Mizzou class of 2014!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where were you reading this info? I'd like to see it! 🙂

Ditto!

I also didn't know little sibs were picked...what info do they give you guys so you can 'pick'? Doesn't really matter, I'm just curious. I always assumed it was a random assignment.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hopefully we would will be hearing from our big sibs soon! I have so many questions 🙂

Ok one quick one though if anyone would mind answering! I was thinking today about dress code for class and laboratory. The dress code states for instructional periods 1-11: Clean pants, slacks, dresses or blouses, and dress shirts with ties are desirable. Sport shirts without ties are sometimes appropriate. First for classes, do most people wear black pants or khakies or are jeans the every day wear? I dont really have many dress clothes so I am hoping that jeans are it! Also, how many pairs of scrubs would you recommend for labs? Need to get purchasing some more clothes I think 🙂

Technically, what you wrote above is the dress code which can be enforced at any time. However, most of us wear jeans, plain t-shirts (either with a Mizzou logo, no logo, or a dressier shirt of some kind... you're probably fine as long as it doesn't have a logo for another school on it or holes in it!), and flip flops/sneakers. If at any point we happen to piss off the heads of the school, however, they can certainly see to it that the real dress code is enforced. My class has been warned several times about it now and they're threatening to pull it on us due to bared shoulders (a big no-no) and jeans with holes in them (from wear and tear or directly off the shelf at the store), so do be mindful of that. Otherwise, it's very laid back.

As for scrubs, you really only need one pair that you're willing to throw out after your first year, and you might want to get a lower quality lab coat for the days when you can't bear to put on the nastiness that those scrubs will become. Most people just take their stuff home to wash once a week, and any more than that will be a waste of time, but everything you own will smell. I feel your pain in advance! Really don't spend money on nice scrubs for this. We have school scrubs here that everyone fell in love with and bought for lab this year, but now they're ruined and have to be replaced, so that was kind of wasteful lol.
 
Ditto!

I also didn't know little sibs were picked...what info do they give you guys so you can 'pick'? Doesn't really matter, I'm just curious. I always assumed it was a random assignment.

LOL It's nothing too extensive. We have a spreadsheet filled out with all of your names, the state you're from, and the name of your undergrad institution. Some people choose siblings or friends, other people choose little sibs by state (helps for OOS littles to have an OOS big who's been there, etc.) or university, and some people do choose randomly LOL. I picked my little sib because I work with her in the clinic and I thought it would be helpful to have a friendly, familiar face. My big sib picked me because she spent her undergrad years in Florida and I am still a Florida resident (but not for long). It just differs.
 
Hey guys! Check your mailboxes..I got an information packet today along with a 'How to Study in Medical School' book from Mizzou. 🙂
 
Turns out it isn't too exciting but it included a letter from Dr. Youngquist restating some info (immunizations, dress code, insurance, etc) and dates for VET (Aug 15-18) and Orientation (Aug 19). There's also a letter about the combined MPH program and one from a psychologist about studying/handling stress in addition to the book. The book looks pretty good actually...it's kind of making me nervous though!

It looks like we can't access the schedule for orientation or anything like that until we get our authorization for the school's system which wasn't included in this packet...wonder when that will come.
 
Turns out it isn't too exciting but it included a letter from Dr. Youngquist restating some info (immunizations, dress code, insurance, etc) and dates for VET (Aug 15-18) and Orientation (Aug 19). There's also a letter about the combined MPH program and one from a psychologist about studying/handling stress in addition to the book. The book looks pretty good actually...it's kind of making me nervous though!

It looks like we can't access the schedule for orientation or anything like that until we get our authorization for the school's system which wasn't included in this packet...wonder when that will come.

Thanks! I will be looking out for it. Any information is good. Makes going to Vet school seem all the more real. 😍
 
Turns out it isn't too exciting but it included a letter from Dr. Youngquist restating some info (immunizations, dress code, insurance, etc) and dates for VET (Aug 15-18) and Orientation (Aug 19). There's also a letter about the combined MPH program and one from a psychologist about studying/handling stress in addition to the book. The book looks pretty good actually...it's kind of making me nervous though!

It looks like we can't access the schedule for orientation or anything like that until we get our authorization for the school's system which wasn't included in this packet...wonder when that will come.

Ooo! Can't wait to get it.
 
Technically, what you wrote above is the dress code which can be enforced at any time. However, most of us wear jeans, plain t-shirts (either with a Mizzou logo, no logo, or a dressier shirt of some kind... you're probably fine as long as it doesn't have a logo for another school on it or holes in it!), and flip flops/sneakers. If at any point we happen to piss off the heads of the school, however, they can certainly see to it that the real dress code is enforced. My class has been warned several times about it now and they're threatening to pull it on us due to bared shoulders (a big no-no) and jeans with holes in them (from wear and tear or directly off the shelf at the store), so do be mindful of that. Otherwise, it's very laid back.

As for scrubs, you really only need one pair that you're willing to throw out after your first year, and you might want to get a lower quality lab coat for the days when you can't bear to put on the nastiness that those scrubs will become. Most people just take their stuff home to wash once a week, and any more than that will be a waste of time, but everything you own will smell. I feel your pain in advance! Really don't spend money on nice scrubs for this. We have school scrubs here that everyone fell in love with and bought for lab this year, but now they're ruined and have to be replaced, so that was kind of wasteful lol.

PS for you new second years for next spring/summer...Dr. Mann doesn't like it when people wear baseball hats in lecture. He gave us a little talking to about this. 🙄 I don't wear them, so I was like eh, whatever, but just a heads up. Other than that, yeah, I'd get like 2 pairs of cheapy scrubs. I wouldn't just get one, because you never know when it's a good idea to have a spare in your locker so you can have something non-gross to wear home. I took my stuff home to wash probably twice a week and I was not too bad. I also had Febreeze in my locker and I loaned it out to various people multiple times. :laugh: And people do wear non-Mizzou stuff sometimes and I don't think anyone has said anything in the past. ****cough cough RazorDoc cough cough**** 😉

BTW, quite a few clinical rotations like pathology, equine, food animal, etc are pretty much wear what is comfortable since you'll just be wearing coveralls anyways. Most like wearing t-shirts and jeans for that, but I prefer scrub pants since they are cooler than jeans in warm weather and tuck into boots easier than jeans.

A little further on up, I only went to one day of the VET thing and it was fine. I hate kumbaya crap and I honestly could have done without it all. I obviously didn't drop out either. 😉 To be honest, I wish they'd do that kind of thing AFTER first year or before you start clinics instead of or in addition to before vet school. JMO.
 
Did anybody else get the email with information about for our new Mizzou emails and other login info?

I was about to get into the MyZou page or whatever, but the login info. for my Windows Live account wasn't working. Anyone else having any issues?
 
Did anybody else get the email with information about for our new Mizzou emails and other login info?

I was about to get into the MyZou page or whatever, but the login info. for my Windows Live account wasn't working. Anyone else having any issues?

Mine didn't work either... I called the IT guy and he said that I wasn't the only one. He had me forward the email with my info back to him and he says he'll be working on it.

And I was so excited about setting up my new email too 🙁
 
I don't even have the email yet....

Is financial aid info something that will be emailed to us? I'm getting kind of antsy about that...
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah im trying to set up mine right now (got the email like an hour ago then the email with further instructions a few mins ago) but the password recovery page is taking FOREVER to load to we shall see i suppose..
 
I haven't received one yet either...Hopefully they are just sending emails one by one and it's just taking a bit. Maybe OOS students are getting theirs first? I was getting nervous too, glad it's not just me! I'm probably going to email Kathy sometime tomorrow if I don't have the email by then.
 
Yea, I'm still having problems setting up the account. Maybe they still haven't flushed out the problems yet. It will probably get fixed soon.
 
I haven't received one yet either...Hopefully they are just sending emails one by one and it's just taking a bit. Maybe OOS students are getting theirs first? I was getting nervous too, glad it's not just me! I'm probably going to email Kathy sometime tomorrow if I don't have the email by then.

I'm pretty sure Kathy is out of town this week. I would e-mail Greg Kelly instead, he's the Vet Med IT guy.
 
So, after a long day with the IT guys, I was finally able to set up my myzou and email accounts. Apparently, by being previously enrolled at a sister campus, some wires were crossed, and it was just all around confusing.
Anyways, I was just wondering if you guys got any other emails from vet med besides one from Greg asking to reply about any important info or anything? Also, does anything actually show up on the MyZou account for you guys? I tried to access the Student Center but it won't let me. Anything important there I'm missing?
I swear, I'm not usually this technologically ******ed.
 
Am I the only one that didn't get this email? I guess I'll give it one more day then shoot out some emails but this is starting to make me nervous!
 
I would definitely call that Greg Kelly tomorrow. I didn't get an email either, I called. I had taken a few classes at UMKC, so apparently I was already apart of the system, but my set up was pretty difficult to do to switch it over to the MU system. He's a pretty friendly guy and easy to get a hold of.
 
So, after a long day with the IT guys, I was finally able to set up my myzou and email accounts. Apparently, by being previously enrolled at a sister campus, some wires were crossed, and it was just all around confusing.
Anyways, I was just wondering if you guys got any other emails from vet med besides one from Greg asking to reply about any important info or anything? Also, does anything actually show up on the MyZou account for you guys? I tried to access the Student Center but it won't let me. Anything important there I'm missing?
I swear, I'm not usually this technologically ******ed.

haha good im glad im not the only one with problems.. finally got mine to work also after spending a good deal of time messing around with it/on the phone. anyways, no nothing shows up on mine either.. does anyone have any financial aid information entered since that is kinda the most important thing to me??
 
haha good im glad im not the only one with problems.. finally got mine to work also after spending a good deal of time messing around with it/on the phone. anyways, no nothing shows up on mine either.. does anyone have any financial aid information entered since that is kinda the most important thing to me??


Just got mine set up and there's no info on any fin aid, scheduling or anything like that. I do have a couple emails besides the one from Greg Kelly though. Is it possible to change the handle they assigned us? I'm not really a fan of the random letters after my initials....
 
Just got mine set up and there's no info on any fin aid, scheduling or anything like that. I do have a couple emails besides the one from Greg Kelly though. Is it possible to change the handle they assigned us? I'm not really a fan of the random letters after my initials....

I know..I'm 5F9.
 
Hi everyone!
Just wanted to check in and see if anyone has heard anything about financial aid yet. Not one word here but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something like I almost did with the email account. I thought I heard somewhere they were planning on sending info in early June so I thought it would be here by now. I know everyone says we WILL get enough funding but I'm still pretty anxious to figure it out.
 
Hi everyone!
Just wanted to check in and see if anyone has heard anything about financial aid yet. Not one word here but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something like I almost did with the email account. I thought I heard somewhere they were planning on sending info in early June so I thought it would be here by now. I know everyone says we WILL get enough funding but I'm still pretty anxious to figure it out.

Our financial aid summaries were just posted today on MyZou!
 
Awesome thanks! I actually had no idea how to use MyZou until just now haha. Kind of confusing compared to my previous school's system! Looks like I did received 2 federal loans...just have to accept now I guess. Whew! What a relief! Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Awesome thanks! I actually had no idea how to use MyZou until just now haha. Kind of confusing compared to my previous school's system! Looks like I did received 2 federal loans...just have to accept now I guess. Whew! What a relief! Thanks!

You're welcome! 🙂 It IS very confusing!
 
Wow they even have our schedule posted...I feel like I was left out of the loop or something! 😉 Do we really only have class for a couple hours a day? That can't be right...
 
Awesome! I am way too excited to get this financial aid. For some reason, I was terrified I wouldn't get enough money to attend. It's FINALLY starting to feel real!
 
Awesome! I am way too excited to get this financial aid. For some reason, I was terrified I wouldn't get enough money to attend. It's FINALLY starting to feel real!

Same here. I'll sleep better at night now!

Thanks for the schedule Zeebra44, that makes a lot more sense. It really feels real now! Can't wait for August!
 
Ouch, its a bit painful to look at this first year (out of state) financial aid stuff. Super excited though!!

Did anyone else apply for those scholarships as well? Anyone happen to know when they're letting us know about that (or maybe they already have an i just didn't get one, lol)?
 
Ouch, its a bit painful to look at this first year (out of state) financial aid stuff. Super excited though!!

Did anyone else apply for those scholarships as well? Anyone happen to know when they're letting us know about that (or maybe they already have an i just didn't get one, lol)?

I know...I'm in state and experiencing sticker shock so can't imagine being out of state!

I applied for some scholarships and haven't heard anything....maybe they just don't inform us if we don't get one. I was only eligible for a couple anyway.
 
Hey does anyone happen to have the correct phone number if i want to get some help with my loans? I tried the one i got off the site, and the school psychologist picked up and said the financial aid person is only there Wednesday afternoon, but i figure there must be someone else..?

I'm about to punch a hole thru my computer screen trying to accept this graduate PLUS loan. So if anyone has a clue how to do it, i'm very open to advice.

On a much better note, only a bit more than a month until we start 👍
 
Hey does anyone happen to have the correct phone number if i want to get some help with my loans? I tried the one i got off the site, and the school psychologist picked up and said the financial aid person is only there Wednesday afternoon, but i figure there must be someone else..?

I'm about to punch a hole thru my computer screen trying to accept this graduate PLUS loan. So if anyone has a clue how to do it, i'm very open to advice.

On a much better note, only a bit more than a month until we start 👍

Hey, we have to fill out a separate application before the school can accept the loan on our behalf. I'll send you the link to your Facebook! It stumped me too, but I finally figured it out.
 
On an unrelated note...anyone else get their V.E.T. Info packet today? Looks pretty interesting. The deadlines are really soon to have the info back to them though! One week from today.
 
On an unrelated note...anyone else get their V.E.T. Info packet today? Looks pretty interesting. The deadlines are really soon to have the info back to them though! One week from today.

No! Jealous!! 😛
 
No! Jealous!! 😛

The perks of living 2 hours from the school I guess! Sorry to ruin the surprise 😉! It's a bunch of release forms, brochures and our schedule. The forms they want back are just to let them know if you're going to attend or not plus a copy of your insurance card. I'm definitely going! It looks like it's something you don't want to miss out on.
 
The perks of living 2 hours from the school I guess! Sorry to ruin the surprise 😉! It's a bunch of release forms, brochures and our schedule. The forms they want back are just to let them know if you're going to attend or not plus a copy of your insurance card. I'm definitely going! It looks like it's something you don't want to miss out on.

I went and checked my mail, and it was there! It looks really fun, and I'm excited about it/definitely going to attend, but I'm sure there will be people turned off by the fact that it's at a Baptist camp. I was poking around on the website and it's a "Christ-centered camp" where the dress code has to be appropriate for a "Christian atmosphere". That doesn't offend me, but I sincerely hope it doesn't keep other students from attending. I wish they could have kept the location more neutral. Do any current Mizzou students have comments on this?
 
Yikes only a week? I'm away, so i'll be relying on good ol mom to take care of that for me. Actually i'm kind of curious to see her reaction to the whole christian thing, since i come from a jewish family lol. I don't really care since i don't think i wear anything that's 'unchristian' anyways, still funny.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yikes only a week? I'm away, so i'll be relying on good ol mom to take care of that for me. Actually i'm kind of curious to see her reaction to the whole christian thing, since i come from a jewish family lol. I don't really care since i don't think i wear anything that's 'unchristian' anyways, still funny.

Yeah, just make sure to bring swim trunks...since Speedos are not allowed! Haha :laugh:
 
Hmmm, The Grad PLUS loan has got me stumped too 😳. Zeebra, if you could PM me the link/process, I would greatly appreciate it.
 
I went and checked my mail, and it was there! It looks really fun, and I'm excited about it/definitely going to attend, but I'm sure there will be people turned off by the fact that it's at a Baptist camp. I was poking around on the website and it's a "Christ-centered camp" where the dress code has to be appropriate for a "Christian atmosphere". That doesn't offend me, but I sincerely hope it doesn't keep other students from attending. I wish they could have kept the location more neutral. Do any current Mizzou students have comments on this?

I felt the same way that you do now about the camp, although I am a (very liberal, anti-organized-religion) Christian. I was relieved to find out that the religious overtones I was expecting at the camp were non-existent. You'll forget that it's a Baptist camp until you want to go swimming in the lake and have to double back to your room for a shirt to cover the top of your swimsuit (which I found amusing only because the website has pictures of underage ass hanging out of bathing suit bottoms, but tops are the issue? lol ooooookay...). The school doesn't use the location for anything outside of the expected vet school fun, so there are no prayer meetings in the corner between activities or anything like that, and I tried to remember that I would have wanted to dress conservatively anyway because we met every day with our superiors (professors and potential future employers WILL be accompanying you on this adventure), so it's not much different from meeting at a neutral, religious-association-less hotel in the end. I did wonder what the general response would have been if they hosted it in a Muslim or Hindu camp instead of a Baptist one that no one else seemed bothered by, though. :laugh:
 
Any tips on type of dress for dinner, etc? Its says casual save for one evening which is business casual so are jeans okay on the other nights? Or should we just plan on business casual whenever we aren't doing the group activities?

The line about remembering that the composite photo will follow us for the next four years made me laugh! No pressure...
 
Any tips on type of dress for dinner, etc? Its says casual save for one evening which is business casual so are jeans okay on the other nights? Or should we just plan on business casual whenever we aren't doing the group activities?

The line about remembering that the composite photo will follow us for the next four years made me laugh! No pressure...

For the normal nights, jeans/gym shorts of acceptable length and T shirts are fine. Some people will dress up anyway, but most of you aren't going to want to. They keep you awake and doing indoor and outdoor activities from about 6 am to 8 pm most days, so you'll be too tired, sweaty, and hungry to care by the time dinner rolls around LOL.

As for the composite photo, I wouldn't worry about that either. They forgot to take ours when we were all dressed up nicely and wound up taking it the night we left (I believe) in the rain when we were sweaty and disgusting LOL. I have NEVER seen our class composite, so yours will surely not come back to haunt you. I hope LOL.