Military Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgrey52

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do military residencies count as payback to HPSP? If so, is it difficult to find a civilian job after you leave the military?

Members don't see this ad.

Military residencies do not count as payback for HPSP. In fact you gain obligation for each year of residency PGY2 and above. This obligation can be paid concurrently with the HPSP obligation. Every physician I have seen leave the military has left with a civilian job already lined up.

Reactions: 1 user
Do military residencies count as payback to HPSP?

No.

You got some more reading and researching to do.

If so, is it difficult to find a civilian job after you leave the military?

You are going to be a licensed physician I assume. If you have a hard time finding a job somewhere in the 50 states and territories... :shrug:

For what it is worth young hopeful...focus on your studies and getting good grades but don't forget to have some fun too. You only get to go to college once, don't waste it.

Most pre-meds don't make it to the application phase, worry about military medicine after you've passed the dozen trials for admission. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No.

You got some more reading and researching to do.

You are going to be a licensed physician I assume. If you have a hard time finding a job somewhere in the 50 states and territories... :shrug:

For what it is worth young hopeful...focus on your studies and getting good grades but don't forget to have some fun too. You only get to go to college once, don't waste it.

Most pre-meds don't make it to the application phase, worry about military medicine after you've passed the dozen trials for admission. Good luck!
Um. No?!

Active duty residency = payback during residency.

Active duty residency = payback during residency.

This is incorrect. Basic examples:

7 year USUHS obligation
- 1 year internship - still owe 7 years
- 3 year active duty residency - owe 7 years

4 year HPSP obligation
- 1 year internship - still owe 4 years
- 5 year active duty residency - owe 5 years

4 year HPSP obligation
- 2 year active duty residency - owe 4 years

7 year USUHS obligation
- 1 year internship - still owe 7 years
- 3 year GMO tour - owe 4 years
- 3 year active duty residency - owe 4 years

4 year USUHS obligation
- 3 year GMO tour - owe 1 year
- 3 year active duty residency - owe 3 years

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,
I am currently in the ROTC and i received a line scholarship and i am ready to sign my contract, something keeps going off in my head since last week. why? simply because i realized that an Active duty contract in the ROTC is not a smart move specially if you are planning getting in Med-school. i worked hard for this. top OML in my school and #2 in the whole Battalion, but i just realized i was not smart enough in planning my undergrad. Also i am currently in the National guard and i ETS a month after i graduate reason why i asked myself if it's even worthy doing it after reading all these posts here. I love my country, the Army and i also the medical field (actual LPN). My question is to know if i can still go to med school after receiving a GRFD? if yes, how is it going to work for someone who owe 6 years? or do i cancel the contract wait until i ETS and then apply?
please i need answers!!