Minimum Hour Count for Significant Activity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpgrind

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to determine the baseline for how many hours is necessary for an activity to significantly add value to my application. By significantly adding value, I mean for it to be my 2nd/3rd most significant clinical activity.

I've recently started volunteering as an EMT (3 months ago), and I have 80 hours of volunteering so far. What's the minimum count of hours I should have volunteering as an EMT for it to significantly add to my app?

I want to communicate that I'm not doing EMT simply for the hours - I want to get a taste of being a healthcare provider rather than as just a volunteer, but obviously, hours (along with length of time) are the measure that's used to indicate "commitment."

I plan on applying next cycle so I will have 9 months volunteering as an EMT by May. I understand that at least a year is desired to show commitment, but I have ~6 mos. until I apply, so I want to know how many hours at a minimum I need to have EMT as a moderately significant activity.

Thank you!

Note: I've read other threads about minimum hour count, but these refer to the minimum hour count to be *included* on AMCAS - I'm asking about minimum hour count to significantly add value to my application (to the degree of being my 2nd or 3rd most significant clinical activity).

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 100 for 2 out of 3 of mine and am very happy with my cycle so far! Quality > quantity.
Agree, my son had between 100-150 hrs combined between 3 activities. 2 are high quality. His cycle is also going good.

Reactions: 1 users