Molecular Biology, MCAT, and GPA for Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puffy2005

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am a biology and chemistry double major, and currently a sophomore. I've been working on a 4 year plan with my advisor and we recently came across a problem. I have four options, according to him:
1. Put off Physics II until spring of senior year, and take molecular next spring instead
2. Drop my chemistry major (I would really prefer if I did not have to do this)
3. Self study molecular biology before taking the MCAT
4. See if I can audit the class (sit in for lectures, but won't show up on transcript/no tests, quizzes, or labs).
I am trying to do option 4, but if that doesn't work out, what would you all recommend?
I prefer to keep my chemistry major for a variety of reasons (stand out better on medical school apps, raise math and science GPA (hopefully), and for the sheer reason that I enjoy it).

One other question- my math and science GPA is not the highest. I have got two C's, but no D or F. My school does not consider + or - in factoring for GPA. I believe (besides always trying to bring up GPA) the next most important thing would be my MCAT score? What else should I really focus on? I got accepted to do research this summer, and I'm currently shadowing a general physician.

This is my first time on this site. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First of all, we might need some more details. Is molecular biology required by your bio major? For me, it was an upper division course and did it really help studying for the MCAT... not so much. They don't test anything in meticulous detail on the MCAT because they know that many students rarely take molec bio. Physics II however is on the MCAT and you should take that before taking the MCAT. Can you give us a little more detail about this.

Regarding your GPA, MCAT, etc. You're doing fine, but no more C's okay!?! 2 C's won't hurt your application as long as you keep a upward trend and continue with your EC's. You're doing great! Don't let up though, keep pushing! Also, EC's DO NOT REPLACE good GPA and MCAT. Make sure those are in good standing before you take on an enormous amount of ECs, leadership, etc.

Welcome to SDN! =]

First of all, we might need some more details. Is molecular biology required by your bio major? For me, it was an upper division course and did it really help studying for the MCAT... not so much. They don't test anything in meticulous detail on the MCAT because they know that many students rarely take molec bio. Physics II however is on the MCAT and you should take that before taking the MCAT. Can you give us a little more detail about this.

Regarding your GPA, MCAT, etc. You're doing fine, but no more C's okay!?! 2 C's won't hurt your application as long as you keep a upward trend and continue with your EC's. You're doing great! Don't let up though, keep pushing! Also, EC's DO NOT REPLACE good GPA and MCAT. Make sure those are in good standing before you take on an enormous amount of ECs, leadership, etc.

Welcome to SDN! =]

Molecular biology isn't required for my biology major (cell biology is, and I completed it already).
Upward trend (at least for this semester) is going well! Currently have an 89 in genetics, 88 in calculus, and a 87 in orgo II... I believe I'll be able to push up at least genetics and calculus!
I plan on doing nothing next summer but studying for the MCAT, getting more clinical volunteer hours, and taking the MCAT, so I feel fairly confident that I can do well there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell you what. Make another post asking if molecular biology is necessary for the MCAT and get multiple opinions on it. If many people say no, take physics II and find a later time to add molec bio. I don't think its necessary but check with more than 1 source.

Sounds like you're on top of everything else. Get those high 80's into low 90's. Hopefully your school gives A's for low 90's, if not... just do the best you can!

If you don't need molecular bio for your major, you don't need to take it. It is not a pre-req at most (any?) schools and is not tested on the MCAT (I didn't take it and did not have any issues with the MCAT). Physics II is definitely more important for the MCAT.

As for general advice, focus on getting those grades up to As! Once you are comfortable with your schoolwork, think about finding opportunities for more clinical exposure and also other non-clinical volunteering to show dedication to serving others.

Good luck!