Midwestern University DVM 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! I am new to this forum and apologize if I am asking any of the same questions as anyone else did.

Anyway, I had my application marked as complete on September 15th, and heard that it was up for review. I still haven't heard anything since, is anyone else in the same boat? It is making me nervous that they are already accepting applicants when they haven't even gone through all of the applications.

For those who went through the interview- did you like the school? What kind of questions did they ask you?

Midwestern is one of the US schools that I would like to go to the most. I've heard they offer many opportunities to get hands on experience early on. Here's to hoping I hear something soon.
You should check your status on your web portal. It should tell you if you have been offered an interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am new to this forum and apologize if I am asking any of the same questions as anyone else did.

Anyway, I had my application marked as complete on September 15th, and heard that it was up for review. I still haven't heard anything since, is anyone else in the same boat? It is making me nervous that they are already accepting applicants when they haven't even gone through all of the applications.

For those who went through the interview- did you like the school? What kind of questions did they ask you?

Midwestern is one of the US schools that I would like to go to the most. I've heard they offer many opportunities to get hands on experience early on. Here's to hoping I hear something soon.

Don't be nervous. I submitted my application really early (like in July). And I interviewed on 9/21. It's just how they do their acceptance process. They invite people to interview in a certain month and at the end of that month they review people who were interviewed and offer acceptances. They meet and offer interviews throughout the year so I wouldn't be too worried.

I absolutely loved the school. I'll be honest, Midwestern was at the bottom of my list when I applied and now after visiting, they are at the top. Everything is amazing there and the faculty are all super nice and are really invested. I would be prepared for the "why Midwestern" question and ethical questions.

You should check your status on your web portal. It should tell you if you have been offered an interview.

I have not gotten an email yet, and just checked my portal again, and there is nothing. It would be right when you sign in right under "message center", correct?

Members don't see this ad :)

My questions included: Why do you want to be a vet? What type of vet? Why Midwestern? Hobbies? How do you stay on top of coursework? What makes you unique? How would your friends describe you? What do you do if a client wants to put down a healthy animal?

Reactions: 1 user
I have not gotten an email yet, and just checked my portal again, and there is nothing. It would be right when you sign in right under "message center", correct?

Yes I believe so, that's what I have been doing. I have been checking it obsessively and no offer of an interview yet.

Yes I believe so, that's what I have been doing. I have been checking it obsessively and no offer of an interview yet.

No, you should look at the interview scheduling page. If you have been offered an interview, this is where you would be able to choose a time.

I checked and no update yet. I don't know if I should contact admissions or just wait. How long did it take them to notify you?

I checked and no update yet. I don't know if I should contact admissions or just wait. How long did it take them to notify you?
Feel free to give them a call, some folks who were waitlisted for an interview were and were not contacted. They are super nice in the office of Admissions so give them a call!

Feel free to give them a call, some folks who were waitlisted for an interview were and were not contacted. They are super nice in the office of Admissions so give them a call!

Do you know where to find the number? Is it the one on the portal?

:( yea same. I am staying very hopeful though, and always thinking positively!

No, you should look at the interview scheduling page. If you have been offered an interview, this is where you would be able to choose a time.

I checked there, and no update.

Ok so I just called and they said my application went through review by the counselor, and now it is in review with the admissions committee. So they now have to look over it and make that decision. The woman on the phone said she does no know when the committee is meeting, but it could be a few weeks.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I checked there, and no update.

Ok so I just called and they said my application went through review by the counselor, and now it is in review with the admissions committee. So they now have to look over it and make that decision. The woman on the phone said she does no know when the committee is meeting, but it could be a few weeks.

I called and also received the same information that it was reviewed by the counselor, and it is awaiting the committee review for the final decision.

Anyone heard if the admissions committee is meeting again soon? Like this week???!! :wacky:

Seems like the first round of people accepted had very high GPA's/Highly qualified. Hopefully the rest of us are in the next round!

Keep in mind that Midwestern continues to interview and give out admissions through March. Don't stress if you aren't in this first batch.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone that has gotten an update to their portal received an email notification of their acceptance yet?

Has anyone that has gotten an update to their portal received an email notification of their acceptance yet?
Yes. My portal was updated to show the accepted student checklist on 10/4 and I got an email on 10/5.

Yes!! I got an email on Wednesday (the day after my portal updated) with basically just a reminder about the deposit due date and student/financial aid.

I've been religiously checking my email.. and portal... I need to stop! I will hear soon!

Yes!! I got an email on Wednesday (the day after my portal updated) with basically just a reminder about the deposit due date and student/financial aid.

Ok then maybe the just actually didn't get to my file last meeting... been so ready to find out, but I guess no news is good news!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys! I just got an interview invite! Maybe they met again yesterday?

accepted :''''''''''')

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!!!!

Waitlisted :/ I guess thats better then rejected!

Congrats everyone! Crazy to think that we may be future classmates! Don't worry if you are waitlisted, it seems like Midwestern moves through their waitlist a lot!!! :claps:

Congrats everyone! Crazy to think that we may be future classmates! Don't worry if you are waitlisted, it seems like Midwestern moves through their waitlist a lot!!! :claps:

From reading last years thread that seemed to be the case, but you don't find out until WAY late, like April. I wish they started pulling off the waitlist sooner, but I have an interview at LMU so my hopes are still high.

Hey guys! I just got an interview invite! Maybe they met again yesterday?

Just wondering when did you submit your application? And did you get the email stating that they said they would start reviewing? And how long did it take you to get an interview invite?

Just wondering when did you submit your application? And did you get the email stating that they said they would start reviewing? And how long did it take you to get an interview invite?

I submitted VMCAS September 15th then the next day received an email to set up the portal and that everything was completed. I haven't heard anything from them since but my portal changed today to set up an interview.

I submitted VMCAS September 15th then the next day received an email to set up the portal and that everything was completed. I haven't heard anything from them since but my portal changed today to set up an interview.

I wonder what order they are going in to get back to people. I would think I should hear back any day now. I submitted mine around the same time you did. Congrats on the interview!

From reading last years thread that seemed to be the case, but you don't find out until WAY late, like April. I wish they started pulling off the waitlist sooner, but I have an interview at LMU so my hopes are still high.
I wish waitlists moved faster too, but most waitlists won't move until April usually because people who are accepted have until April 15th to decide where they want to go.

I wonder what order they are going in to get back to people. I would think I should hear back any day now. I submitted mine around the same time you did. Congrats on the interview!
It seems totally random. Even when they sent out the first round of acceptances, it was totally random with a few people from all three interview groups being accepted. It must just be whichever pile of applications they pick during an admissions meeting or something!

Midwestern's waitlist does move a lot due to many factors (cost likely being #1), so you've still got a good shot of getting accepted. The reason it takes so long to hear about is because VMCAS has an agreement with the vet schools that applicants do not have to accept an offer prior to April 15th; there are applicants who might be accepted to a school like Midwestern and hold onto it for a while because they may have other schools they'd rather go to but haven't heard from yet. This is intended to save money in deposits as well as not place pressure on applicants to immediately accept every offer they receive.

Guys, I know it's hard to wait--I was there last year. But keep in mind that it is still VERY early in the cycle; a lot schools haven't even started sending out interview invitations yet and won't for at least another couple of months. You've got time and it's out of your hands now. Relax. Have fun. I wish I had done more of that. Trust me when I say that when/if you do get to vet school you will regret it if you don't. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
So I got this email this morning from Midwestern: [I am a first time applicant]

The admissions committee for Midwestern University’s College of Veterinary Medicine (MWU-CVM) has put your application on hold pending possible future interview invitation.

Is this the equivalent of being wait listed for an interview?

So I got this email this morning from Midwestern: [I am a first time applicant]

The admissions committee for Midwestern University’s College of Veterinary Medicine (MWU-CVM) has put your application on hold pending possible future interview invitation.

Is this the equivalent of being wait listed for an interview?
That is correct - waitlist for an interview

I have a question for some of you guys that have been accepted... On my accepted student check list it shows that I still need 6 semester hours of mathematics, but I have already taken precalc and calculus, and I am planning on taking biostatistics in the spring. Both of the courses that I have already taken should satisfy the requirement for "college algebra or higher", so I am wondering if I should contact the admissions office to get that cleared up, or if I should just wait to see if it gets resolved on its own? Do any of you guys have any discrepancies on your accepted student checklist?!

I have a question for some of you guys that have been accepted... On my accepted student check list it shows that I still need 6 semester hours of mathematics, but I have already taken precalc and calculus, and I am planning on taking biostatistics in the spring. Both of the courses that I have already taken should satisfy the requirement for "college algebra or higher", so I am wondering if I should contact the admissions office to get that cleared up, or if I should just wait to see if it gets resolved on its own? Do any of you guys have any discrepancies on your accepted student checklist?!

I was waitlisted, but mine says I still have 4 outstanding semester hours of upper level science electives, which I've already completed. I'm going to leave it and see if it changes, if it doesn't in a couple weeks I'll call them and clear it up.

I was waitlisted, but mine says I still have 4 outstanding semester hours of upper level science electives, which I've already completed. I'm going to leave it and see if it changes, if it doesn't in a couple weeks I'll call them and clear it up.

they must just be having a few glitches if it's happening to other people too then! Hopefully it gets resolved on its own! Also, I'm glad to know that I might not have to take biostatistics next semester:laugh:

Does anyone know if the applicants on the wait list for an interview still have a chance to get in? Has anyone else had this happen to them and were eventually given an interview offer? Feeling kind of discouraged at the moment.

Does anyone know if the applicants on the wait list for an interview still have a chance to get in? Has anyone else had this happen to them and were eventually given an interview offer? Feeling kind of discouraged at the moment.
right there with you

Wasn't personally placed on the interview waitlist, but I know people who were and it does happen. Midwestern is a school that burns through their waitlist, and they do pull from and send invitations to those on the interview waitlist as time goes on. That being said, you probably won't hear for a while. Go do something fun and try not to stress too much over it right now. ;)

I know it's hard to be patient, especially with something so very important, but try to distract yourselves if you can with other things in life. I spent most of the time between my interview (in December of last year) feeling stressed out, but they finally did call me in late June. In retrospect I really wish I'd enjoyed life a little more in between. Either way, don't lose hope, even if you're wait-listed for an interview. :)

Hey guys,
I got accepted last week, and was curious to find out the conditions on the acceptance? I am currently completing my last few required pre reqs. They didn't tell me (at least not that I saw) if I need to maintain a certain GPA or get a certain grade in all my courses? I am way too anxious of a person to get senioritis... lol... but I am just curious what kind of pressure I need to put on myself for the rest of the year in terms of meeting their conditions? I don't want to worry about losing my acceptance. Does anyone know? Thanks!!!

I had a similar issue and called my admissions counselor last week. They pulled up my transcript and he took care of it while I was on the phone. I'd just give them a call, they're super helpful :)

I just had my interview this past week.
Midwestern is extremely laid back. Dr. Gatrell was extremely helpful by sitting in the lobby with students while we waited for our interviews. It really helped ease the nerves as this was the first interview for many of us.
I really like the atmosphere of the school and the quality of education that they are providing is a reason why MWU is at the top of my schools that I'd like to go to. The only downside is cost ($59,000) with no chance of gaining residency to lower it.

For those who are granted an interview, or are hoping to gen an interview. WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES. I wore short heels that are totally comfortable and after the hour tour through their *amazing* hospital I was dying.
The day starts at 7:45am (get their early) and ended at 2:30 pm. It included admissions overview, a campus tour, lunch, and the tour of the veterinary facilities and you get a chance to talk to students.
The questions differed between the interviewers by the sounds of the other individuals with me last week. My questions were more application based, so be prepared and know your application and experiences. Others had questions regarding situations "if an owner came in with....".
To be honest, I felt like I blew it because I was prepared for more behavioral questions "Tell me about a challenge and how you handled it" and was thrown questions that kind of drilled into my application and my intentions for vet school. It flustered me, and I'm sure my nerves were really showing and I rambled on.
Of the two interviewers, one of them took more control and made it difficult when I was answering questions as she interrupted me and questioned my answers. But other than that, the interview was incredibly laid back and a way for them to get to know you better. I think I felt so comfortable to the point that I lost my professionalism, but I hope it's not enough to dock me too much.

Good luck to all that applied!

Hey guys,
I got accepted last week, and was curious to find out the conditions on the acceptance? I am currently completing my last few required pre reqs. They didn't tell me (at least not that I saw) if I need to maintain a certain GPA or get a certain grade in all my courses? I am way too anxious of a person to get senioritis... lol... but I am just curious what kind of pressure I need to put on myself for the rest of the year in terms of meeting their conditions? I don't want to worry about losing my acceptance. Does anyone know? Thanks!!!
I was wondering the same thing!! I haven't seen anything regarding that either!

Has anyone who interviewed October 12 been informed of acceptance? They said two weeks and its been two weeks and one day. They said a professor would personally call them upon acceptance. Do I assume I'm not accepted if I didn't get a call?

Hey everyone,

I received an email from Midwestern a few days ago. I was waitlisted for an interview. I honestly was shocked since my application is really strong. I was wondering if you all know how fast the waitlist for interviews goes? When I called, they said there are about 325 people on the waitlist to be interviewed... :/