Misdemeanor dismissed, still on record - Should I still apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankman321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So good news, after doing numerous shadowing of various professions, I feel dentistry is something I would like to follow. I have completed most of the pre-requisites at a community college and I am finishing up my bachelor's degree this winter with so far a 3.8 cumulative GPA and 3.7 science GPA.

the bad news is that I was arrested two years ago for shoplifting/petty theft and talking to a lawyer I was able to get the case dismissed, which is good, except for the fact on the application for dental schools, they will ask if you ever got arrested. Even if they dont ask, the background check will certainly pull up my record (my only criminal record).

So the question is, is it worth applying, I don't want to spend tons of money and then find out I cant even qualify for an interview let alone admission.

Members don't see this ad.

Order your own background check and see if it shows up.

Members don't see this ad :)
AADSAS asks, Are you currently under charge or have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, other than minor traffic violations? -You would answer 'No' here.

Now if they ask 'have you EVER been charged or arrested before' on a secondary then you would have to disclose what happened. Seems most schools don't ask this question and are mostly concerned about 'CONVICTIONS', huuuuge difference between being charged and convicted. Of all the schools I applied to none of the secondaries asked this question, they only asked for convictions.

Dismissed charges do show up on the certiphi background check, unless you got the case sealed or expunged. I had a misdemeanor dismissed charge on my certiphi background check and still got into multiple schools. Unfortunately, I was too lazy to get it expunged as I forgot all about it (it's a rather lengthy process). I called them to see if there was an issue with my 'dismissed misdemeanor charge' as I strictly followed the directions on the questions asked and was concerned some eyebrows would be raised. They said 'Nope your background check is clear, we're looking for convictions that have not been disclosed on the main application or supplemental'.

Innocent until proven guilty my friend. So take a sigh of relief and get ready to apply to dental schools this upcoming cycle. Also try to get that dismissed charged sealed or expunged if you can, even if you don't, it shouldn't cause an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the replies everybody, I want to be honest on my application but I also dont want to find out that I can't qualify after spending all this time/money. Has anyone ever had a question on their interview asked about being misdemeanor/arrested? If so, how did you handle it and how did you convince the adcom that you are a great fit to the school?

I actually did my own background check but I think it is one of these scams that charge your 12.95 only to see that the information presented is home address, age, and relatives. Should I do a background check from certphi for better results?

Yea certiphi will give you the results that the dental schools may see. If its not on there, they will never see it and thus you should never report it. The money you will spend now is totally worth it. Should be around 35$.GL!

Just apply. Even if it wasn't dismissed, it's still okay. Just don't get 2 things on your record.

AADSAS asks, Are you currently under charge or have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, other than minor traffic violations? -You would answer 'No' here.

Now if they ask 'have you EVER been charged or arrested before' on a secondary then you would have to disclose what happened. Seems most schools don't ask this question and are mostly concerned about 'CONVICTIONS', huuuuge difference between being charged and convicted. Of all the schools I applied to none of the secondaries asked this question, they only asked for convictions.

Dismissed charges do show up on the certiphi background check, unless you got the case sealed or expunged. I had a misdemeanor dismissed charge on my certiphi background check and still got into multiple schools. Unfortunately, I was too lazy to get it expunged as I forgot all about it (it's a rather lengthy process). I called them to see if there was an issue with my 'dismissed misdemeanor charge' as I strictly followed the directions on the questions asked and was concerned some eyebrows would be raised. They said 'Nope your background check is clear, we're looking for convictions that have not been disclosed on the main application or supplemental'.

Innocent until proven guilty my friend. So take a sigh of relief and get ready to apply to dental schools this upcoming cycle. Also try to get that dismissed charged sealed or expunged if you can, even if you don't, it shouldn't cause an issue.

This is great advice and accurate information. :thumbup:

Also, I know for a fact that Certiphi does not show records which have been expunged, feel free to contact them yourself through their website if you wish to.

I put all my dismissed charges on AADSAS because I thought it was better to be honest and up front, I was still accepted. It will still show up on the background check (unless you can get it expunged, contact a lawyer, if it's your only one it may be possible) so I would state it on your ap. Just think about what it would look like, when your charged with something does it really matter if it was dismissed or not? You were still in that situation and it may look like you are trying to hide it if you don't put it on AADSAS. Then you will know schools won't question you when they get the background check back and that shows up.

How do you order the background check from Certiphi? Someone told me that you cannto do it unless you already have applied for dental/medical schools.

there are other background check services.....