Minimum Board Scores at Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CS_22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was talking with my ASA coordinator -- she helps us out with CV/personal statements/etc -- and she said she thought there were ER residencies that set minimum board scores for applications. She said there were some that were as high as 240 (no 240 here...). I was just wondering if anyone had heard similar things, and if so, where? I'm trying to cut out some places to apply.

CS

Members don't see this ad.

CS_22 said:
Hey all,

I was talking with my ASA coordinator -- she helps us out with CV/personal statements/etc -- and she said she thought there were ER residencies that set minimum board scores for applications. She said there were some that were as high as 240 (no 240 here...). I was just wondering if anyone had heard similar things, and if so, where? I'm trying to cut out some places to apply.

CS

im sure there are some programs that set minimum board scores (although 240 seems a bit high for any program), but its all speculation. no one knows which programs actually use step I as a screening tool. just apply to programs in cities that you want to live in. worry about the other stuff later on.

Cool, appreciate the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
The screening score that gets tossed around here most often is 220, not 240. good luck

apply where you want to end up...the extra $7 dollarsxplaces you dream to be will be worth it if you don't end up wondering "what if"... though there are some places that have various numbers, letters and EM grades matter more and it's difficult to predict what will get you an interview aside from being known to the program...lots of people who are similar on paper get a very different set of interview offers

Best of luck...hope you'll be joining us soon!

Thanks for everyone who responded. It wasn't a matter of being too concerned about my scores, I just have quite a few places that I wouldn't mind ending up. So I figured if there was a way to cut it down I'd try.

I guess what I'm asking is, I know that EM is less concerned about numbers than any other specialty, but are there any places out there that you'd say "hey if you don't have a 4.0/240, you should probably stay away? You often hear rumors of places, so I wondered if anyone knew if they existed.

With no program at my home school, and thus no guidance as to where to apply, I don't want to apply to places where they'll look at me like I'm in over my head.

Thanks again.

CS_22 said:
Thanks for everyone who responded. It wasn't a matter of being too concerned about my scores, I just have quite a few places that I wouldn't mind ending up. So I figured if there was a way to cut it down I'd try.

I guess what I'm asking is, I know that EM is less concerned about numbers than any other specialty, but are there any places out there that you'd say "hey if you don't have a 4.0/240, you should probably stay away? You often hear rumors of places, so I wondered if anyone knew if they existed.

With no program at my home school, and thus no guidance as to where to apply, I don't want to apply to places where they'll look at me like I'm in over my head.

Thanks again.

I don't know about what other people have mentioned on this board, but if you take a look at the residents' profiles on Christ's website, (in chicago) it looks like you have to win the nobel prize to get in...which could be a good/bad thing depending on what you're looking for.

LotaPower said:
I don't know about what other people have mentioned on this board, but if you take a look at the residents' profiles on Christ's website, (in chicago) it looks like you have to win the nobel prize to get in...which could be a good/bad thing depending on what you're looking for.

There's a thread about this, including a post from someone from Christ regarding the site content.

I appreciate the feedback. Any other places you might need a nobel prize to make it? :)

I don't know about specific cut-offs for offering interviews etc but I was told by one program director where I did an away rotation that they would like all of their residents to have a 235 or above on either step 1 or 2.