Minoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anzalisa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd yr undergrad and I was thinking about minoring in economics along with majoring in biochemistry. My question is how do pharmacy school's look towards people who decide to declare a minor? Would it give an upper edge, provided I do well, or is it just more a matter of preference and time? Anyone else here minor in anything?

Thanks for any comments and/or advice!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 2nd yr undergrad and I was thinking about minoring in economics along with majoring in biochemistry. My question is how do pharmacy school's look towards people who decide to declare a minor? Would it give an upper edge, provided I do well, or is it just more a matter of preference and time? Anyone else here minor in anything?

Personally I don't think minors make much of a difference. I don't have any facts to back that up. If I were you, I'd focus on your biochem, get stellar grades, and be sure to take a variety of classes outside your major. Take a look at the websites of schools you might apply to, and be sure to take any prerequisites for those programs. Common ones are econ, psych, stats, etc etc.

Doesn't matter. The important things are the prerequisites and if you're taking the PCAT... ace it. Psychology/Chemistry--preprofessinal minor. Didn't make any advantages. You just need to show you can be good at anything!!!!From science to Litterature. C's won't kill you though. But a GPA above 3.00 and a consistency in the grades through your undergrad are good things

Members don't see this ad :)
It won't hurt you - especially if you can converse credibly about healthcare economics. If you like economics, there's a whole sub-field of pharmacy that deals with pharmaceutical outcomes research. It combines clinical expertise with the economic principles that drive markets and patient behavior. It's a PhD or fellowship after the PharmD. You may want to check it out.

Thanks for the advice it's really helpful!!