then I stop and think, "Holy s*** it's already April!"

Thanks! That sounds like a reasonable number. :)
2 more weeks and hopefully those of us waiting will hear something. Sometimes it feels like it's taking forrrrever and then I stop and think, "Holy s*** it's already April!"
Hey!:)
For the FB count, I followed the group just get an inside look haha and I think a few others might have followed like me but are not officially in the class.
I really hope we hear back soon!!

Hey!:)
For the FB count, I followed the group just get an inside look haha and I think a few others might have followed like me but are not officially in the class.
I really hope we hear back soon!!
I didn't even know you could do that!