misdemeanor and volunteering??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OliverBrooklyn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was convicted of a Class B misdemeanor.(criminal trespassing) Will I still be able to volunteer at hospitals or am I too much of a risk to patients??? Any advice would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

a combination of ex girlfriend's parents and lying ex girlfriend

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by OliverBrooklyn
a combination of ex girlfriend's parents and lying ex girlfriend

Yikes....get Jerry Springer on the phone! I wish I could offer you advice but I have no idea. Sounds pretty harmless though.

restraining order...hahahah....sorry.

I was convicted of a Class B misdemeanor.(criminal trespassing) Will I still be able to volunteer at hospitals or am I too much of a risk to patients??? Any advice would be helpful.

I'm not sure in volunteering but I know from being a medical assistant and applying to hospital that some do ask about criminal records and some do not. I tell anyone with a record that honesty is the best policy. Dont try to hide anything. The worse they can say is no. Go in and apply and be honest. If you can admit that you have a criminal record on SDN in front of thousands of people, then you can admit it to 1 or 2 people on a application. Sometimes this comes as a shock that we with records are honest in the first place. Then again, sometimes it hurts. I totaly know where your coming from because I have a criminal record too. If the offense happend years ago, that is in your favor. Sometimes what hiring managers want to see is that you have been taking steps to better yourself. Only time and references can provide this.

Nevertheless, I do applaud you for taking the first step in dealing with your situation. You will find that some on SDN and in the real world don't take to kindly to those with criminal offenses. Just don't let it hold you back from reaching your dreams. We all have made bad decisions in life, some just never get caught. What's important is what you have learned from your experience and what you have to offer others. The more you have to offer, the more you will be able to put this experience behind you.

If you can't volunteer at a hospital, try a doctors office or some other health related field. The opportunities are out there so don't limit yourself. I'm sure that I would have a hard time landing a volunteer position in a hospital, but I'm a registered medical assistant, I've worked in doctors office and women clinics. I've given shots to babys and adults and worked as a surgical assistant. I've worked in phelbotomy and did physical therapy. If I can't land a job in a hospital, I can sure work at a doctors office or some other health related field which looks good to Adcoms. I did this for 2yrs before I decided to go back to school to become a doctor. Currently, I'm a Health Peer educator at my school and they know about my past. Though I don't have patient contact anymore, I do get to educate others on health issues. I love this job and sadly it dosen't pay well or I would make a career out of it instead of being a physician. Nevertheless, the experience I'm gaining from this position along with my MA skills helps me to show employers that I do have something to offer despite my criminal record. See my point?

on a serious note: The volunteer recruiters that have run my criminal background checks have always said that they look for specific types of crimes relevant to the volunteer position.

does the misdemeanor come off before you will apply? i hope so.

Four highschool cross country runners were cited for tresspassing a federal restricted beach during their training run. The judge ordered them to do community service. Also, a man convicted of another misdemeanor did hours of community services at local health deparment. I don't see how a misdemeanor conviction would prevent you from volunteer activity in any health care facility.

You might want to take advantage of the situation by asking your judge or probate officer to help set you up with a hospital, health care clinic, local health department or whatever health care related facility that is available.

Do you even have to report misdemeanors? I thought usually they only care about felonies.

You must be right. I have not seen any question about misdemeanor. Only rare exception, I guess.