Military HPSP question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buomyta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!!

1. What can I do to make myself more competitive for a scholarship?

2. Is there a certain MCAT or GPA that I specifically have to meet?

3. Do prior military have a better chance?

4. If you have or know someone with a scholarship can you please relate your experience?

5. Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

1) If you are a competitive enough applicant to get into med school, there is probably a good chance you can get scholarship. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Plus, you can apply to multiple branches to increase your chances.
2) I haven't heard about any minimums, but see answer 1. However, there are physical height and weight requirements.
3) Probably.
4) Read some old posts, this gets discussed all the time on this board.

I am finishing up my first year of med school while on Navy HPSP. I was accepted for both AF and Navy; Navy had more appealing locations and military-releated opportunities. Also, every prior Navy doc I spoke with regarding my interest in Navy med had nothing but very positive things to say of their experiences (~8 or 9 different individuals in various specialties).
As far as competitiveness goes, I was fairly 'typical' as far as GPA/MCAT goes for the national average of accepted students. A big deal to acceptance into the HPSP is physical disqualifiers. If you can pass an enterance physical while being competitive enough to gain acceptance into med school, it seems that you stand a good shot. Also criminal records aren't helpful.
My experince with the Navy (OIS) was positive although more of a challenge than what might be represented by recruiters. The zero balance on my tution account at the end of a year is a great thing (living off campus tuition&expenses at my school: $52K/yr). There are 11 other Navy HPSP students in my class alone and all seem to be good, solid people that I look forward to working with in the future. I met some really great folks at OIS that I am really hoping to run into following school. I will get to practice medicine while serving my country and having incurred comparatively little dept. I don't think I could have found a better opportunity for me personally. I do think, however, you must want to be a member of the military when considering the HPSP. The financial aspects of the program seems not to be sufficient in itself to passify you if you are or think you might be adverse to life in the military and all that goes with it. Check out various posts. You will find many opinions and view points concerning this very topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Get your application complete ASAP. The scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis, starting in September, and then monthly thereafter. The scholarship is not competitive at all early in the year. You only have to meet the criterea and you get it. As the year goes on and less scholarships are available, selection becomes more competitive.

2) I don't know any specific numbers.

3) Maybe towards the end of the year when less scholarships are available. Once again, the earlier your packet is complete, the better chance you have. It probably doesn't matter early, when the number of available scholarships far excedes the number of applicants.

4) I had prior service as an army medical officer, so I didn't go to OBC last summer. We have no military requirements during the school year, other than not flunking. An HPSP scholarship is NOTHING like an ROTC scholarship! Besides having a little more spending money than the average medical student, the day-to-day experience of a typical HPSP student during the academic year is no different from any other student. The real difference comes after graduation. Of course, I can't comment much on that topic...

In reference to the above, I *believe* the Air Force pools all applicants together and then decides in January or February. Thus, the AF seems to be more competitive than usual.

On a more personal note, if I'm taking the August MCAT, would it make sense to contact the Navy and AF recruiters in August/September and start the process? How long is it exactly and what can I do without an MCAT score? I would like to have everything that can be done, well, done before the October release of scores.

on a totally unrelated note, the only person who seems to know jack about HPSP is the navy recruiter i've talked to. The army and AF have been absolutely useless.

Cerberus said:
on a totally unrelated note, the only person who seems to know jack about HPSP is the navy recruiter i've talked to. The army and AF have been absolutely useless.

Cerb,

On the Army side, were you talking to a regular recruiter or a healthcare recruiter? If it wasn't a healthcare recruiter they won't know anything. Call a local med school FA dept and they can put you in touch with one in your area.

Cerberus,

There might be a valid issue if you did talk to health care recruiters from the Army and AF. I did the whole frickin' show 2 years ago with all three services. Only the Navy has officers as their health care recruiters. Army and AF utilize NCO's for initial recruiting contacts and have an officer (O-3) behind the scenes; the NCO's are your initial points of contact. My experience was much, much more gratifiying with the Naval Officer versus the other two. The SFC from the Army was actually belligerent in my dealings with him and he turned me off to the Army immediately. The AF guy must had so many greasy recruiting catch phrases that he would be right at home on the lot of Jimmy's Ghetto Used Car Sales. By no means am I slamming NCO's from any branch, its just that these were the same type of guys that I dealt with when I enlisted. I was impressed with the Navy's professionalism throughout the entire process.

BTW, I'm impressed with your finer taste in beverage displays.

HeavyD said:
...he would be right at home on the lot of Jimmy's Ghetto Used Car Sales. By no means am I slamming NCO's from any branch...

Actually that sounds like a slam on ol' Jimmy!

Spang

In regards to the above, the Navy health recruiter with whom I have been speaking is a Chief (NCO).

Nobody has yet to answer my question. When should I make more proactive contact?

I contacted both army and AF via their webpages asking for some information on HPSP. Specifically, I asked about options in each branch in regards to operational meds and number of residency options. Both contacted me but neither really answered my questions or really seemed to know wtf they were talking about. The navy recruiter on the other hand sent me tons of info and even arranged for me to meet with a operational med's doctor in the navy. I guess I will pursue the army a little further (AF doesnt really interest me much) but navy is way ahead currently (I actually want to do a GMO/DMO tour).

HeavyD said:
BTW, I'm impressed with your finer taste in beverage displays.

Well, I am a connoisseur of the finest beverages :laugh:

Cerberus said:
I contacted both army and AF via their webpages asking for some information on HPSP. Specifically, I asked about options in each branch in regards to operational meds and number of residency options. Both contacted me but neither really answered my questions or really seemed to know wtf they were talking about. The navy recruiter on the other hand sent me tons of info and even arranged for me to meet with a operational med's doctor in the navy. I guess I will pursue the army a little further (AF doesnt really interest me much) but navy is way ahead currently (I actually want to do a GMO/DMO tour).

Well, I am a connoisseur of the finest beverages :laugh:

Call up 877 MED ARMY and bi7ch at them. I know that they had a significant increase in application load last year (at least on my base - Ft. Hamilton) - maybe that has something to do with the delays. The website people forward the info to recruiters, who in turn are supposed to contact you