Misdemeanor Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Motyal54

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my sophomore year of college, I received a class B misdemeanor for theft of service for using a fake parking pass to park on campus (was my friends, didnt know it was fake). After going through court, the judge reduced my charge to a class C misdemeanor. I was able to get my sealed NOT expunged. On any typical background check nothing will show up unless it is on the federal level. Since my record is sealed I am technically not required to say yes on any applications. Does this apply to medical school applications? Specifically on AACOMAS? I dont want to check yes and be an immediate red flag, what do y'all think?

Members don't see this ad.

If you say no you are lying. Never lie because it can be found eventually. Mark yes and explain it and own it.

I was background checked on all levels (federal, state, county, etc) as part of my acceptance. You're going to have mark yes or there's a very likely chance you won't ever be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
So my sophomore year of college, I received a class B misdemeanor for theft of service for using a fake parking pass to park on campus (was my friends, didnt know it was fake). After going through court, the judge reduced my charge to a class C misdemeanor. I was able to get my sealed NOT expunged. On any typical background check nothing will show up unless it is on the federal level. Since my record is sealed I am technically not required to say yes on any applications. Does this apply to medical school applications? Specifically on AACOMAS? I dont want to check yes and be an immediate red flag, what do y'all think?
You're required to report this. If this were to be found out after you matriculate, you could be dismissed.

Do you really want this hanging over your head?

And spare us the "how would they ever find out???"

This is a minor transgression. Just own it.

Reactions: 1 users
You're required to report this. If this were to be found out after you matriculate, you could be dismissed.

Do you think its a big red flag considering it was for theft of service? Or not as bad considering it was 4 years ago.

Do you think its a big red flag considering it was for theft of service? Or not as bad considering it was 4 years ago.
Who was the fake parking pass!

It's not like you were knowingly downloading DVDs despite the warnings or or pirating textbooks.

Just don't screw up anymore

Reactions: 1 user
Its not a big deal. One way to explain the situation would be to say you received a class B misdemeanor because a friend gave you a parking pass to use and it was later found out to be fake. A class B misdemeanor for theft of services. Should not be a problem. Lying on your app if found out would be much a much bigger problem.

I was just accepted with an expunged drug related felony, which I owned up to in my applications. Don't try to be sneaky lol. Your misdemeanor is not a big deal if you can gracefully explain it, take accountability and not be weird about it. I know it seems nerve-wracking especially comparing yourself to SDN 4.0/528 bots but lots of people have transgressions here and there.

I'm just applying right now and I can say that a misdemeanor on my record from 5 years ago (don't even know what class it is, I paid a fine and that was it) screened me out pre-secondary from 1 DO school so far. Otherwise, I haven't been rejected based on that alone anywhere else. As others said, I would definitely mention it as the risk of getting caught lying is exponentially worse than a minor crime.

Reactions: 1 users
Medical Schools are not licensing institutions, so they must adhere to the law the same way a conventional employer would. If your state allows you to legally say that you do not have a criminal record, I would not report it

I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice

• Dislike

This is a lie. Reporting a sealed record is state dependent. If his state allows him to say no, he's not required. He would not be dismissed because he could bring legal action against the school. You're just an admissions faculty member, so you have a bias to tell people to disclose as if you're talking to your priest because it is to your benefit

• Dislike
There has to be more to the story for a school to prosecute unless your school gives no cares about its students. The application will ask “if you’ve ever been blah blah” he should be honest and say yes. Maybe you can get away with it, but I wouldn’t recommend it. GL