Modeling as an extracurricular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zahmata

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be alright for me to list modeling as one of my extracurricular activities? I went to a casting call for my state's fashion week as a joke with a few of my friends, but was called back as a runway model. After that, I was signed to Ford modeling agency a little bit before my freshman year of college and have since been included in a few advertising campaigns, catwalks, and cover shoots. I was considering including it on my application because it's taken up so much of my time, but I'm afraid of the impression that it may make on an admissions committee--namely, the stereotype of models being airheads. I'm also worried that they may be turned off because of my busy schedule. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a great EC.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be alright for me to list modeling as one of my extracurricular activities? I went to a casting call for my state's fashion week as a joke with a few of my friends, but was called back as a runway model. After that, I was signed to Ford modeling agency a little bit before my freshman year of college and have since been included in a few advertising campaigns, catwalks, and cover shoots. I was considering including it on my application because it's taken up so much of my time, but I'm afraid of the impression that it may make on an admissions committee--namely, the stereotype of models being airheads. I'm also worried that they may be turned off because of my busy schedule. Thoughts?
Your grades/mcat/possible research should assuage any concerns about your intelligence. Being used to being busy is generally a good thing. Sounds like a good ec to me

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll go ahead and list it.
Make sure you also list what you learned from it! I think modelling potentially teaches one a lot about the human experience and team working !

Reactions: 1 user
I was a professional dancer and several interviewers asked me about it

I was a professional dancer and several interviewers asked me about it
Did you ever miss class as a dancer? If you did, did the admissions committee seem concerned? I've missed a few days here and there and I was wondering if my level of involvement would lead them to doubt my commitment to medicine.

They won’t care as long as you’re honest.

You know you didn’t go as a joke. Own it.

Did you ever miss class as a dancer? If you did, did the admissions committee seem concerned? I've missed a few days here and there and I was wondering if my level of involvement would lead them to doubt my commitment to medicine.

No. They just thought it was cool.

Definitely list it-- very unique

Modeling as an extracurricular?
Didn't you get paid? Rather than designating this as an Extracurricular, put it under Employment-Not Medical/Clinical. If you weren't paid, call it a Hobby or Artistic Endeavor.