Military draft registration for residency (US-IMG)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bgm9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a US-IMG, hoping to match this year into residency. Some of the programs on my rank list have rotations at VA hospitals. Someone told me that to rotate at a VA, I should be registered for the US military draft.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter? Is is true? What does it actually mean to register? Can it still be done at my age if necessary?

I am about 30 years old, male, and I have lived almost all my life in a different country.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm a US-IMG, hoping to match this year into residency. Some of the programs on my rank list have rotations at VA hospitals. Someone told me that to rotate at a VA, I should be registered for the US military draft.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter? Is is true? What does it actually mean to register? Can it still be done at my age if necessary?

I am about 30 years old, male, and I have lived almost all my life in a different country.

Thank you!
Here is where you can find all the answers: https://www.sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration

if you are a citizen, you should have registered for selective service when you turned 18.

Thank you!

I read this website, but still don't understand something: It looks like I'm exempt from registering as I'm over 26 years old. Will that prevent me from rotating in VAs? Is every resident doing VA rotations required to be registered?
I'm not an expert, but based on my reading: You were required to register when you you turned 18, since you are a male US citizen, regardless of where in the world you were living. Now that you are over 26, you are no longer able to register. How that will affect your employment prospects in the future, I have no clue.

Looks like you'll have some phone calls to HR / GME offices in your near future.

I'm not an expert, but based on my reading: You were required to register when you you turned 18, since you are a male US citizen, regardless of where in the world you were living. Now that you are over 26, you are no longer able to register. How that will affect your employment prospects in the future, I have no clue.

Looks like you'll have some phone calls to HR / GME offices in your near future.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Anyone knows someone that was in a similar situation? I had just heard about this issue for the first time (I wasn't living here until recently), and still trying to understand the implications.

IN general, if you did not register for SS when you were required to, you cannot work at a VA and hence can't be a resident at a program affiliated with a VA.

Thank you!

I read this website, but still don't understand something: It looks like I'm exempt from registering as I'm over 26 years old. Will that prevent me from rotating in VAs? Is every resident doing VA rotations required to be registered?

You are not exempt. You have some extra hoops to jump through quickly. You have to be registered with SS to work at the VA.

What Can You Do if You Did Not Register and are Now 26 or Older?
https://www.sss.gov/Home/Men-26-and-OLDER