Midwestern University Post-bac question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, so if your undergrad gpa is greater then 3.0, you automatically get in??

Members don't see this ad.

No, that's just part of what you need for Midwestern's D.O. school. Flushot posted all the requirements for an interview and an automatic acceptance on the 2nd page of this thread.

Does anyone know if there is a lag year between the masters program and AZCOM or do you start med school right after the masters program? I got accepted to the master of arts program this year and want to start med school at AZCOM next year. Thanks!

Does anyone know if there is a lag year between the masters program and AZCOM or do you start med school right after the masters program? I got accepted to the master of arts program this year and want to start med school at AZCOM next year. Thanks!

If you are in the MBS program, you can start AZCOM the following year. You can drop the masters and go for the DO. Two people got in after Christmas for Fall 08 and dropped from the masters program. You can also start it if you are interested to finish the MBS program, which is two years later.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are in the MBS program, you can start AZCOM the following year. You can drop the masters and go for the DO. Two people got in after Christmas for Fall 08 and dropped from the masters program. You can also start it if you are interested to finish the MBS program, which is two years later.

Thanks for your help! i was worried about that. Do they advise you to apply to their D.O. school at the start of the application cycle through AACOMAS or do you have to wait after the 1st quarter of the program?

Also, do you remember how many in your class applied to AZCOM? I just want an idea of how many people didn't get in too. Thanks!

Thanks for your help! i was worried about that. Do they advise you to apply to their D.O. school at the start of the application cycle through AACOMAS or do you have to wait after the 1st quarter of the program?

Also, do you remember how many in your class applied to AZCOM? I just want an idea of how many people didn't get in too. Thanks!

You can start your AACOMAS in June. Typically, the interviews do not start in late September, and you can drop an official transcript of your current grades of MWU at anytime so they can have an idea how well you are doing in a different program of their school.
Everyone applies to what they are interested, be it AZCOM, CPG, PA, OT, Dental, etc. Including me, six other people applied to AZCOM. Two got in the second quarter, another guy who doesn't talk in class and I don't know if he got in. Me and two other people just had our interviews last week, so we are still awaiting reply.

If I am not mistaken, during my interview we talked to first year DO students, and one guy said that there were 10 people from the MBS program in his class. So they do take in a handful from other programs.

I found out today that I was waitlisted for the MBS program at Glendale. I'm trying to be positive and see that a "maybe" is better than a "no."

is anyone thinking of living in san padro or the san lagos apts. And has anyone headed out to glendale yet to check on other apts?

I haven't seriously started looking and DocPearl was going to visit Glendale, but got accepted somewhere else. I will probably call them up soon and get an idea, but I personally don't plan on going over to Glendale this summer yet.

Well I was accepted on Fri to the Glendale Master of Arts BS program. Has anyone started a "rolecall" to see who is going? I'm taking the mcat for the second time in June and following the test I plan on visiting campus and the apartments near by. From what I have seen on their web pages the apartments all look pretty nice and not too expensive. So who is planning on attending? If any one visits campus sooner please send me a pm and let me know what you think of it all.

I found out today that I was waitlisted for the MBS program at Glendale. I'm trying to be positive and see that a "maybe" is better than a "no."

I've been waitlisted too. Sucks cuz I really wanted to go there, but now I'm just getting tired of waiting n am pretty set on going to UMDNJ instead. I've been o MWU's waitlist for like 2 or 3 weeks now.

hey everyone. i actually just sent in my application today for the MA program. i interviewed @ AZCOM on 5/5 and found out last week that i was waitlisted, so i'm transferring my application over. staying on the waitlist though too. i know that a lot of students live in san lagos and it's pretty much right across the street so it is super close to campus. there is tons of housing in the area. as far as grocery access and stuff, i dont know about walking distance as i was in a car and didn't really pay that much attention, but basically anything and everything you can imagine is within a short driving distance from the campus, and therefore from any nearby apartments.

and for anyone wondering about cell service, i keep seeing lists of carriers that work well and Sprint is almost never listed...i have sprint and i had absolutely no problems with service while i was down there for 5 days....i did, however, get a nasty sunburn within 1 hour of being in the sun...WITH sunscreen haha

i'm hoping to get accepted to this program (if i dont get into AZCOM), i feel like my chances are pretty good since i got an interview at AZCOM, but who knows?!?!?!

San Lagos is across the street? Are there any other complexes worth mentioning? I think I'm finally getting my stuff together to settle down on a place. I just want to do a roll call though: who is still interested in a 3/2 setting for those who got into Glendale's MA program?

And thanks Bivvie for the info. I'm sure you'll get in if you're considered. Are you still interested in possibly living with us?

hi all! I was just wondering about the interview for the MA program...do they just randomly call you or do they set up a time with you for the interview via email or something? I sent in my application last week and haven't heard from them yet...which is understandable cuz it's only been a week! I just wanted to know so I dont miss the phone call if it does come..because I'm always working now that school's out!

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer your question, for my case, they just randomly called me and did the interview on the spot. Luckily, I wasn't busy, but I didn't get a chance to prepare. Fortunately, you don't really need to prepare either.

I think others said they set up a time beforehand, but I wouldn't count out the possibility of a random call. Note that they're on Pacific time, so they called me around 6:30pm Central, so I was just about to make some dinner at the time. Just be ready for anything I guess.

San Lagos is across the street? Are there any other complexes worth mentioning? I think I'm finally getting my stuff together to settle down on a place. I just want to do a roll call though: who is still interested in a 3/2 setting for those who got into Glendale's MA program?

And thanks Bivvie for the info. I'm sure you'll get in if you're considered. Are you still interested in possibly living with us?

whats a 3/2 setting? (sorry if thats a really dumb question, it's about my bed time so my brains starting to shut off haha)

if i get into either program (azcom or ma) i'll definitely be wanting to find a roommate or two...i am female if that makes a difference to anyone, though i dont have anything against living with guys...as long as theyre somewhat clean...and are okay with the idea that im NOT the cleanest person in the world haha. i was looking into san lagos when i first looked into places a month or so ago...it's super close and nice quality...and if you do a 2 or 3 bedroom apt its not too pricey, especially if you do a 3 bedroom. (i'm assuming they still have apts available...but who knows) but im trying not to think too much about that kind of stuff until i know for sure that i'll be moving across the country haha. but that kind of sucks cuz i AM moving across the country and would like to have things figured out more than a month ahead of time!!

Yeah, by 3/2 I just meant 3 bed 2 bath. Unfortunately, on their main website, 3/2s aren't available anymore for San Lagos, so we'll have to settle for 2/2s. I hope they're as close as they seem.

I want to see a few more, but I haven't heard many names. Arrowhead = San Lagos and someone said San Pedro earlier.

I'm sure we can work on personal specifics. I wouldn't mind living with anyone that I got to know a bit online. I hoped that somehow we could get all of the MA people in one complex since we'll be seeing each other a lot too. Just for kicks I guess.

Anyhow, I'm planning on calling them tomorrow to see if there are any more options.

hi all! I was just wondering about the interview for the MA program...do they just randomly call you or do they set up a time with you for the interview via email or something? I sent in my application last week and haven't heard from them yet...which is understandable cuz it's only been a week! I just wanted to know so I dont miss the phone call if it does come..because I'm always working now that school's out!

Hi WannabDMD... the process is really fast once they've recieved your complete application. I called three times to confirm that every thing was recieved, and each time they were missing something new.

As flushot posted earlier... here is the phone number to Dr. Bell's assistant 623-572-3620. Her name is Deb and just confirm that your application is complete and is ready for the review committee. She may also inform you of your acceptance!

Good luck

awesome...thanks so much guys! Lets hope my next post on here is to share some good news!

Good luck wannabDMD

By the way, 3/2s are available at San Prado, which is owned by Mark Taylor or the Arrowhead people. It's also closer apparently, so that's a bonus.

They seem to have a priority waitlist going, so I'm debating just sticking with this place unless someone else has a better complex worth mentioning. I can't see another place this close and this cheap (for 3 people, rent being roughly 1,400), not to mention being available so please people, let me know.

I plan to PM Ehhh and dentistin2011 again since I talked to them earlier. Anyone who is also interested should still shout out in case they have other plans.

Good luck wannabDMD

By the way, 3/2s are available at San Prado, which is owned by Mark Taylor or the Arrowhead people. It's also closer apparently, so that's a bonus.

They seem to have a priority waitlist going, so I'm debating just sticking with this place unless someone else has a better complex worth mentioning. I can't see another place this close and this cheap (for 3 people, rent being roughly 1,400), not to mention being available so please people, let me know.

I plan to PM Ehhh and dentistin2011 again since I talked to them earlier. Anyone who is also interested should still shout out in case they have other plans.

Hey. Not sure of some of you are female, but if so, I'd definitely be interested in room buddies. I don't know much about housing in Glendale, other than what I've seen on San Prado and San Lagos website. Is the waiting list just for the 3/2's or the entire complex? If it's the latter, that's a little nuts.

I just got my phone interview last week and I feel really good about my chances. Fingers crossed.

Hey. Not sure of some of you are female, but if so, I'd definitely be interested in room buddies. I don't know much about housing in Glendale, other than what I've seen on San Prado and San Lagos website. Is the waiting list just for the 3/2's or the entire complex? If it's the latter, that's a little nuts.

I just got my phone interview last week and I feel really good about my chances. Fingers crossed.

hey like i said earlier i'll definitely be wanting a roomie and id love to live in one of those complexes. i just got my transfer application thing out 2 days ago though so i don't know when i'll hear anything. not sure if i'll have to interview either since i interviewed for AZCOM already...but who knows.

does anyone know how many people they are accepting into the MA program?? and/or how many people have already been accepted??

First to rose, the priority waitlist is just a term they use. Not every room is full, but they just want to put the students in first I believe. It was kind of confusing to talk to them.

From Apartmentratings.com, I've seen some pretty ranging opinions about both complexes, with more hate being on Prado's side. Prado is also the only place with a 3 bedroom configuration still available, so we'll have to pick.

Dentistin2011 answered me back so I might be rooming with him, but it is still not yet determined. I believe if you guys are certain, go ahead and fill out an application. Sending the deposit only means they hold your spot; you can cancel your spot and they send the deposit back or so they say. I would still fill out an application.

I'm looking into San Lagos despite it being a little older and further away simply because it has less negative opinion for roughly the same amenities and price.

Just let me know what you think and feel free to PM me.

I think I am most likely end up goin to MA program for Biomedical science at Midwestern AZ.
I am on highwaitiling list at Touro COM NY and they ranked me #32

I was wondering how difficult the courses are at midwestern

I also got accepted to Rosalind Frankiln BMS. I drove down there and it was the most depressing town I ever been to, plus I saw so many bashing threads about that program

The admission officer at Midwestern told me 7 from MBS program enrolled in AZCOM last year.

I was also wondering how large the class was.

Anyone from East coast(NY, NJ, MA) who will be attending MA program?

How many students will enroll in MA program?

Regarding the questions about class size...I was told the class will hold 50 and they've already accepted 35 or so, so there is definitely still room.

Flushot, I'm gonna call San Lagos once Memorial Day weekend is over, just to see what their deal is. I may just be renting a studio if I don't find a roomie in time. I've also been browsing Craigslist, but I haven't seen anything that knocks my socks off. :rolleyes:

Well, I am looking for a roommate for the luxury apartments on campus if anyone is interested. Other than that I have requested for MWU to offer me a roommate. I am waiting for two PAs who are graduating a few days to get out so I can move in. Commuting from Surprise to Glendale is too much of a hassle. I am also female if you are wondering.

Lelouch, I was told that the waitlist for on campus housing was quite long, so I abandoned the idea. As for San Lagos, I'm calling a potential guy tonight to see what the deal is, but I still have to fill out the application.

rose, if you're interested, we could share info too. I'm male, if that's an issue; the only ones available are 2/2s. I guess I'll send you a PM in a sec here.

I'm hoping to at least sort this out before May ends, so we can get a lease signed early June.

hey flushot and anyone else planing on calling soon. when you hear about san lagos and san pedros? could you let me know some info on those. From what I see online they look pretty decent. Also, one of my friends lives in Scottsdale which is 20 min away from glendale and she said she would check them out for me.

Well, it appears that dentistin2011 and I are going to be roommates at San Lagos, so anyone who is going for sure, I suggest looking into San Lagos. Maybe we can even request to be neighbors so there isn't a risk of noise or anything.

tbone, I'm going to just settle for it since neither of us are bringing a car and we need to be close to campus. I'm willing to work out the specifics later, but right now, I would suggest just filling out an application. There's no obligation until you send in the deposit, which is $200.

I called the school today and I'm in!! So excited I don't know what to do. The lady said that they were mailing out acceptance letters today. For anyone still waiting, give them a call and find out what's up.

Well, I am looking for a roommate for the luxury apartments on campus if anyone is interested. Other than that I have requested for MWU to offer me a roommate. I am waiting for two PAs who are graduating a few days to get out so I can move in. Commuting from Surprise to Glendale is too much of a hassle. I am also female if you are wondering.

Oh, I so love you right now. PM me immediately so I can harass you!! :D

I called the school today and I'm in!! So excited I don't know what to do. The lady said that they were mailing out acceptance letters today. For anyone still waiting, give them a call and find out what's up.

Oh, I so love you right now. PM me immediately so I can harass you!! :D

congrats! i forget, did you do a phone interview?

dang, i checked my interactnow account (using my student id# and stuff from my AZCOM/CCOM apps) and today it finally listed the MA program but said they were still waiting on my official transcripts. i was thinking they would just go off of what they have from my AACOMAS but i guess not, so i requested my transcripts to be sent to them earlier today...which means they probably won't get them until next week which blows. i was hoping to be getting one of those acceptance letters!

Bivvie, the best number to call is Dr. Bell's secretary. I believe it's on page 2 upthread. THe admissions office kept saying everything was complete, but once I called the other number I found out this was not the case. Once my app was complete, it took a little over a week for an interview and another week for a decision. Good luck.

For those who have actual acceptance letters in hand, does it come w/ financial aid info? I'm kind of worried that it's about 2 months until classes start, and I haven't looked at financials.

Also, I started my AADSAS app for dental school. I figure I can hit "submit" once the quarter is over and I get grades in. I'd rather get that mess sorted before classes hit. What are everyone else's plans?

For those who have actual acceptance letters in hand, does it come w/ financial aid info? I'm kind of worried that it's about 2 months until classes start, and I haven't looked at financials.

You need to start FAFSA right now. Also, you go to your online.midwestern.edu account using your student ID and start filling the forms, especially your on campus one too. It's never late to fill the financial aid forms because all they give is loans.

I just received the acceptance letter and it basically says to call and ask about the things we have to do. Namely they are: check out housing, fill out financial stuff, get immunizations and pay a deposit. I think I'm gonna send my deposit certified mail and figure out the financial stuff online.

You need to start FAFSA right now. Also, you go to your online.midwestern.edu account using your student ID and start filling the forms, especially your on campus one too. It's never late to fill the financial aid forms because all they give is loans.

Hey good to know. Have you (or anyone else) been awarded aid yet? Do you think it's enough to cover your expenses or will we need private loans as well?

I applied in February and got awarded in March. They gave me 25,000 in loans, but it's not enough so I am going to ask for more. Try to find a private lender and stay away from the grad PLUS loan because it's interest rate is fixed at 8.5% and it's too high.

Also, a lot of stuff you mentioned here could be done online and on papers. Try http://online.midwestern.edu and on the drop down menu select MWU Intranet to find a lot of forms you could mail in.

I applied in February and got awarded in March. They gave me 25,000 in loans, but it's not enough so I am going to ask for more. Try to find a private lender and stay away from the grad PLUS loan because it's interest rate is fixed at 8.5% and it's too high.

Also, a lot of stuff you mentioned here could be done online and on papers. Try http://online.midwestern.edu and on the drop down menu select MWU Intranet to find a lot of forms you could mail in.

Yeah, I just saw that. Although, I couldn't find the fin aid stuff I was looking for...just some links for tuition.

Interestingly, it shows that I was accepted to the IL program weeks ago although I recieved nothing in the mail.

Where's everyone else? This thread is getting lonely.

Financial aid forms are found in the link I gave you, except log on with your student ID and passwords. You will find everything there.

Yeah, I just saw that. Although, I couldn't find the fin aid stuff I was looking for...just some links for tuition.

Interestingly, it shows that I was accepted to the IL program weeks ago although I recieved nothing in the mail.

Where's everyone else? This thread is getting lonely.

i agree, this thread is getting very lonely.

did anyone else do their interview this week? i did the phone interview monday night and he told me they would be making decisions today so i was just curious if anyone else was waiting to hear as well.

Financial aid forms are found in the link I gave you, except log on with your student ID and passwords. You will find everything there.
I found it...I think it only displays after your deposit is paid.
And hey, you never called me. +pity+

:)
Hello (Master students)

I got accepted to the MBS at Midwestern,AZ.
I am wondering how many people here are going to study there for MBS program this Fall.
Also, I am still looking for a place to share near campus!
Please let me know if you have a place available
(hopefully not too..exp)!

I am from California :)

hey everyone,
it looks like there are more pre-dents than pre-meds.
I heard that there is a good link between MA and AZCOM.
Is there any intention they accept more pre-dents?

I remember that question about whether the auto-interview and such apply to pre-dents. I don't know if it was answered either.

By the way, I was curious for anyone else applying for their schools this year:
when you put down Midwestern for the school you will be attending in the future, what did put down for classes? I saw the curriculum in the comparison chart for the MBS/MA but I didn't see hours. What should we put?

By the way, this is in reference to AMCAS and TMDSAS applications, in case anyone is curious.

By the way, I was curious for anyone else applying for their schools this year:
when you put down Midwestern for the school you will be attending in the future, what did put down for classes? I saw the curriculum in the comparison chart for the MBS/MA but I didn't see hours. What should we put?

You are referring to credit hours? I can PM you a big list.

Yeah I got the PM. Thanks :)

I think the MA program is slightly different though, which is what I got into. I think we're missing a few of the research classes.

The apps actually don't require a specific credit hour so far, so I think I'll just put down the name of the class and go with that for now. Thanks anyway.

I know you already got your list of credit hours, but for everyone else:
http://www.midwestern.edu/Arizona Catalog/7987.htm

hey everyone,
it looks like there are more pre-dents than pre-meds.
I heard that there is a good link between MA and AZCOM.
Is there any intention they accept more pre-dents?

Do you mean a linkage? I asked this same question. Apparently only the DO students get automatic interviews if they achieve certain stats (forget what they are). For all other schools, there is no "linkage" persay, but MWU faculty tend to "like their own". I took this to mean that if you did well, you'd be favored. But there is no official linkage.

I know you already got your list of credit hours, but for everyone else:
http://www.midwestern.edu/Arizona Catalog/7987.htm

Do you mean a linkage? I asked this same question. Apparently only the DO students get automatic interviews if they achieve certain stats (forget what they are). For all other schools, there is no "linkage" persay, but MWU faculty tend to "like their own". I took this to mean that if you did well, you'd be favored. But there is no official linkage.

Actually, im almost 100% Dr. Bell told us Pharm and Dent will have an official linkage, only the PA's dont.

same here but i am on "alternate" list for Downer's Grove.

does anyone know how many are on the waitlist?