Mixed Race as Diversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deforestasian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm of mixed race descent, my mother is an immigrant from Taiwan and my father is a white American. I was wondering if this would be a poor topic to pick for the diversity question for secondaries.

I definitely believe that being of mixed race descent makes me more aware of race, representation, and inclusion in general, as my experiences as mixed race often lead me to pay attention to these things and have caused me to seek out experiences with different groups of people, but I don't know if it would help my case at all as an applicant. I just wonder if I will be flagged as "trying too hard to sound diverse" as both of these races are ORM and are not necessarily the same as other races in terms of privilege. I also wonder if this is simply not interesting, and if I should talk about something else other than race.

I would really like to discuss it as a starting point for my own awareness about diversity and then shift the discussion into how I have sought experiences with groups not my own. I just am generally concerned about how others might see it. I personally am really passionate and proud to be mixed race, and I feel it gives me a somewhat unique perspective on life, I just don't want to rub anyone the wrong way.

I welcome all your input, and thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely. I'm very similar to you and I wrote an essay similar and it was a critical part of one of my interviews, and it led to a very interesting discussion with my interviewer, who also happened to come from a similar background.

Reactions: 1 user
So I'm of mixed race descent, my mother is an immigrant from Taiwan and my father is a white American. I was wondering if this would be a poor topic to pick for the diversity question for secondaries.

I definitely believe that being of mixed race descent makes me more aware of race, representation, and inclusion in general, as my experiences as mixed race often lead me to pay attention to these things and have caused me to seek out experiences with different groups of people, but I don't know if it would help my case at all as an applicant. I just wonder if I will be flagged as "trying too hard to sound diverse" as both of these races are ORM and are not necessarily the same as other races in terms of privilege. I also wonder if this is simply not interesting, and if I should talk about something else other than race.

I would really like to discuss it as a starting point for my own awareness about diversity and then shift the discussion into how I have sought experiences with groups not my own. I just am generally concerned about how others might see it. I personally am really passionate and proud to be mixed race, and I feel it gives me a somewhat unique perspective on life, I just don't want to rub anyone the wrong way.

I welcome all your input, and thanks in advance! :)
Personally, I wouldn't consider hapas URM at all but they would be considered racialy diverse.

I mean, I'm not trying to pass as URM at all. I merely think that being mixed is a different experience than to be of a single race. I still consider myself ORM, just not of one race. But thank you for pointing that out, I will make sure to indicate I am not trying to be something I'm not. :)