midyear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lactonerx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what days are best to attend at midyear if interested in residency?
The conference dates this year are Dec 2 to 6.
I am supposed to be at APPE through Dec 5.
The schedule for the convention is not posted yet.
What days are most important for a resident aspirant to be there?

Members don't see this ad.

what days are best to attend at midyear if interested in residency?
The conference dates this year are Dec 2 to 6.
I am supposed to be at APPE through Dec 5.
The schedule for the convention is not posted yet.
What days are most important for a resident aspirant to be there?

If you're gonna go then figure out what days the programs that you are interested in will have their showcases.

Members don't see this ad :)
The middle dates are usually the ones that you need to go to for residency showcase. I'm pretty sure your preceptor would excuse you from rotations for Midyear.

My preceptor told me "if you go to midyear you will be guaranteed a grade no higher than C" so I took a C. Schedule your blow off, couldnt care less, wont matter APPE for December like I did.

You should be there for the showcase which is likely on monday and tuesday

My preceptor told me "if you go to midyear you will be guaranteed a grade no higher than C" so I took a C. Schedule your blow off, couldnt care less, wont matter APPE for December like I did.

WTF? That person should not be a preceptor. Hell, most of my friends who had rotations in December got to stay for the entirety of Midyear since their preceptors were also going to Midyear. However, it wasn't all fun for them because they had to follow their preceptors around when they weren't doing poster presentations and residency showcase.

The middle dates are usually the ones that you need to go to for residency showcase. I'm pretty sure your preceptor would excuse you from rotations for Midyear.

They should let you go to Midyear but at the same time, they have the right to make you compensate lost days.

They should let you go to Midyear but at the same time, they have the right to make you compensate lost days.

That is exactly why my preceptor had that policy of take a C or skip Midyear. Since you can't work without a preceptor, their days off were also my days off.

That is exactly why my preceptor had that policy of take a C or skip Midyear. Since you can't work without a preceptor, their days off were also my days off.

I imagine that if that happens, you can complain to the school and they will then resolve the issue.

What kind of crap rotation/preceptor wouldn't allow a student to attend Midyear without harming their grade? And what kind of school wouldn't intervene in that situation? Totally unacceptable.

Actually, my school told me that I could only miss 3 days total for a professional conference if I had rotations and that I'd still have to make it up. Luckily my preceptor was going also so I missed like 5 days and still didn't have to make it up.

It really depends on the preceptor...those who have done a residency are much more understanding and willing to work with you on missed days. Then there are those who'll give you a grade no better than a C. This holds true for resirency interviews also. The 7 interviews I had spanned the entire U.S. over th course of 3 weeks and two rotations. Both of my preceptors were cool with me taking as much time as I needed...I've heard of preceptors less willing to compromise.
In any event, just make sure to give your prceptor ample amount of time (> 3 weeks if possible) before you need to miss. And it's always best to ask if there is any additional work you can do to make up for lost days.
Good luck this upcoming year, it's getting crazy competitive out there!

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of crap rotation/preceptor wouldn't allow a student to attend Midyear without harming their grade? And what kind of school wouldn't intervene in that situation? Totally unacceptable.

It was a retail rotation. I was on their time, not the other way around according to them. I spoke to the APPE coordinator about it and their response was "just take the C, what is the big deal? You don't have a right to go to conventions during APPE".

But I got the job I wanted anyway so there's nothing for me to be angry about.

A "C" in december maybe moot. Most applications are due at end of December or early January, so it might not even show up on the transcript.

A "C" in december maybe moot. Most applications are due at end of December or early January, so it might not even show up on the transcript.

At my school, this wouldn't be an issue (well plus we don't have rotations in Dec). Our school just went to pass/fail rotations and will be pursuing a pass/fail didactic curriculum as well :rolleyes: At least I have a GPA for when I apply for residencies but I worry about the kids coming after me. Overall pretty stoked about the lack of rotation gpa as it definitely changes the dynamic of the next year for me.

I was lucky that my preceptor was so understanding during Midyear 2011. She was residency trained and gave me a ton of advice. If I had a situation like the above poster, I probably would've lost my temper and told him/her to go F themselves. That is absolutely ridiculous.

At my school, this wouldn't be an issue (well plus we don't have rotations in Dec). Our school just went to pass/fail rotations and will be pursuing a pass/fail didactic curriculum as well :rolleyes: At least I have a GPA for when I apply for residencies but I worry about the kids coming after me. Overall pretty stoked about the lack of rotation gpa as it definitely changes the dynamic of the next year for me.

I got better grades during rotation than during classes.

If what I've seen lately is any indication, the P/F thing isn't going to be a walk in the park.

I got better grades during rotation than during classes.

If what I've seen lately is any indication, the P/F thing isn't going to be a walk in the park.

Eh, I'm a second generation workaholic (soon to be 2nd gen Rph :D:D ). I'm most comfortable when working. I don't doubt that it won't be a walk in the park but I do believe I'll be less stressed than when I was focused on my GPA. I kinda see why admin wants a pass/fail curriculum as when I was only focus on my gpa, I was not worried about large concepts as much as memorizing as close to 100% of the material. But hell, their tests were setup for quantity over quality. I think rotations will be wayyyyyy less stressful without GPA as you can focus on learning rather than trying to be perfect all the time (although, I'm not saying I'd make a recommendation I'm not sure about). If I had not been shooting for residency, I think the didactic portion would have been much less stressful as GPA wouldn't mean as much.

Never accept a C if you want to be a resident. Residencies weigh rotations grades very heavily. It would be better to skip mid-years.
What if you miss a residency this year and apply next year?
That C will mean 90% rejection letters unless you have inside connections.

Eh, I'm a second generation workaholic (soon to be 2nd gen Rph :D:D ). I'm most comfortable when working. I don't doubt that it won't be a walk in the park but I do believe I'll be less stressed than when I was focused on my GPA. I kinda see why admin wants a pass/fail curriculum as when I was only focus on my gpa, I was not worried about large concepts as much as memorizing as close to 100% of the material. But hell, their tests were setup for quantity over quality. I think rotations will be wayyyyyy less stressful without GPA as you can focus on learning rather than trying to be perfect all the time (although, I'm not saying I'd make a recommendation I'm not sure about). If I had not been shooting for residency, I think the didactic portion would have been much less stressful as GPA wouldn't mean as much.

I think P/F for rotations will be easier. But the most recent P/F part of the didactic curriculum didn't seem to go well for many... shouldn't say too much on a public forum though. :p

what kind of ****** preceptor is this?